Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Was just thinking about how Rey's last scene is a backwards-rear end riff on Robocop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Alleged concept art from Trevorrow's version of Episode 9

https://imgur.com/a/lX9JG8F

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

OctoberCountry posted:

A lot of rad art but another Sith master being a generic gleepglop sucks

Grey junkard mess of Coruscant battle aligns well with Disney final battle flavor ala Endgame and whatever was in IX

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

OctoberCountry posted:

Wow, Episode IX was always going to be a rehash of ROTJ. Lol at Rey wearing Luke's outfit.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There is a couple scenes in there they used in the actual movie

Amazing how they brought back Coruscant after it was destroy tho

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

There is a couple scenes in there they used in the actual movie

I doubt there was ever a realistic chance of the Coruscant stuff making it in. With Disney Star Wars every planet now has to be some new vague planet that has no previous context or importance. Coruscant is too specific.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

Good thing the story group caught it and Trevorrow got fired for that blunder

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm genuinely frustrated that the whole new trilogy seems to set up Rey getting a double-bladed lightsaber, and then it doesn't like a lil bitch. I waited for her to push a 2nd button on her handle to open up the 2nd blade in the final scene. Completely missed potential.

It's also lovely that Kylo/Ben and Han don't get to be Force Ghosts with Luke and Leia either

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

They don't even show where the hilt ends or if it's the whole staff. It's a really strange choice like they shot it multiple ways and went the safest/ most obscure way

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

euphronius posted:

Dark science…cloning…secrets only the Senate knew.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

One thing that new art does have going for it is A) shows the visible effects of war on coruscant and b) has an army of Stormtrooper defectors working with the populace.

That's one thing that this trilogy about a fascists military takeover has been missing, which is actual visible consequences of war. I know RLM had said this about the prequels, but there Coruscant is literally the Imperial capital already in all but name, and half the point of the war using clones (to my mind) is that the political class on Coruscant actuality had no skin in the game when it comes to the war. Here though, the first order is and outside force occupying the Galaxy, so you should see some sign of the consequences of that. I guess that's what kimiji was but that was a setting that meant nothing to the plot.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

As I recall a big chunk of the 90s EU was concerned with the new republic retaking the capital. It's a pretty natural extension of where do you go from ROTJ. But they don't want to remind the big wet babies of the prequels. Same reason why there's a cantina sequence in every new movie

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

General Dog posted:

Dark science…cloning…secrets only the Senate knew.

Like the Senate has ever be competent at anything. It was clearly Space Dolphins

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The Little Death posted:

One thing that new art does have going for it is A) shows the visible effects of war on coruscant and b) has an army of Stormtrooper defectors working with the populace.

That's one thing that this trilogy about a fascists military takeover has been missing, which is actual visible consequences of war. I know RLM had said this about the prequels, but there Coruscant is literally the Imperial capital already in all but name, and half the point of the war using clones (to my mind) is that the political class on Coruscant actuality had no skin in the game when it comes to the war. Here though, the first order is and outside force occupying the Galaxy, so you should see some sign of the consequences of that. I guess that's what kimiji was but that was a setting that meant nothing to the plot.

They really don't want to have to show consequences. Because consequences lock you into an established context that you then are expected to follow through on(i.e. storytelling). Whenever possible they want to be able to reset with every movie and not worry about the consequences of the events in the movie carrying over any more than they absolutely have to.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The ST is like Captain America: Civil War. There's heaps and piles of stuff that is superficially political, but it's all incoherent and meaningless by design.

Lucas' work is a melange of influences, but there's a throughline of democracy falling into fascism, the "good guys" having their own prejudices and blind spots, and war making fascists of us all.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I do wonder what would happen if the Prequels had been released before or after the era of the 90's/Early 2000's when "Having political opinions or any deeply held beliefs are inherently bad" wasn't the central belief of the American Zeitgeist. I hazard to guess the public would not have been so hostile to them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

People generally liked the prequels and they were popular

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

OctoberCountry posted:

Nice imperial japan flags on the at sts.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Basebf555 posted:

They really don't want to have to show consequences. Because consequences lock you into an established context that you then are expected to follow through on(i.e. storytelling). Whenever possible they want to be able to reset with every movie and not worry about the consequences of the events in the movie carrying over any more than they absolutely have to.

For all the complaints that the official-ST movies each undermine and contradict the other, the real trouble is that they’re incredibly repetitive. Rey gets afraid of her incredible power but then channels it towards helping Leia like five times.

There are like four or so instances of Kylo Ren shifting back to being Ben Solo for a second, then getting brutalized by the heroes which causes him to regress back to Kylo-but-angrier.

FN fights his unrequited love for Rey and devotes himself to the Rebellion instead several times.

So, really, they’re stuck in this holding-pattern of setup until the real narrative finally kicks in, at the very start of the third movie.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

OctoberCountry posted:

Okay, AT-STs painted like WW2 fighter planes with shark mouths are pretty loving cool, I'll give them that. (I quite like the design of the FAT-ATs too, much more than the gorilla walkers.)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Payndz posted:

Okay, AT-STs painted like WW2 fighter planes with shark mouths are pretty loving cool, I'll give them that. (I quite like the design of the FAT-ATs too, much more than the gorilla walkers.)

Yeah it was cool when the first clone wars cartoon did that.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

galagazombie posted:

I do wonder what would happen if the Prequels had been released before or after the era of the 90's/Early 2000's when "Having political opinions or any deeply held beliefs are inherently bad" wasn't the central belief of the American Zeitgeist. I hazard to guess the public would not have been so hostile to them.

If by "the public" you mean general audiences, they were the opposite of hostile. Those are the exact people who made them hugely successful; financially when they were released, and then throughout all the pre-disney years when cable would marathon them over xmas or thanksgiving. They will probably tune in for them on Disney streaming too, who knows

If by public you mean "rlm-like fans", then I doubt there is any era where they would be receptive. Hell it's likely they would be hostile to the OT if they hadn't watched it as children!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sigh...

Giving Rey a double blade saber or a saber staff is the one thing I wanted the ST to do, and it never did. loving cowards.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
As a Brit she proved incapable of twirling a baton. Should've cast an American actress.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

sassassin posted:

As a Brit she proved incapable of twirling a baton. Should've cast an American actress.

I was gonna say Ray Park is British, but turns out he's Scottish. Today I learned!

[edit]

Bogus Adventure posted:

Wow, Episode IX was always going to be a rehash of ROTJ. Lol at Rey wearing Luke's outfit.

Daisy Ridley would look so good in that getup tbh. I wouldn't hate it. Maybe it's too on the nose, but whatever, it's a cool look.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 23, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Double-bladed super-long saber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuUGrtmjQfY

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

teagone posted:

I was gonna say Ray Park is British, but turns out he's Scottish. Today I learned!

Scots are British. Martial artists-turned-actors are excluded from the national cheerleading skills handicap.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

sassassin posted:

Scots are British.

I'm uneducated/uncultured, don't mind me.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

careful saying that around some scots

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Some poor lucasfilm intern is madly flipping through Obiwan scripts, whiting out every instance of "sith wayfinder" and writing in "sith navibeacon"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

It's a holocron. Just call it a loving holocron, lmao.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

teagone posted:

Sigh...

Giving Rey a double blade saber or a saber staff is the one thing I wanted the ST to do, and it never did. loving cowards.

It would be cool, but I don't think it makes them cowards

Seeing a blue double would be dope as hell.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
I think one thing is clear beyon arguing:

Setting any scene to Led Zepplin's Immigrant Song improves that scene.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Considering who will probably make the next SW movie that is not s bad insight

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

sigher posted:

It would be cool, but I don't think it makes them cowards

Seeing a blue double would be dope as hell.

I'm saying JJ and co are cowards for not giving Rey a double bladed blue saber or saber staff in TROS. It was set up perfectly by Rian for them to do it—Anakin's saber was split in half. Rey, being the scavenger she is, could've fabricated its remains into said saber staff. Instead, they loving just had her weld it back together. Off screen.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

theres a strict one welding scene per movie limit, sorry

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

teagone posted:

I'm saying JJ and co are cowards for not giving Rey a double bladed blue saber or saber staff in TROS. It was set up perfectly by Rian for them to do it—Anakin's saber was split in half. Rey, being the scavenger she is, could've fabricated its remains into said saber staff. Instead, they loving just had her weld it back together. Off screen.
Rey building a lightsaber out of trash and it still not being as ratchet as Kylo's would have worked well.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Kind of dig ghost Luke catching a lightsaber with his bare hands.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Jimbot posted:

Kind of dig ghost Luke catching a lightsaber with his bare hands.

yeah thats dope, also are we sure treverrows treatment was aware of luke dying in 8?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Ammanas posted:

yeah thats dope, also are we sure treverrows treatment was aware of luke dying in 8?

Yea even his earliest leaked draft had a ghost luke following Kylo around, and again I must reiterate how baffling it is this was not in TROS