Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Lumpen (2): Mr. Steak, SalTheBard, Retro Futurist, Mr. Steak
Leith Maclaine (1): Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak
Retro Futurist (1): Lumpen, IllegallySober, IllegallySober
CapitalistPig (1): IllegallySober, IllegallySober, b-minus1
Eat The Rich (1): 2 penny bottle imp
hambeet (1): Anonymous
SalTheBard (1): Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak, IllegallySober
Mr. Steak (0): Lumpen, Lumpen
charms (0): Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak
2 penny bottle imp (0): Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak

Not Voting (9): Anomalous Amalgam, CapitalistPig, charms, Eat The Rich, Hal Incandenza, hambeet, Leith Maclaine, Mr. Humalong, xiw

With 16 alive, it's 9 votes to execute. The current deadline is January 25th, 2020 at 6 p.m. CST -- that's in about 2 days, 10 hours.

The current day's mod post count is: 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

2 penny bottle imp posted:

It creates discussion over something meaningless as a launching off point for careless votes.

Ding ding ding

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

Ding ding ding

Put me on the “vig Sal” team, he’s twitching my feelers

I would give the vig to... b-, I trust that guy

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
After sleeping in it and then re-reading, I have reassessed Mr. Steak and I feel that he’s likely to be Town. I think the exchange was a slapfight but a productive one.

Retro Futurist still is top suspect.

Leith, Sal, binus, and Cpig all strike me as possible SAAPs to keep an eye on.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

It creates discussion over something meaningless as a launching off point for careless votes.

Hal Incandenza posted:

Hal, do you disagree with Penny? Because I agree with Penny's statement but I'm open to hearing why it's useful this early on.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Eat The Rich posted:

I think Steak and Lumpen are town and the Townie Slapfight comment was perfect. I am curious to know how Lumpen plays as scum. Does he still try to push for Content Games?
The only tell I have is lurking, because it works. If you play a game with me and my post count is in the bottom third of the thread, worry. Other than that my play is absolutely indistinguishable.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER

SalTheBard posted:

Hal, do you disagree with Penny? Because I agree with Penny's statement but I'm open to hearing why it's useful this early on.

Just for completeness, Ill add that why I think it is a silly thing to do, is that scum can quickly pack in votes under minimal guise, because that becomes the new low bar for cading someone.

I think we're on the same page here.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

SalTheBard posted:

I know you didn’t ask me and I doubt you really care Sal, but I will bloviate anyhow for the general benefit.

Content game is most useful right at the beginning of the game when there is nothing established except the informed minority know who each other are and want to hide it. This is the fact that trips them up if they get confronted with a Content Game challenge and get put on the spot. It is the moment of the game where their extra information is the biggest liability and burden. That’s the theory.

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Adventure comes from insufficient planning.
Hrmmm, Vig question:

Who would I Vig, AA because AA as scum is really drat good. And don't get me started with how good he is as a 3rd party. Eat the Rich statement about needing to pad their post count looks like someone to trying to obfuscate so it is looking scummy also.

Who would I give a Vig too, Lumped because right now they seem to be trying hard to get people to give content.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Answering CPig’s content game: I’d vig RF and then hand the gun to Illegally Sober.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Eat The Rich posted:

RF dodged the content game and Sal answered for him with a joke. He also answered for Charms, which to me could be evidence that he's helping his scumbuddy. Same thing for RF.

Why do you think the content game is silly? It seems like a great way to generate discussion that could be used to find scum.

I answered for myself with a joke. Also scum usually prefer to fit in and kowtow to thread leaders like Lumpen, not blown them off. Content games give them something real easy to spit out "content" they don't have to commit to, like you wanting to vig Sal for extremely tenuous reasons

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Leith Maclaine posted:

Hrmmm, Vig question:

Who would I Vig, AA because AA as scum is really drat good. And don't get me started with how good he is as a 3rd party. Eat the Rich statement about needing to pad their post count looks like someone to trying to obfuscate so it is looking scummy also.

Who would I give a Vig too, Lumped because right now they seem to be trying hard to get people to give content.

I wish I was good at playing scum or 3p. You should know that I never actually win as either D:<

Also I'm only good until I actively shoot myself in the foot or tell on myself under pressure.

Not this game though.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
I don't know who I'd vig yet. N0, I'd roll with a die roller. N1 well well well, let me tell you in just a little bit.

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

I wish I was good at playing scum or 3p. You should know that I never actually win as either D:<

Also I'm only good until I actively shoot myself in the foot or tell on myself under pressure.

Not this game though.

The time where you were the serial killer, I had to work out the math for how to ensure we (the scum) could make sure the win. It was a very near run thing and to be honest, I thought Toal was the serial killer until the very end.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Leith Maclaine posted:

The time where you were the serial killer, I had to work out the math for how to ensure we (the scum) could make sure the win. It was a very near run thing and to be honest, I thought Toal was the serial killer until the very end.

ugh, I had nearly forgotten the pain of that defeat... don't remind me lol.

My coffee literally just turned sour in my mouth as my brain recollected the horror.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Retro Futurist posted:

I answered for myself with a joke. Also scum usually prefer to fit in and kowtow to thread leaders like Lumpen, not blown them off. Content games give them something real easy to spit out "content" they don't have to commit to, like you wanting to vig Sal for extremely tenuous reasons
This post is real bad. Psychologically.

I had considered it possible that you derailed the Content Game because you resented the curtailing of jokephase and also just for "gently caress Lumpen", and my vote on you would be wrong and I would be embarrassed and the Content Game's reputation besmirched.

That you now put forth an explanation that you made a calculated choice based on thoughts about what various alignments would do, and you chose to blow off the Content Game because you felt would make you look Town, is a big yikes.

The Content Game works. Bet on it. Retro Futurist is secret alliance aligned.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Actually, the worst part of that defeat was... I didn't expect to win and suddenly it became a real possibility and I got super super invested not knowing you and b- had rigged the game.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Actually, the worst part of that defeat was... I didn't expect to win and suddenly it became a real possibility and I got super super invested not knowing you and b- had rigged the game.

...but back to this one.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lumpen posted:

I had considered it possible that you derailed the Content Game because you resented the curtailing of jokephase and also just for "gently caress Lumpen", and my vote on you would be wrong and I would be embarrassed and the Content Game's reputation besmirched.

That you now put forth an explanation that you made a calculated choice based on thoughts about what various alignments would do, and you chose to blow off the Content Game because you felt would make you look Town, is a big yikes.

Oh it’s that other stuff too, I’m just pointing out how silly it is to put any weight on it and the convenient cave it gives scum to dig themselves into to hide

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

The real fun part was convincing him to save the role block the night before …….

But as you said, back to this game.

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Lumpen posted:

For a long time I haven't understood the tactics around D1 jokephase but I'm starting to see the method to the madness.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Retro Futurist posted:

Oh it’s that other stuff too, I’m just pointing out how silly it is to put any weight on it and the convenient cave it gives scum to dig themselves into to hide
I completely disagree with your thesis about participating and responding and posting about other's alignments is a "convenient cave to hide in". It is refusing to participate, as you did, which the informed minority benefit from. It's the same reason why they lurk and why it is effective.

Following that logic for the sake of argument, do you then suggest that Illegally Sober is worse for suggesting I run a Content Game, and complying with the first round?
Do you suggest that the people who have decide to step up and answer CPig's Content Game are less Town for doing so? If so, which people?

In my opinion, those choices of actions reflected well on those people.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lumpen posted:

I completely disagree with your thesis about participating and responding and posting about other's alignments is a "convenient cave to hide in". It is refusing to participate, as you did, which the informed minority benefit from. It's the same reason why they lurk and why it is effective.

Following that logic for the sake of argument, do you then suggest that Illegally Sober is worse for suggesting I run a Content Game, and complying with the first round?
Do you suggest that the people who have decide to step up and answer CPig's Content Game are less Town for doing so? If so, which people?

In my opinion, those choices of actions reflected well on those people.

Nobody is making good alignment calls hours into D1, so I'd disagree with your first sentence right there.

But I also suggest we put a pin in this and discuss it after the game is over, I only started talking about it because it was relevant to what ETR was accusing me of

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

:words:

This is just fluff from atop a very high horse.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

It is a seapony actually, and also I am not even high.

But if you're going to call my posts fluff, who are your top three suspects? Can you explain your vote on Eat the Rich more? Did you not realize he was responding to CPig's content game? Are you not actually reading the thread?

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

Lumpen posted:

But if you're going to call my posts fluff, who are your top three suspects? Can you explain your vote on Eat the Rich more? Did you not realize he was responding to CPig's content game? Are you not actually reading the thread?

ehhhh... I think ETR's vig-statement on Sal got less attention in his post that proclaiming townieness for others. To me, that signals scum buddying up to town, and the unsupported vig being justified on nothing advances the general idea of scumhunting without actually doing it.

.... I have to admit that this analysis is based on ETRs reaction to the content game, which, fine, maybe is not so bad. I guess content games can give newb scum just enough rope to hang themselves?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

As for actual alignment calls ETR looks pretty suspicious to me for that weird analysis, and I still have gut feelings about binus.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

Lumpen posted:

And before you say i avoided your question, I will say my only suspect right now is ETR. I dont agree with laying out the beginnings of a lumpen list [see what I did there?] so early day 1.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

hambeet posted:

lol

what about you cpig?

I would vig lumpen and hand my friend hambeet the vig

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

You basically just described every Lumpen post anywhere.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

:lumpen:

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

ugh, I had nearly forgotten the pain of that defeat... don't remind me lol.

My coffee literally just turned sour in my mouth as my brain recollected the horror.

Lol

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

CapitalistPig posted:

I would vig lumpen and hand my friend hambeet the vig

You are always too good to me cpig

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

but isn't that, in itself, content that can be later analysed?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

hambeet posted:

You are always too good to me cpig

whoops sorry my keyboard stopped working let me correct it

CapitalistPig posted:

I would vig lumpen and hand my friend hambeet the vig to shoot themselves with

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

never give a pig a vig

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I don’t have as much time today to dedicate to the game, so keep that in mind when you see my post volume today compared to yesterday, but:

xiw posted:

I feel like claiming anything about your desired target or who you are does nothing but help scum narrow down their night kill choices. While it'd be nice to have free upgrades i honestly would rather not know which player my target is because it might confuse me when i'm looking for actual baddies.

At this juncture we don’t know enough about how the mechanics will play out to worry too much about who each player’s target is, IMO. Like you allude to, it’s not guaranteed (or really even functionally possible) for a player’s target to be someone of the opposing alignment- my desire is to hunt scum and if that leads to an upgrade in the process, so be it.

xiw posted:

Could be trying to reduce the chance of a roleblock or track though by proving they don't have a night ability, so they can do the NK. Scum could be in all kinds of odd positions here with a role madness random setup - could be tricky passing up an action to get a NK in. Not convinced though.

Something about this post I don’t like and I can’t quite place it. It might just be looking at these two posts back-to-back and seeing the focus on mechanics over reads. Who’s looking scummy, xiw?

Lumpen posted:

After sleeping in it and then re-reading, I have reassessed Mr. Steak and I feel that he’s likely to be Town. I think the exchange was a slapfight but a productive one.

Can you elaborate on what caused you to change your position by re-reading your exchange with Steak?

charms
Oct 14, 2012

There might be something going on with the Content Game vs. Joke Phase factionalism. This post is suspicious:

Hal Incandenza posted:

It looks like you're showing up from out of nowhere to declare your allegiance to the Content Gamers by participating in the game and then hypothetically shooting a known Joke Phaser for arbitrary reasons.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Hal I will gladly take your vig. I’m someone you can trust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

hambeet posted: