Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

:emptyquote:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Zane posted:

stellaris is a bad game. i played endless space 2 for the first time the other day and i've forgotten how nice it is for a 4x to have an actually coherent design philosophy.

There's something about the Endless design that just kills any appreciation that I can muster for those games. I've tried Space 1, Legends, and Space 2. I can't put my finger on it, I just get bored to tears before I'm even out of the early game

Dungeon of the Endless is excellent but obviously isn't much like their other games

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
paradox games in general have ruined turn based 4x games for me, they just feel bland by comparison.

Endless series is kind of cool though and has interesting factions in legend and ES2 so I hope they keep making games and doing well

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

There's something about the Endless design that just kills any appreciation that I can muster for those games. I've tried Space 1, Legends, and Space 2. I can't put my finger on it, I just get bored to tears before I'm even out of the early game

Dungeon of the Endless is excellent but obviously isn't much like their other games

Endless Space 1 was the only one I really played and the issue is that it's a clean, sanitized 4x. It just doesn't have the oomph that old school 4x space games have. They did a great job of polishing it and removing a lot of jank from the genre but it just ended up being boring and soulless. The only thing I find particularly memorable is Horatio. Everything else was meh.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Fintilgin posted:

I've tried Endless Space 1 and Endless Legend and bounced off both of them, which is kinda disappointing, as I like a lot of things about them and they seem up my alley. Is ES2 different enough from 1 to try again, or very similar?
ES1 has dated a bit, ES2 though is lovely and better than its predecessor in every way. But I'm slightly worried about the EL comment - What made you bounce off of them, what in particular annoyed you? Amplitude's design philosophy has been consistent for a while now, and while each individual title might have its shortcomings (AI, balance etc) overall they're solid games that I'd usually recommend to anyone.

Zane posted:

stellaris is a bad game. i played endless space 2 for the first time the other day and i've forgotten how nice it is for a 4x to have an actually coherent design philosophy.
I keep finding the same thing; every time I come back to stellaris I'm just appalled about how bad the UI is and how aggressively unfun and mundane the moment to moment gameplay is. I'm not even talking about "being pretty", which the Endless titles obviously spend a lot of money and effort on, but more ubiquitous things like being able to read a screen as a new in player in a glance, where everything is located, etc. It feel like some engineer's homegrown Win95 application at times, instead of a video game.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

There's a mod in Steam Workshop that claims up to a 30% performance improvement by just altering the pop job reassignment frequency to 1 check/month, which seems like it would be more than frequent enough. Apparently the vanilla setting is 10 checks/day (lol)

maybe i missed the post but what mod is this

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Splicer posted:

Check out the Twitter account. Nobody cares about this game, it's great. Theres like 3 replies per tweet.

The Facebook group is full of lunatics that want to get invites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP5NPluR0IM

ASpec had a look at it, and it is precisely what you'd expect, a reskin of a standard Pay2Win mobile game.

Also, note that they gave him a special package, basically enabling him to presumably skip some of the grind, so beware any reviews of this mess, as the reviewers will almost certainly have a significant advantage.

Which is, of course, all what you'd expect.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SpookyLizard posted:

maybe i missed the post but what mod is this

!! 00 Performance

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-166-federation-q-a.1313491/

You can't merge federations or convert a federation into a single big empire. Lame.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-166-federation-q-a.1313491/

You can't merge federations or convert a federation into a single big empire. Lame.
Based on the QA seems to be no actual difference in how federations interact with things, it's all bonuses and succession types. If I'm reading it right they haven't even added a "Your federation is poo poo, join ours" option.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
*sigh*. That's one thing that's always bothered me --- that two federations that have similar politics can't really do diplomacy, even if they're both pacifist xenophiles or something.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

That sounds pretty underwhelming. I was looking forward to Federations being fleshed out a bit.

I'd kind of like more roleplaying mechanics that mean something. Something I'd really like from a diplomacy standpoint is a bit more like Space Empires V, where you could bundle a bunch of different treaty requirements and restrictions together, give it a custom name and then you could wind up with a treaty that forbids one side from researching certain techs, from forming alliances (without specifically being forced into a vassal of the other side) or building certain ship types. You could theoretically create a treaty that forbids an opponent using cloaking devices a la Star Trek. I cannot think of any other 4X that gives that kind of leeway. I know such a granular tech-restricting system is not really applicable to Stellaris due to how the tech tree works but something similar might be cool.

So far, they've tried to make war more engaging with interesting super weapons, end-game empire building more interesting with megaprojects and general exploration and expansion more interesting with archeological digs. So far, the governor/sector system seems to have been tweaked but not really fleshed out much (in fact its gotten worse since I can't manually create sectors anymore, really fun when you take over another empire of any appreciable size!) and diplomacy itself hasn't really changed much since I started playing back when we had asymmetric FTL systems.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Based on the QA seems to be no actual difference in how federations interact with things, it's all bonuses and succession types. If I'm reading it right they haven't even added a "Your federation is poo poo, join ours" option.

It's like they're seeing how quickly they can burn through my personal goodwill and ability to feel human.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Splicer posted:

Merging federations would suck unless they change how wars work, you'd probably end up with half the galaxy deciding to ally peacefully and the game would stagnate from there.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

It's like they're seeing how quickly they can burn through my personal goodwill and ability to feel human.

quote:

Q: Will it be possible to “merge” federations that have similar structure and ethics without losing a federation fleet, or progress on the upgraded
A: No, it’s currently not possible to merge federations.

Q: Can you pass federation laws regulating member policies? For instance, decree that all primary species must have full citizenship throughout all federation empires? Or just outlaw slavery altogether? Because I hate seeing my own species enslaved by allies I have a migration treaty with.
A: There are currently no laws to influence other empires like that within the federation, but we’re certainly open to the idea. Once Federations is released we’ll be gathering your feedback as always :)
I'd have been comfortable classing these as the top two requests for federations. Am I crazy?
E:

Blorange posted:

Merging federations would suck unless they change how wars work, you'd probably end up with half the galaxy deciding to ally peacefully and the game would stagnate from there.
OK guess I'm crazy :v:

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Both of those sound like must-haves and I can't believe neither are being added. :psyduck:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Aethernet posted:

I dont even care about Federations because the AI is such a pain in the rear end to deal with as it is. Reading this Q&A is making me actively less enthused. I dont really care about the Federations part of the update - I want bug fixes, jank fixes, UI improvements, AI improvements, more hotkeys, and performance improvements. I do not want more things that the AI will not be capable of managing, more things that will give the AI reasons to spam me with pointless diplomatic messages, or things that make the game more complicated - more complicated in regard to the AI handling it, adding more bugs and jank, and more stupid bullshit to deal with while trying to have fun.

It looks like they are doing exactly what I dont want! I am getting dangerously close to uninstalling. I need news on AI improvements and jank fixes before I can care about new mechanics. Essentially,

Aethernet posted:

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Yeah I was excited but that Q&A makes it sounds like there's not going to be any real meaningful changes, just more buttons and flavor. Which is neat and all, but it isn't going to make the game as a whole any more fun.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Aethernet posted:

I think it's bullshit that changing federation type resets all progress. There should be some cost to that, but geez.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
"Will you make the level mechanic more immersive?"
"no"
"Will you do something with the now obsolete civic feudal society?"
"no"
"Will you allow people to share some things that make sense (like amobae pacificaiton)?"
"no"
"Will you be able to affect your federation member's politics in this here politics update?"
".. no"

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yami Fenrir posted:

"Will you make the level mechanic more immersive?"
"no"
"Will you do something with the now obsolete civic feudal society?"
"no"
"Will you allow people to share some things that make sense (like amobae pacificaiton)?"
"no"
"Will you be able to affect your federation member's politics in this here politics update?"
".. no"

"Will you be able to replicate the most iconic federation in all of science fiction literature, the United Federation of Planets?"
"No"

I'm pretty sure this is the first Stellaris DLC I'm going to pass on.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
... and being unable to influence politics means that the liberation CB keeps being half-broken.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Wowza a whole lot of super basic stuff you would assume for a 'Federations' DLC is just flat out not there.

Apart from those listed above the ability to influence how other empires feel about each other is so incredibly basic and necessary (and y'know, already implemented in the star trek mod as one example).

There isn't even any Federation specific events.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I’m flabbergasted merging federations isn’t in there. It’s been probably the most requested feature of federations since pre-release. I had expected this DLC would bring me back to Stellaris for a few games as the DLCs usually do, but yikes, I can’t see this being worth it.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Merging federations is something I wanted to do on literally my first day playing this game. Not adding it to the federations DLC is mind boggling. I can only imagine that there's something about federations that's so deeply hard coded that it's nigh-impossible to fix.

At which point add a convoluted event chain that makes everyone in each of the merging federations leave their federations and join a new mega-federation...

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I will take a moment to at least acknowledge that Paradox isn't trying to do a bait and switch. They had to know all those "no" answers wouldn't sit well with people and they still did this Q&A dev diary with these questions instead of avoiding them and letting people continue to believe/hope.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I feel weird because I never gave a poo poo about any of these things everyone is mad they're not doing. Except for influencing politics I guess.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

I feel weird because I never gave a poo poo about any of these things everyone is mad they're not doing. Except for influencing politics I guess.

All the "no" answers basically mean that the paid expansion is not making any meaningful changes or fixes to how diplomacy operates within the galaxy, its just giving you more small bonuses.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

A lot of them sound like what people want as core rather than paid features though, and they're making some big core (non paid) feature changes.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Internal: Paradox offices. Zoom in on a meeting room booking with the title "Stellaris gamestorming session". Pan to a blank whiteboard with "Federations" written on it.

Designer one: OK guys, we've been getting some flak recently and really need to hit this one out of the park. Let's hear some ideas.
*long pause*
*a hand raises nervously*
Designer two: P-passive numerical bonuses...
Designer three (interrupting excitedly): tied to a mana ticker!

*room erupts in applause, jism*

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Is this is the part where they tell us that adding passive numerical bonuses tied to a mana ticker adds complexity and should make us love them more AND IF ONLY WE UNDERSTOOD, WE'D LOVE IMPERATOR!

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Feels like whatever internal problems people have been hinting at have really hosed them over

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Feels like whatever internal problems people have been hinting at have really hosed them over

Paradox has been dying a slow death by pieces to capitalism poisoning since they went public years ago, it's jut accelerating and getting more obvious as the capitalism sinks deeper over time.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Crazycryodude posted:

Paradox has been dying a slow death by pieces to capitalism poisoning since they went public years ago, it's jut accelerating and getting more obvious as the capitalism sinks deeper over time.
sounds pretty serious. if this is true i;'ll be sure to take my business elsewhere

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Zane posted:

sounds pretty serious. if this is true i;'ll be sure to take my business elsewhere
Unfortunately all known cases have proven to be terminal.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Zane posted:

The old Eastern German state had some industrial combines making video games. Otherwise, taking your business to a non-capitalist source will be hard to do, my friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Serephina posted:

But I'm slightly worried about the EL comment - What made you bounce off of them, what in particular annoyed you? Amplitude's design philosophy has been consistent for a while now, and while each individual title might have its shortcomings (AI, balance etc) overall they're solid games that I'd usually recommend to anyone.

It's definitely a game I intend to try again when I have more time/mental energy, but it's a bunch of little things.

Simultaneous combat feels clunky and unnatural to me.

Some of the UI like the ultra-minimalist city screen and postage stamp sized build queue frustrate me.

Art is gorgeous but some of the world building is just so hard to follow that I had a hard time finding something to 'hold on to'. Like I guess we're steam punk space men who've been living underground, and now we've come up to the surface and building black steel skyscrapers, but we only have crossbows, also we know how to use nanites but we need to study how to make a public library like we're ancient Babylonians. I dunno, nothing wrong with it, and I'm thrilled games are trying to break out of old genre tropes, I just had a hard time making an emotional connection to it?

EDIT: I'm definitely looking forward to Humankind and seeing if it's the Amplitude game that connects with me.