Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Fintilgin posted:

It's definitely a game I intend to try again when I have more time/mental energy, but it's a bunch of little things.

The simultaneous turns thing is there to stay, they've been doing it for a while and I appreciate why (suuuuper multiplayer friendly), I know its weird but 99% of the time its functionally equivalent for single player. Es1's implementation was awful tho ignore it.

There's an option in the settings to make the GUI bigger.

Their wacky lore is imo a big draw, just roll with it. Tech trees rarely made much sense anyways. ES2 toned down the quests / roleplaying a lot, to my dismay. If you've already bought it, it might be worth giving EL another go later on?

edit: shameful page snipe for a game not even ITT. sorry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I just played a game all the way to the end on a large map for the first time since 2.0 and lag was no worse than before, even as I was swinging around 15 maxed out endgame fleets at the same time. All I had to do was build a new PC and genocide trillions of sentient aliens and micromanage every single goddamn planet in every sector myself (why do we even have sectors/governors anymore?). I can see now why this game appeals to genocidal nationalists- it makes a strong case against the sanctity of life.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Was the new Origins system a part of the Federation DLC? Or was it separate?

'Cause it actually seems more interesting than whatever that mess is.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

PiCroft posted:

So far, the governor/sector system seems to have been tweaked but not really fleshed out much (in fact its gotten worse since I can't manually create sectors anymore, really fun when you take over another empire of any appreciable size!)
You can create and rearrange sectors at any time (except the capital sector) - go to a planet and click the + button where the sector information is to make a new sector with that planet as the center. Or to remove that sector entirely if it's already one.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

RagnarokZ posted:

Was the new Origins system a part of the Federation DLC? Or was it separate?

'Cause it actually seems more interesting than whatever that mess is.

IIRC origins are a free part of the update to the core game but certain origins are locked to various dlc that provided the civics they are replacing. A lot of the fun new origins are locked to the federations DLC.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

ShadowHawk posted:

You can create and rearrange sectors at any time (except the capital sector) - go to a planet and click the + button where the sector information is to make a new sector with that planet as the center. Or to remove that sector entirely if it's already one.

Holy poo poo, I never spotted this :negative:

Guess I haven't been keeping up with my patch notes

Psamtik I
Sep 30, 2005
Does the Star Trek mod work properly with the current patch? Is the late-game slowdown any better in the Trek mod, or is it the same as the base game?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Rommel1896 posted:

Does the Star Trek mod work properly with the current patch? Is the late-game slowdown any better in the Trek mod, or is it the same as the base game?

In general the ST mod is updated fairly quickly but I'm not sure about the current patch, you can always select the patchver that it does support in the Stellaris client.

The map in the trek mod is very large, which is part of what makes it interesting - things are reasonably spaced and empires+lore are familiar. On the other hand, a giant map with lots of factions will get you quite some lategame slowdown.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

I can't believe they aren't adding anything about improving/sabotaging relationships between two other empires, and that there isn't anything about chipping away at other federations by getting empires to leave, or to join yours instead. That kinda stuff is the last major game area that feels completely absent, and it's crazy that the diplomacy expansion isn't doing anything about it. If not now, I guess never?

They're even adding the envoy thing; why can't you use them to mediate between two warring empires to increase the chances of a peace treaty, or to try to drive a wedge between some of your enemies?

Compared to some of the better Civ games, it feels like there's very little you can do with other empires in Stellaris. They're around you, every now and then they send a request to make some of your numbers higher and others lower, and every other now and then you declare war on one or more of them. There's none of the sense of building up relations with a foreign power like you might have in Civ4, and it looks like this expansion isn't really addressing that.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Prior to the Federations patch: once federations enter the scene diplomacy ends, and it's foreverwar subjugation only even if both sides are egalitarian xenophiles

After the Federation patch: once federations enter the scene diplomacy ends, but now people inside the federation can choose between some flavor events and modifiers as a consolation prize

ffs just rip off New Horizon for all their mechanics and change the game to let federations merge

literally just that

c'mon Paradox

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
If you think about it, the diplomacy update barely changes anything about diplomacy. :psyduck:

You get modifiers, the diplomatic stances, the envoys, but...

Federations remain as static as ever and that's the real issue, which is just entirely being ignored.

Meanwhile Origins are like 40% retooled civics, 40% "Start as (x) planettype)", 10% mods turned into vanilla features, 10% new stuff.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Complications posted:

Prior to the Federations patch: once federations enter the scene diplomacy ends, and it's foreverwar subjugation only even if both sides are egalitarian xenophiles

After the Federation patch: once federations enter the scene diplomacy ends, but now people inside the federation can choose between some flavor events and modifiers as a consolation prize

ffs just rip off New Horizon for all their mechanics and change the game to let federations merge

literally just that

c'mon Paradox

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

I can't believe they aren't adding anything about improving/sabotaging relationships between two other empires, and that there isn't anything about chipping away at other federations by getting empires to leave, or to join yours instead. That kinda stuff is the last major game area that feels completely absent, and it's crazy that the diplomacy expansion isn't doing anything about it. If not now, I guess never?

They're even adding the envoy thing; why can't you use them to mediate between two warring empires to increase the chances of a peace treaty, or to try to drive a wedge between some of your enemies?

Compared to some of the better Civ games, it feels like there's very little you can do with other empires in Stellaris. They're around you, every now and then they send a request to make some of your numbers higher and others lower, and every other now and then you declare war on one or more of them. There's none of the sense of building up relations with a foreign power like you might have in Civ4, and it looks like this expansion isn't really addressing that.
Like, again maybe I'm crazy, but what I was expecting was:
1) the ability to impose certain conditions on federation members through majority vote, like slavery, free movement etc.
2) the ability to press the "invite to federation" button on people already in a federation, or the ability to propose an outright merger (presumably with the fringe members having a high chance to split off during the merger, and federation size being soft capped by the cohesion mechanic and emergent organic frictions due to 1 above)
3) ability to send envoys to further political goals, like disrupting/improving relations, gathering favours, or improving proposal acceptance

Like, I could see 3 and the latter half of 2 as potentially controversial but the first half were, I thought, no brainers

Splicer fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 24, 2020

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I'm thinking of getting back into the game and looking at the DLC, which ones are worth it? I don't care much about the portrait packs.

I've looked at steam reviews but that's a crapshoot and honestly make me question if I should play this at all.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Appocalypse and Utopia are the only really needed ones. The rest are basically bonus content (events, archeology, monsters) specific races like machines, megacorps, rock-people or purely cosmetic.

Horizon signal is free and awesome. (I forget if it's integrated into the base game these days).

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

So is Stellaris worth it these days? I stopped basically before the big economy overhaul and want to try it out again, but I'm hearing there are technical issues and diplomacy is still bad.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I think if anything Federations need some sort of force that tends to make them fall apart. I find that galaxies have an awful tendency to congeal and then stay largely the same for the second century of the game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

dex_sda posted:

So is Stellaris worth it these days? I stopped basically before the big economy overhaul and want to try it out again, but I'm hearing there are technical issues and diplomacy is still bad.
A lot of people are still enjoying it, but for those of us with hundreds of hours in we get tired of the jank/half baked systems/bugs. I still enjoy the baseline gameplay but I havent played in a while because there are some really poorly coded logic systems that kinda ruin it for me. If you dont dive deep into the issues it is still enjoyable.

PittTheElder posted:

I think if anything Federations need some sort of force that tends to make them fall apart. I find that galaxies have an awful tendency to congeal and then stay largely the same for the second century of the game.
This would be nice and it seems like there a few things built in to kinda-cause people to want to leave eventually, but I doubt that it will actually do anything.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

A lot of people are still enjoying it, but for those of us with hundreds of hours in we get tired of the jank/half baked systems/bugs. I still enjoy the baseline gameplay but I havent played in a while because there are some really poorly coded logic systems that kinda ruin it for me. If you dont dive deep into the issues it is still enjoyable.

Any worthwhile mods or not really?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

dex_sda posted:

I dont play with any mods because I find navigating the steam workshop a pain, mods are often unstable unless they are the major works of art like the Startrek mod, and I dont want to get attached to a mod only for its creator to get tired of the Devs breaking the game and their mod with every update.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PittTheElder posted:

This is one of those grand strategy expectations vs 4x expectation things. If you're playing a grand strategy space opera game then large empires or alliances inevitably splitting apart due to internal pressures is a standard trope. If you're playing a 4x then large empires or alliances inevitably splitting apart is rng bullshit taking control away from the player. Stellaris continues to try to ride the fence on this with a significant lean toward the 4x side.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

dex_sda posted:

There used to be. An update hosed up modding spectacularly, in relation to them pushing out their new launcher, so a lot of mods haven't been updated since. I know my group stopped playing Stellaris once we couldn't launch modded multiplayer without having to pass around a zip file with all the mods being used. Here's the last collection we used before launcherhell happened if you want inspiration, though I have no idea what's been updated and what haven't.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=794924166

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Man, as someone who doesn't mind all the problems Stellaris has, this is looking up to being a very disappointing expac. Peaceful interactions between nations needed a major update, and this is not enough. Unfortunate.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Yami Fenrir posted:

If you think about it, the diplomacy update barely changes anything about diplomacy. :psyduck:

Yeah. Stellaris sorely needs more depth in the way you interact with other empires, and there are so many possibilities for how that could work. Seeing in the q&a that their answer to any question about stuff like that was "ahhhh, no, we aren't doing that" or "huh, never considered it, no plans at this time" kinda sucks. If I can't woo another empire through anything other than spamming them with resources, and I can't improve/worsen relations between two other empires, or convince an ally to switch over to my federation, this expansion is completely half-baked.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Yeah. Stellaris sorely needs more depth in the way you interact with other empires, and there are so many possibilities for how that could work. Seeing in the q&a that their answer to any question about stuff like that was "ahhhh, no, we aren't doing that" or "huh, never considered it, no plans at this time" kinda sucks. If I can't woo another empire through anything other than spamming them with resources, and I can't improve/worsen relations between two other empires, or convince an ally to switch over to my federation, this expansion is completely half-baked.
How do you make an update/DLC with Envoys in it and not actually let the envoy???

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I’m assuming that envoys at least let me attempt to improve relations ala EU4? That was something that felt pretty missing from Stellaris at launch and is still gone. But there are so many missed chances to make it better than EU4’s interaction.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the DLC at least gives you the option to strengthen the relationship with another empire.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Yes, you'll be able to butter up somebody with envoys. It doesnt matter how much an empire likes you though , if they're in a federation they will never ever leave without being liberated or otherwise punched out of.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So the New Year sale ends in like 28ish hours and I'm looking to "pull the trigger" (as the kids say these days) on these:
Stellaris
Leviathans Story Pack
Utopia
Apocalypse
Humanoids Species Pack
Distant Stars Story Pack
MegaCorp
Ancient Relics Story Pack

With these am I going to be missing any major mechanisms? Do the Plants/Rocks/AI packs actually add anything if you aren't planning on playing as a plant/rock/robutt?

E: Also, I'm confused about soundtrack DLC? I like the bullshit faux-classical orchestral music in Paradox games but it seems like the game content DLCs should already have music (since the soundtrack DLC says the soundtrack is "from" those DLCs)?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 26, 2020

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Lithoids adds new mechanics but only for rockfolk. Note that Humanoids is purely aesthetic fyi.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

GunnerJ posted:

Lithoids adds new mechanics but only for rockfolk. Note that Humanoids is purely aesthetic fyi.

Yeah, but one of the portraits looks to be :orks101: so, in conclusion, Stellaris DLC is a land of contrasts?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Oh it's a good graphics pack, yeah, but you were asking about new gameplay stuff so I figured I'd let you know just in case.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

GunnerJ posted:

Oh it's a good graphics pack, yeah, but you were asking about new gameplay stuff so I figured I'd let you know just in case.

I mean, on the one hand I think it's (very) slightly offensive to support gaming companies releasing low-content graphics-only DLCs, but on the other hand:

:wink: Hey, sailor...

Like I said, land of contrasts.

:shrug:

E: So the Synthetic Dawn thing is labeled a "Story Pack" (versus the Humanoid/Plant/Rock "Species Packs"), does it have actual Men of Iron-type "revolt of the machines" or Butlerian Jihad-type "suffer not the silica animus to live" content at all?

E2: Oh hey, you can customize the adviser voices so it's not just one dude. That's worth a couple of bucks I guess?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 26, 2020

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Schadenboner posted:

E: So the Synthetic Dawn thing is labeled a "Story Pack" (versus the Humanoid/Plant/Rock "Species Packs"), does it have actual Men of Iron-type "revolt of the machines" or Butlerian Jihad-type "suffer not the silica animus to live" content at all?

Yes it does. Your robots can revolt against you, and it includes not just robot societies with a different mechanic, but also robots that want to exterminate non robotic life, borglike robots that want to assimilate organics, and out of contrial service robots, who want to serve humanity(and blorgarity), regardless of humanity's thoughts on the matter.

It adds robots as a playable type, along with three different kinds with their own mechanic, and a mid game crisis that can start if a species has robot slaves.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Epicurius posted:

Yes it does. Your robots can revolt against you, and it includes not just robot societies with a different mechanic, but also robots that want to exterminate non robotic life, borglike robots that want to assimilate organics, and out of contrial service robots, who want to serve humanity(and blorgarity), regardless of humanity's thoughts on the matter.

It adds robots as a playable type, along with three different kinds with their own mechanic, and a mid game crisis that can start if a species has robot slaves.

I just ended up grabbing the "Ascension" bundle which had that and the planty bois. I think I have all the packs except for the rock one (and stuff like the "Galaxy Edition" upgrade and the soundtrack which I can't really see as being worth it?)

:homebrew:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Schadenboner posted:

So the New Year sale ends in like 28ish hours and I'm looking to "pull the trigger" (as the kids say these days) on these:
Stellaris
Leviathans Story Pack
Utopia
Apocalypse
Humanoids Species Pack
Distant Stars Story Pack
MegaCorp

With these am I going to be missing any major mechanisms? Do the Plants/Rocks/AI packs actually add anything if you aren't planning on playing as a plant/rock/robutt?

E: Also, I'm confused about soundtrack DLC? I like the bullshit faux-classical orchestral music in Paradox games but it seems like the game content DLCs should already have music (since the soundtrack DLC says the soundtrack is "from" those DLCs)?

As much as people itt who have been playing Stellaris for years and years bitch about mechanics and call it a bad broken game... This is probably several hundred hours of fun content that you're purchasing, and I hope you enjoy it! I certainly have gotten more than my money's worth of entertainment from this silly game.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Schadenboner posted:

Stellaris
Leviathans Story Pack
Utopia
Apocalypse
Humanoids Species Pack
Distant Stars Story Pack
MegaCorp

If you haven't pulled the trigger yet and want to get the plants and AI you can save a few extra pennies by buying through the Ascension bundle:
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/6186/Stellaris_Ascension_Pack/
If you're not getting the galaxy edition you can save a few more pennies by buying the starter pack (https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/7611/Stellaris_Starter_Pack/ ) and then the ascension pack. You gotta buy them one after another and in that order though!

I'd skip Lithoids for now until the next sale in case it goes on sale.

The soundtrack doesn't give you extra music, it gives you the game music in easy-to-put-on-other-devices format.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 26, 2020

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

How are u posted:

As much as people itt who have been playing Stellaris for years and years bitch about mechanics and call it a bad broken game... This is probably several hundred hours of fun content that you're purchasing, and I hope you enjoy it! I certainly have gotten more than my money's worth of entertainment from this silly game.

I don't think Stellaris is a bad broken game, but I do suspect obsessing over it for years has rendered me a bad broken person.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Schadenboner posted:

I just ended up grabbing the "Ascension" bundle which had that and the planty bois. I think I have all the packs except for the rock one (and stuff like the "Galaxy Edition" upgrade and the soundtrack which I can't really see as being worth it?)

:homebrew:
The Galaxy edition gives you a unique spider dude, an ebook, some wallpapers, a sense of completion, and (I think) the complete soundtrack.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Carcer posted:

I'm thinking of getting back into the game and looking at the DLC, which ones are worth it? I don't care much about the portrait packs.

I've looked at steam reviews but that's a crapshoot and honestly make me question if I should play this at all.

I like all of them. I would caution against ignoring some of the ones like Distant Stars and Archaeology because they're pure anomalies, events, and more lore, which is in my opinion, the heart of the game! If you're tired of juts ignoring what anomalies say and keep clicking through them because you've seen them before, then you really need those!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, I'd say people wouldn't bitch so hard about the flaws in this game if they didn't like the game as a whole. If it was just poo poo all the way down the thread would've died years ago.