Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
I have a 20% discount on a cartridge of witcher 3. Will I miss out on whatever massive upgrade is coming out this month or will it create a separate section on the switch memory?
Also, more broadly, does having the game and the patches in two separate places affect performances?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Splash posted:

I've been mostly buying digital games for the Switch because it's way more convenient, more games are available digitally, and the fun of owning a physical copy of a game hasn't been a thing for me since the Wii.
That said, I understand wanting to stick with physical games. I've been permanently locked out of many games I purchased digitally on the PS4 and thinking about it still pisses me off (they're fully downloaded with save data, I've stopped buying any more PS games). But I've had no issues with Nintendo and I've got little living space to play with while also being a hoarder who doesn't resell games. :shrug:

:hellyeah: Thanks! Another one on the must-get list.

My greatest hope regarding Nintendo going forward is that the next system is both backwards compatible with Switch games, and that the eshop is essentially kept the same, so purchases are still there, downloadable and playable in, say, 10+ years.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sega 32X posted:

It 100% does. And seconding the OST, I'm not a dude who gives a poo poo about video game soundtracks and this one is great. "The Hunt" kicking in while beating up mall cheerleaders had me doing the listening equivalent of a double take, the music in general like actually good synthwave crossed with Lita Ford, which is rad as hell considering the aesthetics.

Seconding this. I generally don’t notice soundtracks unless they are exceptionally good or exceptionally bad and this one is exceptionally good.

I was kicking rear end in the streets and just finished a round of enemies off and just as I started walking to the next part the music kicked down to just these low rumbly synths with no drums and it was amazing. It was just lucky timing but it was a great audio experience cued perfectly.

When I got this game I was just hoping for some punchy engaging fighting to, as I mentioned, fill a streets of rage shaped hole in my heart. Never did I imagine this game would succeed in both gameplay and music. I love it.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 24, 2020

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Bulgakov posted:

yah its more the general clunkiness

but trying out this alternative option :worship:

e: wait on switch maybe is it just mainly swapping the b and a button? :thunk:

can't tell if movement changes really

I think what others said about making him more responsive is what this does, but I honestly didn't really notice much when I changed it over. It still kinda sucks but I've mostly gotten used to it. The only thing that really trips me up consistently is how long or unresponsive Geralt takes/is when drawing his sword, especially when he's switching from steel to silver or the other way around. I've taken a ton of hits when I suddenly find myself in the midst of a group of monsters with my steel sword drawn and I have to switch.

Also I've not had a crash yet I don't think, although I did have to reload a save and lose some progress because I talked to someone while I was on Roach and then after that I couldn't do anything but move around on Roach. I couldn't get off of Roach, gallop/sprint, draw a sword or crossbow or access the map/quest/character menus. I could only access the options menu where I was able to reload my last save.

Lodin posted:

Anyhow, I'm posting because I just got an email from Double Damage and if everything works out Rebel Galaxy Outlaw will hopefully launch sometime in March. The game is basically done and now it's really all up to Nintendo and Sony, but it doesn't seem like either one can hamper the others launch date.
If it does run as well as in the video from December I'm deffo picking it up again. I just hope they include some form of ship painting even if it's limited. It's my favourite game from last year and easily the best easy going Space game since Freelancer despite some pretty bad level scaling. And I'm not counting Elite Dangerous since that's way more of a sim.

What's the gist of this? I think I've heard of it but I don't know much about it, and I've always wanted to play a chill space game where I can get my own ship fly around space doing jobs in my ship. I can't really watch an hour of gameplay footage at work right now :(

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I didn't see answers to these questions about River City Girls so here goes:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

One question for those who have played it. The moves you unlock in the dojo, they don’t show you how to use them when you buy them. Are these unlocks just unlocking the ability to get that move when you level up? I noticed the level up move sets that you gain come with a button explanation.

If you pause the game there's a move list somewhere in one of the menu screens.

The Splash posted:

Please tell me it has couch co-op because this looks great :3:

This game has couch co-op.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

KRZ is yet to release, but already got a patch.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I'm mostly hyped about:
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw
BotW2
Metroid Prime 4
any Pikmin game

I'm also looking forward to:
Animal Crossing
No More Heroes 3

Any other hype trains I should be joining?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

whaley posted:

does anyone who likes shin megami tensei games not like tokyo mirage sessions?

Two pages late but yep, I love SMT. Tokyo mirage sessions looks...embarrassing to play

I can't speak for the gameplay but the artstyle is really not my cup of tea so it's a hard pass.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

No. 6 posted:

I'm mostly hyped about :
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw
BotW2
Metroid Prime 4
any Pikmin game

Animal Crossing
No More Heroes 3

DEADLY PREMONITION 2! I still can’t believe it’s real and exclusive to the best console.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

No. 6 posted:

I'm mostly hyped about :
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw
BotW2
Metroid Prime 4
any Pikmin game

Animal Crossing
No More Heroes 3

I'm medium hyped about La-Mulana

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Honestly I just want the Watcher patch for Slay the Spire.

Oh and Xenoblade Chronicles Remastered. I need it to be Reyn Time again.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Hyped as hell for Rebel Galaxy.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I will actually try and finish Xenoblade with the remake, cause god the original looks like rear end

Weedle
May 31, 2006

KingSlime posted:

Two pages late but yep, I love SMT. Tokyo mirage sessions looks...embarrassing to play

I can't speak for the gameplay but the artstyle is really not my cup of tea so it's a hard pass.

I also like SMT and I even like TMS' art style. I wish there were more flashy RPGs with settings based on contemporary pop culture. I just don't need one based on an industry known for rampant sexual exploitation. It might be more tolerable if you actually played as an idol instead of Anime White Shirt Guy #4267.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Splash posted:

Please tell me it has couch co-op because this looks great :3:

It's got better than couch co-op. It's got airplane co-op.

I'm very glad I picked up a headphone splitter before our 11-hour flight, because the music is indeed delightful.

I'd almost feel bad for the people trying to sleep on the plane around us due to all the giggling and occasional shouting, but also half of them kept leaning on me in their sleep and making it real awkward to pull off some of those button combos.

Which I now know to look up in the pause menu.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
I'm sitting here with BotW master mode, Hyperlight Drifter, Children of Morta, Baba is You, and some others on my dashboard... yet all I want to do is play on the SNES games channel instead.

Kirby's Dream Course was so hard as a dumb child. As an adult with a rewind button, it is stupidly fun to try and get holes in one on every map.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nothing wrong with that. I completely ceased all other games until I beat SMW for the like 80th time when the SNES app came out.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Nothing wrong with that. I completely ceased all other games until I beat SMW for the like 80th time when the SNES app came out.

I think it's about time for 81!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

In a couple weeks, I'm going to be basically home alone for about 10 days straight (well, after the kids go to bed), and I'm definitely going to be getting some snacks and staying up unreasonably late playing SNES games (docked) with the sound on :toot:

I could do all of that around my wife as well, but whatever.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tae posted:

I will actually try and finish Xenoblade with the remake, cause god the original looks like rear end

Same. The remake looks like a big jump.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I will finish Xenoblade if they put in a mode to just do the confusing combat for me like they eventually did in Xenoblade 2

Weedle
May 31, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I will finish Xenoblade if they put in a mode to just do the confusing combat for me like they eventually did in Xenoblade 2

Wait when did this happen?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

After being disappointed by the Nonogram Prophecy game, I ended up grabbing Minesweeper Genius, and after playing about fifteen minutes of it I want to recommend it.

Minesweeper Genius is basically Minesweeper + Picross (the game says there's also elements of Sudoku, but I don't really see it).

The idea is to find the path to the goal and move your character there. The lightbulbs show how many mines there are in each line/column, and you have three attempts per puzzle (with the game helpfully showing an exposed mine if you die).

The game's description brags about it not requiring any luck and being able to be solved with pure logic, and in my limited playtime so far it seems to be true. You can plant flags where you think the mines are, and it'll tell you outright how many mines are in the puzzle.

You can't go back to a square you've been to, and there are special squares that do things (green arrows move the squares in that line/column one space in that direction, yellow arrows make you leap over a square, and so on). It looks like you'll cross over every non-mine square to get to the goal.

What's really cool is if you wipe or decide you want to go for a no-death run, the "puzzle" for each stage of the campaign will be different, so if I refreshed the puzzle for this stage it'll be different than the one I just showed you. It's a really nice touch where you can't just cheese each puzzle by playing through it twice, but you can still earn that no-death victory if you mess up the first time.

Other than the Campaign and a sparse Settings menu, the game's description boasts unlimited levels, which is where the Custom Level comes in. There's not a lot to it, but you can set the width and height and what special blocks you want, and you'll get an appropriate puzzle.

And there's the puzzle I just created!

It took me several minutes to figure out, but I made it with no deaths and enjoyed it overall. This game's idea of infinite replayability may not appeal to everyone since it's a basic randomizer, but it's nice to have the option.

I don't know how long the campaign itself is, though after two worlds of ten levels each (the first being a tutorial), I already see a branching path, so there's probably a good bit (and again, the actual levels seem to be randomized, so you could do the campaign again and get different levels). And this is all only $6 and to me seems very much worth it considering the thought the devs put into this (though I got it for half-off the night before, so if you're really cheap you can probably wait for a sale), so if this sounds at all interesting to you I highly recommend giving it a shot.

That's a lot of words for a simple indie Minesweeper/Picross combo game, but I'd love to see more posts on hidden and overlooked indies in this thread, and what better way than to be the change you want to see?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Weedle posted:

Wait when did this happen?

June after it came out, it was part of the dlc pass though. Everybody got easy mode but if you had the dlc you got a whole slew of enemy difficulty and hero combat sliders to make things as easy or hard as you want. In addition you could press a button for auto combat.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

June after it came out, it was part of the dlc pass though. Everybody got easy mode but if you had the dlc you got a whole slew of enemy difficulty and hero combat sliders to make things as easy or hard as you want. In addition you could press a button for auto combat.

I don't know if that's better or worse than BotW making the Hero's Path a DLC thing. loving paid QoL upgrades, I s2g

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Mega64 posted:

After being disappointed by the Nonogram Prophecy game, I ended up grabbing Minesweeper Genius, and after playing about fifteen minutes of it I want to recommend it.

Minesweeper Genius is basically Minesweeper + Picross (the game says there's also elements of Sudoku, but I don't really see it).

The idea is to find the path to the goal and move your character there. The lightbulbs show how many mines there are in each line/column, and you have three attempts per puzzle (with the game helpfully showing an exposed mine if you die).

The game's description brags about it not requiring any luck and being able to be solved with pure logic, and in my limited playtime so far it seems to be true. You can plant flags where you think the mines are, and it'll tell you outright how many mines are in the puzzle.

You can't go back to a square you've been to, and there are special squares that do things (green arrows move the squares in that line/column one space in that direction, yellow arrows make you leap over a square, and so on). It looks like you'll cross over every non-mine square to get to the goal.

What's really cool is if you wipe or decide you want to go for a no-death run, the "puzzle" for each stage of the campaign will be different, so if I refreshed the puzzle for this stage it'll be different than the one I just showed you. It's a really nice touch where you can't just cheese each puzzle by playing through it twice, but you can still earn that no-death victory if you mess up the first time.

Other than the Campaign and a sparse Settings menu, the game's description boasts unlimited levels, which is where the Custom Level comes in. There's not a lot to it, but you can set the width and height and what special blocks you want, and you'll get an appropriate puzzle.

And there's the puzzle I just created!

It took me several minutes to figure out, but I made it with no deaths and enjoyed it overall. This game's idea of infinite replayability may not appeal to everyone since it's a basic randomizer, but it's nice to have the option.

I don't know how long the campaign itself is, though after two worlds of ten levels each (the first being a tutorial), I already see a branching path, so there's probably a good bit (and again, the actual levels seem to be randomized, so you could do the campaign again and get different levels). And this is all only $6 and to me seems very much worth it considering the thought the devs put into this (though I got it for half-off the night before, so if you're really cheap you can probably wait for a sale), so if this sounds at all interesting to you I highly recommend giving it a shot.

That's a lot of words for a simple indie Minesweeper/Picross combo game, but I'd love to see more posts on hidden and overlooked indies in this thread, and what better way than to be the change you want to see?
Thanks, just grabbed this on Android for $2.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

bushisms.txt posted:

Thanks, just grabbed this on Android for $2.

Glad to know typing all those words was worth it!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

Physical is an actual archive of the game. With digital, who knows if you will still be able to play it in 10 years.
We'll probably be able to play both in 10 years. However, it's not clear that physical will survive 20 years. Switch cartridges aren't mask ROM like the old days, so they could well give up the ghost by then.

I say that as someone who has a sizable Switch physical game collection. I'm working on dumping all my cartridges so that they'll at least be playable in an emulator on my VR brain computer or whatever 20 years from now. If homebrew wasn't possible I'd actually be pretty worried about it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Weedle posted:

I don't know if that's better or worse than BotW making the Hero's Path a DLC thing. loving paid QoL upgrades, I s2g

Hero's Path being baked into the game at launch but making you pay them to turn it on afterwards was the most shameless thing lol

Mega64
May 23, 2008

There's like a hundred more shameless things on the Switch alone.

I'm pretty sure the dungeon crawler where you level up your breast size counts as eighty shameless things.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Lumines 2 when

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mister Facetious posted:

Lumines 2 when

Twomines

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Deuxmines :quebec:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

meteos when

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Meteos would do great on Switch thanks to its touchscreen - it was total dogshit on 360 because of its lack of one.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mega64 posted:

There's like a hundred more shameless things on the Switch alone.

I'm pretty sure the dungeon crawler where you level up your breast size counts as eighty shameless things.

are there really forty playable characters in that game?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I would let half this thread's posters die for a Switch version of Meteos.

Not including myself.

e: Meteos was the first DS game I owned and I loving loved it and it's a tragedy the franchise just died out after leaving the warm confines of the DS, just imagine if we had a 3DS Meteos!

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

RBA Starblade posted:

Meteos would do great on Switch thanks to its touchscreen - it was total dogshit on 360 because of its lack of one.

how does it work without a touch screen :psyduck:

meteos is a classic

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mega64 posted:

I would let half this thread's posters die for a Switch version of Meteos.

Not including myself.

e: Meteos was the first DS game I owned and I loving loved it and it's a tragedy the franchise just died out after leaving the warm confines of the DS, just imagine if we had a 3DS Meteos!

I don't know what Meteos is but if we're signing up to be killed I'm there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I know this thread doesn’t need any convincing on this subject, but I ordered the 2019 Satisfye grip from their close out site and holy poo poo is it awesome! It makes the switch feel like an entirely different machine!

Apparently the 2020 version improves on this somehow but I can’t imagine it getting any better than it is.

Also they ship from Illinois so if you’re in the adjacent couple of states it’s essentially free overnight shipping