Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, but where all the content is micromanaged to the nth degree by an out of touch old guy.

iirc they were throwing around a bunch of money so at least some creative people will get paid instead of the tech companies just burning the money in a stove. This platform is doomed though and it will be hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Lebron wants Chinese money he's gotta play by Chinese rules

ergo

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Timby posted:

It was actually really very good, but it definitely hit a few bad lows in terms of quality here and there.

The reason it got canceled by BBC America was that absolutely no one in the world was watching it, which was somehow a step down from the first season, which merely no one was watching.

Yeah I liked both seasons and don’t get why people criticize it.

Maybe faithful readers thought it diverged? It was fun throughout but idk if I need more of it

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I love the books, and I even liked the older series which was in no way a faithful adaptation, but the previews for the new series just looked so loving obnoxious. It had that manic smug Max Landis energy all over it before I even knew he was involved.

Tars Tarkas posted:

iirc they were throwing around a bunch of money so at least some creative people will get paid instead of the tech companies just burning the money in a stove. This platform is doomed though and it will be hilarious

Yeah, I'm all for creatives getting a truckload of a cash, but I've talked to some folks in a position to know who firmly believe that it's an Apple TV+ kind of situation with its content—just wrongheaded in its content strategy and drained of anything interesting by micromanagement.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Timby posted:

The French, in general, have really hosed-up views regarding sex, gender roles and equality.

There a disturbing story that's just come out about a senior French publisher telling of how when she was 14, a 50 year old famous author groomed her:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/27/french-publishing-boss-claims-she-was-groomed-at-age-14-by-acclaimed-author

As in, he didn't just pick her up casually, he hung around outside her school, sent her letters, moved her into his place.

Perhaps to the credit of the French people, he apparently went to some effort to hide her and people were reporting him to the police, so there's some sense of shame.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Grimey Drawer
As opposed to America where your hosed up views regarding sex, gender roles and equality is spread over 50 states. I guess it dilutes it?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Regarde Aduck posted:

As opposed to America where your hosed up views regarding sex, gender roles and equality is spread over 50 states. I guess it dilutes it?

In the US everyone just casually jokes about how whole states or sections of the country have people with multiple wives or engaging in incest.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lobok posted:

In the US everyone just casually jokes about how whole states or sections of the country have people with multiple wives or engaging in incest.

Child marriages are still legal in most states and Republicans really love to fight all attempts at outlawing it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Iron Crowned posted:

Child marriages are still legal in most states and Republicans really love to fight all attempts at outlawing it.

And one of the lawyers for the President of the United States supports lowering the age of consent.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The reason why the French and the US hate each other is because they're the same.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FreudianSlippers posted:

The reason why the French and the US hate each other is because they're the same.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
The French President literally married his high school teacher. I think the primary difference with the US is less the amount/gravity of behavior, and more that the French seem to be less ashamed of it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Timby posted:

The French, in general, have really hosed-up views regarding sex, gender roles and equality.

Regarde Aduck posted:

poo poo's hosed up all over the globe and is actually getting worse in some places. The Turkish parliament is currently debating a new "marry your rapist" bill that will let pedophiles off the hook if they marry their victims.
There used to be similar laws in the US but they've been pretty much rolled back, although some were shockingly recent. Apparently up until 2018 there was no minimum age for a girl to be married in Florida if she was pregnant and a judge approved of the marriage.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

One More Fat Nerd posted:

The French President literally married his high school teacher. I think the primary difference with the US is less the amount/gravity of behavior, and more that the French seem to be less ashamed of it.

The American President literally has dozens of allegations of sexual assault against him and the only thing most people give a poo poo about is if he collaborated with Russians so not really.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Also his weak Twitter game.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Lobok posted:

And one of the lawyers for the President of the United States supports lowering the age of consent.

Is that the one that married his first cousin?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
At this point I just preemptively disappoint myself and remember that most of the animators of those charming creative French cartoons probably don't believe in the concept of statutory rape.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Man I can't wait for Portrait of a Lady on Fire. Reviews are just through the roof, including on Letterboxd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-fQPTwma9o

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is that the one that married his first cousin?

No, it's the one who has questionable links to Epstein and went on a bunch of unprompted rants about how he DEFINITELY doesn't diddle kids like he's Frank Reynolds running a beauty pageant.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

No, it's the one who has questionable links to Epstein and went on a bunch of unprompted rants about how he DEFINITELY doesn't diddle kids like he's Frank Reynolds running a beauty pageant.
Dershowitz has been outright accused of raping girls supplied by Epstein. All those dumbasses you know who won't shut up about how Hillary had Epstein killed don't care in the least that Donnie's personal lawyer is probably a kiddie fiddler. Of course they don't care that Donnie has been accused of all those assaults, and bragged about groping women in what he thought was private.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I loving hate the Dersh.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Regarde Aduck posted:

Lol are u french
How many counties or w/e are there

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

got any sevens posted:

Lol are u french
How many counties or w/e are there

I like how eurogoons are more offended by the pointing out of pedophilia than the pedophilia.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Both America and France are imperialist powers ruled by crusty perverts that think they're world police and are full of loud obnoxious assholes who think they shouldn't need to learn any other languages because they speak the global language of the most exceptional and important country in the world. The only difference is that the Americans sort of have a point about the last one.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Agnes Varda is one of the good ones though.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

FreudianSlippers posted:

Both America and France are imperialist powers ruled by crusty perverts that think they're world police and are full of loud obnoxious assholes who think they shouldn't need to learn any other languages because they speak the global language of the most exceptional and important country in the world. The only difference is that the Americans sort of have a point about the last one.

Something something lingua franca

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

The US hates France because they think raping kids should be for super rich scumbags only.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the US only hates France because they told us to gently caress off on the Iraq War

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the US only hates France because they told us to gently caress off on the Iraq War

Freedom Fries!

Truly, this has always been the stupidest timeline.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

mycot posted:

I like how eurogoons are more offended by the pointing out of pedophilia than the pedophilia.

This is really useful discourse, but maybe we could stop since we're all posting from glass houses.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

theblackw0lf posted:

Man I can't wait for Portrait of a Lady on Fire. Reviews are just through the roof, including on Letterboxd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-fQPTwma9o

While I thought the film was pretty good, it became hilarious once I realized it was basically this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuziQsUrbeM

down to the overly dramatic micro expressions and fleeting, pained gazes they give each other throughout and the subtle roaring ocean cinematography etc. Stiller the auteur was ahead of his time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Casimir Radon posted:

Dershowitz has been outright accused of raping girls supplied by Epstein. All those dumbasses you know who won't shut up about how Hillary had Epstein killed don't care in the least that Donnie's personal lawyer is probably a kiddie fiddler. Of course they don't care that Donnie has been accused of all those assaults, and bragged about groping women in what he thought was private.

The CSPAM consensus is that Epstein's assassination was probably a bipartisan operation and Hillary and Trump should be cellmates.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The CSPAM consensus is that Epstein's assassination was probably a bipartisan operation and Hillary and Trump should be cellmates.

They should

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd greenlight this sitcom.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I’m putting my money on the British royal family doing it, actually.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Jeffery Epstein posted:

It's my Death Day, and I'm 66!

You know what that means, guys! BRING IT IN!

*every assassin from every world organization or rich person ever grabs their assassin tools and streams into my cell for a huge murder*

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pirate Jet posted:

I’m putting my money on the British royal family doing it, actually.
Even if they didn’t do it, can we at least confiscate their wealth and give it to the English poor who are really going to need it after Brexit

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/agent-47-finds-manhattan-jail-mission-weirdly-easy/

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

FlamingLiberal posted:

Even if they didn’t do it, can we at least confiscate their wealth and give it to the English poor who are really going to need it after Brexit

They totally did it. Harry and Meghan found out about it and that's why they peaced the gently caress out to Canada and the Queen basically gave them everything they were asking for even though by accounts she was furious about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lmao