Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So... Obi Wan show not doing so hot. It was supposed to be 6 episodes but they only have 4 scripts and so production is on hold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

muscles like this! posted:

So... Obi Wan show not doing so hot. It was supposed to be 6 episodes but they only have 4 scripts and so production is on hold.

You misread the article. The series was set for six episodes, they only had two scripts (and there were concerns that they were already rehashing The Mandalorian), and now they're re-calibrating the show from six episodes to four (presumably because McGregor doesn't have unlimited availability and he'll walk if he's in "hurry up and wait" mode for too long).

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I do like that one himym episode that's got a subliminal countdown though. Really builds up the anxiety

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Wow, Disney+ done hosed up huh. They've got one tentpole show, and the final season of Clone Wars (which by definition doesn't have staying power), and... Uh... High School Musical: The Musical: The Series?

I mean it's Disney, so they've got money to burn, but their future plans basically ammount to some comic book art and unstable promises. Whoops.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

less laughter posted:

Outlander and Future Man, biatch

The first season of Future Man was amazing, but Season 2 was a massive dud

Outlander is quite good but kind of feels like it's running out of steam

I'd put 12 Monkeys above both of them

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
12 Monkeys is fun, but it really only consistently comes into its own once it moves to season two and feels less beholden to what the film was doing.

Continuum is better though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

12 Monkeys > Travelers > Continuum

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

GreenNight posted:

12 Monkeys > Travelers > Continuum

This is a hard one but I think for me it is

12 Monkeys > Continuum > Travelers

all 3 are just so good and so fun

Rhyno posted:

And 12M has Jennifer Goines.

She is a big part of the greatness of 12M for sure.

But Continuum has Garza... hmmm

isaboo fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 24, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Continuum's ending is incredible. Kira gets home but she already exists in the new timeline so she's still lost.

Travelers ties their story up with an outstanding internal retcon.

And 12M has Jennifer Goines.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Wow, Disney+ done hosed up huh. They've got one tentpole show, and the final season of Clone Wars (which by definition doesn't have staying power), and... Uh... High School Musical: The Musical: The Series?

I mean it's Disney, so they've got money to burn, but their future plans basically ammount to some comic book art and unstable promises. Whoops.

I feel liked Disney+ is clearly built on catering to 3 distinct audiences. 1) Hardcore MCU people, 2) Hardcore Star Wars people, and 3) People with kids. I imagine that last one will carry them through the lean times while the previous two will provide huge sparks. So like a bunch of people get all excited for Mandalorian now and a few months from now a bunch of people will be excited for a MCU show. But in the meantime they can sell it as the Disney Channel.

That's not gonna impress the critics looking for prestige shows every 2 weeks but I imagine it will be fine.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I only use Disney + because I got a free year with my cellphone plan, I am curious how many others are in the same boat and how many others won't be resubbing when that year ends.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I assume a lot of those first year deals were built on the idea that after a year they should have a bigger library of original content and a lot of their other licensing deals will have ended so they'll be the exclusive place to see their stuff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is quite a take

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Does Apple TV have a bunch of stuff coming out soon? Seemed like they hyped up their initial slate of shows and I haven't really heard or seen anything since then other than seeing maybe 1 ad for Little America. Every other content provider has a never ending stream of new shows but it feel like Apple just blew its wad and is just taking a nap now.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

so I decided to check out Black Mirror, I'm through the first 2 seasons and the Christmas special and I have just one question:

is there some reason why cuckoldry has been a major focus in each season? History of You, in season 1, shows us an insecure guy who thinks his wife is cheating and his suspicions are true and to top it all off of course she has unprotected sex with the other guy while she and husband are trying to get pregnant. I'm not sure what the point at the end of the episode was because I was so turned off by the premise.

Then it happens again in the loving Christmas special, I mean Jesus Christ I know communication can be bad between people but this is loving ridiculous!

15 Million Merits was good (I feel bad for the ignored girl but you know, she could've given ginger boy a little more attention once she realised Bing wasn't going to come around, he seemed like he could use anything :smith: ) and White Bear was pretty awesome in terms of executing a concept. I honestly thought that it was going to be a sort of Running Man type thing and the other girl was going to be revealed to also be a sex pest or something. Nope, nope turns out that society has deemed it a-ok to torture this one woman in perpetuity and make some money on the side by getting the public to pay to participate

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean besides exclusive streaming rights to not only the products, but sole IP rights to the two most lucrative media franchises in the history of the world, besides a deep catalog of beloved family entertainment, besides exclusive streaming rights to the longest running and arguably most important comedy every shown on tv, besides forthcoming shows set in the MCU, Star Wars universe, besides their highly acclaimed and wildly popular new series in their first ever try at it, besides all that, they got nothing. Those stupid fuckers at Disney, the absolute morons

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Aces High posted:

so I decided to check out Black Mirror, I'm through the first 2 seasons and the Christmas special

You've hit the peak of the good stuff. It's all downhill from here.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I do think there's a sort of gap in that hardcore fans of some of those properties probably already have copies of their stuff. But between the original content eventually coming and just the millions of people who probably aren't "hardcore" about Disney or Marvel or Star Wars or the Simpsons but curious and just never dove in fully or haven't seen it in a decade there's a ton of stuff there to get them through.

Yeah, Apple TV is the one that kind of confuses me, but I assume that's tied a lot to new product purchases and Music the way Amazon Prime is tied to the actual Amazon shopping stuff and other things.

Otherwise the key (and what Disney obviously did with the Hulu/ESPN deal) is to tie yourself to other streaming services so you can prop each other up.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

zoux posted:

I mean besides exclusive streaming rights to not only the products, but sole IP rights to the two most lucrative media franchises in the history of the world, besides a deep catalog of beloved family entertainment, besides exclusive streaming rights to the longest running and arguably most important comedy every shown on tv, besides forthcoming shows set in the MCU, Star Wars universe, besides their highly acclaimed and wildly popular new series in their first ever try at it, besides all that, they got nothing. Those stupid fuckers at Disney, the absolute morons

I mean, most of that stuff is going to Hulu or the vault so...

I guess I'm just saying that Disney+ isn't encouraging a lot of confidence with its tentpole products. Disney itself, like I suggested before, is more than fine enough to eat any potential damage, so it's no big deal to them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Im just giving you a hard time but D+ is going to be insanely successful

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

zoux posted:

Yeah no worries zoux. It's all arm chair commenting, I get that it's all in good faith, or it's Guy Mann.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

ashpanash posted:

You've hit the peak of the good stuff. It's all downhill from here.

well that's not encouraging, though I think I will continue just because there aren't a lot of episodes to work through. The cuckoldry isn't a regular theme is it? Because once is fine, twice is making it look like a pattern and it's not a good one, to me

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Aces High posted:

well that's not encouraging, though I think I will continue just because there aren't a lot of episodes to work through. The cuckoldry isn't a regular theme is it? Because once is fine, twice is making it look like a pattern and it's not a good one, to me

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

loving lmao

there's good episodes here and there in each season so I'd say its worth burning through, but there's definitely some misses

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

STAC Goat posted:

I feel liked Disney+ is clearly built on catering to 3 distinct audiences. 1) Hardcore MCU people, 2) Hardcore Star Wars people, and 3) People with kids. I imagine that last one will carry them through the lean times while the previous two will provide huge sparks. So like a bunch of people get all excited for Mandalorian now and a few months from now a bunch of people will be excited for a MCU show. But in the meantime they can sell it as the Disney Channel.

That's not gonna impress the critics looking for prestige shows every 2 weeks but I imagine it will be fine.

Also FOMO Millennials who dropped cash for the three years to nostalgically add Talespin and Ducktales only to never go back and watch anything but the Mandolorian in one afternoon.

I mean, most of that stuff is going to Hulu or the vault so...

I guess I'm just saying that Disney+ isn't encouraging a lot of confidence with its tentpole products. Disney itself, like I suggested before, is more than fine enough to eat any potential damage, so it's no big deal to them.

Yeah, D+ is obviously aimed at parents in the 25-40 range who want something they can plop their kids in front of without thought. The worst things on there are the MCU films and even that is Saturday Afternoon TV violence. There's no interface because no one is supposed to give a poo poo and little kids won't remember what they're watching anyways. :shrug:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
These streaming services are going to live and die by the new content they are able to make. Netflix figured that out awhile ago and has a constant feed of new original content every month. Amazon has a few super buzz worthy things that come out rarely but Prime is propped up by the shopping as someone else said. I feel like Prime Video is more of a perk for the Prime service than a serious streaming competitor. Bezos gets to win some awards for his shows without massive investment or it being a main concern.

Disney+ came out with probably the most important back catalog in all of major media and the Mandalorian was incredible but there is basically nothing new coming for months it seems. While they can get by for a few months with the whole "plop the kids in front of cartoons/marvel/star wars" at a certain point people will look at it as a expendable service. Once the Marvel shows start hitting you will likely see a big bump but they need to start getting more original content on there as well.

Apple TV+ I don't even understand what market they are even going for. I figured they would be going after a more highbrow HBO like audience but instead it seems like a lot of watered down sub-network quality programing that they spent way too much on. None of the content they have produced seems at all good or interesting. I don't believe they have any back catalog content. The price is highly concerning as well. I can completely see Apple pulling the plug on this in a year or so.

With all the other players joining in the coming months we will see a lot of these services die within a year. The players left standing will be Netflix, Disney+ and HBO+ along with Amazon still doing what they are doing. Most of the players left at the wayside will go crawling back to Netflix for their back content.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Little America is so loving good!!!!!

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Djarum posted:

Apple TV+ I don't even understand what market they are even going for. I figured they would be going after a more highbrow HBO like audience but instead it seems like a lot of watered down sub-network quality programing that they spent way too much on. None of the content they have produced seems at all good or interesting. I don't believe they have any back catalog content. The price is highly concerning as well. I can completely see Apple pulling the plug on this in a year or so.

I disagree with a lot of this, except for your last point.

I actually liked the shows they initially put out. They all seemed pretty well done or at least like they tried to put out a quality product, but I haven't heard a much more than a peep out of them since the initial batch of shows ended.

I should say, I'm not a subscriber and I pirated the things I or my wife had interest in but you'd think that 4 months in they'd still be pushing new content and trying to get people to sign up. Instead it's just nothing for the last month or so as far as advertising directed towards me.

I watch plenty of broadcast tv and don't have the same hate of commercials that some others around here seem to have so it was very noticeable when they just stopped promoting any new content. The commercials I have seen are all the same 4 shows they started with plus 1 or 2 ads for Little America. It makes me think they're already getting ready to pull the plug and that makes me even less likely to subscribe.

So yeah, I feel like as things are going right now they don't seem to be promoting content/subscriptions and might just end things rather than waste money making more stuff people like me will steal.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

going to a protest this weekend to change the date of Australia Day, but thinking I could sneak in a campaign to get Futurama on a streaming service in this god forsaken country. Obviously get the first thing done first you know, but while we’re here...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Their first 4 shows were all renewed, so they’re at least holding on for that long.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Aces High posted:

she could've given ginger boy a little more attention once she realised Bing wasn't going to come around, he seemed like he could use anything :smith:

Women aren't obligated to give men attention hth

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

zoux posted:

Nobody's suggesting otherwise. The point is that they've left a huge gap between Mando and the next big original series (I'm not really counting Clone Wars as the audience for that is limited by it being Season 7, and presumably only those that have watched all the rest will be interested). The short history of streaming suggests that keeping a constant stream of new content is key to success. D+ has kind of insured themselves against mass subscriber loss by pushing the 1 year and 3 year subscriptions so hard, but it's still not ideal.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Barry Convex posted:

has anyone watched October Faction on Netflix? it sounds like it could be enjoyable and it's based on a comic I haven't read by some acclaimed creators, but the lack of advance reviews doesn't bode well

update: got halfway through the season. it's definitely not particularly good but it's entertaining enough to keep on in the background while I'm doing something else. gets points for featuring a competently done, if not terribly original, gay storyline, gets docked for prominently featuring a Dark Crystal poster in a flashback set in 1975

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Nobody's suggesting otherwise. The point is that they've left a huge gap between Mando and the next big original series (I'm not really counting Clone Wars as the audience for that is limited by it being Season 7, and presumably only those that have watched all the rest will be interested). The short history of streaming suggests that keeping a constant stream of new content is key to success. D+ has kind of insured themselves against mass subscriber loss by pushing the 1 year and 3 year subscriptions so hard, but it's still not ideal.

yeah, it's fairly apparent that they're relying mainly on back catalog stuff to carry them through most of 2020, up until Mandalorian S2 and the first two Marvel Studios shows premiere starting this fall and the originals pipeline fully kicks into gear for 2021. It's clearly not gonna doom Disney+, the absolute worst-case scenario is that their numbers for the first 3/4 of 2020 are a bit below expectations, but it's a curious strategy nonetheless.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Calaveron posted:

I do like that one himym episode that's got a subliminal countdown though. Really builds up the anxiety

HIMYM was really good when it was good, but it shambled on long after it should have ended. It rebounded before the end but then... that finale, woof, that was an awful ending.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Disney+ and Apple TV both have the strategies right now to have a built in subscriber base for at least a year while they ramp up original programming so they aren't caught "behind". In reality, it's not much different than Netflix did even though we didn't realize it at the time.

Disney+ is in the stronger position there obviously since they have a huuuuuge back catalog (a chunk of which wasn't even easily accessible before now). Apple's counter was giving away the service to iDevice buyers for a year.

End of this year is where we will see the first cracks in either of these services.

Apple's strategy is a bit more muddled since they actually had to dilute their ecosystem and make their services available on non-apple devices in order to ensure a wide launch. Apple is in the midst of transitioning to a subscription based revenue model and their TV platform is just one piece of that. They obviously have oodles of cash to stick out a prolonged fight, but the question is will they? Apple has traditionally been a high margin company and, quite frankly, TV isn't that. I question how much original content they can actually produce at $4.99 /month and since their pivot to subscription services is to maintain revenue stream in the face of declining hardware growth, there's not much value in keeping around a loss leader like a TV production unless it can be used to sell some other service.

So, I would expect their service to morph. My bet is that it will eventually get to the point where you can't buy it standalone (or is strongly disincentivize) and they will push some sort of iCloud bundle that includes the TV as an extra perk.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MechaSeinfeld posted:

going to a protest this weekend to change the date of Australia Day, but thinking I could sneak in a campaign to get Futurama on a streaming service in this god forsaken country. Obviously get the first thing done first you know, but while we’re here...

What's wrong with the date of Australia day

I would estimate the market value of a D+ sub is closer to 20 bucks than 7, imo they're intentionally undercutting the competition to build a sub base. You know, monopoly poo poo.

Of the nascent streaming services, Apple s obviously the iffiest.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 24, 2020

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

What's wrong with the date of Australia day

I would estimate the market value of a D+ sub is closer to 20 bucks than 7, imo they're intentionally undercutting the competition to build a sub base. You know, monopoly poo poo.

Of the nascent streaming services, Apple s obviously the iffiest.

It's aka Invasion day, kinda like thanksgiving.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Weren't the invaders, uh, transported there for crimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

Weren't the invaders, uh, transported there for crimes

No, the British government and their assorted shitbirdary were the invaders, the convicts were the tools that kept the candles burning