Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DJExile posted:

make his entrance theme "Return of the Mack" you cowards

i've been saying for years that should be somebody's theme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Best theme song ever, hands down man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SVMI0OXC0w

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

you mean this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBSZew9A4GQ

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

wait, I thought Ice Train was dead

why did I think Ice Train was dead

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Maybe you were thinking of Mass Transit.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you was thinking of Ice Vein, who died from circulatory issues

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

this is the best wcw theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL_WPOWxAkw

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Alaois posted:

wait, I thought Ice Train was dead

why did I think Ice Train was dead

because most of our large 90s roidy boys are gone :(

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Chris Jericho's first WCW theme is unbeatable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do-9cJML16Y

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DJExile posted:

make his entrance theme "Return of the Mack" you cowards

My man

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I forgot about the Bruise Cruise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyBv5P_rSx4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt_k1gKd6uE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LohWU8jxDFU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GKnzG4xAsg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3bTaWdwUKU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUr999vEBzI

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I would give a lot to know the identity of Cheatham. Can't find an IMDB page for the guy.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I would give a lot to know the identity of Cheatham. Can't find an IMDB page for the guy.

He started a law firm with his partners Dewey and Howe

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He started a law firm with his partners Dewey and Howe

goddamn i haven't heard that joke in forever

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The superior 3 Stooges name was Hammond Egger.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Where is the Scott Steiner "I HATE DUCKS!" bit from? Is it a Nitro? I gotta see Bryan and Vinny's reaction to this.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Where is the Scott Steiner "I HATE DUCKS!" bit from? Is it a Nitro? I gotta see Bryan and Vinny's reaction to this.

The announcers screaming YESSSS HIT THE DUCK WE LOVE YOU SCOTT STEINER are Tony and Tenay so I assume it's a Nitro, and it's somewhere during Russo's 2nd run with WCW, that's as close as I can pin it down.

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

September 27th, 2000 Thunder

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RecoomesSexyRear posted:

September 27th, 2000 Thunder

Drat. Well they have mentioned maybe doing Thunder and Smackdown once Nitro and Raw are done.

Thanks for the info.

Also this was the coolest thing to me back in the day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jS8LaZYlfY

I loved Konnan and the Filthy Animals.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Sorry for the small picture but it's all I have. Dr. Quarex over in the GenCon thread found an archive of GenCon's webpage from 2000. Wizards of the Coast had a huge booth in the middle of the vendor hall (HERE) and I'm dying to know what product they had in 2000 for WCW.

Edit: It was a trading card game, of course!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It was a collectible card game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9959/wcw-nitro-trading-card-game

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The versions of the Buff Bagwell and Jeff Jarrett cards shown there are different from the ones that come in the starter packs as those don't have gameplay mechanics that allow you to strut or be The Stuff once per turn.

I have a pack or two of the Attitude Era Raw card game as well, maybe I should find a way to combine the Nitro cards to make an Invasion game.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

overmind2000 posted:

The versions of the Buff Bagwell and Jeff Jarrett cards shown there are different from the ones that come in the starter packs as those don't have gameplay mechanics that allow you to strut or be The Stuff once per turn.

I have a pack or two of the Attitude Era Raw card game as well, maybe I should find a way to combine the Nitro cards to make an Invasion game.

There is a community still producing new Raw Deal cards and I think they did a lot of the invasion era stuff.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Oh great, a reminder of the time they turned Alex Wright heel, called him Berlyn and gave him Wall as his bodyguard, because d'uh. Should've at least had an angle with Hogan to have him say "THAT'S THE BERLYN WALL BROTHER, HEY WALL", but literally nothing came of it and before too long Wright was back with Disco. Actually, not sure which of those gimmicks were worse.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

overmind2000 posted:

I bought 2 boxes of booster packs of the game like 10 years ago, when it was long dead. They were $3 per box of 36 packs because they were on clearance. I think the shipping from US to Denmark was like $40. I already had the starter decks with the special JJ and Buff.

It was a pretty fun game all told, a lot of the mechanics went into the WWF card game that came out a few years later, Raw Deal? I think.

I tried very hard for like 2 years to find the Hardcore expansion but that was released like just prior to WCW dying and as such, the game along with it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Oh Raw Deal has been brought up again. So I brought this up awhile back that my friends (not me though, I didn't go) went to GenCon 2001 and just about swept every event there including the World Championships? Made such a name for ourselves that people from across the country and overseas visited our rinkydink town in the middle of north central Ma to play Raw Deal at the events we hosted. It's sort of our "When we were kings" old nostalgia bloom. I wasn't really a king though; earl at best.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I found the old write-up I made for a ccg thread in trad games.

Once upon a time (in the year 2000 to be exact) Wizards of the Coast decided to make a CCG based on professional wrestling. Namely, World Championship Wrestling. It was called WCW Nitro, named after the flagship TV show. Of course, WCW ceased to exist in March of 2001 so the game wasn't exactly long lived.

It was a fairly simple game actually, you can learn to play it in about ten minutes.

The way it works is that you have a 60 card deck and then your wrestler of choice who is outside the deck and starts in play.

This is what the wrestler cards looks like:

The colours at the top tells you which kinds of moves your wrestler can do.
Blue cards are high-risk, high-flyer moves. Green cards are mat wrestling moves or maneuvers. Magenta cards are lifting or power moves. Orange cards are hardcore or illegal moves. Yellow cards are submission moves. White cards are special actions that any Wrestler can use. No more than four of any of these cards can be included in your deck.

The little +1 means that any move of that colour does an additional damage if it hits.

The number in the star is the wrestlers reputation which is used for two things. To decide who goes first and it dictates the starting hand size.

Each wrestler also has a special ability that you can use once per turn.

Lets look at some moves:

Immediately we can see three numbers on these cards.
The top number (in the red N) is the required amount of Nitro you need to have in play to actually do your move.
Nitro cards represent the cost or preparation necessary to play another card. You must have Nitro cards in play in sufficient numbers to be able to play other desired cards. Once played, Nitro cards are never "used up" or "tapped". They remain in play and allow you to play your other cards unless another game event requires one or more Nitro to be discarded. Your deck may have any number of Nitro cards in it. The final thing that Nitro does is that you have more Nitro cards in play than your opponent you gain a "Nitro bonus" which grants you +1 damage to your attacks.

The silver triangle tells you how many "action points" it costs to perform your move. You get 3 action points every turn to use and you have three things to do with them. You can obviously perform your moves but you can also play Nitro cards at 1 AP per card or you can choose to draw 1 card for 1 AP.

The last number in the D is naturally the amount of damage done to the opponent. The colour inside the D also tells you which type of move it is.
Now you might be wondering exactly how you win, since there's no health indicator on the wrestler cards. The way it works is that when you land a succesful attack on your opponent the damage he takes is in the form of cards from his deck being put into his discard pile. When your opponent has no cards left in his deck, then you win. The flavour idea being that you have exhausted your opponent and he is now incapable of defending himself.

The other important card type is the Thunder cards. These are various defensive cards.

The Thunder cards all have two modes as you can see in the picture. The hand icon tells you what happens if you play this card from your hand during an opponents attack.
The deck icon is what happens if this card is revealed due to an opponent dealing damage to you. Say you get whacked for 10 damage and Block came up as card number five then the rest of the damage would be ignored. There are even Thunder cards that will completely negate the attack and end your opponents turn.

Each wrestler of course also has 3 signature moves that only they can do, they are typically very powerful effects so they are limited to 1 each per deck.

The game died for a number of reasons. It wasn't actually a very balanced game which I guess is because it was so shortlived. If you built it right though you could have a deck that can win on the first turn.

There was actually an expansion made but I dont think very many boxes were shipped out before the game got killed. I've never actually been able to find any packs or cards from it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

If only the Nitro card game could have got WCW a full house

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I remember seeing a review of this in a gaming mag and the reviewer even pointed out that the WCW license wasn't so hot anymore.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've suddenly recalled that one of the FLGS had some starter sets out on clearance a few years ago. Kicking myself that I didn't buy them.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've suddenly recalled that one of the FLGS had some starter sets out on clearance a few years ago. Kicking myself that I didn't buy them.

There are a lot of sealed starter sets floating around on ebay for very cheap.

Bit harder to find the booster packs, but they're there as well.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

If only the Nitro card game could have got WCW a full house

:discourse:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Was Sasaki on his excursion when he was in WCW, or was it part of their agreement with NJPW?

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Who should we put as the face cards of the starter decks for our brand new game? Rey Mysterio, Ric Flair, Sting, Goldberg?

No, lets put 2 mid carders that were trying to cram down everyones mouth as top stars in the company, maybe if children buy the decks they'll finally get over.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 1, 2020

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I rented this game once. It suuuuuuuuucked.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

This showed up in my "previously viewed" section on eBay. I don't remember looking at it and I can only assume it came from this thread. I had to be reminded about it and now you do too.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What a weird lineup nWo 2000 was

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scott Hall's AWA figure

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007