Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Can you get into a mech and then sit in the driver's seat of a vehicle?

Do the impossible, see the invisible, row row fight the powah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The island prison break start is my new hardmode. The key is to get out of the locked office area, avoid the hulks and brutes (of which there are like 2-6) and climb up the drain pipe to the roof.

From there you have to act fast since the zombies will still see you and try to follow you along at ground floor, which is an issue when the hulks start ripping the walls down to get you.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Can you get into a mech and then sit in the driver's seat of a vehicle?

Completely misread the question and don't think so. Need to test this now because I never thought about it.

E: Tested. You cannot board a vehicle while in a mech. You can carry them on your car with a livestock carrier though.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 24, 2020

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

0.E is now in Content freeze. All that means for people here is that 0.E has moved from "Soon" to "slightly sooner than soon"

As for me, I can't wait to play 0.E for like two days before I see something neat in the experimentals again.

In other news, I've discovered the magic of custom sort zones and am using it to empty entire buildings with the press of a button. Its GREAT.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Inglonias posted:

0.E is now in Content freeze. All that means for people here is that 0.E has moved from "Soon" to "slightly sooner than soon"

As for me, I can't wait to play 0.E for like two days before I see something neat in the experimentals again.

In other news, I've discovered the magic of custom sort zones and am using it to empty entire buildings with the press of a button. Its GREAT.

Now burn a house down and be set with nails and stuff for life.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Telsa Cola posted:

The island prison break start is my new hardmode. The key is to get out of the locked office area, avoid the hulks and brutes (of which there are like 2-6) and climb up the drain pipe to the roof.

From there you have to act fast since the zombies will still see you and try to follow you along at ground floor, which is an issue when the hulks start ripping the walls down to get you.

I use the same start for the bonus stat points so I can make my meme builds but I'm not sure I would quantify it as "hard," it's more "reload if you get shoulder charged by a brute". I just smash the coat hanger for a plank, strip naked, break the door down and kill any Z9s that come as a result, peek out the door and beeline to the water.

The experimental branch is wild though, the loot frequency is so stupid high. Every house has a weeks worth of food in it. I found a four-house town that has both Under the Hood and Intro to Biodiesel so day one I'm ready to build the mobile home (again)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Inglonias posted:

I mostly just use it to keep my home base tidy. Organizing and dropping off my loot after any raid was the most tedious part, so glad that's over.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Inglonias posted:

How are you using the custom zone? Is there something you need to put in the filter to make an NPC strip everything not nailed down?

I can't believe I've played this long and never tried zones - I always asociated it with NPCs and building settlements which I've never bothered with because they always seemed incomplete.

Can you use it with vehicles?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

PiCroft posted:

How are you using the custom zone? Is there something you need to put in the filter to make an NPC strip everything not nailed down?

I can't believe I've played this long and never tried zones - I always asociated it with NPCs and building settlements which I've never bothered with because they always seemed incomplete.

I do know there's a sort of "chop shop" vehicle option, where you can set such a zone for NPCs, park a vehicle there, and then they'll utterly dismantle it.
At the very least you should be using zones for farming (which lets you till/plant/harvest an entire area instead of one tile at a time) and for sorting (which can be used in a vehicle or home base) to automatically drop off items of various categories in designated spots, so each haul of loot you get can be properly distributed in a single button press.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
So the health-screen will tell you that you don't expect any improvement from putting disinfectant on a wound if you've already tried and failed to properly disinfect a deep bite but this isn't actually good information because adding further disinfectant is the proper way to handle that situation and indeed another dose fixed me up and removed deep bite status.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

PiCroft posted:

Zones work just fine when placed on vehicle tiles, yeah.

I've only recently started exploring this feature myself, but I can't imagine playing a city looter without them now. Basic use of them is to set up several categorized zones in various locations (more than one zone can occupy the same tile) and then make an unsorted zone. You can then press Shift+O (default keybinding) to sort everything into its proper location (if there's room). The Shift+O menu is also used for every other zone based action. Custom zones allow you to set filters. If you use a blank filter, anything can go into that zone. If zones get too big, it can cause the game to chug because it's trying to pathfind you around the area, but I haven't seen any lockups or crashes from them in a long time. More advanced uses for zones are things like using the blueprint zone to build constructions across multiple tiles, or just deconstruct a whole room worth of furniture. Certain zones also have special actions associated with them. Wood storage zones let you automatically chop logs into planks. Corpse zones let you auto butcher corpses. Both of those actions automatically retrieve the best tools for the job before they get started, too! Firewood sources are used to refuel fires that are getting low automagically when you're crafting or reading. I think you can assign NPCs to do the jobs of each zone too, but I've never actually tried it.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Inglonias posted:

Zones work just fine when placed on vehicle tiles, yeah.

I've only recently started exploring this feature myself, but I can't imagine playing a city looter without them now. Basic use of them is to set up several categorized zones in various locations (more than one zone can occupy the same tile) and then make an unsorted zone. You can then press Shift+O (default keybinding) to sort everything into its proper location (if there's room). The Shift+O menu is also used for every other zone based action. Custom zones allow you to set filters. If you use a blank filter, anything can go into that zone. If zones get too big, it can cause the game to chug because it's trying to pathfind you around the area, but I haven't seen any lockups or crashes from them in a long time. More advanced uses for zones are things like using the blueprint zone to build constructions across multiple tiles, or just deconstruct a whole room worth of furniture. Certain zones also have special actions associated with them. Wood storage zones let you automatically chop logs into planks. Corpse zones let you auto butcher corpses. Both of those actions automatically retrieve the best tools for the job before they get started, too! Firewood sources are used to refuel fires that are getting low automagically when you're crafting or reading. I think you can assign NPCs to do the jobs of each zone too, but I've never actually tried it.

Oh, you can definitely set NPCs to auto-sort loot. My first priority now when starting anew is to befriend the NPC who starts in my shelter so I can have someone who will strip stuff out of a house for me into neatly sorted piles.

e: it's something like "I want to discuss your behaviour (i)" and then "Please sort out my stuff(c)" and they'll behave exactly as your own character would.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

PiCroft posted:

Oh, you can definitely set NPCs to auto-sort loot. My first priority now when starting anew is to befriend the NPC who starts in my shelter so I can have someone who will strip stuff out of a house for me into neatly sorted piles.

e: it's something like "I want to discuss your behaviour (i)" and then "Please sort out my stuff(c)" and they'll behave exactly as your own character would.

I tried that in my current playthrough but they wouldn't come with me, and because we were in a gun shop in a city, I just sort of left them there. I may go back one day to find out what happened to them if I live long enough.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The new battery system is frustrating but I'm figuring it out. Your cellphone has 150 charge and can be unloaded to use in a more useful tool. You need a charged soldering iron to make battery component mods so always be thinking in the direction of keeping some battery around for when you find a soldering iron. Soldering irons need to be unloaded before you can put the vehicle-battery mod onto them which had me confused for a minute. Now that I've figured out how to get myself back up and solar powered I guess I've no complaints for the time being but let me tell you I got very hot under the hood when I found out my hand-crank battery charger wouldn't work with any of the empty batteries I'm finding under kitchen sinks!

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 27, 2020

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

*literally picking through rotten poo poo in the post apocalypse to survive*

Game: You feel bad, maybe you should consider eating healthier!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Looks like I picked a decent time to look back in on this game. So, one question about all this newfangled nutrition: did they ever add the ability to just pour a bowl of cereal, or are we still stuck eating a handful of cornflakes out of the box and chugging directly from the milk jug?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The latter I believe, but you get a slight morale bonus for sitting next to a table while you eat fistfuls of dry cereal and shotgun a liter of milk

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Pro tier day one strategy is to be subsisting for as long as possible entirely on milk. It rots the fastest and provides both hydration and calories so you should just guzzle down on as much as possible whenever possible because it's all gonna spoil by like the end of the second day.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

*drinks some coffee*

Game: Oh my loving god, is there gluten in this? How aren't you dead, you should eat a salad, you're disgusting. You're disintegrating before my very eyes. You should eat healthier you loving pig, you hog man. You disgusting gross freak.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
How do I autosort loot? I set up zones, but the only option that comes up with Shift O is Chop Planks.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Stand next to your unsorted loot zone while stuff is in it.

Motherfucker posted:

*drinks some coffee*

Game: Oh my loving god, is there gluten in this? How aren't you dead, you should eat a salad, you're disgusting. You're disintegrating before my very eyes. You should eat healthier you loving pig, you hog man. You disgusting gross freak.

*eats literally a dozen boiled eggs*

Game: Great job! So anyway, you have sat in a chair reading for 3 hours, and are now Very Hungry again.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Motherfucker posted:

*drinks some coffee*

speaking of coffee idk if it was just the experimental version I played or not but all drugs got nerfed to hell and back. stimulants at the highest level gave like a minimal speed boost only, and meth is always a penalty so if you used the ‘get high and do CBMs’ thing it’s probably dead.

on the upside, addictive personality is largely free points now because all drugs are actively negative top to bottom so there’s never any reason to interact with anything more addictive than mutagen for the most part.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

BlondRobin posted:

speaking of coffee idk if it was just the experimental version I played or not but all drugs got nerfed to hell and back. stimulants at the highest level gave like a minimal speed boost only, and meth is always a penalty so if you used the ‘get high and do CBMs’ thing it’s probably dead.

on the upside, addictive personality is largely free points now because all drugs are actively negative top to bottom so there’s never any reason to interact with anything more addictive than mutagen for the most part.

Thank goodness I almost experienced some fun escapism for a second there

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

BlondRobin posted:

I mean, morphine is just as it is IRL, but yeah, besides that I can't really think of a good reason to use drugs. Then again, the only thing I used the alcohol strength boost for was moving furniture and now you can do that at any strength, it just takes longer. Seriously, if it doesn't do anything, why bother having them?

reignofevil posted:

The new battery system is frustrating but I'm figuring it out. Your cellphone has 150 charge and can be unloaded to use in a more useful tool. You need a charged soldering iron to make battery component mods so always be thinking in the direction of keeping some battery around for when you find a soldering iron. Soldering irons need to be unloaded before you can put the vehicle-battery mod onto them which had me confused for a minute. Now that I've figured out how to get myself back up and solar powered I guess I've no complaints for the time being but let me tell you I got very hot under the hood when I found out my hand-crank battery charger wouldn't work with any of the empty batteries I'm finding under kitchen sinks!

Odd. It should work with any battery except vehicle batteries.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 28, 2020

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
So I've been playing with the latest experimental and I just have to share the absolute insanity that is gun mods now.

So say you wanted to mod your gun to be faster to aim at close ranges, what would you add? Red dot sight? A laser sight? Nope, you'd add a folding stock obviously. See a folding stock decreases the size of the weapon while it's folded and a smaller gun is easier to move and thus faster to aim, get it?

The volume and weight of a gun affect how quick it is to aim which sort of makes sense but the influence of volume and weight on aim speed are so huge that they render the aim speed stats of different sights basically irrelevant. In fact because adding mods slightly increases a weapon's weight adding a laser sight which is meant to make the gun faster to aim can actually make it slower.

What this boils down to is that folding stock is the one good mod now unless you're making a sniper rifle. Every other mod will generally make the gun slower to aim which is the only important stat against anything that's closer than 20 tiles.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Dire Lemming posted:

So I've been playing with the latest experimental and I just have to share the absolute insanity that is gun mods now.

So say you wanted to mod your gun to be faster to aim at close ranges, what would you add? Red dot sight? A laser sight? Nope, you'd add a folding stock obviously. See a folding stock decreases the size of the weapon while it's folded and a smaller gun is easier to move and thus faster to aim, get it?

The volume and weight of a gun affect how quick it is to aim which sort of makes sense but the influence of volume and weight on aim speed are so huge that they render the aim speed stats of different sights basically irrelevant. In fact because adding mods slightly increases a weapon's weight adding a laser sight which is meant to make the gun faster to aim can actually make it slower.

What this boils down to is that folding stock is the one good mod now unless you're making a sniper rifle. Every other mod will generally make the gun slower to aim which is the only important stat against anything that's closer than 20 tiles.

oh man, I'd been playing with sights and wondering why it seemed like any sight I added was a mediocre shift or even penalty (compared to the hilarious double-sights tacticlol of 0.C experimentals) but I never expected that. that's amazing. aaaaaaaamazing.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
That's our Cataclysm:DDA!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Does anyone use the android version, from the app store? I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to remap the "open keyboard" button - there's still an issue with the default key "back" shutting down the game if you try to use the keyboard more than once.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Lets see what the devs have to say about it!

Than they muted me for a further sixty minutes for saying I use the generic guns mod because regular guns have the scent of 'gun guy' on them and radiate small dick energy

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jan 29, 2020

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

well, they're not wrong. demanding people fix something and then calling them a baby nerd when you get a snarky response is a dumb thing to do. DDA is full of questionable design decisions, but its worth remembering that it is also free, open to contributions, and developed by volunteers

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Rockopolis posted:

Does anyone use the android version, from the app store? I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to remap the "open keyboard" button - there's still an issue with the default key "back" shutting down the game if you try to use the keyboard more than once.

I think that's an issue with the latest stable. If you find one of the newest Experimental build .apk files and use that, it should fix that issue. At least, it did for me!

It's honestly incredible that they've got CDDA running well on a phone in the first place.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

break-up breakdown posted:

well, they're not wrong. demanding people fix something and then calling them a baby nerd when you get a snarky response is a dumb thing to do. DDA is full of questionable design decisions, but its worth remembering that it is also free, open to contributions, and developed by volunteers

There's a 'personal responsibility' epidemic in git projects where people like to use the sing song 'If you don't like it fix it yourself' response, when in actual fact its MUCH more efficient to have a small number of contributors and free communications and open talks about the problems. And the response I got to calling this petulant baby a petulant baby couldn't have been more petulant and infantile than if he had chosen to poo poo his pants and scream.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I have a lot to say about this but my biggest question for the cataclysm dev team at this time is this, 'Do you guys actually want guns to be viable, ever, and as a follow up what is your projected progression from a first day survivor to a gun-armed survivor and what degree of safety should this permit'

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The truth I think, is simple. Guns are meant to be a trap option. Fighting a moose with a katana is much more realistic.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

There's a 'personal responsibility' epidemic in git projects where people like to use the sing song 'If you don't like it fix it yourself' response, when in actual fact its MUCH more efficient to have a small number of contributors and free communications and open talks about the problems. And the response I got to calling this petulant baby a petulant baby couldn't have been more petulant and infantile than if he had chosen to poo poo his pants and scream.

no doubt. but next time try opening an issue on github, or just saying "hey this is wrong" instead of "fix this". you'll get results quicker.

it should come as no surprise that the people heavily invested in this project take offence easily

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

Lets see what the devs have to say about it!

Than they muted me for a further sixty minutes for saying I use the generic guns mod because regular guns have the scent of 'gun guy' on them and radiate small dick energy
Barging into the Discord server and demanding a fix like that is not going to work, and I have no idea what you thought you'd accomplish like that, even if I agree that gun mods suck right now.

The best thing to do in this situation would be to create a GitHub issue. Be as specific as possible with what the problem is and what you want to be done in order to fix it.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

reignofevil posted:

The truth I think, is simple. Guns are meant to be a trap option. Fighting a moose with a katana is much more realistic.

Hell yes, absolutely.

break-up breakdown posted:

no doubt. but next time try opening an issue on github, or just saying "hey this is wrong" instead of "fix this". you'll get results quicker.

it should come as no surprise that the people heavily invested in this project take offence easily

listen no amount of :decorum: and going through 'the proper channels' will stop a tight fisted discord cop from taking out his insecurities about his weird balls and highschool trauma. This just highlights that this dude IS the problem, he isn't going to fix anything and he sure as gently caress isn't going to LET anything get fixed. He'll shuffle numbers around or whatever but any criticisms are going to be shut down either with force or by mental gymnastics. If I published a change tomorrow fixing things this guy would be the first to delete it.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

Hell yes, absolutely.

listen no amount of :decorum: and going through 'the proper channels' will stop a tight fisted discord cop from taking out his insecurities about his weird balls and highschool trauma. This just highlights that this dude IS the problem, he isn't going to fix anything and he sure as gently caress isn't going to LET anything get fixed. He'll shuffle numbers around or whatever but any criticisms are going to be shut down either with force or by mental gymnastics. If I published a change tomorrow fixing things this guy would be the first to delete it.

The gun sights aim speed is very easy to modify. They're pretty much all right here. You can make a mod or patch to fix this issue in about ten seconds by doubling or tripling the aim_speed attributes for the relevant sights. A proper fix probably requires a LITTLE bit more research than that to be merged to mainline, but that's a bandaid for you.

If you want to change the aim speed formula instead, this is where the code that governs aim speed lives.. You can probably figure the math out and come back with a new formula entirely if you want. None of this is set in stone.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
Gentle reminder that the long term contributors still active on Cataclysm:DDA don't deserve anyone's respect.

They have long proven themselves to be incompetent babies who failed to honour their kickstarter. (Remember the Kickstarter?)
I give them credit that their failure to achieve most kickstarter milestones was due to said incompetence, rather than malice or greed.

The end result is that Cataclysm is essentially the same as it was almost 10 years ago and that is a travesty, not a triumph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

in the land of cdda development, the discord cop with weird balls is king. so play by the rules or suffer the injustice of not being able to post for an hour.

this is obviously a bug and not some 'realism trumps gameplay' nonsense. if you did PR a genuine fix then granade himself would still have to give a justifiable reason for shutting it down. If you were fighting against defecation mechanics then I would gladly die posting alongside you, friend.