Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

OK, pitch meeting. A #metoo-themed comedy IS going to happen because gently caress you it's Hellworld 2020 and we've been put in charge of it. What's it going to be like?

Zoolander 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Alhazred posted:

Louis CK had some really progressive jokes. Its honestly baffling that, considering what he said on stage, he didn't understand that what he was doing was wrong

He's a smart guy. He knew it was wrong.

He just couldn't resist mining his own perversion for material

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Alhazred posted:

Louis CK had some really progressive jokes. Its honestly baffling that, considering what he said on stage, he didn't understand that what he was doing was wrong

Same but Roman Polanski and Repulsion/Rosemary's Baby.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

He's a smart guy. He knew it was wrong.

He just couldn't resist mining his own perversion for material

We assumed the commentary was the real him, and the lovely impulse was the joke. It was the other way around.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Vagabundo posted:

OK, pitch meeting. A #metoo-themed comedy IS going to happen because gently caress you it's Hellworld 2020 and we've been put in charge of it. What's it going to be like?

Curb your Enthusiasm is apparently going for just that, this season. Very curious to see how it all unfolds.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Chili posted:

Curb your Enthusiasm is apparently going for just that, this season. Very curious to see how it all unfolds.

If anybody can pull it off it's Larry. In the first season they had an extremely long setup to him using the wrong bathroom, hugging a child and the child mistaking a water bottle in his pocket for a boner and running outside and yelling to her mom, and him desperately trying to escape though the bathroom window because there's no way to explain that, and it might be the hardest I ever laughed

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don't know how much the show could ignore it given Jeff's entire character.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Max Landis is back by unpopular demand...sort of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0p4Im88wSg

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alan Smithee posted:

Max Landis is back by unpopular demand...sort of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0p4Im88wSg

I think ring lights are great in photography and useful in cinematography and bragging about buying one is loving insane if you want to be considered seriously as a director or whatever he wants to be. You can get cheap ones for less than 100 dollars, which is basically free in terms of LA, especially when you've sold screenplays for over a million dollars.

I shut the video off in under 30 seconds because he started by bragging about buying a ring light if you can't tell.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lady Gaga Reveals to Oprah: ‘I Developed PTSD as a Result of Being Raped’
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/lady-gaga-reveals-oprah-developed-153209806.html

Oprah Winfrey Reveals Russell Simmons ‘Attempted to Pressure Me’ to Drop #MeToo Documentary
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/oprah-winfrey-reveals-russell-simmons-203109473.html

Why today’s young men are terrified of sex
https://nypost.com/2020/01/11/why-todays-young-men-are-terrified-of-sex/

Evelyn Yang, wife of presidential candidate Andrew Yang, tells CNN she was sexually assaulted by her doctor
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/evelyn-yang-presidential-candidate-andrew-yang-cnn-sexual-assault-by-doctor-042451884.html

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

This reads like a lovely clickbait headline for a hot take opinion piece. Not clicking that poo poo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's not about guys being scared because of a stupid fear of rape accusations though I thought the same when I saw the title.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Crackbone posted:

This reads like a lovely clickbait headline for a hot take opinion piece. Not clicking that poo poo.

It's actually a fairly charitable take on young adult male insecurity. There's nothing about being afraid of rape accusations.

(There are a couple stories about men/boys as victims.)

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
The NY Post sucks but it's a good article.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/popcrave/status/1219834601411153921

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I don't know how much the show could ignore it given Jeff's entire character.

Jeff is accused of looking just like Harvey Weinstein in the newest episode. :3: He's all dishevelled looking and actually does look like him.

I'm paraphrasing but a woman walks up to him at a party and goes, "you loving pig! how dare you!"

Later on Larry keeps wanting to get sausage rolls from the server at the party but keeps missing out. He then follows her into the preparing room and she thinks he's been ogling her all night! He stammers his way saying he just wanted some food but she keeps interrupting him. As she's walking away he reaches for a sausage roll but instead he grabs her breast...

There hasn't been a repercussion yet (aside from her calling his office and telling his secretary) so I think it'll be a big arc for the season. We'll see what they do with it.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 23, 2020

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Vintersorg posted:

Jeff is accused of looking just like Harvey Weinstein in the newest episode. :3: He's all dishevelled looking and actually does look like him.

I'm paraphrasing but a woman walks up to him at a party and goes, "you loving pig! how dare you!"

Later on Larry keeps wanting to get sausage rolls from the server at the party but keeps missing out. He then follows her into the preparing room and she thinks he's been ogling her all night! He stammers his way saying he just wanted some food but she keeps interrupting him. As she's walking away he reaches for a sausage roll but instead he grabs her breast...

There hasn't been a repercussion yet (aside from her calling his office and telling his secretary) so I think it'll be a big arc for the season. We'll see what they do with it.

Honestly I’ve never heard Weinstein talk so my head has been using Jeff Garland’s voice when reading Weinstein’s statements for years.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Anonymous John posted:

The NY Post sucks but it's a good article.

There are also other articles which discuss the book in question which are from less disreputable sources. I agree it sounds interesting, and I think it gets to an interesting point: first, that men are harmed by patriarchy too, and beyond that, basically no one has any clue how to have an emotionally healthy romantic and/or sexual relationship. We've come a long way with dealing with matters of gender equality and harassment (though obviously there's still a way to go) but as we've worked on getting rid of lovely relationship behaviour, we haven't really taught people "okay, now here's how you find and maintain a healthy, beneficial relationship instead," so now there's a bunch of men and women who are frustrated and lonely, and while I suppose that's better than people being in lovely, abusive relationships, I think we should be able to do better.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/3rdHourTODAY/status/1220366621576966145?s=20

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Ah Terry. Like, yes that is probably his experience on the show, but isn't everyone just going to be on their best behaviour now anyway so it's kind of a moot point.

Sad to see him immediately forget anything he'd learned when he went through his own poo poo.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/CBSThisMorning/status/1219616521389068288?s=20

no idea what's going on here. She both says "believe all" and then undermines the very doc she was working on

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

DrVenkman posted:

Ah Terry. Like, yes that is probably his experience on the show, but isn't everyone just going to be on their best behaviour now anyway so it's kind of a moot point.

Sad to see him immediately forget anything he'd learned when he went through his own poo poo.

He doesn't dismiss her complaint in totality, he says that in his experience he didn't see signs of the part of the complaint you might expect to have also effected him. Do we expect people, when asked, to give lockstep mindless support even if it doesn't match their own experience in similar circumstance in the same workplace?

I'm not sure that's healthy or helpful.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 25, 2020

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

He doesn't dismiss her complaint in totality, he says that in his experience he didn't see signs of the part of the complaint you might expect to have also effected him. Do we expect people, when asked, to give lockstep mindless support even if it doesn't match their own experience in similar circumstance in the same workplace?

I'm not sure that's healthy or helpful.

I agree with this but I think there's a bigger problem. Why do we need to hear from him in the first place? Like if that's not his experience, then cool. That's great! But there's really no reason for him to speak out in support of the show. It does kind of invalidate his co-worker's experience even if he is being honest.

I'm not faulting Terry here at all. I love the guy so much and he's an incredibly brave and amazing dude. If he's asked to speak, it's cool for him to do so. I'm more concerned with the public reaction of like... Wanting to hear EVERYTHING from EVERYONE after one person comes out with their story. How about we focus on internalizing the initial, and very important story, as opposed to looking everywhere else to round out the context.

I'm mainly able to complain about this as my instincts always used to be look for information just like this until I realized that was a pretty unhelpful approach to these types of situations. Let's hear out the person who comes forward and give them the attention they deserve.

Chili fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 25, 2020

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

In the interview he goes further. He pretty much endorses the America's Got Talent work environment and passionately disputes the allegations because they're anonymous.

I'm sure it's a big payday for him but he can just as well gently caress off.

e: Gabrielle Union responds

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/gabrielle-union-terry-crews-americas-got-talent-sexism-racism-1203479244/

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 27, 2020

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Vegetable posted:

In the interview he goes further. He pretty much endorses the America's Got Talent work environment and passionately disputes the allegations because they're anonymous.

I'm sure it's a big payday for him but he can just as well gently caress off.

e: Gabrielle Union responds

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/gabrielle-union-terry-crews-americas-got-talent-sexism-racism-1203479244/

Yeah I think this is the bigger issue. Like of course, Crews is only being honest if he says hey for me it has been a dream (Though what really does anyone expect, that he shows up for his first day and everyone immediately gets racist?). But it's the way it has been clearly set up to counter Union's claims, claims that Crews was happy to support before he joined the show.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Polanski nominated for 12 awards :(

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51301829?ocid=socialflow_twitter

quote:

Film director Roman Polanski, who was convicted of statutory rape in 1977, has swept the nomination list for the 45th César awards for French cinema, sparking outrage.

Polanski's film An Officer and a Spy, or J'accuse in French, received 12 nominations at the awards, which are the French equivalent of the Oscars.

The Polish-French director fled the US after his rape conviction in the 1970s.

He has since faced other accusations of sexual assault.

Alain Terzian, the head of the Césars, defended Polanski's nominations, arguing that the body "should not take moral positions" in giving awards.

However, Céline Piques, spokeswoman for French feminist organisation Osez le Féminisme (Dare to be Feminist) told French TV channel LCI: "I am shocked. The 400 cinema professionals who voted for this nomination have applauded Polanski with 12 nominations - 12 is also the number of women today who accuse Roman Polanski of rape. This is not the field of morality, this is the field of justice."

The slow-burning Polanski saga
An Officer and a Spy is about the Dreyfus affair, a political scandal in France in the late 1800s which saw a French Jewish army officer wrongly convicted of spying. In September, the film won the Grand Jury Prize at the Venice Film Festival.

Two months later, however, French former actress Valentine Monnier accused Polanksi of an "extremely violent" assault and rape in 1975, when she was aged 18, in the latest in a series of sexual assault accusations against the director.

Monnier said that the release of Polanski's most recent film had prompted her to speak out.

This is not the first time the Césars have faced controversy because of Polanski. In 2017, he was picked to head the award's jury, but stepped down after the move sparked outrage.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Surprise, the French don't give a gently caress about abusive or exploitative sexual relationships.

*French intellectual takes off glasses* "You see, a 44-year-old man drugging and having sex with a 13-year-old is liberating for her, because..."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Asia Argento had to flee Italy when she made her accusations against Harvey Weinstein public. I know she's since been accused of forcing herself on a 17 year-old, but that wasn't the reason she was being dragged through the street by the media.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

There's been audio coming out of Amber Heard's abuse towards Johnny Depp being evidenced now.

https://twitter.com/winonasrider/status/1223352249843318785

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
It sucks how women tend to get easily written off as "crazy bitches", but Amber Heard definitely got the crazy eyes going on.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Pachylad posted:

There's been audio coming out of Amber Heard's abuse towards Johnny Depp being evidenced now.

https://twitter.com/winonasrider/status/1223352249843318785

Difficult to be anything but ambivalently disengaged from this ugly personal matter, which is the idea of this ongoing publicity war.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Anonymous John posted:

It sucks how women tend to get easily written off as "crazy bitches", but Amber Heard definitely got the crazy eyes going on.

I only just heard about her severing the tip off his finger. That audio is something else though, mocking Depp for trying to get help. She talks like an abuser.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I don't know, I mean in a way I don't care about Depp and Heard's dirty laundry but Heard just really comes off like somebody who's a complete sociopath who lucked into being born beautiful enough to get away with terrible things. I think Heard knows that Depp doesn't want to leave her because he's too attracted to her, and maybe she throws him a bone now and then and acts like she "loves" him to keep him hooked so she can heap abuse on him because she gets off on the power she has over him. Which is, of course, how a typical abusive partner operates. Have something the other person needs, portion it out to them, then yank it away and/or physically harm them and then repeat the cycle.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

King Vidiot posted:

I don't know, I mean in a way I don't care about Depp and Heard's dirty laundry but Heard just really comes off like somebody who's a complete sociopath who lucked into being born beautiful enough to get away with terrible things. I think Heard knows that Depp doesn't want to leave her because he's too attracted to her, and maybe she throws him a bone now and then and acts like she "loves" him to keep him hooked so she can heap abuse on him because she gets off on the power she has over him. Which is, of course, how a typical abusive partner operates. Have something the other person needs, portion it out to them, then yank it away and/or physically harm them and then repeat the cycle.

This post is pretty gross and probably something we should steer away from.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
holy poo poo

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Nice try Amber.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
What the gently caress

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!

Crackbone posted:

Too bad, because assuming you already know what's going to be said is the first step towards not being able to figure out the answer to the last question here:

quote:

He had drank too much at a friend’s party and passed out on a couch. That’s where his friend Julia, who was sober, found him. She dragged Dylan, stumbling, to the bathroom and had sex with him on the floor.

The next morning, Dylan was horrified and asked Julia why she forced herself on him. “I didn’t want to do that,” he told her, insisting that he wanted his first time to be special.

“Oh, please,” she shot back. “Don’t give me that. All guys want it.”

It was a bias that even Orenstein admits to having. She was shocked by how often the boys shared stories of being on the receiving end of unwanted sex, “in which girls didn’t hear or didn’t respect ‘no,’ ” Orenstein writes.

Was it rape? The boys she interviewed weren’t sure. She recalls a college sophomore who told her of losing his virginity at 14 to a 17-year-old girl at his first high-school party.

He didn’t want to do it, he says, but was too drunk and too worried about rumors she might spread to leave.

“Like, if it’s the guy who didn’t consent,” he asked Orenstein, “what do you call that?”

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

If you're saying that my post was implying that "all women use their looks to get what they want", then I'm sorry I didn't clarify. I meant sociopaths (I mean assuming Heard is one, I've known several) who also happen to be attractive will use that as a means to get what they want or to abuse other people.

Did Depp have this problem with any other woman he was in a relationship with, or just Heard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

Weinstein Accuser Says He Has No Testicles

https://twitter.com/vicbekiempis/status/1223356641095159811

huh