Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I have a bottle of Diamine Syrah and Waterman Mysterious Blue from 2013 that are just fine. Good bottle hygiene and proper storage probably helped a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

iospace posted:

Curiosity, more than anything, how much writing do you get out of a pilot cartridge vs a traditional ball point pen?

A ballpoint pen is going to outlast pretty much any fountain pen, even at the highest capacity.* A larger tip or a wetter-writing pen will use slightly more ink than a finer or drier pen and thus you get less writing out of it, but the trade-off is that it adds character and consistency of writing that a ballpoint doesn't provide. It's hard to compare "how much" writing you can get, since it's affected by a number of factors. My VP with a stub nib only needs to be filled about every two weeks if I write consistently with it, about once a week if I'm writing a lot. My primary writer is a Vac 700R with a full body fill that can last for months, even as a wet writer with a stub nib. My little cheapo Platinum Preppy modded with an eyedropper fill and a super fine nib lasted almost a year as a work pen.

My fine Metro took about two weeks of near constant writing to burn through the original cartridge.

*I have actually emptied probably one ballpoint pen in my life so that's an estimate

Heath fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 22, 2020

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I got more writing out of a fountain pen than a ballpoint strictly because I don't lose my fountain pens :haw:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Heath posted:

A ballpoint pen is going to outlast pretty much any fountain pen, even at the highest capacity.* A larger tip or a wetter-writing pen will use slightly more ink than a finer or drier pen and thus you get less writing out of it, but the trade-off is that it adds character and consistency of writing that a ballpoint doesn't provide. It's hard to compare "how much" writing you can get, since it's affected by a number of factors. My VP with a stub nib only needs to be filled about every two weeks if I write consistently with it, about once a week if I'm writing a lot. My primary writer is a Vac 700R with a full body fill that can last for months, even as a wet writer with a stub nib. My little cheapo Platinum Preppy modded with an eyedropper fill and a super fine nib lasted almost a year as a work pen.

My fine Metro took about two weeks of near constant writing to burn through the original cartridge.

*I have actually emptied probably one ballpoint pen in my life so that's an estimate

Alright, I do do (hehe, maturity) a lot of writing, so we'll see how long the included cartridge lasts.

gwrtheyrn posted:

I got more writing out of a fountain pen than a ballpoint strictly because I don't lose my fountain pens :haw:

Now this I can believe!

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
When refilling a cartridge, does that little plastic cap matter at all? Using a pilot metro.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Adenoid Dan posted:

When refilling a cartridge, does that little plastic cap matter at all? Using a pilot metro.

If you're putting it right back in to the pen, no. If you want, though, you can use a chopstick to rotate it back in to place to seal up the cartridge again.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have a few carts that I've popped the disc out of, they're fine.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Chip McFuck posted:

How long can you leave a bottle of ink sitting around before using it again? I have a some Iroshizuku Yama-guri and Platinum Carbon Black that are about a year or more old now that I'd like to use again, but I don't want to put it in my pens if they're going to gunk up the works.

I have a couple bottles of ink from the 1950s which are still usable. Just open them up and see if there's any obvious sludge or sediment.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Dad Hominem posted:

I have a couple bottles of ink from the 1950s which are still usable. Just open them up and see if there's any obvious sludge or sediment.

There's a guy in my local pen club that pretty much exclusively uses Waterman ink from the 50s and 60s. He brings in gigantic 1L+ bottles of the stuff every once in a while so people can try samples.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Thanks for the info, guys! I just filled the ECO with the Iroshizoku and had forgotten how nice it looks on the page. It was actually Tsukushi instead of Yama-guri, which I guess goes to show how long I haven't looked at these bottles.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dad Hominem posted:

My favorite god damned ink was a blue that that came loaded in my vaccumatic when I bought it.

To quote the gal I bought it from when I asked

quote:

Hello dear pen filled with vintage almost 80 years Hungarian ink by Müller factory😊Enjoy

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

After writing with the ECO for a while now, I'm starting to remember why I liked fountains pens in the first place. I have only one extremely petty complaint about it: I'm not a fan of TWSBI's logo. It looks like something a metal head would have drawn in their high school algebra notebook or something. The red logo blends in with the coral nicely, at least.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 23, 2020

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The one on the ECO doesn't look great, but the one on the Vac 700R looks like the gemstone on top of a magic wand or something. I like it.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

grack posted:

That is one horrendously ugly pen, but the (easily) removable clip is a big plus.

I think it looks fresh as hell, and will be my first pen purchase in like 3 years

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

LionArcher posted:

I think it looks fresh as hell, and will be my first pen purchase in like 3 years

My man!

Also thoughts on the new white rose gold twsbi? I'm thinking about it.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

grack posted:

If you're putting it right back in to the pen, no. If you want, though, you can use a chopstick to rotate it back in to place to seal up the cartridge again.

Ah, that sounds familiar. I might try that with some cartridges I leave at my desk or in a sealed container but otherwise I'll probably just take them out as Heath said.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Question, regarding ink: how toxic is it?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

It's generally non-toxic and considered non-poisonous. The WHO has this to say:

quote:

Ink: ball-point pens, felt-tip pens, and fountain pens contain so little ink that there is not enough to cause poisoning if it is sucked from a pen. Some inks may cause soreness in the mouth. Large amounts of ink swallowed from a bottle could be irritant, but serious poisoning has not been reported.

The NIH agrees, and says that you'd need to ingest an ounce or more before you'd feel ill effects. Even then they say you probably wont even need to go to the hospital and to just drink lots of water.

Some inks do contain a small amount of chemicals like xylene or phenol, which can be dangerous in large amounts. However, even with those inks, you would have to be drinking literal bottles of them before even approaching dangerous levels of those chemicals.

Edit: it should also be noted that ink cannot be absorbed through the skin, so getting ink on your body is completely safe. Just clean with soap and water.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 24, 2020

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Protip: don't do like old TV shows and lick your nib to wet it if the pen is dry. I made that mistake with Organics Studio Nitrogen Royal Blue and my tongue was blue and tasted like I licked a penny for like an entire day.

For what it's worth too I hate that ink. I haven't used it for two years and yet some otherwise invisible spot on my desk manages to smear blue on my papers. It never, ever, ever fully dries. It is extremely pretty but it comes at a steep cost.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Some inks such as India ink won't hurt you but can screw up your pen. I think the pigment particles clog it or something. Only use fountain pen ink.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Heath posted:

Protip: don't do like old TV shows and lick your nib to wet it if the pen is dry. I made that mistake with Organics Studio Nitrogen Royal Blue and my tongue was blue and tasted like I licked a penny for like an entire day.

For what it's worth too I hate that ink. I haven't used it for two years and yet some otherwise invisible spot on my desk manages to smear blue on my papers. It never, ever, ever fully dries. It is extremely pretty but it comes at a steep cost.

I've been known to lick my finger, then rub my pen on that to "unstick" ball pens in the past. Usually works too, which is silly when you think about it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Captain von Trapp posted:

Some inks such as India ink won't hurt you but can screw up your pen. I think the pigment particles clog it or something. Only use fountain pen ink.

Will keep in mind!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Adenoid Dan posted:

I like to refill the Pilot Parallel cartridges because while they’re the same size as normal Pilot carts, they have a ball bearing in them that helps agitate non-homogeneous inks like Emerald of Chivor or Empire Red. The plastic disc that originally sealed the cartridge keeps the ball in a place where it won’t jam the feed.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

iospace posted:

Question, regarding ink: how toxic is it?

All bets are off on Noodlers!

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Any one got any experience with Hugo Boss fountain pens? TK Max has a few for £25 but I am not sure they are worth it for that price.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kerbtree posted:

All bets are off on Noodlers!

Oh boy, any reason?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

iospace posted:

Oh boy, any reason?

Nathan Tardiff, the man behind Noodler's, is a crazy person who makes inks with some pretty extreme properties, like resistance to lasers, extra lubricantion, or freeze resistance. At one point he had a quick-drying red ink intended for lefties called Berning Red. I wonder if that will make a comeback this year.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Berning Red is expensive now and I wish I had gotten some at the time

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Has he released a video of his hands shaking while he complains about The Banks or The Haters lately?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

howe_sam posted:

Nathan Tardiff, the man behind Noodler's, is a crazy person who makes inks with some pretty extreme properties, like resistance to lasers, extra lubricantion, or freeze resistance. At one point he had a quick-drying red ink intended for lefties called Berning Red. I wonder if that will make a comeback this year.

As a lefty, in both senses :v:, I need that. I can get freeze resistance though, I'm in Wisconsin.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

howe_sam posted:

If you were to swallow any and have significant effects, I doubt he'd ever tell anyone the recipe to allow appropriate treatment. He doesn't even write it down AFAIK, because they* might get it.

*Possibly Commies, or aliens. Commie Aliens?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Commie aliens, in cooperation with the reverse vampires and funded by the trilateral commission, working alongside the Bilderberg group.

There's almost no way that Nate was not a regular Art Bell listener. It's not hard to imagine him working feverishly in his lab (shed?) at 3AM while Art talks to a caller about his alien abduction.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

This half hour screed introducing Berning Red is pretty much the full Nathan Tardiff experience
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIXyBr3-af0
The man is a complete dingbat, but if you want the bluest blue that ever blued, Baystate Blue has you covered.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

howe_sam posted:

The man is a complete dingbat
The standard of "complete dingbat" has shifted so far to really lovely things that "probably a Lyndon Larouche voter" like this is almost cute.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

howe_sam posted:

This half hour screed introducing Berning Red is pretty much the full Nathan Tardiff experience
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIXyBr3-af0
The man is a complete dingbat, but if you want the bluest blue that ever blued, Baystate Blue has you covered.

:catstare:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Nathan Tardiff is a man that lives every day in mortal fear that someone, probably the government, is washing his cheques.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I would freaking love to meet that guy some day. I mean, if he's been to the DC Supershow in the past few years I probably have, but still.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Dude makes some excellent inks though. Bad Belted Kingfisher is one of the best ones I own and it's one of the super permanent ones. No washed checks for me!

Also I used Borealis Black to fill out my ballots and I plan to use Heart of Darkness to vote for Bernie. :getin:

Edit: I want to put the emphasis on "some" because a couple of the inks I've used of his have been garbage, namely American Aristocracy

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pens came, loaded up ink, and both work!

The black Pilot ink dries actually pretty fast, so smearing won't be a problem, it seems :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I'm still mad that he changed the two Roses inks. My samples were markedly different from the bottles.