Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Best rat vhs cover is Food of the Gods Part 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ok ngl ur right thats def the best cover

is the movie any good?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kvlt! posted:

is the movie any good?

gently caress no

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

but...the covers so cool 🥺

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kvlt! posted:

best rat movie is the original willard thats a straight fact not even an opinion tbqh

It's not even the best movie in the Willard series.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Watching that claymation From Beyond short made me realize that I really enjoy it when the horrors are conjured or revealed in novel ways. The tuning forks that reveal the creepy crawlies to our brains, the puzzle box summoning the cenobites, the horn of abraxis calling the drugged out psycho bikers, the videotapes with the videodrome signal that causes the viewers to hallucinate, its all cool and creative and quasi-magical but somehow believable. Are there any others I'm missing? I'm not including incantations/reading the magic words aloud or satanic rituals, those are a whole other thing to me.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

She had the conch shell in her hand...

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

but...the covers so cool 🥺

This perfectly encapsulates how I felt as a kid being told that I couldn't rent horror movies

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
I just got back from an advance screening of Color Out of Space, which was super dope except for Cage’s choice to do a Trump accent when he goes crazy, which was a little distracting.

The screening I went to had footage from the (I think) LA film festival with a Q&A hosted by Patton Oswalt with Stanley and the cast. It was pretty good overall, with two standout elements:

1) the second film in the planned trilogy is the Dunwich Horror

2) this:

http://twitter.com/benito_cereno/status/1220169562932633601

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Kvlt! posted:

is the movie any good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HZJWMN7WbA

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bless Nic Cage, this world is a better place with him in it.

I really loved The Color Out of Space, it was beautiful and grotesque and just a treat to watch.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'd been wanting to watch Sweetheart and noticed it was on Netflix.

Man, I wish we could get more tight, fun monster movies like that. Not perfect, but a solid little creature flick with a lot of tense scenes in the first two acts. I think it gets a little weaker once the other two people show up but Kiersey Clemons did a great job giving a compelling performance without even speaking for large chunks of the movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Color Out of Space kinda rules. It’s probably the slowest burning Lovecraft adaptation, which makes it a unique and great experience. Nowhere near as bonkers as From Beyond, but its not trying to be bonkers. I’ll post more thoughts about it later.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 23, 2020

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Benito Cereno posted:

I just got back from an advance screening of Color Out of Space, which was super dope except for Cage’s choice to do a Trump accent when he goes crazy, which was a little distracting.

The screening I went to had footage from the (I think) LA film festival with a Q&A hosted by Patton Oswalt with Stanley and the cast. It was pretty good overall, with two standout elements:

1) the second film in the planned trilogy is the Dunwich Horror

2) this:

http://twitter.com/benito_cereno/status/1220169562932633601

I must not watch enough cable news because to me it was just a Crazy Nic Cage voice. Thinking about it, that might be why the audience laughed knowingly when he did it.
And yeah, that jacket Cage was wearing for the Q&A was amazing.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Just got back from Color Out Of Space. Absolutely adored it

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I actually thought it was pretty sweet of Nic Cage and Richard Stanley to compliment the editor so much, and kinda halt the interview to get the rest of the (present) cast onstage.

Edit: Also Nic Cage’s story of Stanley combining two meteor pieces and making “blood” pour out of them at the first table read.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 23, 2020

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Mister Bates posted:

Fixing to go see the advance screening of Color Out of Space at the local arty theater, which starts in less than an hour. Will report back.

things I hope to see include but are not limited to:
- 80s-esque synth compositions in the score
- hallucinatory psychedelic poo poo
- animatronics covered in goo
- Nicholas Cage

am pleased to report that the film has all of these things in copious amounts

Just a fantastic movie, a ton of fun, visually stunning.

Takes a long time to get going and then after a slow build cranks the insanity up to 11.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
My favorite killer rats movies will always be Deadly Eyes and Rats: Night of Terror.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Has there been any good Japanese Horror this decade? or the last 20 years for that matter? I've seen a few but I know I'm missing a ton.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

There's been a good number of very good Japanese horror in the last 20 years I mean just right off the bat One Cut of the Dead

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Hollismason posted:

My deep cut Lovecraft choice is Dark Waters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldB7793MSsE

Quoting this because while Color Out of Space deserves all the love it's getting and I really want Nic's jacket, Dark Waters also rules and everyone should watch it. Now I want to watch it again.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
advance screening of coos was really fun. it cracks me up how many movies have that exact same lookin kid with the too big glasses.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Tertius Oculum posted:

Has there been any good Japanese Horror this decade? or the last 20 years for that matter? I've seen a few but I know I'm missing a ton.

I am going to recommend Vampire Clay.

BrendianaJones posted:

I'd been wanting to watch Sweetheart and noticed it was on Netflix.

Man, I wish we could get more tight, fun monster movies like that. Not perfect, but a solid little creature flick with a lot of tense scenes in the first two acts. I think it gets a little weaker once the other two people show up but Kiersey Clemons did a great job giving a compelling performance without even speaking for large chunks of the movie.

Hell yeah, really enjoyed seeing this at Fantastic Fest last year. More practical effects and monsters!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hell yes im gonna watch Color Out Of Space tonight and im hot drat amped

Edit: it was loving great. score is u n r e a l, Colin Stetson doing gods work once again

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jan 23, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Richard Stanley mentioned that the next Lovecraft film he's doing is The Dunwich Horror, which he is currently writing.

I'm curious if he's thinking of (lite Color Out of Space spoilers) using the meteor as a catalyst for the horrors that appear in the next two films or if it's gonna be completely self-contained. In the Q&A, he was a bit reluctant to share, and answered with a light joke.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm almost certain that the tie-in will be the "some of grandpa's things" the kids found and at least one of the movies will take place chronologically earlier.

Glad the next movie is Dunwich Horror, but we already had a film of that in the 70s! Lavinia was originally a character from DH, so I wouldn't be surprised if she makes an appearance in that film as a past life or something. (Which also ties the color to Yog-Sothoth in a cool, trilogy appropriate way. )

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Others who have seen it can lend their opinions, but I was trying to articulate how this Lovecraft adaptation is different than other Lovecraft adaptations or Lovecraftian stories.

Color Out of Space is, to me, mostly similar to Hereditary. There's absolutely an otherworldly entity invading a family's life, but really it's all about the family in the center of this conflict, and how it affects their relationships. I can't really think of a Lovecraftian film that is more interested in the human relationships like Color is; usually it's more about people dealing with their decimation, or a relationship dealing with itself (like The Void, The Endless)

I guess also Darabont's The Mist, but that has a lot of Lord of the Flies-type tribalism in addition to the family trying to survive.

edit: Unrelated to an extent, I read up about Stanley's interest in Lovecraft, which came from his mother, who loved the author. Stanley would read her HP Lovecraft stories when she was suffering from cancer. It feels, in a way, vulnerable for him to include that aspect into his adaptation.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 23, 2020

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

moths posted:

I'm almost certain that the tie-in will be the "some of grandpa's things" the kids found and at least one of the movies will take place chronologically earlier.

Glad the next movie is Dunwich Horror, but we already had a film of that in the 70s! Lavinia was originally a character from DH, so I wouldn't be surprised if she makes an appearance in that film as a past life or something. (Which also ties the color to Yog-Sothoth in a cool, trilogy appropriate way. )

They've said they want to use the same character, the hydrologist, in all three films so probably no shenanigans.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Speaking of the Willard Remake, enjoy Crispin Glover singing Michael Jackson’s Ben to R Lee Ermey and Hitler.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YTKNahASSDI

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Snack Bitch posted:

I am going to recommend Vampire Clay.

I second the recommendation. I didn't have expectations either way at the beginning, but once it started taking off it was really good.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Completely agreed. Most Lovecraft adaptations feature a weirdo loner protagonists, but Color was family-driven which makes it categorically similar to Hereditary. There were often families present, but as background at best or props at worst.

A lot of that results from strict adherence the source material, which nearly universally shies away from interpersonal relationships. Which is a shame, since Color shows what happens when you incorporate them.

Dunwich Horror had a lot of family themes, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he ties that family to this one.

E:

Relevant Tangent posted:

They've said they want to use the same character, the hydrologist, in all three films so probably no shenanigans.

Huh. They laid a lot of groundwork for prequels, but maybe that was just setting up flashbacks.

moths fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 23, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Apparently Dunwich Horror is the next one Stanley is doing?

Anyway, I'm glad so many folks are liking Color, it was super good.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Glad to see some love for Vampire Clay! That movie slaps and has about 5 false endings before it finally wraps up. Love it.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Group watched Super Dark Times yesterday. We discussed it for quite a while. Would love to hear people's takes on the themes, as well as the first and last scenes.

People were split on how they interpreted the movie, especially in the context of the first and final scenes. People did some reading on Reddit in real time as we were discussing, and there is a theory that Allison was actually in on the murders with Josh. The idea seems to be that the first scene with the deer is showing Allison has a fascination with death. It then goes into a detailed assessment of her body language with Josh, especially in the final scenes leading up to the murder of her friend. It suggests that off-screen she pursues a relationship with Josh after being rejected by the main character, finds out about the murder and shows she is into that, and that the final murder was pre-orchestrated by her and had a sexual component for her. Then the final scene features Allison only, her her doing her playful hair twirl motif near her scars, and the teacher asks a question about "what is the role of women in the industrial revolution" and Allison raises her hand as it as it fades out. The theory interprets this as her showing she had an active role.

I don't really buy this theory. In my mind the movie was similar to It Follows in that it was about the loss of innocence in the transition from teenager to adult. The entire movie was about a traumatic event that happened, and how it shaped the main characters differently. It focuses on Zach, who has a relatively expected emotional reaction, but off-screen Josh is undergoing a very different set of changes. Allison just sort of gets caught up in this by accident, but eventually she is directly involved and experiences the trauma herself. The animal-that-has-to-be-put-down motif used in the first scene is showing Allison's first exposure to the dangers of the real world. The final scene is showing that she has no faced trauma directly, overcome it, and is moving on.

They are pretty different readings of the movie, so I'm curious what you all took away from it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Watched Thoroughbreds last night. Really impressed by Cooke and Taylor-Joy, I knew it was gonna be mostly centered around their relationship but I didn't expect to be so engaged by their interactions. Typically the word "interesting" is a bit of a backhanded compliment for a film but here I really was just super interested in the dynamic between the two of them. It's not a movie that would seem to be likely sequel material but I really wouldn't mind spending more time observing that weird, fascinating relationship.

One thing I was struck by was the soundtrack. Lots of weird off-kilter sounds and noises that keep you from every really settling in.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Watched Thoroughbreds last night. Really impressed by Cooke and Taylor-Joy, I knew it was gonna be mostly centered around their relationship but I didn't expect to be so engaged by their interactions. Typically the word "interesting" is a bit of a backhanded compliment for a film but here I really was just super interested in the dynamic between the two of them. It's not a movie that would seem to be likely sequel material but I really wouldn't mind spending more time observing that weird, fascinating relationship.

One thing I was struck by was the soundtrack. Lots of weird off-kilter sounds and noises that keep you from every really settling in.

In the trailer for The Turning (which looks good), there's a line about "the children are thoroughbreds". I've seen the trailer 3-4 times now and each time I'm reminded how much I liked Thoroughbreds. Really should rewatch it soon. I'm not super familiar with Olivia Cooke, but she was great, Anya Taylor-Joy is quickly becoming one of my favorite people working in Hollywood, and I absolutely love Anton Yelchin in just about everything he was in. RIP, king.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Yes! Yes!! Very happy you enjoyed it.

The soundtrack was also my favorite of 2018, and I really haven't been as impressed by a soundtrack since, although Uncut Gems and You Were Never Really There are very close.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Relevant Tangent posted:

Oh my God that poor man.

Seriously, can you imagine going through something like The Color Out of Space and then having to go through similar horrific events two more times? By the end of the trilogy that character is going to be an insane mess, which is appropriate for a lovecraftian film series.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

If they go that route he's going to be very blaise about weird poo poo by the end while being utterly deranged to anyone who interacts with him. A Call of Cthulhu tabletop character, basically and that'll be a challenge to write and to act. I hope they do it, that's not a character type you see in Lovecraft very often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I greatly appreciate casting a black man as the protagonist of a series of Lovecraft adaptions

that doesn't really seem like a spoiler to me but everyone else is doing it, so :shrug: