Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

enojy posted:

I'm gonna be in the market for a Switch come March 20th -- any good deals swirling around? I'm keeping my hopes up for an Animal Crossing-themed Switch, but barring that, I'll just take whatever I can get.

Switch Lite or Switch regular? If it’s Lite you’re looking for, here’s an eBay deal for $182 mentioned in the deals thread, and someone on reddit posted a Google Shopping deal for $180.

e:

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I can't decide whether to use my last voucher on TMS or save it for Animal Crossing
TMS so that you've got something to play for the next two months, and then hope that a good deal on eShop credit pops up between now and March 20th

Chin Strap posted:

TMS is cool and I am enjoying it, but it is not a real Persona game. I want my Persona ports damnit.

TMS is a fun reminder of how much better Persona 5 would be on a handheld.

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Blotto_Otter posted:

Switch Lite or Switch regular? If it’s Lite you’re looking for, here’s an eBay deal for $182 mentioned in the deals thread, and someone on reddit posted a Google Shopping deal for $180.

e:

TMS so that you've got something to play for the next two months, and then hope that a good deal on eShop credit pops up between now and March 20th

TMS is a fun reminder of how much better Persona 5 would be on a handheld.

I've just reached Kaer Morhen so I feel like I have a lot of Witcher left probably (a third? 25%?) before taking the expansion into account, and the Fire Emblem expansion comes out Feb 13

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

and the Fire Emblem expansion comes out Feb 13

But actual Fire Emblem games have way too much Fire Emblem, TMS is only 20-proof Fire Emblem, which is the correct amount of Fire Emblem

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Blotto_Otter posted:

But actual Fire Emblem games have way too much Fire Emblem, TMS is only 20-proof Fire Emblem, which is the correct amount of Fire Emblem

But it's diluted in anime moonshine

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Evoland 1/2 is only $5.

The concept is that you're a nameless RPG character starting out in a Gameboy RPG and you explore to collect features that evolve what kind of game you are playing.

The first is short and shallow but the second is a full game.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Blotto_Otter posted:

This Fire Emblem dlc campaign I have heard does not have the calendar system and instead has a lot of battle scenarios with predetermined teams

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TMS is like 1-proof fire emblem

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

enojy posted:

Animal Crossing preorder for $53.99 at Best Buy (physical or digital) with "my Best Buy" account and $10 worth of bonus points after pick up. Don't think there's any preorder bonus for the digital version, but god help you if you're buying the physical version of an Animal Crossing game.

So it's like $45 which is about what you would get from reselling it. I'll just say god help you if you think buying first party nintendo games digitally is a good idea.

And you actually pointed out that the physical version is cheaper. So you'd rather pay more? God help you.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Why would you sell a first party Nintendo game?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

American McGay posted:

Why wouldn't I?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Andrast posted:

Why wouldn't I?

Pretty sure Nintendo comes to your house and treats you like the Smash Bros. sandbag if you do.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

gey muckle mowser posted:

I'm about ~50 hours into DQXI now and good god is this game long. I'm enjoying it still but the music is getting really repetitive and I skip through most of the dialogue just because I can read it 10x faster than the characters speak their lines.

Also are there any really good rewards from doing the Tickington quests? I did one set in a mine and the combat was so incredibly tedious that it turned me off from wanting to try any of the others.

The music being really one note and repetitive is a real downer in a JRPG, like half the appeal of all the greats for me is walking around neat environments and letting great OST's wash over me.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kirios posted:

Pretty sure Nintendo comes to your house and treats you like the Smash Bros. sandbag if you do.

:ohdear:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Andrast posted:

Why wouldn't I?
Because then you wouldn't be able to play it.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

But it's diluted in anime moonshine

Look, when you've recently realized you've got an addiction to Atlus' RPG gameplay, the Switch library doesn't give you many opportunities to be choosy about the provenance of your Atlus RPG gameplay.

This Fire Emblem dlc campaign I have heard does not have the calendar system and instead has a lot of battle scenarios with predetermined teams

But TMS does away with Fire Emblem battle systems (except for the weapon triangle), which is Good

Andrast posted:

TMS is like 1-proof fire emblem

I'm only mostly through chapter 2 of TMS so far, and I've only ever played part of a Fire Emblem game (it was Three Houses, which I played for 12 hours before realizing I'd completely had my fill, which is what usually happens when I try and pick up a tactics RPG), so I didn't know if there's any more FE stuff in the backend of TMS, or if there are extra FE references that I'm missing. The only FE element I get excited for is the nice level-up jingle.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

American McGay posted:

Because then you wouldn't be able to play it.

I sell games I have already finished

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Finished...?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Was TMS treated like a Nintendo game or an Atlas game in relation to sales on the Wii U? To clarify, does mean that within a year it will be sub 30 dollars regularly, or will it practically never be on sale?

Kirios fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 24, 2020

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

American McGay posted:

Why would you pay more for something that would immediately have no value when you could pay less for something that would keep maintain the price you paid?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think it came out when the WiiU was already dead and Switch was on the way so it didn't have any time to be discounted

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Kirios posted:

Was TMS treated like a Nintendo game or an Atlas game in relation to sales on the Wii U? To clarify, does mean that within a year it will be sub 30 dollars regularly, or was it practically never on sale?

Don't Atlus games tend to not go on sale and have low print runs?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I think at this point, I'm missing only two 1st party games that I really want and should have; Smash and BotW. I already have Odyssey and MK8D, SMM2 and NSMBUD (the latter was a gift, I don't actually play it that much).

Now it's just a matter of figuring out which one to get first.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

gey muckle mowser posted:

I'm about ~50 hours into DQXI now and good god is this game long. I'm enjoying it still but the music is getting really repetitive and I skip through most of the dialogue just because I can read it 10x faster than the characters speak their lines.

if you turn the voiceover off it's a way better game imo

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I only get digital games so I can't speak to low print runs, but Atlas games on PS4 and 3DS go on sale fairly regularly (In fact, Persona 5's on sale now on PS4).

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Waltzing Along posted:

Why would you pay more for something that would immediately have no value when you could pay less for something that would keep maintain the price you paid?
The value is not having to spend 13 seconds popping in the cartridge every time you wanted to play it. For a game like Animal Crossing that value is exponentially compounded due to the nature of the gameplay.

Look I'm an all physical guy and I'll probably get AC physical as well because it's not a big deal to me but it's not exactly hard to understand how it's a game most people would like to have digitally.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

What's wrong with not wanting a giant pile of games in your house? If I actually had physical copies of all the games I owned, my living room would be a gigantic mess, and I've already got a couple of kids to do that for me.

I can see the merits of wanting physical copies of games (Hell, I used to be this guy), but going all digital is fantastic if selling your games is something you're not interested in doing.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Digital is nice for convenience

Physical is nice for games you might want to sell later on

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Andrast posted:

Digital is nice for convenience

Physical is nice for games you might want to sell later on

Or play later on which is the main thing.

Physical is an actual archive of the game. With digital, who knows if you will still be able to play it in 10 years.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Kirios posted:

Was TMS treated like a Nintendo game or an Atlas game in relation to sales on the Wii U? To clarify, does mean that within a year it will be sub 30 dollars regularly, or will it practically never be on sale?

Like a Nintendo game, since it's Nintendo-published and financed, and contains (or is entirely?) Nintendo IP. You can still get it for the low price of $60 on the Wii U eShop!

Kirios posted:

I only get digital games so I can't speak to low print runs, but Atlas games on PS4 and 3DS go on sale fairly regularly (In fact, Persona 5's on sale now on PS4).

Key difference is all those other games are published by Atlus/Sega, not Nintendo. Anything's possible, but I wouldn't bank on TMS going on sale as often or deeply as other Atlus games.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Physical is an actual archive of the game. With digital, who knows if you will still be able to play it in 10 years.

I don't really care about that since I don't really ever want to go back to play old games on the original hardware

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

lmao at the thought of being "finished" with Animal Crossing

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Tempura Wizard posted:

In a good "I want to know more about this character and willingly approach them" type of way? Or in a bad "good lord I just wanted to put a tomato in the shipping box and now I have to mash A through the third unskippable event of the day" type of way?

Good. It's more that if you talk to npcs once a day it takes way longer for them to loop than in other games and they have a lot of reactive or conditional dialogue that unlocks as you progress.

Like for example characters will have dialogue that only comes up if you talk to them while they're on the same screen as two other characters after year 2 during summer after 5pm. That kind of poo poo. So you'll run into new stuff way into the game.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
I'm someone who buys physical whenever they can* and even I'm getting Animal Crossing digital so that I don't have to bother with the card.

*that exception being Animal Crossing because I'm going to play it a little bit every day for probably literal years along with other things that use cards.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Waltzing Along posted:

Filez always takes care of that worry.

Takoluka posted:

lmao at the thought of being "finished" with Animal Crossing

I’m only finished when the next one in the series comes out. I still play in my almost 7 year old New Leaf town. I’m so excited and ready for New Horizons.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

I've been mostly* physical on Switch because I was one of the lucky SOBs who bought Best Buy's 20% discount membership thing about a week before they killed the program, and I'm probably going to go mostly** digital when that runs out in March, starting with Animal Crossing

*exceptions for Smash since I frequently play for short sessions, and Mario Kart so I've always got a family-friendly multiplayer game on hand

**exceptions for games that I'm on the fence about, so that I can resell them once I've had my fill

Punkreas
May 13, 2013

*chews on head*
Lipstick Apathy

The Splash posted:

Please tell me it has couch co-op because this looks great :3:

It absolutely has couch co-op, and it's great.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

The Splash posted:

Please tell me it has couch co-op because this looks great :3:

It 100% does. And seconding the OST, I'm not a dude who gives a poo poo about video game soundtracks and this one is great. "The Hunt" kicking in while beating up mall cheerleaders had me doing the listening equivalent of a double take, the music in general like actually good synthwave crossed with Lita Ford, which is rad as hell considering the aesthetics.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Sega Ages Fantasy Zone is pretty great. Upa Upa mode is a lot of fun and has some remixed music. I haven't gotten to play too much of it yet but I have one of those 8bitdo arcade sticks and playing it with one of those is great.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Waltzing Along posted:

So it's like $45 which is about what you would get from reselling it. I'll just say god help you if you think buying first party nintendo games digitally is a good idea.

And you actually pointed out that the physical version is cheaper. So you'd rather pay more? God help you.

Just a light joke about Animal Crossing dominating your lone cartridge slot that you're taking way too seriously. I'm a fan of physical (especially for Nintendo games) but not when it comes to Animal Crossing!

Also, physical and digital are the same price. Dunno where you're getting that "physical version is cheaper" from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Splash
May 30, 2011

I'll never say hole again.

I've been mostly buying digital games for the Switch because it's way more convenient, more games are available digitally, and the fun of owning a physical copy of a game hasn't been a thing for me since the Wii.
That said, I understand wanting to stick with physical games. I've been permanently locked out of many games I purchased digitally on the PS4 and thinking about it still pisses me off (they're fully downloaded with save data, I've stopped buying any more PS games). But I've had no issues with Nintendo and I've got little living space to play with while also being a hoarder who doesn't resell games. :shrug:

Bolt Lux posted:

It absolutely has couch co-op, and it's great.
:hellyeah: Thanks! Another one on the must-get list.