Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Applesnots posted:

The HMS Dreadnought is still the best ship name ever, closely following it is Sinky II
:colbert:

Ed: this also might be because I played a poo poo ton of Star Control as a teen.

Hell yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

:hfive:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

That Works posted:

This is wild. Any more details?

Not that I can find, other than most Soviet/Eastern Bloc warplans seem to think there will be a sudden NATO invasion where they start dropping big ones everywhere and the USSR will retaliate? You see that thinking in Seven Days to the River Rhine as well, so I’m guessing fear of surprise attack is just seared into Soviet military planning from that whole Barbarossa thing.

And I’ve found a few things that suggest the USSR said “no first use” unless they could prove a strike was coming, so the USSR hollering no first use as they turn Denmark into a crater is certainly an alternate reality

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 20, 2020

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
It's interesting how France is unscaved.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's interesting how France is unscaved.

I imagine nuking a nuclear power was a bridge too far for the Soviets

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Watching Germany and the SU go up in nuclear fire has got to be like one of the top five best conceivable ways to spend a day for a Pole.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I was at an event with lech Walesa as a speaker and he drew the exact opposite sentiment. He was stoked about Europe and Russia being more friendly (this was ca 1999 or so) because Poland was tired of being where the Russians and Germans hashed their poo poo out.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I've heard it more than once, but there is a apocryphal story about one of the first joint NATO/Polish exercises where there's a non-polish tank or AFV or whatever parked near a farm and the elderly owner comes out and asks if they're the Russians or the Germans come back again.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I imagine nuking a nuclear power was a bridge too far for the Soviets
France has semi-competent boomers and a "don't even think about loving with us" nuclear posture.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cyrano4747 posted:

I was at an event with lech Walesa as a speaker and he drew the exact opposite sentiment. He was stoked about Europe and Russia being more friendly (this was ca 1999 or so) because Poland was tired of being where the Russians and Germans hashed their poo poo out.

I'm jealous. I read his biography (autobiography maybe?) about 10 years ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. Seemed a very interesting person.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Not that I can find, other than most Soviet/Eastern Bloc warplans seem to think there will be a sudden NATO invasion where they start dropping big ones everywhere and the USSR will retaliate? You see that thinking in Seven Days to the River Rhine as well, so I’m guessing fear of surprise attack is just seared into Soviet military planning from that whole Barbarossa thing.

I mean, to be fair, this is exactly what NATO feared from the Soviets too. Neither side was apparently preparing for an unprovoked invasion, each side's propaganda to the contrary.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

SimonCat posted:

On the other hand, Trump will probably have it changed to the CSS Franklin Buchanan.

There have already been three US destroyers named after that dude so theres precedent.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cyrano4747 posted:

. . . of course now we just named a CVN after an enlisted man who won the medal of honor so time to add another set of exceptions and see whether this becomes a whole new thing or if it becomes a new parenthetical where we have to explain the hyper-partisan political scene in 2020, the Trump administration, and growing discomfort with naming carriers after recent presidents who happen to only be from one party.

My favorite USN ship name just might be CV-38; U.S.S. Shangri La.

After the Doolittle Raid, FDR was joking that the bombers took off from the fictional land of Shangri La. We built enough of the Essex class carriers that we could name one after a joke the president made. History does not record if IJN Intelligence got the joke.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

feedmegin posted:

There have already been three US destroyers named after that dude so theres precedent.

I should have known better.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I haven't seen this video about the Sprint missile yet, and given the thread's hard-on for it, it's definitely pro-click as it shows *failed* launches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk9mvLFNqMQ

Thanks, it's been a couple of years since I last fell into a 1960s ABM rabbit hole. HIBEX was even crazier: http://www.alternatewars.com/WW3/WW3_Documents/DARPA/DARPA_II_HIBEX.htm

And there's now a cool virtual tour of the Safeguard site in North Dakota: https://seekbeak.com/v/g531BorKzBL?utm_source=SRMSCorg&utm_medium=Link&utm_campaign=Launch

I desperately want to visit it but it really is in the middle of loving nowhere.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
That's only 90 minutes from Grand Forks. Maybe next time I'm there I'll go and take some pictures.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Is there no modern value to that kind of acceleration shown with Sprint? Seems like nothing new is comparable.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mazz posted:

Is there no modern value to that kind of acceleration shown with Sprint? Seems like nothing new is comparable.

Since the thing used a thermonuclear warhead to kill an incoming warhead (an actual "hit" was far beyond the capabilities of the time), the priority was to get it as far away from the ground as possible, as quickly as possible, and make that interception at very high altitude.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mazz posted:

accelerating something that quickly in the lower atmosphere is an incredibly inefficient use of rocket fuel. More modern interceptors are way, way more efficient when it comes to the use of their fuel. there really isn't a whole lot of reason to go much past Mach 5 until you're in the upper atmosphere assuming you're interceptor is tied to a powerful modern radar.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

That Works posted:

I'm jealous. I read his biography (autobiography maybe?) about 10 years ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. Seemed a very interesting person.

Yeah, he was a supremely interesting and very funny guy.

He told an extended joke by way of introducing us to the historical problems of polish statehood. I'm going to mangle the gently caress out of it, but it basically went "Poland is a wonderful country. We have lots of good farm land, many beautiful rivers, and wonderful plains. Just beautiful countryside, the sort that farmers want to grow food in and lovers want to picnic in. It's so wonderful that everyone loves to come to Poland! The Germans come, the Russians come . . . and we're happy to have visitors! We just ask that you clean up after yourselves and leave eventually."

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

bewbies posted:

accelerating something that quickly in the lower atmosphere is an incredibly inefficient use of rocket fuel. More modern interceptors are way, way more efficient when it comes to the use of their fuel. there really isn't a whole lot of reason to go much past Mach 5 until you're in the upper atmosphere assuming you're interceptor is tied to a powerful modern radar.

Doing 100gs in atmosphere is pretty :krad: though :haw:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

FuturePastNow posted:

Since the thing used a thermonuclear warhead to kill an incoming warhead (an actual "hit" was far beyond the capabilities of the time), the priority was to get it as far away from the ground as possible, as quickly as possible, and make that interception at very high altitude.

:goonsay: Actually the Sprint used a rather low-yield (but high enough if you could get it within the general vicinity of a reentry vehicle) to kill it either from the blast (~100m wide) or cook the warhead's circuitry with ~neutron flux~ up to ~1km (theoretically). It was, for all intents and purposes, a "nuclear CIWS" that could be used in the final seconds before impact. :black101:

It was the Spartan that used a huge fuckoff five megaton warhead, one that was tested underground in the Cannikin test in Alaska: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IrbuIIMY50

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 21, 2020

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It was the Spartan that used a huge fuckoff five megaton warhead, one that was tested underground in the Cannikin test in Alaska: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IrbuIIMY50

Now that's a nuclear landmine to get excited about!

IDGI.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

JcDent posted:

Now that's a nuclear landmine to get excited about!

IDGI.

USN has at times had a problem with sex crimes.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

bewbies posted:

Speaking of radar, Sprint was controlled from the ground by a 1MW beam that could get through the plasma that surrounding it as it burned through the sky at mach 10.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, he was a supremely interesting and very funny guy.

He told an extended joke by way of introducing us to the historical problems of polish statehood. I'm going to mangle the gently caress out of it, but it basically went "Poland is a wonderful country. We have lots of good farm land, many beautiful rivers, and wonderful plains. Just beautiful countryside, the sort that farmers want to grow food in and lovers want to picnic in. It's so wonderful that everyone loves to come to Poland! The Germans come, the Russians come . . . and we're happy to have visitors! We just ask that you clean up after yourselves and leave eventually."

I love it.

One of the bits I remember from his book was him mentioning that every now and then it's ok / a good idea to get really shitfaced to get your head around things or let your mind figure out where it needs to be, something along those lines.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

That Works posted:

USN has at times had a problem with sex crimes.

I thought it was about the Bureau of Personnel hack where everyone’s data got leaked, but that works too.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

crazypeltast52 posted:

I thought it was about the Bureau of Personnel hack where everyone’s data got leaked, but that works too.

Oh hey yeah that also goes good.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

piL fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jan 22, 2020

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Goddamnit, Canada

So Canada's spy agency is run entirely by CHUDs who are so fuckin' stupid they don't understand the value of people not identical to themselves

e: question for Americans: is it common for your coworkers to prank you into thinking terrorists are about to murder you and your family for the lolz? Oh and all the other Muslim coworkers are similarly pranked/physically assaulted, and the management is just winking at the perpetrators

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 22, 2020

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
F-35 doing something actually pretty neat

quote:

Lockheed Martin announced in a press release that two US Air Force F-35s were integrated with the US Army Integrated Air and Missile Defense Battle Command System, providing an airborne sensor capability to successfully detect, track and intercept near simultaneous air-breathing threats in a test at White Sands Missile Range, New Mexico. In December 2019, the F-35s were used as sensors during an IBCS live fire test against multiple airborne targets for the first time. Linking F-35s to IBCS via the Multifunction Advanced Data Link provided enhanced situational awareness and weapons-quality track data to engage airborne targets. The proof of concept demonstration reportedly used experimental equipment developed by Lockheed Martin, including the Harvest Lightning Ground Station and IBCS adaptation kit.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Goddamnit, Canada

So Canada's spy agency is run entirely by CHUDs who are so fuckin' stupid they don't understand the value of people not identical to themselves

e: question for Americans: is it common for your coworkers to prank you into thinking terrorists are about to murder you and your family for the lolz? Oh and all the other Muslim coworkers are similarly pranked/physically assaulted, and the management is just winking at the perpetrators

I've never personally seen it, but I've heard a few thirdhand complaints. Some about rudeness from co-workers, but more about the security side of the house. It's hard to say how much is prejudice and how much is that it really is harder to investigate someone with a background involving a potentially hostile country.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Mazz posted:

F-35 doing something actually pretty neat

Something actually working as intended? In God’s America???

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

near simultaneous air-breathing threats

Could someone translate this to civilian?

Does this means “lots of enemy planes”? Why only “near” simultaneous?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
To avoid false impressions “near” is often used in military parlance.

For a different example, Link-16 is near-real time data. This is both because there is inherently some level of lag on a system transmitting via RF, Satellite, internet, serial line, or whatever and also because Link-16 works by giving each net participant a very tiny interval in which to use the net, so users are uploading in (very fast) sequence rather than simultaneously. To the user the lag may be all of a second or several, but that still is not true “realtime.”

For this test could be anything from F-35 or IBCS system limitation, presentation of targets on the test range, or could be reference to Patriot launchers not launching missiles truly simultaneously, just in very quick succession.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's the air breathing part I don’t understand, like jet engine intake?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

If DOD can figure out how to make disparate transmitters reliably agree on their version of reality then holy poo poo we just fixed a bunch of Very Hard(tm) computer science problems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raft_(computer_science)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paxos_(computer_science)

E: This was meant to be a polite dig at Platystemon's question, no offense meant because it wasn't a bad question.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 23, 2020

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

Oh. Has an engine that uses air to function. Jet, turbojet, piston, etc. Not ballistic ordnance or rocket engine.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

bewbies posted:

The alternate wars article said that in-atmosphere terminal had the advantage of making target discrimination easier, lighter decoys would be stripped away. But you'd need a ridiculously fast reaction time to identify real targets, shoot, fly-out, and hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

zoux posted:

F-35 still ineffective against the piscine menace. What a shitshow of a program.