Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Gutcruncher posted:

After three years just give everyone the better version? I’m thrilled as hell, but wondering what’s in it for them!

They did this with Samsho 5S recently and I guess it was successful in driving sales, so why not? KOF97 has the same netcode, by the way.

This version also straight up replaces the crappy version Dotemu put out forever ago, which is excuse enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
*Stares at 98UM/2002UM/11 expectantly*

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Code Mystics are also going to do another pass on SamSho VSP in a bit, the guys who run the big specifically SamSho centered discord (And KK who's also been in there to chat poo poo and talk about junk forever) confirmed it and said what's already on the docket for changes, plus were asking for community suggestions that were sane to implement, which a lot of people were coming up with nice ones that I could definitely see getting on that change list too.

Homies excuse the ping but this is big and we need all vsp hands on deck
As many of you may know there is a VSP update in the works. With this in mind we want to see what the vsp players think are features that should be added

The main reason for the update are the implementation of lobby system so it is a good opportunity to get as much input in as possible and get some extra features added possibly.

The ideas that we were able to put together are as follows.

Major

*Lobbies (already confirmed)
*Spectating
*Replays (don't hold your breath, might be either impossible to implement or take too much resources but for argument's sake here it goes)
*Instant Rematch
*Training mode improvements
-record dummy
-record guard option
-record wake-up option
-fix the training options that do not work as intended

Minor
*Wins and losses being shown during a set
*Showing Win/Loss/Win% to the player themselves since win% is only visible to others and losses are nowhere to be found
*Modding tools for sprite recolours and what have you (again, might be too much work but for the record)

We would like to see what ideas you have and the best carefully selected by us (and most grounded in reality) will be sent to SNK directly.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I'm ten hours into learning Street Fighter V. I have no experience with fighting games other than streams but I got high and caught one of Sajam's videos and got inspired. Bought a stick and am being bodied repeatedly.

I'm trying really hard not to pay attention to whether I win or lose. I'm like 10-65 and get the brakes beaten off me for hours at a time. But once in a while I can actually hit a punish or stuff a jump in, or even cancel into a super to win a round (once) and it's loving amazing. Last night I got a mirror Rashid with double the character time and I somehow outplayed him in neutral to chip him down and win my first set. Then I took four perfects in a row from a rushdown Ken and wanted to rip my hair out.

It amazing how one match I feel like I can somewhat control what I'm doing, and the next I'm missing qcfs and look like an octopus falling out of a tree.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Fighting games are hard to be new at. I'm sure I've posted about my newbie experience before so you can check my posts if you want, but I got into the genre with a game old enough that everybody still playing was very experienced and so much better than me (kofXIII in 2015 lol). I had a 9% or so win rate after six months, give or take. It's part of the process to get stomped on.

You'll learn a lot faster and better by playing long sets with someone willing to talk to you rather than randos and ranked. You'll still lose a ton, but you'll have more fun and learn a lot. Join a goon discord from the op and get some matches in!

Edit: Also play kof

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
I think you can turn off the robot voice that tells you your record, you're going to lose a lot when new to FGs and that's totally normal.

SFV makes me irrationally angry whenever I try to get back into it, so I can sympathize with wanting to tear your hair out.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sfv is one of the more infuriating games to lose at imo

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Probably because it's a weird jerky flaily mess, and you just sat through all that only to lose. Samsho, you take one good counter hit, it's done, understandable, have a good day. The minute someone releases a mod for SFV that changes half the mechanics and just combines the V-Skills/Triggers into just Versions of the characters SFV will be actually fun. To me anyways. Somebody just fix the game already. The whole game. Fix it. Now.

After spending an hour in +R I don't think I will ever not be a Faust man. I also can't do anything as far as combos in the game yet so that might change while I work on it, but geez I just smack nerds from half across the screen while annoying them with little things I chuck out, it's too good.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Real hurthling! posted:

Sfv is one of the more infuriating games to lose at imo

SFIV and V both somehow induce a lot of sodium in me, which only guarantees that instead of getting up and walking away for a bit, I keep playing until I can't take it anymore and stop playing for a week.

3rd Strike doesn't do that to me, even though I'm a lot worse at 3rd Strike than I am IV/V.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Speaking of SamSho, would it be a good pickup for a beginner? It seems slower and footsie based and knowing what button to punish with instead of longer combos.

I'm going to get my rear end whipped regardless but it might make learning the fundamentals easier.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Hobojim posted:

Fighting games are hard to be new at. I'm sure I've posted about my newbie experience before so you can check my posts if you want, but I got into the genre with a game old enough that everybody still playing was very experienced and so much better than me (kofXIII in 2015 lol). I had a 9% or so win rate after six months, give or take. It's part of the process to get stomped on.

You'll learn a lot faster and better by playing long sets with someone willing to talk to you rather than randos and ranked. You'll still lose a ton, but you'll have more fun and learn a lot. Join a goon discord from the op and get some matches in!

Edit: Also play kof

i've learned more from going to locals and playing long sets with friends than I ever had online 2/3 sets with randoms.

BTW my match against hotashi went as you would expect but it didn't feel like I was completely inept. Even my friends were impressed at how not bad I did. I ended up going 1/2 in gear with my last match going to final game final round and then going 2/2 in bbtag. Overall i had a shitload of fun as evidenced by the background of the SFV and DBFZ streams.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Critical posted:

Speaking of SamSho, would it be a good pickup for a beginner? It seems slower and footsie based and knowing what button to punish with instead of longer combos.

I'm going to get my rear end whipped regardless but it might make learning the fundamentals easier.

I would say so, but really, all you should be concerned about right now as a beginner is playing what you like. It doesn't matter if a game is better or worse than another as long as you're enjoying yourself, and don't mind losing if you're trying to get better. If you're enjoying SFV, then stick with SFV. If you want to try another game, then by all means pick up SamSho (it's a great game) or another fighter.

Having said that, there's a lot more people playing SFV than SamSho. If playing online is a factor for you, then I would stick with SFV; you're not going to have any trouble finding someone to play.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

SamSho is the most satisfying fighting game to land huge hits, especially VSP where like, a heavy slash from Haoh on someone like Basara or Mina and the other low healthers is brutal.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The average samsho combos are like crouching medium into dp so yes it is very easy to get into but pros who know spacing and matchups will still steam roll you.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Critical posted:

I'm ten hours into learning Street Fighter V. I have no experience with fighting games other than streams but I got high and caught one of Sajam's videos and got inspired. Bought a stick and am being bodied repeatedly.

I'm trying really hard not to pay attention to whether I win or lose. I'm like 10-65 and get the brakes beaten off me for hours at a time. But once in a while I can actually hit a punish or stuff a jump in, or even cancel into a super to win a round (once) and it's loving amazing.

Did you jump straight into online, or take some time to learn a character first? Even with all the newbie-friendly changes made in SF5, it's still one of the more punishing games to play if you just jump in and start pushing buttons, since cancels are limited and specials are all unsafe on block.

If you didn't spend time in training mode, I'd suggest doing that - just go in there, pick the character you've decided to play, look up a B&B and a crush counter B&B, and just grind them out until you can do them every time without dropping them. You'll also want to look up or figure out what your best anti-air is, since you want to be systematically punishing unsafe jump-ins (which is most jump-ins). Knowing how to do these three things will carry you all the way into Silver.

You can set the game to matchmake while you're doing this as well, so you don't just spend hours in training mode without ever seeing an opponent (which gets dull).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 23, 2020

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Shinji2015 posted:

Having said that, there's a lot more people playing SFV than SamSho. If playing online is a factor for you, then I would stick with SFV; you're not going to have any trouble finding someone to play.

While SFV has more people, I feel like the netcode for the average match has been super lovely for the past few months in particular (PS4 player). And given what we know about the netcode now, even when the match feels fine on my end, I always have that sense of doubt where I'm thinking "I have no idea if it was lovely on their end because they just randomly got opened up by really dumb stuff sometimes" in the back of my mind, and that even takes away the impact from victories.

But between SamSho and SFV, yeah, that's rough because SamSho's netcode still sucks and you probably won't be getting any matches in a timely manner without discord.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Critical posted:

I'm tryinig really hard not to pay attention to whether I win or lose. I'm like 10-65 and get the brakes beaten off me for hours at a time. But once in a while I can actually hit a punish or stuff a jump in, or even cancel into a super to win a round (once) and it's loving amazing. Last night I got a mirror Rashid with double the character time and I somehow outplayed him in neutral to chip him down and win my first set. Then I took four perfects in a row from a rushdown Ken and wanted to rip my hair out.

It amazing how one match I feel like I can somewhat control what I'm doing, and the next I'm missing qcfs and look like an octopus falling out of a tree.

Same except Sakura.

I need to figure out how to turn off the robot voice. I know I'm 7-45 with Sakura, you don't need to rub it in, robot voice :negative:

Still, I feel like SFV "clicks" a lot better for me than MK11, I'm having a hard time memorizing MK11's combos and when to use them properly (I still like MK11 tho). I also have an easier time coming back in SFV matches than Skullgirls where I if I get juggled in the corner I know I'm just going to die. Whereas most of my losses in SFV, I can see what mistakes I made and try to figure out how to fix them, except when I'm fighting Karins because Karins ruin my life every time

I guess I like the footise game in SFV? If I'm using the term right. Metaphorically (and sometimes literally) jabbing at each other at long range to find an opening and then taking advantage is pretty fun

E: and if I stick to 5 bar connections only, I don't have much trouble with lag.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jan 23, 2020

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

The stick has swapped one input problem for another: On pad I could do 236-3214 and 236-236 style motions easily (41236-41236 still weren't fun) while having trouble with 41236-4 style stuff, now it's swapped. Relearning 360s is going to be fun. I'm going to assume there aren't any real tips beyond avoiding riding the gate and otherwise just putting in a lot of time?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

You dont need to hit all 8 directions

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Critical posted:

That never goes away FWIW

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
6428, God's own true 360 input

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
A fair few games will treat anything that contains one of each of the four up/down/left/right directions as a 360, even if they're not cardinal directional inputs. This means that 147896 or 698741 (or any other combination that boils down to a half circle plus a single diagonal not in the half circle) will parse as a 360.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

I know I don't, I can't perform them on pad if I do that. It's still going to be annoying. I think I worded the post above poorly, I meant the quarter-to-half circle motions, not specifically just the 360 motions. Sorry.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
CvS1 you could just do 4 2 8 and it would count as a 360.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

mango sentinel posted:

6428, God's own true 360 input

I legit did/do 632 874 for 360 inputs in SF4. It's the fastest and the most convenient way for me to do it on my Mixbox.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.
Speaking of command throw inputs, is there a trick to doing Potemkin Busters (632146) more consistently other than just grinding the muscle memory? I play on stick and I'm still pretty new to playing grapplers, but I end up getting Megafist more often.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thats a pretty standard guilty gear super motion nothing unique to pot, its like a kof super in reverse.

Do the half circle back and practice not hitting the button until you throw the lever forward

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Bybus Slago posted:

Speaking of command throw inputs, is there a trick to doing Potemkin Busters (632146) more consistently other than just grinding the muscle memory? I play on stick and I'm still pretty new to playing grapplers, but I end up getting Megafist more often.

The trick is practice, like you said. Just stick with it, you'll get it.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I find that motion easier than double qcfs tbh, but I might have just started with it. My wrist locks up when I do the repeat for the double qcf while the half circle back, slam it forward is much more natural for my hand since it feels like one fluid motion.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Bybus Slago posted:

you are probably missing a direction in the input and not knowing it. Make sure to turn on the input view in training mode to see what you may be forgetting!

I used to somehow skip the 1 in the input or skip the 4 until i ironed out that bad habit with repetition

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Oh of course that cool throw that Rock (and I guess Geese too) have is a 360 motion. I'm just griping here, but I don't even get why even have 360 moves if people are either just try to cheese it so they don't get accidental jumps, or mask it in the frames of another move (pretty much how I play Zangief). Now I need to figure out how to cheese it in Garou because I like this throw.

Also, I know this and a few other match videos of MOTW are old as poo poo, like dial up days, but was it ever determined who these people are and whether this was tool-assisted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO2lSMrDpJ0

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

CRISPYBABY posted:

I find that motion easier than double qcfs tbh, but I might have just started with it. My wrist locks up when I do the repeat for the double qcf while the half circle back, slam it forward is much more natural for my hand since it feels like one fluid motion.

Yeah we all have weird inputs we like more than others. In my case, I find 720s easier than double qcfs.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Critical posted:

Real hurthling! posted:

The average samsho combos are like crouching medium into dp so yes it is very easy to get into but pros who know spacing and matchups will still steam roll you.

I kind of think it's a great beginner game for this reason in a way. It's fundamental as gently caress.

MechaX posted:

Oh of course that cool throw that Rock (and I guess Geese too) have is a 360 motion. I'm just griping here, but I don't even get why even have 360 moves if people are either just try to cheese it so they don't get accidental jumps, or mask it in the frames of another move (pretty much how I play Zangief). Now I need to figure out how to cheese it in Garou because I like this throw.

I don't mind 360 moves but I do miss the brief period when Geese's throws and grapples were all like Zangief where you just hit down+foward+C to do the the one you're referring to or down+away+D to do a submission movie thing and stuff.

I can forgive it with Rock because you can hit someone with a reppuken as they hit the ground and if work the opponent right you can smoothly do the thing where he dashes forward and teleports behind the person and go from that immediately into throwing them and then hitting them with a reppuken and like, Rock is pretty low in Garou but god drat is that satisfying to do.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
New SamSho is probably a great way of learning FGs, even if there's still Issei/SDM bullshit. If you're predictable you're eating 30% and gently caress you.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

MechaX posted:

While SFV has more people, I feel like the netcode for the average match has been super lovely for the past few months in particular (PS4 player). And given what we know about the netcode now, even when the match feels fine on my end, I always have that sense of doubt where I'm thinking "I have no idea if it was lovely on their end because they just randomly got opened up by really dumb stuff sometimes" in the back of my mind, and that even takes away the impact from victories.

But between SamSho and SFV, yeah, that's rough because SamSho's netcode still sucks and you probably won't be getting any matches in a timely manner without discord.

I absolutely agree about SFV, but in my experience, I've had worse online on SamSho. I think it's the better game, I think it's better for beginners, but I can't recommend it over SFV if online play matters to you.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Release samsho on pc (steam) you cowards.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shinji2015 posted:

I absolutely agree about SFV, but in my experience, I've had worse online on SamSho. I think it's the better game, I think it's better for beginners, but I can't recommend it over SFV if online play matters to you.

Samsho, like all delay games, is strictly an arranged match thing where you know the other guy is on your continent and wired or else you need to be ready to waste a lot of your time

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Play VSP, it has amazing netcode and is a classic.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Someone needs to redo the site where Obama says to play 3rd Strike and have it say play VSP instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

HerniaFlange posted:

Someone needs to redo the site where Obama says to play 3rd Strike and have it say play 2002 UM instead.