Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Theatrical or Final Cut for Dust Devil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Trying to decide whether to see Underwater or The Turning tonight.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

DeimosRising posted:

Yo I know everyone always talks about Brotherhood of the Wolf as the Bloodborne movie, and it’s cool and did obviously inspire bloodborne. But I just watched the Hardwicke Red Riding Hood and that movie is also pretty much just what if The Company of Wolves, but also Bloodborne. Great looking movie, sexiest medieval village of all time, Gary Oldman eats several scenes worth of set dressing whole. It’s got one cheap red herring and a crappy exposition scene but it’s otherwise pretty sick

Basebf555 posted:

Didn't know this existed but I'll be checking it out tonight. I just bought Brotherhood of the Wolf on blu ray last week and it holds up a LOT better than I thought it would. Production design on that movie was top notch.

I had no idea this existed either and will definitely be checking it out. It's interesting, because your description makes it sound rad, and yet...

Wikipedia posted:

Reception
Red Riding Hood has a 10% approval rating at review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes based on 202 appraisals, with an average score of 3.7/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "Amanda Seyfried is magnetic in Red Riding Hood's starring role, but she's let down by her uninspired leading men and a painfully cliched script."[12] Metacritic calculated a score of 29 out of 100 based on the opinions of 36 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews".[13] USA Today complimented the production design, but wrote "it's a foolish story, marred by a strange blend of overacting and bland, offhand performances."[14] Roger Ebert gave the film one star out of four, stating it is "a movie that cross-pollinates the Twilight formula with a werewolf and a girl who always wears a red hooded cape, although I don't recall her doing any riding.... it has the added inconvenience of being serious about a plot so preposterous, it demands to be filmed by Monty Python."[15] Mary Pols of Time magazine named it one of the 10 worst films of 2011.[16]

Which I know is meaningless as to whether I'll like a film or not, but drat. The way you describe makes me wonder if it would have been better received if it was released a little more recently.

Either way I'll definitely give it a chance.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

flashy_mcflash posted:

The Turning's been getting pretty bad reviews all around, even from horror sites

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

Underwater is the first time I made it a priority to see a horror movie in theaters twice since GET OUT. It really is an experience that only works on the big screen.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Shrecknet posted:

Underwater is the first time I made it a priority to see a horror movie in theaters twice since GET OUT. It really is an experience that only works on the big screen.

its not playing anywhere near me anymore :(

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Stink Billyums posted:

The Turning's been getting pretty bad reviews all around, even from horror sites

That's disappointing, but makes my choice easier! I've been avoiding reviews. Thanks!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

COOL CORN posted:

is that you lurdiak

I wish.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Neo Rasa posted:

I had no idea this existed either and will definitely be checking it out. It's interesting, because your description makes it sound rad, and yet...

Which I know is meaningless as to whether I'll like a film or not, but drat. The way you describe makes me wonder if it would have been better received if it was released a little more recently.

Either way I'll definitely give it a chance.

It was her follow up to twilight so everyone was primed to hate it, and it’s absolutely a girl’s fantasy movie which rarely review well. But if you like sexy boys, and Gary Oldman offering Amanda Seyfried as a human sacrifice after locking her in a metal pig mask, set design that is obviously pulled directly from Company of Wolves, and some great shots of misty forests and seyfried in a giant red cloak walking in the snow, and I do, you’ll probably like this.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

DeimosRising posted:

Yo I know everyone always talks about Brotherhood of the Wolf as the Bloodborne movie, and it’s cool and did obviously inspire bloodborne. But I just watched the Hardwicke Red Riding Hood and that movie is also pretty much just what if The Company of Wolves, but also Bloodborne. Great looking movie, sexiest medieval village of all time, Gary Oldman eats several scenes worth of set dressing whole. It’s got one cheap red herring and a crappy exposition scene but it’s otherwise pretty sick

Oh wow, I have never met anyone other than me who remembers the Hardwicke Red Riding Hood movie fondly. It's rare you find anyone who remembers it at all, in fact.

It's a ridiculous and heavily stylized movie, would probably make a great doubleheader with Ginger Snaps.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's ridiculous and heavily stylized

but enough about me.

Has anyone seen Crepitus with Bill Moseley or am I gonna be thread guinea pig?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kvlt! posted:

but enough about me.

It seems that you answered your own question.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Kvlt! posted:

but enough about me.

aren’t you already the thread august underground

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
What about Artik? I asked about that the other day. Nobody has seen it?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

alf_pogs posted:

the thing i found most distressing / nightmarish was when the mum and the boy get fused together, nobody really talks to the boy or worries about him. it's entirely focused on the mum, despite them both obviously being utterly hosed.

Absolutely. Usually things in horror don't affect me at all, but the attic scene with the mother/child being in obvious distress really got to me. The imagery of hospice care, disease, dying loved ones, helpless relatives at the bedside, mixed with those The Thing-like effects of twisted flesh... It was really powerful.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

flashy_mcflash posted:

They're both pretty loving bad but I guess Underwater was less bad

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Rageaholic posted:

You're the first person to tell me Underwater was bad. The worst criticism I've heard is that it's derivative of Aliens but even that was tempered with "it's really fuckin good tho". Not saying you're wrong or not entitled to your opinion but what did you really dislike, without going into spoilers?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Bad Moon is one of the better werewolf films that don't get enough love. That opening sequence and German Shepherd vs werewolf are both high points.

Currently the best werewolf movie is still Silver Bullet.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

flashy_mcflash posted:

You're the first person to tell me Underwater was bad. The worst criticism I've heard is that it's derivative of Aliens but even that was tempered with "it's really fuckin good tho". Not saying you're wrong or not entitled to your opinion but what did you really dislike, without going into spoilers?
It was really boring, had completely wooden acting, had an awesome premise that it wasted, etc. I don't get why people say they enjoyed it, but maybe that's just me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Bad Moon is one of the better werewolf films that don't get enough love. That opening sequence and German Shepherd vs werewolf are both high points.

Yea I watched Bad Moon this past October and thought it was much better than it should be for a movie that never gets any attention whatsoever. And yea that really is one hell of an opener.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hollismason posted:

It’s company of wolves by a mile

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

but enough about me.

I saw it at a horror fest in Gettysburg last year, it's fun as hell enjoy it

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Hell yeah I saw something that Kvlt! hasn't, finally

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
I'm happy that cosmic / lovecraftian horror is becoming more prominent in film in recent times. Great development for the genre.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

flashy_mcflash posted:

I just saw the Turning, so let me say this as clearly as possible: SEE UNDERWATER! THE TURNING IS VERY BAD!

It's an hour and a half long, but feels like it's four hours because it takes such a long time to go nowhere. Also, it has an ending that, against all odds, makes all the pointless bullshit feel even more pointless.

And it's a drat shame because a lot of the imagery is truly beautiful and it sucks that it's all wasted on this dull as dirt film.

Rageaholic posted:

Listen, I respect your right to not like Underwater, but it's nowhere near the level of awful that The Turning is. Like, if you thought Underwater was a kick in the nuts then The Turning is like being run over by a truck.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I just saw the Turning, so let me say this as clearly as possible: SEE UNDERWATER! THE TURNING IS VERY BAD!

It's an hour and a half long, but feels like it's four hours because it takes such a long time to go nowhere. Also, it has an ending that, against all odds, makes all the pointless bullshit feel even more pointless.

And it's a drat shame because a lot of the imagery is truly beautiful and it sucks that it's all wasted on this dull as dirt film.

I'm still probably going to go see it since one of my job perks is watch free movies on the big screen until my eyes bleed, and I've sat through every adaptation of Turn of the Screw so why break tradition at this point. I do have to ask about the ending, which did they go with nanny repressed imagining it all or the ghost poo poo's real .

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'm still probably going to go see it since one of my job perks is watch free movies on the big screen until my eyes bleed, and I've sat through every adaptation of Turn of the Screw so why break tradition at this point. I do have to ask about the ending, which did they go with nanny repressed imagining it all or the ghost poo poo's real .

Oh yeah if you can see it for free than go see it, I also have a job that let's me see free movies so I try to see as many as possible and warn people who actually have to pay for films about the bad ones.

And as for the ending they go with both, kind of, but not really. I think that's what I found the most frustrating, it's done in a way that could have been clever, but it's too ham-handed and takes too long to get there.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Finally saw Little Monsters and was pretty disappointed with it. They really hosed up making the lovely white guy the lead instead of Lupita N’yongo.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Me and my girlfriend will watch any horror movie we come across no matter how bad it looks. Last night we watched Enter Nowhere . I really enjoyed the premise because I'm a sucker for stuck in somewhere or am I crazy? kind of horror movies. It didn't end well and Scott Eastwood is...not good.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

We could’ve had a Cheech & Chong horror movie.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3602050/tommy-chong-says-hes-trying-write-cheech-chong-horror-movie/

quote:

“Every comedy team before they broke up, they always had a horror movie. Abbott and Costello Halloween. Abbott and Costello meet the monster. Bing Crosby and Bob Hope, they had one. Everybody has a horror movie. So I always wanted to do a horror movie. In fact, we did a reunion tour movie and I wanted to make that a horror movie but I didn’t have the clout that I once had with Cheech, so I couldn’t talk him into it. It’s a nice genre to play with, you can have a lot of fun with it. Like Get Out, I like that approach to it.”

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Rageaholic posted:

It was really boring, had completely wooden acting, had an awesome premise that it wasted, etc. I don't get why people say they enjoyed it, but maybe that's just me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I thought the movie was pretty average myself. It's an okay monster movie, but I also have a hard time understanding where all the hype is coming from.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

MacheteZombie posted:

Theatrical or Final Cut for Dust Devil?

Final Cut.

Also, I would like to echo how much I love Brotherhood of the Wolf and how well it holds up; everyone should see that stinking movie.

With all the hype here, I am very excited to get a chance to see Color Out of Space.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

get on board Cheech!! the only acceptable person to score this puppy is Carpenter obviously

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Hey horror thread. Are there any movies that capture a similar atmosphere to The Hunger? Like, new wavey (the music) gothic type things? If it's super stylish that's a big plus too.

Almost Blue fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 25, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Atomic Blonde, The Neon Demon, Knife + Heart, Manhunter, The Guest, Byzantium.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

DeimosRising posted:

It’s company of wolves by a mile

Its not fight me

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Almost Blue posted:

Hey horror thread. Are there any movies that capture a similar atmosphere to The Hunger? Like, new wavey (the music) gothic type things? If it's super stylish that's a big plus too.

Halloween Jack posted:

Atomic Blonde, The Neon Demon, Knife + Heart, Manhunter, The Guest, Byzantium.

I'd also recommend Drive, Only God Forgives, and Lost River.

Ryan Gosling was on a real synthwave kick for a bit.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I saw The Turning tonight and can confirm it’s dreadful. Go watch The Innocents instead, it being a far, far superior adaptation of Turn of the Screw.

Kermode hits it absolutely on the head about the ending (in a great non-spoilery way).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM8gEI8NqYw

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I haven't seen Doctor Sleep yet but I very much liked the book. Should I pull the trigger and buy the Blu of the Director's Cut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I really liked it but I didn't read the book. The person I sent with did though and they also liked it but said they liked the book better (but who doesn't say that).