Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Legends of Runeterra is the new digital Collectible Card Game (CCG) from Riot Games, makers of League of Legends. This post is basically a placeholder until the community can fill it up with suggested videos, pointers to meta discussions, and other places of interest on the internet. It especially needs a real thread title :v:

In the meantime here are some links that I found to be helpful:

https://playruneterra.com/en-us/ Main page
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TezYh0Hg0D0 Great guide to how to play the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_xeAB2gepo&t=1s Best way to get cards (note, importing a deck through a code doesn't seem to work at the moment, you'll need to build the decks from scratch).
https://mobalytics.gg/blog/hearthstone-players-guide-legends-of-runeterra/ Says Hearthstone guide but really it's good for anyone who is familiar with digital CCG's.
https://www.pcgamer.com/Legends-of-runeterra-coins-microtransactions-economy/ Guide to the Runeterra economy, highly recommended before you start spending.
Reddit FAQ thread with links https://www.reddit.com/r/LegendsOfRuneterra/comments/eswp7k/open_beta_resources_and_useful_links_click_here/
Decks https://decksofruneterra.com/
Swim's budget decks [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QknT5vfp5s&feature=youtu.be=]

Streamers Megamogwai, swim, Hyped

Runeterra on the other hand will have a large number of at least potential players and the commitment of Riot Games. Brian Kibler (the famous MtG/Hearthstone player and streamer) said on stream that he had friends who have been working on this game for 10 years.

What I really like about the game is that the game is fast. I love the lack of summoning sickness and the fact that you can cast minions nearly anytime throughout play. That is so cool. I also like the MtG like spell play, that's so much more dynamic than HS, noting that not all spells (burst) can be responded to. I think (but this could simply be lack of familiarity) the is way more thinky than HS, but probably not as deep as MtG.

The graphics are nice, the animations are fine, the voicing is poor (imo of course).

Please suggest added content to this as the beta goes on, I'm totally open to considering more for the OP.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Reserved.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I won a type 1 tournament in 1994.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Sure why not ground floor let's go.

I spent most of my misspent youth on Yu-Gi-Oh so I never actually got hardcore into magic. I tried Hearthstone for a while but I felt like any time I tried to get 'good' at that game what was good changed (also they never gave my boy Paladin the time of day except for the ~20 seconds when Quartermuster was viable).

I actually think the voice-work sounds fine given its contemporaries, and there's not only a lot of it, but a lot of budget in this game, period. It's not hard to see a lot of work went into it.

I've mostly just been tooling around with the prebuilt Demacia/Freijord deck while trying to get a feel for the game. Had some really good matches (managing to force a surrender vs someone who had me at a 2 health Nexus with a nasty Shadow Isles/Noxus deck with a combo of Level 2 Tyrndamere + They Who Endure + For Demacia! that I'd been holding onto until the very end) and really BAD matches (someone abusing Ashe's level-up effect to basically steamroll past blockers and really screw me)

I might start playing ranked once more guides start getting put together about how the various factions synergize. I might try and scan through the cards later today to try and form a quick post for what each faction looks like at a glance.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Got into the prerelease yesterday. Game seems interesting. I really like the symmetrical effects of the game state, though I'm still getting caught up in some of the finer points of play.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 24, 2020

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

i have been playing since way back, and i love this game but it needs to make expeditions not limited. what the heck riot. my favourite deck is frostbite teemo, very strong and fun to play. looking forward to making it again now that they wiped all my poo poo and i have to start from the beginning

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

If anyone has any good expedition guides/vids, please post.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

And now the grind begins to rebuild my Teemo deck :(

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I enjoy the asymmetricality of the turns.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
This game looks like it's going to be one I really enjoy streamers playing. There's so much love and detail that's been put into the game, especially when the cards interact with each other. I dunno if a competitive scene will develop considering Riot's focus will probably be on LOL but it is definitely something I'm watching with great interest.

T-Hex is adorable btw.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Syrinxx posted:

And now the grind begins to rebuild my Teemo deck :(

Same but for my undead (I don't know what they're actually called) deck based around the immortal guys that get stronger everytime they die.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Going through the tutorial now, the sequencing of the rounds is fascinating. Its like a more structured form of MTG priority!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Does anyone know if the expedition free token is handed out for free each week or if it's just a one time tutorial reward?

On chat expedition, I treated drafting similar to hearthstone arena, go for a good curve into a strong mid-game, first draft I lost 4 wins in after trying to make some rebirth focused deck with kalista and tryndamere, only to find out that kalista's bond isn't remembered through rebirth, sorta a bad synergy there. got hardcountered by a freeze synergy deck with the shaman that auto-freezes your strongest unit every turn crippling me.

Second draft was 7 wins and went hard into Challengers/buffs/barriers with a Shen and the run was smooth as butter, never got Fiora's win condition to activate but every opponent blew a lot of cards killing their own minions or preventing Fiora from getting kills so it worked out.
Radiant Guardian and Redoubled Valor both managed to turn games from losses into victories and were real MVP's, one for the lifesteal the other for bringing a near-dead unit back into the game with double stats.

If you want a good expedition draft I'd recommend grabbing buffs or anything that can ruin someones plan, being able to trick someone into a bad trade by suddenly changing stats around or having a big boy deter attacks is so huge in this game it seems.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Was flipping through the artwork and card descriptions and came across this, Noxus is surprisingly progressive.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Noxus' whole gimmick these days is "sure they're an expansionist imperialist military-centric empire but they're very progressive and meritocratic despite doing so and the literal Evil Tyrant is actually a marked improvement on the last Evil Tyrant", so this doesn't surprise me that much in the grand scheme.

Always glad to see more normalization tho.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
noxus are trad libs

edit: more seriously 1) the art is so great 2) good job for them, that is good stuff

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 24, 2020

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Just added Reddit FAQ thread to OP.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Started my first draft in this game and got some real value out of my Mentors and Conspirators.

Gotta say, this definitely feels a lot more engaging than most digital card games and it's nice and snappy

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Was flipping through the artwork and card descriptions and came across this, Noxus is surprisingly progressive.

Also an actual decent VA program it looks like

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

yes, i did calculate that i would have exact lethal if the wolf ate the rabbit for the final attack so that i could ensure that the game ends with the wolf eating the rabbit. if you miss the stylish lethal you might as well go back to mario party

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
The lil eye tells you whats gonna happen for anyone that doesn't know.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Man. Anivia seems like a stupid good card in expeditions. I got to 7 wins in my first expedition almost entirely based on her, and then lost my second expedition to being put against her.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It definitely doesn't reinvent the wheel but the various tweaks to the CCG formula are interesting, and it seems to combine a bit of the best features of several CCGs.

I like that the new wrinkles they've added make you think a bit differently. "If I play this follower now the other guy will get a chance to play something. Maybe I should attack now and not give him the chance?" I like the visualization of the stack.

I've played a lot of Eternal, because I think Magic translated faithfully makes a poor digital game, but Hearthstone's deckbuilding restrictions and monkeycheese turned me off.
This game, like Eternal, is more a midpoint between Magic and Hearthstone, but from a different angle. I like the use of lanes and the Hearthstone mana system.

Don't like:
- PC version feels and performs very much like a mobile game
- The deck building and collection UI could use some major reworking
- If you or your opponent turn off autopass, there are a LOT of opportunities for deliberate slow play trolling. An rear end in a top hat could run out the timer after every single time you do a single thing. IMHO they shouldn't give you an option to turn it off. I realize that limits your opportunity to bluff but so be it.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 24, 2020

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
i tried to buy the starter pack but my store is based off of the turkish lira for some reason and i can't change it

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I love the expedition mode. I've just been chaining 7 win runs together and it appears that you get rewards based on the max wins between the two runs?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

General Morden posted:

i tried to buy the starter pack but my store is based off of the turkish lira for some reason and i can't change it
Disconnect your bit torrent vpn

Irving.jpg
Feb 5, 2007

Rhythm and blues.
Anyone access the shop in EU?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
What the hell is a bit torrent VPN!

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
I have a goon friend that works for riot so I promised them I would try this game, after dunking on them for years with jokes about league

It's good, friend is real proud of it

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I love the expedition mode. I've just been chaining 7 win runs together and it appears that you get rewards based on the max wins between the two runs?

yeah the "max wins between the two runs" is actually such an amazing and clever flip on the arena format, as well as the requiring two losses to drop out, it makes it a lot less spartan but very fun to play and encourages more creativity or ambition in decks. good stuff, very fun.

General Morden posted:

time to exchange some currency my friend. i am not an expert in forex trading so probably only use this for legends of runeterra

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I really like their implementation of the stack and this has been pretty fun so far. Right now I'm having fun with Chronicler of Ruin/The Undying. It creates a new copy of The Undying and then the dead copy still revives at the start of the next round.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
is there a general guideline for how long it will take to get access? I downloaded the client and registered a riot games account and they sent me an email saying "we will email you when your account is ready!"

edit: its instant, for whatever reason my account didn't complete its registration last time? weird.

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 25, 2020

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Glad everyone is enjoying it. Please submit links and vids so I can make the OP better. And I still need a real thread title :)

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I played in both closed beta for this game and felt it was fun but not amazing.

I was looking forward to being able to play again, but my own my lack of enthusiasm surprised me when I realized I had to do all the tutorials again to unlock the shards/pass to do expedition, and kind of just shut the game off. Why is there not an option to skip this and just get the rewards?

I'm an arena/draft player only and I will say the expeditions were neat in this.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Does anyone know if the expedition free token is handed out for free each week or if it's just a one time tutorial reward?

Tutorial reward and apparently one of you level up your weekly chest enough

My only annoyance is the way some triggers are handled differently and it's not explained

Anivias on attack trigger (and Vlad's) go on the stack and can be responded to, purely buffing or summoning ones cannot (like the +1/1 and fearsome buff I couldn't respond to with a kill spell before someone else got buffed)

Tripped me up after responding to an anivia then getting blown out by the latter

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Where do you choose which region you want to focus on? Does that unlock after the prologue?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Take it mobile isn't in the beta? Pre-registered but nothing else happened.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Zotix posted:

Where do you choose which region you want to focus on? Does that unlock after the prologue?

You pretty much unlock a more or less equal amount of cards and champions from each region by the end of it. Then it's just building a deck you like ala any other CCG. You would only "focus" on a specific region by spending your wildcards on those cards.

Edit: I'm a liar. You have an "Active Region" you can change at any time to level up for its rewards.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 25, 2020

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
No Singed, disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lexxyth
Jan 21, 2015

Zotix posted:

Rewards menu after you complete the prologue track. You can switch them at any point afterwards.