Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Bit of an odd question, I know, but is there any significant difference between the PS4 version of the Batman Arkham trilogy and the PC versions? I imagine the console version of Asylum will look a bit nicer, but what about City? Any extras or anything exclusive to the remaster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
There are no major differences between the PS3 and PC versions of Arkham City that I know of, but the 360 version used to have savegame errors and freeze bugs. Not sure those ever even got fixed, so that is one to avoid.

Arkham Asylum for PS3 has extra content over the PC version, like a game mode where you can play the Joker.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Grim Dawn is on sale for cheap, but there's a bunch of dlc too. recommendations?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Scott Forstall posted:

Grim Dawn is on sale for cheap, but there's a bunch of dlc too. recommendations?

Ashes of malmouth and forgotten gods are both real good and add significant amounts of content to the game. New acts, new classes, etc. The crucible is just a wave based hoard mode mostly used for powerleveling new characters or testing end game builds against hard encounters. Not a necessary pickup at all. The rest are just cosmetics.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, if you get Grim Dawn, get those two DLCs as well. They expand the base game substantially, plus most good build guides these days will assume that you at least have those.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

horace is very sweet and charming and the main character himself is a delight, and also the game is horrible and you will hate yourself and the world for playing it

:yeah:

StrixNebulosa posted:

Demoncrawl: why the hell is the storekeeper selling a dead rat. Who would buy that. Why would he stock that. Why.

buy the rat

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

MMF Freeway posted:

Ashes of malmouth and forgotten gods are both real good and add significant amounts of content to the game. New acts, new classes, etc. The crucible is just a wave based hoard mode mostly used for powerleveling new characters or testing end game builds against hard encounters. Not a necessary pickup at all. The rest are just cosmetics.

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, if you get Grim Dawn, get those two DLCs as well. They expand the base game substantially, plus most good build guides these days will assume that you at least have those.

good to know, thanks. the base game plus those two DLCs is more expensive than the definitive edition bundle that includes the DLCs plus Crucible mode(?) so whatever, I'm in.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham is free if you get it now.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/226667/Expansion__Crusader_Kings_II_Sons_of_Abraham/

At this rate I'll have the complete game and all expansions for free in about thirty years :shepface:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Det_no posted:

Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham is free if you get it now.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/226667/Expansion__Crusader_Kings_II_Sons_of_Abraham/

At this rate I'll have the complete game and all expansions for free in about thirty years :shepface:

https://www.pcgamer.com/paradox-is-testing-a-subscription-service-for-europa-universalis-4/

Maybe eventually Paradox will have their own subscription service for all their games. It's not like somebody is going to be done with their entire catalogue within a month, let alone a single game. Edit: Oh, I forgot they published some RPGs. So a slightly higher number.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 23, 2020

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I decided to not be greedy with the Steam sale since I had not checked my Humble Choice yet and Dirt Rally is 97GB, my PC is reeling just from installing this.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I think I might finally bite on Deep Rock Galactic but otherwise it looks like a standard steam sale (read: bunch of indie games on super discount I'm still probably going to add to the ever growing backlog.)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.rocketleague.com/news/ending-support-for-mac-and-linux/

Rocket League is axing Mac and Linux support and online play for them in March.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Have you ever dreamed of having Eddie Marsan DM a D&D session for you? I know you have.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1191940/Deathtrap_Dungeon_The_Interactive_Video_Adventure/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfTPlFz57TA

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

OhFunny posted:

Epic is so good for gaming.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

luxury handset posted:

frostpunk is like a light puzzle city builder and resource management game where the devs want to force you to consider the merits of child labor and cannibalism. one of those "tough moral choices" kind of games like papers please that's not mechanically difficult to play, but emotionally difficult

To be fair, some parts of Papers Please do get pretty stressful and a little mechanically difficult due to some of the curve balls and small things to notice. That and the limited time to process the 'tough moral choices' does make it somewhat effective in both fields. And don't get me started on how to organise your desk.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So did they stop bringing sale coins forward because people got poo poo tons of them from buying the Index?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Terminally Bored posted:

They're saving PC gaming, not Mac or Linux gaming :colbert:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i played through grim dawn once but thought it was far too slow coming from path of exile. i heard they added movement skills now with one of the expansions. are these like poe style zoom zoom or d3 style cooldowns?

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Awesome! posted:

i played through grim dawn once but thought it was far too slow coming from path of exile. i heard they added movement skills now with one of the expansions. are these like poe style zoom zoom or d3 style cooldowns?

The slower one, I'm afraid. They can't even bypass geometry.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Has there been anything new on that HZD-to-PC rumor?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I keep going back and forth on whether I want to get Rage 2. The gunplay looks fantastic and the colours are beautiful but everything else sounds like a slog.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Has there been anything new on that HZD-to-PC rumor?

It was by Jason Schreier so it's got pretty good chances of being true but also I wouldn't expect anything more concrete on it for at least a little bit, it's only been a week.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

what can I tell ya, I'm champing at the bit to destroy robotyrannosaurs with a bow and arrow again

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

what can I tell ya, I'm champing at the bit to destroy robotyrannosaurs with a bow and arrow again

Ciaphas posted:

champing at the bit

Ciaphas posted:

champing

someone spelled it right, i can finally die

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

Don't forget the Ashen devs quite literally saying the game was supposed to be supported further with more character/companion stuff, but they dropped if after the first DLC didn't sell/people weren't playing it.

Which like whatever, old model meets new model. But the bigger issue is the game is still buggy as poo poo, the vaunted co-op has a TON of issues that were supposed to come with a coop patch they dropped, and you can't coop between Epic and Steam.

No point completing the game when you just got the money upfront.

The new!! developer!! future!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chumping at the butt

Orv
May 4, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

someone spelled it right, i can finally die

For all intensive purposes it really doesn't matter how it's spelled.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Orv posted:

For all intensive purposes it really doesn't matter how it's spelled.

spelt

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Awesome! posted:

There is exactly one build that focuses on reducing the cooldown of the shield charge type skill to almost nothing. It is by far the fastest build in the game but like you have to farm a set of endgame equipment just to get the equivalent of an unlinked shield charge lol.

That said, I don't mind the pace really. It works for the game, you just have to adjust your expectations. I know plenty of PoE players say they enjoy it for the occasional change of pace.

Orv
May 4, 2011

poo poo, nice.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
You linguists were so preoccupied with whether or not you could of, you didn’t stop to think if you should of

Orv
May 4, 2011
We're all very cunning.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rookersh posted:

Don't forget the Ashen devs quite literally saying the game was supposed to be supported further with more character/companion stuff, but they dropped if after the first DLC didn't sell/people weren't playing it.

Which like whatever, old model meets new model. But the bigger issue is the game is still buggy as poo poo, the vaunted co-op has a TON of issues that were supposed to come with a coop patch they dropped, and you can't coop between Epic and Steam.

No point completing the game when you just got the money upfront.

The new!! developer!! future!!

lol

have any other devs talked about how it failed them?

i still think the funniest part is when Human Head took the Epic exclusive money to make that god awful Rune 3 or w/e and then released a shovelware and called it quits. i appreciate the grift

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I think Steam isn't downloading nearly as quickly as it could be and I haven't been able to diagnose why.

I have Steam set to download from a data center in the city nearest me -- the city is only about fifteen miles from my house, though I don't know the exact location of the datacenter in the city. Regardless, I'm very close and absolutely not out in the boonies.

I also have gigabit fiber to the home. When running download speed tests from my PC I routinely get 300+ megabits per second. (It's not the full 1000 Mbps because the machine connects over wifi -- when I plug in directly, I can get that speed.)

Despite this, Steam always caps at around 60 megabits per second. Notably, it even capped at this speed when I was previously on regular cable internet, not gigabit fiber. Maybe that's a coincidence.

I am sure that my Windows machine doesn't have a download speed limit, my router doesn't have a limit, and Steam doesn't have a limit. What else might be causing the slow speeds?

EDIT: I'mma plug in directly (instead of wifi) and see what speed I get.
EDIT2: Plugged in, I get 432 Megabits. Obviously much better, I guess I'll just plug in when downloading something large. Still, it's weird that it maxes at 60 Mb via wifi, since wifi is rated for higher speeds and clearly my ISP can deliver it. Maybe it's the router's wifi throughput? Or maybe I'm wrong about the capacity of 802.11-whatever-I-have.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 24, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Xaris posted:

lol

have any other devs talked about how it failed them?
There was a shareholder meeting a while back where the Metro publishers suggested they were disappointed with PC sales (tellingly, I don't think any of their games since have been Epic-only) and I think Control also undersold. Control was also one of the top-selling games on EGS last year, according to Epic themselves.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I think Steam isn't downloading nearly as quickly as it could be and I haven't been able to diagnose why.

I have Steam set to download from a data center in the city nearest me -- the city is only about fifteen miles from my house, though I don't know the exact location of the datacenter in the city. Regardless, I'm very close and absolutely not out in the boonies.

I also have gigabit fiber to the home. When running download speed tests from my PC I routinely get 300+ megabits per second. (It's not the full 1000 Mbps because the machine connects over wifi -- when I plug in directly, I can get that speed.)

Despite this, Steam always caps at around 60 megabits per second. Notably, it even capped at this speed when I was previously on regular cable internet, not gigabit fiber. Maybe that's a coincidence.

I am sure that my Windows machine doesn't have a download speed limit, my router doesn't have a limit, and Steam doesn't have a limit. What else might be causing the slow speeds?

EDIT: I'mma plug in directly (instead of wifi) and see what speed I get.
EDIT2: Plugged in, I get 432 Megabits. Obviously much better, I guess I'll just plug in when downloading something large. Still, it's weird that it maxes at 60 Mb via wifi, since wifi is rated for higher speeds and clearly my ISP can deliver it. Maybe it's the router's wifi throughput? Or maybe I'm wrong about the capacity of 802.11-whatever-I-have.

WiFi's speed ratings are a bunch of bullshit that assume you have multiple antennas in ideal interference free condition; 60 megabits/second sound very much like 802.11n in a single antenna configuration.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Steam tried to save Linux gaming, but nobody wanted a Steambox so they stopped.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

pseudorandom name posted:

WiFi's speed ratings are a bunch of bullshit that assume you have multiple antennas in ideal interference free condition; 60 megabits/second sound very much like 802.11n in a single antenna configuration.

To add onto this, wifi speed ratings also assume you're the only client and that there are no other WiFi networks on adjacent channels and no radio pollution anywhere near the band you're using. None of this is ever true. WiFi is only anywhere near as fast as it says if you live alone in total isolation, turn off WiFi on devices you're not using, and reboot your router pretty regularly (or use a firmware that reasonably intelligently manages resources, which most do not).

If wired connection is a reasonable option it is always the best one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

OhFunny posted:

What the gently caress? What an rear end in a top hat move