Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MZ posted:

That's not strictly true, Forza Horizon is essentially forever exclusive to the Windows Store on top of being installed to some bizarre encrypted directory that's virtually impossible to modify. This is just as bad if not worse than what Epic is doing.

but it's a microsoft first party game

Valve games are exclusive to steam as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I'm wondering exactly how long until Valve decides to sell profile cosmetics directly instead of having them tied to these events.

$50 for a super special profile theme? Someone would pay for it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Do people actually visit other people's profile pages?

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

I do not think this is actually true any longer. It used to be, but even Microsoft stopped using that data format. At this point, you should be able to access the folders of all games that are newly released on Gamepass as per usual.

No, all Game Pass games I have installed are inside that WindowsApps folder that you can't access. It's possible to "take ownership" of WindowsApps to browse the files but they're still unmodifiable.

What Microsoft did was allow Win32 programs to be packaged as UWP apps so that the modding limitations still exist.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Honestly it doesn't seem that weird if they're putting some kind of protection on games you're basically renting

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kennel posted:

Do people actually visit other people's profile pages?

I'll go to some of my friend's on their birthday or during sales so I can take a look at their wishlist, but that's about it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My big issue with Gamepass is that buying DLC at full price for a rental game just seems weird

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

baka kaba posted:

Honestly it doesn't seem that weird if they're putting some kind of protection on games you're basically renting
they do this on anything you get from the Microsoft Store, I believe, including stuff you've outright bought

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

There's a Commandos 2 HD Remaster out.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Superanos posted:

No, all Game Pass games I have installed are inside that WindowsApps folder that you can't access. It's possible to "take ownership" of WindowsApps to browse the files but they're still unmodifiable.

What Microsoft did was allow Win32 programs to be packaged as UWP apps so that the modding limitations still exist.
Huh, someone in the Epic Store thread said that Microsoft stopped doing that and that they can access their folder structure just fine. Maybe I misunderstood something.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zereth posted:

they do this on anything you get from the Microsoft Store, I believe, including stuff you've outright bought

Fortunately nobody will ever buy anything from their store lmao

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

MZ posted:

Yeah for all the crap thrown at EGS I'm surprised Game Pass has been getting such a free ride.

For some reason people LOVE Xbox Gamepass and are similarly cold on things like Ubisoft's gamepass which I don't think I've ever seen anybody mention.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Huh, someone in the Epic Store thread said that Microsoft stopped doing that and that they can access their folder structure just fine. Maybe I misunderstood something.

It's still locked down by default but there are things you can do to fix that. They're involved and extremely annoying though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

For some reason people LOVE Xbox Gamepass and are similarly cold on things like Ubisoft's gamepass which I don't think I've ever seen anybody mention.

Ubisoft would need to start making games I want to play for me to care about it

Orv
May 4, 2011

Game Pass has had a ton of recent and even new games that have made the sub worth the money, even as someone who likes Ubisoft stuff I'm not out there playing every game they make and I'd rather just buy them. A single publisher sub is a way harder ask I think in terms of value.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s because the second one is just Ubisoft games op

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Zereth posted:

oh lol, well I guess that sucks, but who *is* buying non-MS games on there? Do they even have big sales?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Orv posted:

It's still locked down by default but there are things you can do to fix that. They're involved and extremely annoying though.
Duly noted. I guess I'll read up on just how involved and annoying they are before I decide on whether I want to subscribe to the service.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

With Metro Exodus on the Microsoft Store I wanted to delete the intro movies, but even when I got access to the folder I still didn't have the proper rights to delete the files. Finding an ini to edit was another labyrinth.

Fallom posted:

It’s because the second one is just Ubisoft games op

Yeah, and the uPlay service is going to stay underwhelming unless you want to play a brand new game of theirs. Compare this to Origin Access which also offers as Basic tier for a third of the price, with double the catalogue (not all of them EA games).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 24, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ah yes, those sick nasty (Bad!) gamers slurping up Microsoft's game pass because it's literally $1 to play 100 semi-new to brand-new games that are still $10-$50 to buy, instead of being a real high testo-man paying $15/month real earth buckos subbing to Ubisoft's game pass which has amazing games such as ghost recon warfighter and uh, farcry 5. no good!

loving rubes don't know what they're missing!!!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Xaris posted:

ah yes, those sick nasty (Bad!) gamers slurping up Microsoft's game pass because it's literally $1 to play 10 dozen semi-new to brand new games that are still $10-$50 to buy, instead of being a real man and paying $15/month real earth buckos subbing to Ubisoft's game pass which has amazing games such as ghost recon warfighter and uh, farcry 5. no good!

loving rubes don't know what they're missing!!!

Even as someone who thinks the attitude towards Ubisoft around here is pretty dumb sometimes I don't think that's what SSB was going for.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Andrast posted:

but it's a microsoft first party game

Valve games are exclusive to steam as well
Microsoft paid for third party exclusives for years though now it seems like they are just buying up the studios.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Orv posted:

Even as someone who thinks the attitude towards Ubisoft around here is pretty dumb sometimes I don't think that's what SSB was going for.
i like ubisoft games just fine (usually played over many several months like anno & asscreed odyssey im stil working through a year later), but it's a horrible price and not mentioned ever because it's a bandwagon joke service whereas one is an incredible steal despite it's infrastructural problems. But yes probably not, i'm just being irritable this morning

Orv
May 4, 2011
No argument, honestly. Like I said, if you're offering up only your catalog as The Subscription Wars begin you better be diversified.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I was quite enjoying Age of Wonders: Planetfall through XBOX Game Pass, and was already several missions in. Then the game crashed and wouldn't run anymore, even after a reinstall. Well, it runs, but crashes after the first loading screen before getting to the main menu even. Not cool. :saddowns:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Cardiovorax posted:

Duly noted. I guess I'll read up on just how involved and annoying they are before I decide on whether I want to subscribe to the service.

Pretty much all you need is Visual Studio Community for makeappx.exe and signtool.exe, and to edit the permissions in the app folder under your user account to let you read the packages you want to change. You then enable sideloading in Settings, and you should be good to go. Read up on how that stuff works. You have to be a bit familiar with PowerShell and code signing, and you’ll probably have to edit some manifest files.

Note that this won’t work with all games, but the developer has to specifically check for modifications, which they would do for any other GamePass-like service if they were doing it. Smaller publishers don’t usually give a poo poo unless cheating is a concern.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Double Punctuation posted:

Pretty much all you need is Visual Studio Community for makeappx.exe and signtool.exe, and to edit the permissions in the app folder under your user account to let you read the packages you want to change. You then enable sideloading in Settings, and you should be good to go. Read up on how that stuff works. You have to be a bit familiar with PowerShell and code signing, and you’ll probably have to edit some manifest files.
Thank you, that doesn't sound so bad. I'm familiar with manually editing user and folder permissions in Windows 10 and I've used Visual Studio for development. I'll look it up, but if that's all there is to it, I think I'll be able to manage.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Rise of Legends: DE when?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Brutakas posted:

Rise of Legends: DE when?

Just make Rise of Legends 2 and for a change of pace make it a good game.

I love RoL but quality it ain't.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I lied about not liking Ubisoft games, Mario xcom was pretty sweet

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Xaris posted:

i like ubisoft games just fine (usually played over many several months like anno & asscreed odyssey im stil working through a year later), but it's a horrible price and not mentioned ever because it's a bandwagon joke service whereas one is an incredible steal despite it's infrastructural problems. But yes probably not, i'm just being irritable this morning

You're right, for sure. My actual point was BRING BACK GAMEFLY

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

e: wrong thread

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Andrast posted:

I lied about not liking Ubisoft games, Mario xcom was pretty sweet
it was surprisingly better than i thought, though a little shallow but that's ok. the overworld portion was real bad and underutilized

ubisoft games are best played in short-ish spurts with long delays between them and then picking up and playing a bit more, rinse repeat. i would have to be institutionalized if i tried to play every asscreed back to back (or even just 2 out of 9), or the far crys

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Watch_Dogs 2 is really good.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Orv posted:

Just make Rise of Legends 2 and for a change of pace make it a good game.

I love RoL but quality it ain't.

I guess I agree. I appreciate RoL most for taking the quality of life stuff from RoN and adding in the flair of asymmetrical races.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Which should I buy: Void Bastards or Children of Morta?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Children of Morta would be my definite pick. Some people have disagreed, but I found Void Bastards really shallow and samey once you get past the aesthetic. Children of Morta is a really solid ARPG with a neat family mechanic. It stands very well on its own.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Based on what I've heard in the thread: Children of Morta

Base on my personal experience: Hades

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Gamepass isn't $1 anymore, at least mine isn't. I got charged $5 the other day. Originally got it for Outer Worlds but have just let it ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Nordick posted:

I was quite enjoying Age of Wonders: Planetfall through XBOX Game Pass, and was already several missions in. Then the game crashed and wouldn't run anymore, even after a reinstall. Well, it runs, but crashes after the first loading screen before getting to the main menu even. Not cool. :saddowns:
I have the same issue with Prey, was excited to see it on game pass only to see it crash all the time. Glad I only spent $1.