Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

HookShot posted:

I'll never forget the time I drove through downtown Calgary one morning and saw, I poo poo you not, six different accidents.

Like, Vancouver drivers are bad, I'll readily admit that, but yeah Alberta and especially Calgary drivers are a different breed.

Having lived in Vancouver and Toronto and now Canmore it seems like Calgarians combine the malicious bad driving of Toronto with the incompetent bad driving of Vancouver. They truly are special!

Ski related contribution: we haven't had much snow at Sunshine lately so Mrs. Hat and I tried a bit of XC yesterday at the nordic centre in Canmore. I can see getting into it for something to do on weeknights after work or something, but I don't think it'll replace downhill for me any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Having lived in Vancouver and Toronto and now Canmore it seems like Calgarians combine the malicious bad driving of Toronto with the incompetent bad driving of Vancouver. They truly are special!

Ski related contribution: we haven't had much snow at Sunshine lately so Mrs. Hat and I tried a bit of XC yesterday at the nordic centre in Canmore. I can see getting into it for something to do on weeknights after work or something, but I don't think it'll replace downhill for me any time soon.

I'm jealous of almost anyone living in Canmore.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I'm jealous of almost anyone living in Canmore.

It's great in terms of outdoors access and semi-reasonably affordable, especially compared to Vancouver. If I had to criticize anything it's that it can be quite difficult to make friends that are sticking around as a lot of the young people in town are very temporary - here for a few months or a season or similar. I've met only one or two people actually from Canmore and maybe a handful more who are planning to stay longer than a few months.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Finally pulled the trigger on my new kit and ended up with an Arbor Coda Camber and some Arbor Cypress bindings.

Curious what everyone's favorite stomp pad is these days.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

No stomp pad is my favorite.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

spwrozek posted:

No stomp pad is my favorite.

I know that's what the cool kids do but I'm just not that coordinated at skating. having a bit of traction for de-boarding and random traverses is a thing I appreciate.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I don't use stomp pads either and see very few these days but you could try crab grabs.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I figure they’ll all work similarly enough so get whatever you think looks coolest. I liked the artwork on my board so just got the clear version of this one.

Also I am horrible at skating, stomp pad or not. Knee injury just waiting to happen.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

MMD3 posted:

Finally pulled the trigger on my new kit and ended up with an Arbor Coda Camber and some Arbor Cypress bindings.

Curious what everyone's favorite stomp pad is these days.

That’s a nice looking board. I’ve been happy with my Burton spike stomp pad over the course of two seasons. The more inconspicuous the better IMO.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, my husband just uses the spikes and has for a few years. I think he has like four on the board in total.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Skied at Kirkwood and Northstar this weekend with my fiancée who’s very new to skiing. She enjoyed both of them but maybe Kirkwood a bit more despite the hellish traffic getting in there.

Now we’re experiencing the fun that is Donner on a 3-day weekend and a crash.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Stomp pads :lol:.

I can skate fine and I still prefer to have something to keep my foot anchored. I used to buy the Demon/DaKine diamond studs and put 1 or 2 near my back binding. Now I use the Crab Grab Scromper (https://crabgrab.com/products/scromper) or Mega Claws.

The clear or black Scromper is nice and discreet and works really well.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

That's a fair comparison actually. There might even be more self absorption in Calgarians than I recall living in loving LA

I only tried XC skiing once back when I was smoking a pack and a half LMAO nearly puked but I should try it again as I adore MTB out at the nordic centre. You ride bikes?

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

That's a fair comparison actually. There might even be more self absorption in Calgarians than I recall living in loving LA

I only tried XC skiing once back when I was smoking a pack and a half LMAO nearly puked but I should try it again as I adore MTB out at the nordic centre. You ride bikes?

I did MTB when I was a kid, haven’t done it for years except a quick downhill lesson at Whistler. Switched to road when I was living in bigger cities since it was easier to find time for it.

I’d love to get a mountain bike again but we’re pretty space limited at the moment in our current place. The fat bike rentals at the Nordic centre look fun though too!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Burton spike supremacy.

I had a rental board once with a scraper/squeegee style one. The most pointless poo poo ever (who's scraping their boots ON their board?) and just acted like a fulcrum so your foot wobbles all over.

Butt up against the back binding and stomp the spikes. Almost like being strapped in at those speeds.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Nah, stomp pads / spikes just gently caress your poo poo up, try without them for a while. When you put extra weight on the back foot (to try to lock it down onto the spikes), it rotates the back of the board around, making you bail hilariously, or slow down on the cat tracks.

Just put most of your weight on the front, and lock your back foot against the back binding, no downwards force.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
My fullbag has a nice grippy deck and I've never considered putting a pad on it.. my Atomic Alibi however.... That loving thing is like Teflon. Still no pad though, because I assume nothing will adhere to it.
Only lateral pressure applied to the binding keeps me on that thing

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Yeah, I don't think I have had a stomp pad/spikes for almost 20 years. I just wedge my back foot against my back binding, then keep most of my weight on my front foot.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
just get a leash and connect your boot laces to your back binding

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

My favorite stomp pad is a self-made sticker

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

knox_harrington posted:

New skis day

I really like them. The Shift bindings are really neat and I like the confidence of having a proper alpine binding for skiing.

seems like a weird setup, you lose a lot of the benefit of a lighter ski with that binding

what's the top end like on those skis when you get going?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

For some reason this thread's conversation made me remember Sky Hooks before they were banned in the early 80s.

lol talk about a bad idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY6nL7v0Gnw

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ho boy I'm going snowboarding for the first time in, effectively, 15+ years tomorrow. I'm excited to get my rear end beat. Was really into it as a kid, got fat in college and now I've finally lost weight to give it a try. I've gone two or three times over the last 6 years, but only so much as to remind myself, "Yep I'm still too fat / out of shape to do this"

I also had to replace my bindings, and tragically they no longer match like my old blue Burtons :(

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008
Welp. Day one of the AIARE 1 is in the books. Spent the afternoon probing targets just outside of bachelor. Tomorrow is going to be snow assessment on top of the cinder cone, so at least there should be a fun ride down at the end of the day.

highme
May 25, 2001

Where/who are you taking the class from?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Day 2 in Whistler today. Wish I could say I was having a good time. Just seems to have been a disappointing trip so far. First ever destination ski trip disappointment. First time for everything I guess :/ at least it's not crowded. This place seems like it would be horrible when crowded.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Landsknecht posted:

seems like a weird setup, you lose a lot of the benefit of a lighter ski with that binding

what's the top end like on those skis when you get going?

They ski super nicely compared to my more lightweight setup. I have some black diamond carbon aspect skis (with Dynafit radical ST bindings) and the black crows are way more stable. Better at everything basically, but about 30% heavier. I haven't really pushed that hard yet though.

The Shift bindings are 850g each vs 630g for a Dynafit ST, which I think is fine considering they ski better and should help avoid messing my knee up again. Also I can use them with my alpine boots if I want, rather than being restricted to tech fittings. Interestingly I just looked on the BC website and the bindings they supply direct with these are Shift.

I'm back to Grimentz/Zinal this weekend and then off to Megève in a couple of weeks. Great season so far!

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
I'm taking my second trip to Niseko this year and can't wait tbh. It looked like little snow was falling but in the last week it dropped 70cm or so, so woo.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Day 2 in Whistler today. Wish I could say I was having a good time. Just seems to have been a disappointing trip so far. First ever destination ski trip disappointment. First time for everything I guess :/ at least it's not crowded. This place seems like it would be horrible when crowded.

What is making it so bad?

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
https://twitter.com/theydeadinside/status/1220120058346819589?s=21

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Let’s trade spots. I’ll gladly take a bad day in Whistler over a good day at any resort in Pennsylvania

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Macnult posted:

Let’s trade spots. I’ll gladly take a bad day in Whistler over a good day at any resort in Pennsylvania
A-loving-men.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Who doesn’t love a 500 ft vertical run of solid ice? You’ll take your day of 40 runs and like it

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yesterday was all-time at Whistler though once the alpine opened.

He showed up the day after we had 2m of fresh snow get rained on, so my bet is that's why he hasn't had the best time so far, but that's the Whistlife. Still, we've had over three meters of snow in January. After the literal worst December on record January has been pretty dece.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Hitting whitewater today after a few days off. Spent those days helping my buddy's friend build an ice fort (complete with dance floor, igloo hotbox, fire pit and toboggan course) in his yard for the rossland winter carnival, and got then did some walking around Nelson after buying new boots.

Plan is to ride today, drive up to red and ride tomorrow, hit the party in the evening then do the carnival stuff Saturday.

Having a great time so far in this beautiful place. Can see why he never comes back to aus to visit.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Hi, I’m literally driving to Colorado right now and I am going skiing Friday but haven’t picked out where.

I’m on ikon.

Should I do steamboat or A-Basin or something else? I like to ski the easier blacks but want to keep making progress.

Tell me where to ski goons. I am coming from central Kansas so all options are on the table.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If easier blacks are your jam I would not go to A-Basin I'd go to Vail. It's on I-70 so that makes it easy. Or just stop in Dillon and hit the whole summit area

highme
May 25, 2001

kiimo posted:

If easier blacks are your jam I would not go to A-Basin I'd go to Vail. It's on I-70 so that makes it easy. Or just stop in Dillon and hit the whole summit area

Ikon pass says that may not work out as well as possible.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Right. Well, Copper then. Nightlife in Breck. Still stay in Dillon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My new boots (Ride Lasso) are great. They didn't have half sizes, probably cos nelson is a small town and they'd sold em all this season, but a size nine fits my big foot juuuuust right.

Not perfect but I think I'm over tightening the lower boa

Huge improvement though. I rode all day without needing to take em off at lunch and no crippling pain getting them off either.

It's in the back of my mind that they might pack out a bit too much but I think an extra sock will sort that out if it happens because it won't be by much.

They're a ton stiffer too so I'm getting used to twitchy rear end turns now.

Had a great day on WH2O with heaps of fresh snow fall and really getting the hang of back foot driving in deeper stuff. It's such a more subtle, nuanced way to ride than on piste. Blew a toe slider at some point and the rental shop got me going again.

Even getting into some deep carves on the green runs which is a whole nother layer of snowboarding I'm still feeling out. It's wild how it feels like you're on nothing at all - the mad acceleration just going across the hill wigs me out.

Tomorrow should be excellent if the snowfall keeps up :)