Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Terraria is an amazing game and I've gotten my ten dollars out of it ten times over at this point. The dev kept putting out updates for practically another two games worth of content over the years, all for free. It's pretty amazing. One of these games that have only gotten better, I keep coming back to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Anyone know what this is? All I know is that I want to punt the main character into a loving furnace because everything about him is abominable. The hat, the style and worst of all the loving poo poo rear end pixelated dreamworks smirk rear end expression. Disgusting. I'm angry now. I hate this game. Is it any good?

edit: this motherfucker calls himself a rational centrist and pretends to be a pragmatic liberal but in his dark heart he's just some MRA weirdo
edit2: best dressed failure in the comics shop motherfucker
edit3: showed up to class photo dressed like this dipshit
edit4: "why the snyder cut should be shown in all classrooms" (4 hours 45 minutes)

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jan 23, 2020

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

that's horace

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A Plague Tale: Innocence is now on Gamepass. :yeah:

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Black Griffon posted:

Anyone know what this is? All I know is that I want to punt the main character into a loving furnace because everything about him is abominable. The hat, the style and worst of all the loving poo poo rear end pixelated dreamworks smirk rear end expression. Disgusting. I'm angry now. I hate this game. Is it any good?

edit: this motherfucker calls himself a rational centrist and pretends to be a pragmatic liberal but in his dark heart he's just some MRA weirdo
edit4: "why the snyder cut should be shown in all classrooms" (4 hours 45 minutes)

I thought he was a lego man.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I highly recommend this game. it is short enough that it doesn't overstay it's welcome and it's got a great finale.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

exquisite tea posted:

Gris as well.
Edit: And Frostpunk a couple days ago, for those not keeping up with Game Pass.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jan 23, 2020

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Croccers posted:

Hell, hows N64 emulation outside the super big games these days? Still a wonky glitchy patch job?

Xaris posted:

pretty much yeah and probably will forever be

tho it'd be rad to be able to run an N64 emulator on the switch

There's CEN64, which aims to be cycle-accurate. Apparently the developers have made a lot of progress in emulating the N64's weird-rear end architecture.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Black Griffon posted:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

this is art, but the kind of art that makes people burn down galleries

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

speaking of which

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

exquisite tea posted:

Hell, I'll give it a shot.

Mierenneuker posted:

Gris as well.
Edit: And Frostpunk a couple days ago, for those not keeping up with Game Pass.

Gris I played on Switch, thought it was pretty but not particularly engaging.

Frostpunk looks really cool (heh) my only concern is that apparently there's no real win condition, it's just a grueling uphill battle the whole time.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I played Frostpunk on Gamepass for a couple hours and, like, is it just Anno but a huge bummer

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Yeah FrostPunk is basically an endless dick-kicking, but then so was their last game this war of mine so you kinda know what youre getting into

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

horace is very sweet and charming and the main character himself is a delight, and also the game is horrible and you will hate yourself and the world for playing it

it's this absolutely massive multi-genre platformer that's clearly been stuffed full of everything that the developer has ever liked or been inspired by, and the platforming itself is hard as nails. i gave up, as many other people did, when it shifted to a metroidvania format for a chapter - can you imagine if super meat boy was a metroidvania? well now you don't have to!

e:

Oxxidation posted:

horace might be the most outrageously self-indulgent video game i've ever played. it makes death stranding look as reserved and austere as a franciscan monk's wardrobe. it's like its developer learned how to start designing video games but never figured out how to stop

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 23, 2020

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

can you imagine if super meat boy was a metroidvania? well now you don't have to!

That does sound kind of fun, actually. In a game focused on purely that and designed around it well.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Griefor posted:

That does sound kind of fun, actually. In a game focused on purely that and designed around it well.

i'm sorry, now it's a rhythm game. now it's a gradius clone. driving minigame, anyone? now you're in ancient egypt and fighting a robot boss monster by grabbing the bombs it throws and tossing them into a hole on top of its head like it's a basketball hoop. now you're navigating through a legend of zelda dungeon in order to fight an angry Queen of Hearts. don't forget those stealth sections! NOW YOU'RE ON THE MOON

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Black Griffon posted:

speaking of which

Don't sign your, uh, vase?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Oxxidation posted:

i'm sorry, now it's a rhythm game. now it's a gradius clone. driving minigame, anyone? now you're in ancient egypt and fighting a robot boss monster by grabbing the bombs it throws and tossing them into a hole on top of its head like it's a basketball hoop. now you're navigating through a legend of zelda dungeon in order to fight an angry Queen of Hearts. don't forget those stealth sections! NOW YOU'RE ON THE MOON

I mean, seriously though.

Steam Store posted:

This masterpiece from Paul Helman and Sean Scapelhorn is a classic platformer that tells an emotional and surprisingly rich tale of self-discovery peppered with nostalgic popular culture references that will bring a smile to any gamer who enjoys the 8 and 16 bit era!

This almost sounds like a bad satire? Like let's throw what game buzzwords we can throw into a blender: pixel graphics: check, pop culture references: check, heartwarming emotional storyline: check, "classic": check, usage of the word "gamer": check...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Protocol7 posted:

I mean, seriously though.

This almost sounds like a bad satire? Like let's throw what game buzzwords we can throw into a blender: pixel graphics: check, pop culture references: check, heartwarming emotional storyline: check, "classic": check, usage of the word "gamer": check...

THIS IS NOT A GAME OF HONOR

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Demoncrawl: why the hell is the storekeeper selling a dead rat. Who would buy that. Why would he stock that. Why.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Shrecknet posted:

Yeah FrostPunk is basically an endless dick-kicking, but then so was their last game this war of mine so you kinda know what youre getting into

Ah, I actually didn't realize it was the same guys, that makes way more sense now

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Frostpunk looks really cool (heh) my only concern is that apparently there's no real win condition, it's just a grueling uphill battle the whole time.

Base game scenario is about surviving a certain amount of days. Endless mode is a separate scenario added in one of the dlcs.

cytoc
Apr 3, 2009

Jamfrost posted:

I have my eye on Temtem and Monster Crown to fill that Pokémon hole. Siralim 3 is doing an okay job so far.

I grabbed Temtem because it is the kind of thing I've wanted to see since I was 10 years old. It's currently pretty stable, but there are still bugs cropping up for me. I'm keen to see how it goes long term because it's looking somewhat promising so far.

I picked up Siralim 3 on my phone because we were traveling a lot throughout January. I ended up lucking into a pretty powerful combo that swept through the storyline. There's a heap of content past this, but I'm yet to really get deep into building and customising different line ups; there are seemingly some decent resources with breeding lists and traits lists but they were a pain to navigate through on my phone. Overall I enjoyed my time with this so far and have picked up on Steam to carry my save over at a later date (I do really appreciate the ability to transfer save from phone to pc).

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
The Lunar New Year Sale starts in a few hours, so if you're itching for something new to fill your ever-growing backlog with, it might be prudent to hold out just a little bit.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

cytoc posted:

I picked up Siralim 3 on my phone because we were traveling a lot throughout January. I ended up lucking into a pretty powerful combo that swept through the storyline. There's a heap of content past this, but I'm yet to really get deep into building and customising different line ups; there are seemingly some decent resources with breeding lists and traits lists but they were a pain to navigate through on my phone. Overall I enjoyed my time with this so far and have picked up on Steam to carry my save over at a later date (I do really appreciate the ability to transfer save from phone to pc).

Yeah, it's a fun game to play on your phone but even though the game has all the information in its in-game menus you really need to do some planning outside of the game on a bigger screen than a phone if you want to do the endgame stuff in it. I got it for my phone because I knew I liked it from the PC and it's hard to find fun games on Android. People complain about discoverability of Steam games, but Android is 10 times worse. Or there really just isn't much good stuff on there.

Back on topic:
I have a pretty neat setup right now where I'm comboing some cool stuff together to make my team instakill the enemy half the time like this:

Regalis
At the start of battle, your creatures that belong to this creature's class share their innate traits with each other. This trait does not stack.

Nether creature:
Nix Shadowjumper
When an ally dies, this creature attacks 4 random enemies.
Nether traits:
Scatter Shot - This creature's attacks deal 30% of the damage dealt to all enemies.
Charge - At the start of battle, this creature attacks 3 random enemies.
Empty slot

Unicorn Vivivier
This creature's attacks have a 50% chance to resurrect a random ally with 50% Health

Unicorn Thundercracker
This creature's attacks have a 50% chance to move a random ally to the top of the Action Queue.

Reclusive Wight
After this creature dies, it has a 50% chance to resurrect all allies with 35% health.

Apis Protector
This creature is immune to debuffs.

All this on a Chaos Mage that gives all sorts of bonuses to attacking. I gave all the non-Death creatures a Seed of Death so they're all Death creatures and all share their traits (not the nether ones) together. Synchronizing to the same class like that is a must if you're going to use Regalis' Avatar. I'm not sure that the Apis Protector is essential as continuous resurrection clears debuffs as well, but getting your turn coming up while under Scorn (can't attack) and Silence (can't cast spells) is super annoying. I had a slightly different team with Dread Wight (After this creature dies, it has a 50% chance to resurrect with 100% Health) instead of the Unicorn Thundercracker that focused a lot on never dying, but I kept getting owned by Elf Barbarians (The enemy creatures' effects that activate when they die are ignored.). Then I added the Thundercracker and gave my Nether creature Charge and now most battles end in my favor before I even get a turn. Does make it harder to extract cores. As my final Nether trait I want to get Piercing Focus (While this creature is below 80% Health, its attacks ignore the enemy Defense) but it comes from a special type of creature that's harder to find, which I didn't yet (and when I do find it my team will probably instantly kill it before I can extract it).

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Demoncrawl: why the hell is the storekeeper selling a dead rat. Who would buy that. Why would he stock that. Why.

I've been experimenting with Witch builds after learning the damage reduction you get from holding omens (like the rat) can get to 100%. And if you can do that, the rat is one of the better ones to have, 'cause you don't need hearts if you never get hurt!

I thought I was being real clever one run by poisoning myself a bunch on a Toxic stage and getting enough omens to never take damage. Except I still took damage, from all the poison. Funny how that works.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

The real answer is naturally "for when an adventuring party shows up". Obvious quest items are obvious.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

So during the Winter Sale, Valve introduced animated chat stickers and effects, but stuck an expiration date on all of them. People rightfully pointed out that was loving stupid, and Valve removed the expirations.

Now during the Lunar Sale, Valve introduced animated profile backgrounds and mini-backgrounds, and stuck an expiration date on all of them.

:eng99:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is this the cheapest celeste has been? 66% off

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The cheapest Celeste has been was free when it was available as one of the twelve games the Epic Store was giving out for Christmas.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Too Shy Guy posted:

So during the Winter Sale, Valve introduced animated chat stickers and effects, but stuck an expiration date on all of them. People rightfully pointed out that was loving stupid, and Valve removed the expirations.

Now during the Lunar Sale, Valve introduced animated profile backgrounds and mini-backgrounds, and stuck an expiration date on all of them.

:eng99:

The whole "emoji market" is such a greedy move on Valve's part. If they're going to make it a timed thing, they should just give it out for free and take it away in a month, nobody would complain.

On the other hand, the story snippets are cool.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Awesome! posted:

is this the cheapest celeste has been? 66% off

Yes, previously it was only 50% off.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Karma Tornado posted:

Ah, I actually didn't realize it was the same guys, that makes way more sense now

frostpunk is like a light puzzle city builder and resource management game where the devs want to force you to consider the merits of child labor and cannibalism. one of those "tough moral choices" kind of games like papers please that's not mechanically difficult to play, but emotionally difficult

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

luxury handset posted:

frostpunk is like a light puzzle city builder and resource management game where the devs want to force you to consider the merits of child labor and cannibalism. one of those "tough moral choices" kind of games like papers please that's not mechanically difficult to play, but emotionally difficult

Jokes on them, I love child labor

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Why rat so fat

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Just wait until we get a Summer Gacha Sale.

Steam Thread 2020: All of this can be yours! For a limited time only!

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 23, 2020

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

PantsBandit posted:

Hell, I'll give it a shot.

Gris I played on Switch, thought it was pretty but not particularly engaging.

Frostpunk only lacks a win condition if you play endless mode. The main scenario and side content all have defined goals and end points.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Baller Time posted:

Why rat so fat

rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"Oh nice, another sale. There was some stuff I forgot to check for discounts at Christmas. Now what were they? Why didn't I wishlist them?"

Story of my life. I got no clue what caught my attention but not at full price.