Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I have nothing to add, but I wanted to jump on the spoiler bandwagon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

By the end of the trilogy that character is going to be an insane mess, which is appropriate for a lovecraftian film series.

Isn't he literally an insane mess at the end of the first movie? I can't imagine after 3.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I really liked color out of space. the escalation of the insanity worked pretty well. i almost wish it had taken place over a longer period of time like the original story. I guess that's tougher to make believable if you're setting it in current year but it feels kind of rushed

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Relevant Tangent posted:

They've said they want to use the same character, the hydrologist, in all three films so probably no shenanigans.

That dude rules so sign me up

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I won't add to the spoilers, but Color Out of Space was awesome and I can't wait to rewatch it.

Unfortunately I had work to do and wasn't able to stick around for the Q&A, did I miss any worthwhile info?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

gey muckle mowser posted:

that doesn't really seem like a spoiler to me but everyone else is doing it, so :shrug:

It is definitely a spoiler, as it gives away how that character fares throughout the film.

I talked about elements of Color, but forgot to mention that I loved it. It took a while to build momentum, but was completely worth it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Sarchasm posted:

I won't add to the spoilers, but Color Out of Space was awesome and I can't wait to rewatch it.

Unfortunately I had work to do and wasn't able to stick around for the Q&A, did I miss any worthwhile info?

Nothing too crazy. Some fun anecdotes about Cage and Stanley meeting and working together throughout the years. Someone asked Stanely about his hiatus from film, which he answered kinda playfully, approximately saying, "It seems like cinema is really interested in blending genre with art house right now, and so I guess I'm a name to call these days." And that he hasn't been sitting around idly these years, but has been writing, planning and talking about projects the whole time, and also growing up.

There was a neat bit where Patton Oswalt (the moderator) talked about how Richard Stanley is amazing at making really ugly, dirty gritty and unpleasant places/ideas really beautiful, citing how Hardware is a dystopian film, but remains beautiful throughout. Stanley responded (approximately) that "That's mainly what I learned from Dario Argento. I got to know him, and he was my first mentor in film. I was at the premiere of Phenomena, and Dario was looking for some weed. Me being a big smoker at the time, hanging out behind the scenes, I smoked a joint with him, and that made us quick friends. He taught me a lot of things, but the big one, was to try and find beauty in absolutely everything, especially the disturbing, the macabre. He said, I remember, 'You know Richard, the end of the universe will absolutely be as beautiful, if not more beautiful, than it's beginning.' And that really stuck with me throughout my life. Really I apply it to everything I do."

And then they talked a little about his intentions with the visuals of Color Out of Space, but it's a little spoilery and less cool than that.

Also, everyone should re-check their local listings. Looks like a lot of theaters are getting a limited run of Color Out of Space. My theater's getting it for a whole week or two starting tomorrow.

If you can see it, I'd highly recommend it. There's a lot of visual stuff that will be lost in translation to the small screen, unless you have an OLED TV. (Which reminds me, I feel like Richard Stanley took some inspiration from Twin Peaks The Return with how he filmed some of the woods. There's a sequence with a flashlight in the dark woods that's right out of Twin Peaks, and just as creepy.)

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 23, 2020

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I watched Midsommar last night and I guess I kind of liked it? Some parts. Overall it was a bombastic and shocking movie (spoilers to be safe) but I thought in such a well thought out movie some of the decisions the American kids made were very dumb, even by horror movie standards. Also I don't know if anyone had this issue or if it's my TV but everything was so much louder than the talking that I was straining the listen the entire time. I was watching it from Amazon prime if that matters.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

COOL CORN posted:

Isn't he literally an insane mess at the end of the first movie? I can't imagine after 3.

He definitely has PTSD, but he hasn't gone completely mad yet. He'll probably take some time off work to try and have a nice relaxing vacation in the sleepy little town of Dunwich. Just really kick back and spend a lot of time doing super safe activities like chilling in the library (and this is where movie two begins).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah you gotta see Color in the theater. If only for the audience reactions to moments, such as the carrot scene.

Also there’s something about seeing a movie like that in the theater that makes it spookier time me. Just the slow reveal to what’s in the barn gave me that good movie anxiety.

Also some of the visuals at the end go huge in a way that I didn’t expect.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

He definitely has PTSD, but he hasn't gone completely mad yet. He'll probably take some time off work to try and have a nice relaxing vacation in the sleepy little town of Dunwich. Just really kick back and spend a lot of time doing super safe activities like chilling in the library (and this is where movie two begins).

Even if as a minor character, he should keep appearing in other Lovecraft horror movies by accident while trying to live a mundane life.

*Chilling in some beach

*Fishman appears

“Oh not this poo poo again”

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He should team up with the guy that Stuart Gordon used in Dagon and Dreams in the Witch House.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Franchescanado posted:

Nothing too crazy.

That's quite a recap! Thank you!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Just got back from seeing Underwater. Overall I liked it and thought the tight pacing really worked well. Trailers were The Turning which I've already posted in thread and these two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng5eyOfL8qM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_vJhUAOFpI

I know New Mutants is really more a superhero thing, but I'm intrigued about the horror angle they're taking.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpfkLEuqnWg

seriously this is some out-of-this-world cosmic poo poo, stetson really went huge for this score and i loved it

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

did anyone else get an annoying amount of clapping and cheering during Cage's scenes? like i get he's kind of a meme to a lot of people now, but come on. there were some genuinely moving/disturbing scenes being cheered over like it was a football game. I'm talking hooting and hollering and yelling at the screen.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ZZZorcerer posted:

Even if as a minor character, he should keep appearing in other Lovecraft horror movies by accident while trying to live a mundane life.

*Chilling in some beach

*Fishman appears

“Oh not this poo poo again”

Eventually he ends up just punching Nyarlathotep to death because the sheer amount of frustration of having to constantly deal with a new cosmic horror every week has built up to the point where it allows him to bend the rules of reality.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

dorium posted:

did anyone else get an annoying amount of clapping and cheering during Cage's scenes? like i get he's kind of a meme to a lot of people now, but come on. there were some genuinely moving/disturbing scenes being cheered over like it was a football game. I'm talking hooting and hollering and yelling at the screen.

There was laughter when he's having the breakdown over the car not working. Which is weird. I guess it's kinda funny, but really he's just freaking out with complete desperation and feels trapped and insecure and a failed father and crazy poo poo is happening, and I was really impressed with how Cage just went all in. I get a sense of sincere vulnerability with that kind of extreme emotion; it's a moment that you have when you're all alone. Just like the bathroom breakdown in Mandy. To laugh at it is a little weird. But people think Cage is funny.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Franchescanado posted:

There was laughter when he's having the breakdown over the car not working. Which is weird. I guess it's kinda funny, but really he's just freaking out with complete desperation and feels trapped and insecure and a failed father and crazy poo poo is happening, and I was really impressed with how Cage just went all in. I get a sense of sincere vulnerability with that kind of extreme emotion; it's a moment that you have when you're all alone. Just like the bathroom breakdown in Mandy. To laugh at it is a little weird. But people think Cage is funny.

yea there was that and the attic scene with him telling the kids he's gunna handle it, that was just cheering and applause like the terminator just came into the room and started blowing people away. I just didnt get it I guess.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think because the scene before is just so bug nuts that you’re just grasping on to some kind of heroic moment.

We got nervous laughs. Also his freak outs were funny, sad and terrifying all at once. It was perfect cage.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CelticPredator posted:

I think because the scene before is just so bug nuts that you’re just grasping on to some kind of heroic moment.

We got nervous laughs. Also his freak outs were funny, sad and terrifying all at once. It was perfect cage.

I think the best moment of Cage acting (in a movie filled with great Cage moments) was when the hydrologist and the sheriff get to the house and he's acting like his family is still there and talking about how his son "lives in the well now". It was so creepy and sad and unnerving.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

How intense is this film. Like I'm dealing with some stuff. Is it humorous or B movie or is it like real heavy film.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

dorium posted:

there was a ton of laughing in my theater but hell, the movie was pretty funny. a lot of cages dialogue was hilarious even later on when poo poo had thoroughly hit the fan.

i feel like it was going for similar vibes to Midsommar, an unsettling creepy extremely dark comedy, but did a much more entertaining job.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Hollismason posted:

How intense is this film. Like I'm dealing with some stuff. Is it humorous or B movie or is it like real heavy film.

It's not heavy, a lot of the talk about it being a family drama is overwrought I feel. there's a moody daughter and a slacker son but nothing gut wrenching. its hard to really be scared because the villain is what it is, so the movie is just very good spectacle. it's funny without undermining itself or not taking itself seriously. just a really drat good movie.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hollismason posted:

It's not Hereditary levels of dark, if that's what you're asking. I feel like you'd be okay watching it, are there any specific things that you might find particularly distressing? I could let you know whether or not they're in it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the thing i found most distressing / nightmarish was when the mum and the boy get fused together, nobody really talks to the boy or worries about him. it's entirely focused on the mum, despite them both obviously being utterly hosed.

that said, there's some very very definitely funny bits in this movie. i like that even before contact, Cage is an oddball. but a well-intentioned kooky sort of dorky dad. it's just that as the movie goes on he really gets to unhinge, and his oddball behaviour gets a mean streak to it.

the more i think about it the more i loved this movie. a really great start to 2020!

alpacas - the animal of the future.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

dorium posted:

You know what, now that I think of it, maybe my criticism of the film being The Nic Cage Show was rooted in this. From the llama scene onward my audience was loudly cheering everything he did and I found it distracting. Normally I don't mind that but Colour is such a mood that it took me out of the movie a bit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIauCZkRtr4

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Yo I know everyone always talks about Brotherhood of the Wolf as the Bloodborne movie, and it’s cool and did obviously inspire bloodborne. But I just watched the Hardwicke Red Riding Hood and that movie is also pretty much just what if The Company of Wolves, but also Bloodborne. Great looking movie, sexiest medieval village of all time, Gary Oldman eats several scenes worth of set dressing whole. It’s got one cheap red herring and a crappy exposition scene but it’s otherwise pretty sick

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Hollismason posted:

It's played totally straight and there are no laughs after the first half hour or so. It's not Reanimator.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

DeimosRising posted:

what if The Company of Wolves, but also Bloodborne.

well i'm sold

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I just realized that the youngest kid in Color Out of Space is also in Greener Grass. That kid must have the greatest agent to land pretty significant roles in two of the weirdest loving movies of the year.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
He’s also Luke in the Haunting of Hill House

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Relevant Tangent posted:

It's played totally straight and there are no laughs after the first half hour or so. It's not Reanimator.
The UFO scene is hilarious.

Dunno if that was in the first hour or not.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Benito Cereno posted:

He’s also Luke in the Haunting of Hill House

He's gonna be a star.

"NO YOU'RE A SCHOOL!!"

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Relevant Tangent posted:

Well that’s not completely true. There are genuinely funny moments. As CP said, the television interview, but also the tomato scene, some moments near the end. The humor just has a lot of bite to it, and people were too busy laughing at some of Cage’s performance instead of the actual humor.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

is that you lurdiak

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The only showing near me of the Color out of Space is tomorrow at 9:00 :(

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

The only showing near me of the Color out of Space is tomorrow at 9:00 :(

Better put in your PTO quick then??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

DeimosRising posted:

Yo I know everyone always talks about Brotherhood of the Wolf as the Bloodborne movie, and it’s cool and did obviously inspire bloodborne. But I just watched the Hardwicke Red Riding Hood and that movie is also pretty much just what if The Company of Wolves, but also Bloodborne. Great looking movie, sexiest medieval village of all time, Gary Oldman eats several scenes worth of set dressing whole. It’s got one cheap red herring and a crappy exposition scene but it’s otherwise pretty sick

Didn't know this existed but I'll be checking it out tonight. I just bought Brotherhood of the Wolf on blu ray last week and it holds up a LOT better than I thought it would. Production design on that movie was top notch.