Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

i'm sorry, now it's a rhythm game. now it's a gradius clone. driving minigame, anyone? now you're in ancient egypt and fighting a robot boss monster by grabbing the bombs it throws and tossing them into a hole on top of its head like it's a basketball hoop. now you're navigating through a legend of zelda dungeon in order to fight an angry Queen of Hearts. don't forget those stealth sections! NOW YOU'RE ON THE MOON
that sounds cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Mordja posted:

There was a shareholder meeting a while back where the Metro publishers suggested they were disappointed with PC sales (tellingly, I don't think any of their games since have been Epic-only) and I think Control also undersold. Control was also one of the top-selling games on EGS last year, according to Epic themselves.

Honestly Control running like dogshit on consoles probably had much more of an impact on sales than what PC launcher it was on.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Too Shy Guy posted:

So during the Winter Sale, Valve introduced animated chat stickers and effects, but stuck an expiration date on all of them. People rightfully pointed out that was loving stupid, and Valve removed the expirations.

Now during the Lunar Sale, Valve introduced animated profile backgrounds and mini-backgrounds, and stuck an expiration date on all of them.

:eng99:
Spend 50 bucks to get something that expires in a month! Woo!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

This and spelled are both fine

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I got press access to Cook, Serve, Delicious! 3?! Check it out with me for a bit here: https://www.twitch.tv/goldplatedgames

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Too Shy Guy posted:

I got press access to Cook, Serve, Delicious! 3?! Check it out with me for a bit here: https://www.twitch.tv/goldplatedgames

How does it compare to 2? Personally I loved 1 but could not get into 2. It had way
More confusing mechanics, I couldn’t figure out if I was even doing a story mission or some rando ring missions, too much stuff to unlock and things like that; felt a lot less user friendly and jankier than 1 for some reason

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

why is that not a recommendation

cytoc
Apr 3, 2009

Griefor posted:

Yeah, it's a fun game to play on your phone but even though the game has all the information in its in-game menus you really need to do some planning outside of the game on a bigger screen than a phone if you want to do the endgame stuff in it. I got it for my phone because I knew I liked it from the PC and it's hard to find fun games on Android. People complain about discoverability of Steam games, but Android is 10 times worse. Or there really just isn't much good stuff on there.

Back on topic:
I have a pretty neat setup right now where I'm comboing some cool stuff together to make my team instakill the enemy half the time like this:

Regalis
At the start of battle, your creatures that belong to this creature's class share their innate traits with each other. This trait does not stack.

Nether creature:
Nix Shadowjumper
When an ally dies, this creature attacks 4 random enemies.
Nether traits:
Scatter Shot - This creature's attacks deal 30% of the damage dealt to all enemies.
Charge - At the start of battle, this creature attacks 3 random enemies.
Empty slot

Unicorn Vivivier
This creature's attacks have a 50% chance to resurrect a random ally with 50% Health

Unicorn Thundercracker
This creature's attacks have a 50% chance to move a random ally to the top of the Action Queue.

Reclusive Wight
After this creature dies, it has a 50% chance to resurrect all allies with 35% health.

Apis Protector
This creature is immune to debuffs.

All this on a Chaos Mage that gives all sorts of bonuses to attacking. I gave all the non-Death creatures a Seed of Death so they're all Death creatures and all share their traits (not the nether ones) together. Synchronizing to the same class like that is a must if you're going to use Regalis' Avatar. I'm not sure that the Apis Protector is essential as continuous resurrection clears debuffs as well, but getting your turn coming up while under Scorn (can't attack) and Silence (can't cast spells) is super annoying. I had a slightly different team with Dread Wight (After this creature dies, it has a 50% chance to resurrect with 100% Health) instead of the Unicorn Thundercracker that focused a lot on never dying, but I kept getting owned by Elf Barbarians (The enemy creatures' effects that activate when they die are ignored.). Then I added the Thundercracker and gave my Nether creature Charge and now most battles end in my favor before I even get a turn. Does make it harder to extract cores. As my final Nether trait I want to get Piercing Focus (While this creature is below 80% Health, its attacks ignore the enemy Defense) but it comes from a special type of creature that's harder to find, which I didn't yet (and when I do find it my team will probably instantly kill it before I can extract it).

It's really impressive the kind of one hit combos you can build. I've spent a bit of time throwing my team at the bar brawls and whilst it wins more often than not, occasionally I run into something really well thought out like your build which completely sweeps me.

I started as a nature mage and once I got the ability to breed, bred up a team of moon hunters which got me through the story line really easily. The only change was to switch one of them out for a sphinx elder because I ran into this combo in the bar brawl. The team are currently around level 150 and I'm still progressing deeper with mobs around level 220 currently, I'm kind of waiting for this team to peter out before I dig into my resource collection to construct and breed something more effective including avatar and nether creatures.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Pyre?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Temtem, probably

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Artelier posted:

I keep going back and forth on whether I want to get Rage 2. The gunplay looks fantastic and the colours are beautiful but everything else sounds like a slog.

Gunplay gets fun once you have the guns and updates which in return makes a large portion of the game boring.
It's not a good game but it has it's moments. Don't spend more than 10 on it.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

cytoc posted:

I started as a nature mage and once I got the ability to breed, bred up a team of moon hunters which got me through the story line really easily. The only change was to switch one of them out for a sphinx elder because I ran into this combo in the bar brawl. The team are currently around level 150 and I'm still progressing deeper with mobs around level 220 currently, I'm kind of waiting for this team to peter out before I dig into my resource collection to construct and breed something more effective including avatar and nether creatures.

I can't do bar brawls with my exact team, Avatar creatures are not allowed there I do believe. If I need bar brawls for prophecies I usually just swap out Regalis for my old Dread Wight, which wrecks my combo but still wins often enough to not really matter.

I don't think your team will peter out as such, as long as you stay on (your level) + 50% you will keep doing fine as you have been. But if you get a stronger team you can talk to that dude in your castle that allows you to make things harder in exchange for more loot, like every 10% damage reduction you give the enemy gives +25% loot which is great and the first few levels of that doesn't hurt that much, and once you have a good survival mechanic you can slide up enemy damage for another smaller bonus. It's good to consider what creature to make Nether as switching to another one is somewhat expensive, but it's also good to do it soon so that you can reap the rewards for having it. When you get a good loot modifier you can start gathering the Talismans you get from the God altars in realms for 100 of their emblems, some of which (Gonfurian, Tartarith) increase your loot even more. Getting Avatar creatures is a pretty hefty resource sink but once you do, those completely break the balance in your favor.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Oh look, the LNY lovely discount coupon can be purchased twice!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

haldolium posted:

Gunplay gets fun once you have the guns and updates which in return makes a large portion of the game boring.
Seconded. Rage 2 is fun for a ten dollar game, but spend more than that and you'll be disappointed by how shallow of a game it is in practice.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Xaris posted:

How does it compare to 2? Personally I loved 1 but could not get into 2. It had way
More confusing mechanics, I couldn’t figure out if I was even doing a story mission or some rando ring missions, too much stuff to unlock and things like that; felt a lot less user friendly and jankier than 1 for some reason

So I never played CSD2, and I only have like 3 hours in CSD1 because I found it a little too stressful for how long it takes to progress. Compared to CSD1, 3 is an entirely different structure. You're running a food truck, and instead of days you have levels that are sequences of 2-4 stops. Your menu selection is different for each level (buzz and status effects are gone), and there are two types of dishes, ones that can be prepared on the way to a stop and held at a prep station, and ones that have to be made as special orders. There's a menu for each stop that tells you exactly what you're going to have to serve, so you can prep as much as you have space for before you arrive. You can't prepare everything though, so once you run out of something you have to scramble to make more of it, plus there are dishes that have to be finished when they're served. Also each prep station dish only stays good for a limited amount of time, which means you have to judge how far in advance to start cooking something.

There are truck upgrades you can get, and apparently you can be attacked on the road between stops, but I didn't see any of that yet. Chores are gone, it's just serving food, and the menu is ridiculously huge and international. You get medals based on how well you did in each level, and new levels are unlocked at certain medal quotas. Progression seems pretty steady as long as you're getting any kind of medal for a level, but I did see one optional level that required 10 golds (perfect levels) to unlock. There's a Chill mode too, that ditches all the time pressure and just expects you to get orders right, but you can't get golds in that. Also the story is absolutely bonkers, right from the opening the year is 2041, America is at war, and your restaurant from CSD2 is blown the hell up. You're the only survivor, rescued by two androids that agree to help you restart as a food truck chef.

It was hard for me to get a grip on, far harder than CSD1 was, and it's way more stressful. You have to know your menu, know prep times and portions, and practice making things. But I did manage one gold medal, and the experience of keeping my prep stations running and slamming out special orders in between was amazing. So far, CSD3 is definitely more fun for me in ways CSD1 wasn't.

(And if you want to see any of that in action, you can do that here.)

cytoc
Apr 3, 2009

Griefor posted:

I can't do bar brawls with my exact team, Avatar creatures are not allowed there I do believe. If I need bar brawls for prophecies I usually just swap out Regalis for my old Dread Wight, which wrecks my combo but still wins often enough to not really matter.

I don't think your team will peter out as such, as long as you stay on (your level) + 50% you will keep doing fine as you have been. But if you get a stronger team you can talk to that dude in your castle that allows you to make things harder in exchange for more loot, like every 10% damage reduction you give the enemy gives +25% loot which is great and the first few levels of that doesn't hurt that much, and once you have a good survival mechanic you can slide up enemy damage for another smaller bonus. It's good to consider what creature to make Nether as switching to another one is somewhat expensive, but it's also good to do it soon so that you can reap the rewards for having it. When you get a good loot modifier you can start gathering the Talismans you get from the God altars in realms for 100 of their emblems, some of which (Gonfurian, Tartarith) increase your loot even more. Getting Avatar creatures is a pretty hefty resource sink but once you do, those completely break the balance in your favor.

Thanks for the advice, that all makes perfect sense.

I've done a few itherian realms, but haven't increased the difficulty of the default realms, so that will be the next step. I still have quite a bit of room to increase my damage because my fastest two guys have an extraction macro running by default so aren't even attacking on plenty of mob packs.

How worthwhile is breeding up your creatures for the stat boosts? Is it something you really bother with for your core team, or is the boost not really with the effort into you're really min maxing the full setup with artifacts, etc?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

OhFunny posted:

https://www.rocketleague.com/news/ending-support-for-mac-and-linux/

Rocket League is axing Mac and Linux support and online play for them in March.
It's weird, Epic did say they were working on Linux support for their store and you'd think that'd be a good lead for it. Maybe they're stopping or slowing it? There's been no news. Thankfully right now both the store and RL's Windows version works with Lutris/Proton although how well I can't really say.

Plastik posted:

Steam tried to save Linux gaming, but nobody wanted a Steambox so they stopped.
Weirdly there has been work by Valve on their Linux side recently. Google worked on it recently as well too because of Chromebook support.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Too Shy Guy posted:

cook serve delicious 3 stuff

oh man, i loved CSD1 but was left cold by CSD2, but from your description they changed things up in exactly the right way to make it fresh again; thanks for the impressions

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

If you like Cook, Serve, Delicious! I might recommend the Zachtronics podcast made after the second one where Zach introduces the dev to metrics (among other things) and he loses his mind lol.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Artelier posted:

I keep going back and forth on whether I want to get Rage 2. The gunplay looks fantastic and the colours are beautiful but everything else sounds like a slog.

haldolium posted:

Cardiovorax posted:

Seconded. Rage 2 is fun for a ten dollar game, but spend more than that and you'll be disappointed by how shallow of a game it is in practice.

Which is why Rage 2 is the ideal Game Pass game. Pay 10 bucks*, play Rage 2, play some more games when you’re done with it.

*less if you haven’t started a trial period before

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Reminds me of how The Witcher 3 had more concurrent players a few weeks back than it did at release.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wierd, probably a strange statistical glitch or something.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Nah. It sounds like it was linked to the launch of the TV show by all accounts.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wow really?!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Apparently the first stages of the Age of Empires 3: Definitive Edition beta will start early next month, for like the three people in here who care. I love what they did to AoE2:DE so I'm very much looking forward to 3.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

cytoc posted:

How worthwhile is breeding up your creatures for the stat boosts? Is it something you really bother with for your core team, or is the boost not really with the effort into you're really min maxing the full setup with artifacts, etc?

It's not, really. There used to be a level cap for each creature that you could raise by breeding, but that made breeding mandatory and annoying, so it was patched out. Now all it does is change the heredity, which is a value that gives a 3% boost to a stat per point, up to a maximum of 15. But each + you get will get a corresponding - in another stat. Each creature will have an optimal setup that min-maxes their value (like maxing attack in exchange for intelligence for instance), but the 0 heredity version will perform fine. Also, as you get more +loot modifiers and more achievement points (achievement points unlock more rare loot, I don't know exactly how it works but higher is better) you will eventually start finding gene items which allow you to alter a creature's heredity without needing to breed it. I think you get a lot from prophecies (Dunno if you got those yet, they're special quests you can do that reward you each time you finish one). I only used breeding to unlock new creatures that I either couldn't find yet in the wild, or that can only be gotten that way. In that combo I posted I got the Nix Shadowjumper, Unicorn Thundercracker, Reclusive Wight and Apis Protector from breeding.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Azran posted:

Apparently the first stages of the Age of Empires 3: Definitive Edition beta will start early next month, for like the three people in here who care. I love what they did to AoE2:DE so I'm very much looking forward to 3.

As someone who once had strong opinions about AOE3 I have come to really appreciate it as a comp stomp game and wouldn't mind a version not saddled with GFWL and maybe a bit less lovely on the technical front.

Still waiting for my AOM:DE, Microsoft. :argh:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Orv posted:

As someone who once had strong opinions about AOE3 I have come to really appreciate it as a comp stomp game and wouldn't mind a version not saddled with GFWL and maybe a bit less lovely on the technical front.

Still waiting for my AOM:DE, Microsoft. :argh:

It never had GFWL on Steam. It never had it elsewhere either.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sininu posted:

It never had GFWL on Steam. It never had it elsewhere either.

Maybe i'm thinking of it being available on the GFWL store? I swear I'm not entirely crazy, though my memory is for sure going.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Orv posted:

Maybe i'm thinking of it being available on the GFWL store? I swear I'm not entirely crazy, though my memory is for sure going.

Iirc it was given away for free there!
Dunno if that counts as it having GFWL. It didn't have any integration as far as I remember.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Mierenneuker posted:

Which is why Rage 2 is the ideal Game Pass game. Pay 10 bucks*, play Rage 2, play some more games when you’re done with it.

*less if you haven’t started a trial period before

I want Game Pass but it's not available in Malaysia atm :(

And tbh if I had it the first game I'd play is Forza

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Game Pass has the big problem of being paired with the Microsoft Store, which is the worst thing that ever happened to PC gaming. It installs games into a folder that you are not allowed to access, preventing all modding. And if you have bad luck and the store fails to uninstall a game (this actually happens), your disk space is lost forever because you can't manually delete the game.

Microsoft needs to stop trying to make these stupid Windows 10 Apps happen.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Superanos posted:

Game Pass has the big problem of being paired with the Microsoft Store, which is the worst thing that ever happened to PC gaming. It installs games into a folder that you are not allowed to access, preventing all modding. And if you have bad luck and the store fails to uninstall a game (this actually happens), your disk space is lost forever because you can't manually delete the game.

Yeah for all the crap thrown at EGS I'm surprised Game Pass has been getting such a free ride.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Microsoft isn't bribing devs to make their games Windows Store exclusive. They're not even making their own games Windows Store exclusive anymore. That's why people don't hate them as much as Epic - they're just not as bad.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Crossniq held my attention way less than I thought it would

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Superanos posted:

Game Pass has the big problem of being paired with the Microsoft Store, which is the worst thing that ever happened to PC gaming. It installs games into a folder that you are not allowed to access, preventing all modding.
I do not think this is actually true any longer. It used to be, but even Microsoft stopped using that data format. At this point, you should be able to access the folders of all games that are newly released on Gamepass as per usual.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

DatonKallandor posted:

Microsoft isn't bribing devs to make their games Windows Store exclusive. They're not even making their own games Windows Store exclusive anymore. That's why people don't hate them as much as Epic - they're just not as bad.

That's not strictly true, Forza Horizon is essentially forever exclusive to the Windows Store on top of being installed to some bizarre encrypted directory that's virtually impossible to modify. This is just as bad if not worse than what Epic is doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Superanos posted:

You can access the folder (and delete stuff), it's just not very convenient since the file structure is weird and take ownership of it.

It's definitely a very dumb way to make stuff