Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

pentyne posted:

Because the games were written by fans of the series, and since Sapkowski said "Idgaf just cut me a flat rate check for the rights" they wrote everything themselves building off his work and it's basically fanfiction written by a writing team with constant feedback and editing to make a generally great story.

On the subject of the show, there's all the books to milk (5 seaons+), and Netflix desperately needs a crossover smash success, so if it maintains its momentum if/when they finish the books and start debating adapting the games there's a massive legal hurdle in that CDPR owns the games and their IP outright and don't owe Sapkowski anything for them.

They can just stretch the show out by adding more filler. Everyone wants Geralt to hunt more monsters and less politics, so they can just interrupt their storylines to have monster hunting procedural episodes and everyone will be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Also, I would do terrible things for a Netflix MK series. C’mon, make it happen.

what about a live action movie and also an animated movie? because we're getting both of those things within the next 12 months

edit: EW just put up their review of the first episode of Picard and lol they let the 9/11 truther loving run the show

edit2: ok apparently the other guy who wrote Into Darkness was the actual honest to god 9/11 truther, not Kurtzman, but it definitely features a shadowy conspiracy, which is a hallmark of the Kurtzman/Orci oeuvre

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 23, 2020

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I thought Kurtzman and Orci were banned from writing by the geneva convention.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Michael Chabon is the showrunner for Picard S1 which is the thing I'm most curious about.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

Michael Chabon is the showrunner for Picard S1 which is the thing I'm most curious about.

Same! No real interest in Star Trek but a lot of interest in this. He’s stepped down for season 2, though, to help develop a Kavalier and Clay series for Showtime.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

I thought Kurtzman and Orci were banned from writing by the geneva convention.

I was going to give you poo poo about Fringe being fantastic, but looking at the writing credits for that show they only wrote a tiny sliver of the episodes. Most of those were early season 1, which is the weakest part of the show.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Calaveron posted:

Imagine creating a sitcom that becomes insanely popular and critically acclaimed, ... and then you still proceed to piss down your pant leg the legacy your show could’ve had with a terrible ending.
Man what a bunch of jokers.
Thats the danger of writing your ending early on in the run of the show. HIMYM is like the reverse BSG in that respect.

DC Murderverse posted:

remember when they pretty much had a How I Met Your Father all ready to go starring infuriatingly-not-Oscar-nominated Director Greta Gerwig in the starring role and then that finale aired and everyone was like "nah i don't want to meet anyone else thank you"?

I was a little sad CBS didn't go forward with that, if only because of how weird it was they cast Gerwig. Then again, Gerwig's done okay for herself, so it's probably for the best the show was passed over. Have Bays or Thomas done anything since HIMYM ended? They've just dropped off the face of the Earth.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Escobarbarian posted:

Same! No real interest in Star Trek but a lot of interest in this. He’s stepped down for season 2, though, to help develop a Kavalier and Clay series for Showtime.

He'd already started work on K&C before season 2 of Picard had been announced.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Critics say it's good, the thread seems alright with it so better than Encounter at Farpoint so far. I shall wathc it later and give the final, definitive verdict on its quality so stay tuned

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Was there ever a Halt and Catch Fire s4 thread? I found up to S2/3 in a combined thread. Just hit a bombshell moment and kinda wanna see the reactions.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EL BROMANCE posted:

Was there ever a Halt and Catch Fire s4 thread? I found up to S2/3 in a combined thread. Just hit a bombshell moment and kinda wanna see the reactions.

yeah nobody saw it coming and everybody cried plz do not embarrass us

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
has anyone watched October Faction on Netflix? it sounds like it could be enjoyable and it's based on a comic I haven't read by some acclaimed creators, but the lack of advance reviews doesn't bode well

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bring back old gbs posted:

yeah nobody saw it coming and everybody cried plz do not embarrass us

Still can’t believe she cut it so short. At least the next episode surely won’t have any big surprises...

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Barry Convex posted:

has anyone watched October Faction on Netflix? it sounds like it could be enjoyable and it's based on a comic I haven't read by some acclaimed creators, but the lack of advance reviews doesn't bode well

Watching the first episode now, but it's 37 degrees celcius and 4am so i'm kinda tuning out. It's really well shot.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
So I'm about 4 episodes into Twelve Monkeys, and it's just ok so far. Not bad, has a very Canadian sci-fi show feel. When does it get really "ZOMG I NEED TO WATCH THE NEXT EPISODE NOWWWWW" good?

A few assorted thoughts below. Spoiler warning for the first 4 episodes of a 5-year old show and for a 25-year old movie:

- So I gather I should just forget everything I know about Twelve Monkeys the movie? Aside from the obvious changes like the Goines gender-swap, the movie had the scientists believe that the past had already happened and could not be changed. Cole's mission was just to gather intel that they could use in the future to try to make a cure. But in the show, Cole's mission is to try to change the past so the outbreak never happens. Plus in the movie, the Order of the 12 Monkeys turned out to be just some bullshit eco-terrorism group, whereas in the show they seem to be the real deal. I'm just trying to determine if knowledge of the movie has spoiled some things in the show that are going to be presented as twists, or if the show and the movie really do go in completely different directions.

- So far, I really could not give less of a poo poo about Deacon and his dumb group of marauders in the future. Really, anything in the future that's not Cole discussing his mission with the scientist lady is boring as gently caress. Does that get better, or is that just something to buckle down and endure for the length of the show? I already saw on IMDB that the guy that plays Deacon is in like 30-something episodes, so I hope it gets better.

- Tom Noonan is really good and creepy and I hope he sticks around as the main villain. I was initially disappointed at them for killing Zeljko Ivanek right away, but Tom Noonan really elevates the whole show around him.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Season one is a lot of setting up the rules of time travel, characters, and the initial framework of the universe.

They stick pretty well to the rules they establish and make great pains to ensure there's internal consistency so that the paradoxes make sense from a story perspective.

Basically what I'm saying is that they are building the playground now, but they use it extensively later. I'm not sure if I can really pick a specific episode though.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You'd do well to forget the movie.

If you are not all in by episode 6, it's not for you. Sounds like you have premiumtvitis

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I definitely have some premiumtvitis. But it's not really a matter of being all-in on the show vs it being not for me. Right now I'm watching it on the train during my commute. Jury's still out on whether it can make the jump from "ok to watch on the train" to "keep watching when I get home"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

12 Monkeys really picks up in S2 when they just straight up abandon the "present" time stuff as well as remove a lot of the limitations of the time travel. The show definitely gets weirder the farther it goes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this! posted:

12 Monkeys really picks up in S2 when they just straight up abandon the "present" time stuff as well as remove a lot of the limitations of the time travel. The show definitely gets weirder the farther it goes.

the second half of season1 as just as good as season 2.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Picard fucks yall

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

12 Monkey's is some great poo poo tbh.

Also don't ruin Picard for me in here ok? :colbert:

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

I lost all interest in 12 Monkeys a few episodes into Season 3. I can’t really articulate why, but I’ve had zero motivation to continue it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sumo posted:

I lost all interest in 12 Monkeys a few episodes into Season 3. I can’t really articulate why, but I’ve had zero motivation to continue it

Almost the same exactly, we remain brothers.

I think a lot of it is I can't get behind Aaron Stanford in that particular role.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Sumo posted:

Same thing happened to me with Orphan Black. Maybe I'll finish it someday.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Almost the same exactly, we remain brothers.

I think a lot of it is I can't get behind Aaron Stanford in that particular role.

:kiddo:
Lol same - for all the talk of him being this world weary soldier and all I can see is petulant-rear end Pyro

zoux posted:

Picard fucks yall

Don’t act like you’ll be exempt

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wish!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sumo posted:

:kiddo:
Lol same - for all the talk of him being this world weary soldier and all I can see is petulant-rear end Pyro

He wasn't a solider, he was just a survivor in a weary world.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Twelve Monkeys is a great show. I'd give it my highest recommendation. Of the three recent good time travel shows (Travelers and Continuum being the others) it sticks its landing so hard and in a bonkers way. Definitely watch it, you'll have the time of your life.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
12 Monkeys always seemed like an odd property to turn into a tv show. Take away Terry Gilliam, Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt and there isn’t much left of the movie that hasn’t been done to death before.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Finished all of Halt and Catch Fire, I really wasn’t sure how they managed to pull off a fairly satisfying and upbeat conclusion following a good 3 or 4 episodes where everything was in a downward spiral. Will miss the characters but I liked where we left off, although god knows how long it’ll be until Cam and Donna are back at eachothers throats. Solid finale, great show, tech sucks.

Haley being turned down by her crush was just heartbreaking after she finally got the courage to approach her.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oasx posted:

12 Monkeys always seemed like an odd property to turn into a tv show. Take away Terry Gilliam, Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt and there isn’t much left of the movie that hasn’t been done to death before.

They took a wacky short film and turned it into a slightly confusing movie, with two good actors. The show at the very least was one of if not they best time travel show, that not only got better every season but stuck the landing like a motherfucker.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 23, 2020

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Rhyno posted:

Twelve Monkeys is a great show. I'd give it my highest recommendation. Of the three recent good time travel shows (Travelers and Continuum being the others)

Outlander and Future Man, biatch

less laughter fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 23, 2020

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Oasx posted:

Limitless was another one that was strange to be turned into a TV show but ended up being really good. Only got one season though

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

OldSenileGuy posted:

Same thing happened to me with Orphan Black. Maybe I'll finish it someday.

Orphan Black is really worth finishing because it does a really great job of taking all its crazy tangents and tying them up in a logical package while being a really heartfelt goodbye to Clone Club.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So I signed up for CBS all access commercial free for Picard. You could tell where the commercial breaks were because it breaks away for them but immediately comes back however at one of the breaks there was literally one ad. I know I shouldn't be complaining but I'm wondering is that normal? I thought with subscriptions they have to call it limited ads or something.

Has that happened for anyone else?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I used to love watching That 70's Show but i haven't been able to watch it in years because once I learned what an absolute piece of poo poo Danny Masterson is, i just can't look at it. And he continues to be a piece of poo poo.

quote:

Cedric Bixler-Zavala of the Mars Volta and At The Drive had to put down his family dog yesterday after she ate rat poison, and he says that Scientologists protecting That ’70s Show actor Danny Masterson were behind it. In 2017, Bixler-Zavala’s wife Chrissie Carnell Bixler accused Masterson of raping her while they were dating in the late ’90s. Several other women have also made similar accusations against Masterson, who has denied all the allegations. Bixler-Zavala and Carnell Bixler are both former Scientologists; Masterson is currently an active member of the Church Of Scientology.

Loudwire reports that Bixler-Zavala, Carnell Bixler, and other accusers filed a lawsuit against Masterson and the Church Of Scientology last August for stalking and harassing them in an attempt to silence the allegations. “I’m at the vet dealing with another hurt animal,” Bixler-Zavala wrote on Instagram this week alongside a photograph of rat poison rolled up in raw meat. “This is what I’ve been finding in my front and backyard. This is what scientology does when you speak about the predators they protect … This is the 2nd dog we’ve had to put down due to the harassment from private investigators and Scientologists. This only makes us stronger. “

In a follow-up post, captioned “Danny Masterson is a violent serial rapist. He and his church will do anything to cover up his crimes,” Bixler-Zavala added a lengthy statement:

I will not shut my mouth about this poo poo. Clearly you repugnant pieces of poo poo don’t want my wife and I to tell our story. We most certainly have some interesting receipts that can tie a whole gently caress load of xenu sympathizers and xenu soliers to these rapes. Never trust a Scientologist who tries to co-opt the me too movement. Never trust an artist who is still friendly with their Scientologist celebrity pals. You know who I’m talking about. Go ahead and scroll past this and turn your blind eye. This whole bullshit idea of tolerance is very convenient way of you hiding your head in a hole while you ‘separate’ the artist from their ‘spiritual’ beliefs.

You go ahead and take gigs with these people. You would be an utter fool to think that the money you help make on tour with these sheep doesn’t go back to celebrity center. If Beck can leave what the gently caress is your chicken poo poo excuse? You gotta wonder what kind of dirt they got on you from your auditing sessions or your time on the purification rundown. ‘They’ pass your folders around and own you. You would be surprised who is in whose pocket.

So here’s a special shout out to all the Powerful Cats, all the midnight vultures, all the friends of Earl, all the Berric troops, all you owners of hip red bag coffee, all you Stoned owners of Harvard, all you House Geisha dwellers, all you managerial pieces of poo poo repping strokes of luck, all of you Oscar stylists, all you deadly little Sarahs, all you post apocalyptic soldiers fighting zombies in Atlanta, all you black cube thugs, all you newly indoctrinated ‘people of the sun,’ all you poser hags wearing Native American regalia for purposes of rock stardom. I see you. I see what side of HERstory you are on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Croatoan posted:

So I signed up for CBS all access commercial free for Picard. You could tell where the commercial breaks were because it breaks away for them but immediately comes back however at one of the breaks there was literally one ad. I know I shouldn't be complaining but I'm wondering is that normal? I thought with subscriptions they have to call it limited ads or something.

Has that happened for anyone else?

I get mine through prime but no I've never seen a commercial

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

I used to love watching That 70's Show but i haven't been able to watch it in years because once I learned what an absolute piece of poo poo Danny Masterson is, i just can't look at it. And he continues to be a piece of poo poo.

Yeah it sucks, Hyde was the funniest character too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah it sucks, Hyde was the funniest character too.

You misspelled Jackie