Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mrtrunks84
Oct 5, 2004

The train in my head just missed it's stop
Finally got to take the Golf R to the track. They do a Winter X at the Utah Motorsports Complex and luckily there was a nice clean track to run on. It was a blast just getting to feel how the car reacts under these conditions rather than just street driving. I was impressed with how well it handled considering I have my winter tires on. I absolutely missed the driving lines most of the time, haha. I would be fun to get an instructor in the car and really start learning. After this it has me wanting for a cheap track car I can really thrash on. Fun times were had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7XFjAsC9IA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I really want to get back on the track.

Also, missing this dude

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

opengl128 posted:

Also, missing this dude

Buy my Speed6.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Buy my Speed6.

I will not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Awww, come on.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

opengl128 posted:

Also, missing this dude

One of my biggest regrets is selling this one:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I regret selling my 08.5. Still the only car I could pause and rewind satellite radio.

RIP, your next owner bastardized you.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I regret selling my 08.5. Still the only car I could pause and rewind satellite radio.

RIP, your next owner bastardized you.

That blew my mind when I discovered mine did that. And yeah, I assume mine is now running around with neon green evil M badges and monster stickers and stanced wheels now.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

dissss posted:

One of my biggest regrets is selling this one:

When I worked at a car transporter in college I got to drive a Mazda like this with a supercharger and 6 speed. It was a rocket ship. Other highlights included an Aston Martin Vanquish, one of the first R8’s, an insanely light Suzuki rally car, and an Audi S8 coupe.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

red19fire posted:

When I worked at a car transporter in college I got to drive a Mazda like this with a supercharger and 6 speed. It was a rocket ship. Other highlights included an Aston Martin Vanquish, one of the first R8’s, an insanely light Suzuki rally car, and an Audi S8 coupe.

All of my fears confirmed: that valets and any stranger who drives my car will beat on it.

I had to valet my car a few years ago and the valet asked if I ever used the NOS bottle. It was very clearly a fire extinguisher strapped down in the passenger footwell. I hope he didn't try to huff any Halon.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

MetaJew posted:

All of my fears confirmed: that valets and any stranger who drives my car will beat on it.

I had to valet my car a few years ago and the valet asked if I ever used the NOS bottle. It was very clearly a fire extinguisher strapped down in the passenger footwell. I hope he didn't try to huff any Halon.

Speaking of fire extinguishers are there any preferred brands or whatever for carrying in a car?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

tangy yet delightful posted:

Speaking of fire extinguishers are there any preferred brands or whatever for carrying in a car?

This is what I bought, along with a universal mount that bolts to the seat:

H3R Performance HG250B Fire Extinguisher https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B005JV8ZXO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_WdqiEbDQMAJFY

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

After two years of being a GTI owner, I finally got the chance to take it on a couple of trips out of town recently, once by myself and once with the family along. It was great, except for the car talking to me psychically every now and then. Usually something like this:

Car: Feels good on the open road, right?
Me: Yeah, it's really nice! Comfortable, composed, I'm really enjoying it.
Car: That's great! ... Seats still comfy?
Me: Yeah, they're good.
Car: Because I've noticed... well, that your rear end is a little bigger and the seat is more snug. Just saying.
Me: I...

:smith:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

a mysterious cloak posted:

After two years of being a GTI owner, I finally got the chance to take it on a couple of trips out of town recently, once by myself and once with the family along. It was great, except for the car talking to me psychically every now and then. Usually something like this:

Car: Because I've noticed... well, that your rear end is a little bigger and the seat is more snug. Just saying.

My Focus ST w the Recaro seats is continually hectoring me about my rear end

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

a mysterious cloak posted:

I wouldn’t take that kind of poo poo off someone whose grandpa worked for Hitler.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The only car I've ever had issues with seat width wise is the Japanese market DC2/DB8 Integra Type R. The modern stuff with Recaros all feels quite wide.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Wait I don't really understand the last few posts. If you're a fat person you think about things like your body contact with chairs all the time? And that makes road trips unbearable? I am confused.

I drove across the USA last year in a GTI and really loved the seats, way more comfortable than many cars that cost quite a bit more.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
The most comfortable car seats I've ever sat in were, oddly enough, a kind of beaten on R34 Skyline GT-:argh:. I think I was in it for 6 or 7 hours and I felt great.

My MS3 gives me upper back pain after long drives because the steering wheel doesn't extend far enough forward. My GFs TTS gives me some lower back pain for reasons I don't understand. I am ant to say the recaros in the FiST were surprisingly comfortable for a 4-hour drive.

If I could find a wrecked or parted out RX8 R3, I would buy those seats and put them in my MS3. But that's a pipe dream.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Best Hot Hatch for sale on BaT: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-lancia-delta-integrale-evo-1/

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pryor on Fire posted:

Wait I don't really understand the last few posts. If you're a fat person you think about things like your body contact with chairs all the time? And that makes road trips unbearable? I am confused.

I drove across the USA last year in a GTI and really loved the seats, way more comfortable than many cars that cost quite a bit more.

i think its that sitting in the seat makes the op realize hes gained weight because they are tighter

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i think its that sitting in the seat makes the op realize hes gained weight because they are tighter

This.

Dammit :(

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

MetaJew posted:

My GFs TTS gives me some lower back pain for reasons I don't understand.

drat it man, this is a thread about cars, not your gfs huge knockers!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'd love to, but you'd never find a place willing to maintain it. If anything needed to be done beyond an oil change, you'd be hosed.

Gorgeous car, though.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

latinotwink1997 posted:

drat it man, this is a thread about cars, not your gfs huge knockers!

:golfclap:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

I'd love to, but you'd never find a place willing to maintain it. If anything needed to be done beyond an oil change, you'd be hosed.

Gorgeous car, though.

there are still places that will work on Lancias in CA and the Northeast

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

there are still places that will work on Lancias in CA and the Northeast

Good thing we all live in one of those places :suicide:

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

KillHour posted:

Speaking of, hows the Aston?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Maksimus54 posted:

Speaking of, hows the Aston?

Haven't had any trouble with it since I got it back from the dealership in July, except that they left it under a tree or something because it came back covered in sap and micro scratches :cmon:. Will need an oil change when the snow melts enough to take it out though. Not looking forward to how much that is going to cost.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Anyone in here ever replace the front swaybar bushings on a Mazda3/Mazdaspeed 3?

I suspect that's another source of my suspension clunks, but it looks like a pain in the rear end to do. I'm wondering if I should just let the dealership or some local shop do it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

oh weird maybe living in buffalo actually sucks

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I have been mulling to get, for my next car, a VW GTI. Because I'm getting older and because the last time I drove a manual was 20 years ago, I want for this next car to be a manual. I test-drove a manual VW GTI last year, and in general it seemed fine, any clutch issues I had in my 5 minute drive I think were my fault and my lack of experience.
I have found out lately, that people (on reddit, so take it with a bucket of salt) believe that the GTI clutch is really bad, that it has to be tuned/changed/fixed for some reason that I didn't understand. Is that true? I'm not looking to mod or gently caress around too much with the car. I just want a fun drive, a bit of HP when needed for an every-day car. Do you really have to change the clutch?

I love the Mazda handling and I'm sure I'd love a Miata, the problem with that would be practicality for an every day car. Another car I've considered and I'd probably be fine with, is Honda Civic Coupe Si. Weaker than a GTI, but dunno, maybe more practical? Never drove one so not sure how fun it is on the road.

What do you think?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It’s fine. If you’re going to track it or tube it eventually you’ll get it slipping (supposedly) but if you’re driving it “normally” you’ll be totally fine.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If you go to a high flow downpipe and tune then it is only a matter of time. This goes for the Si too.
Stock with the clutch restrictor removed and it'll probably last a long time.

The Si is a more fun / engaging car to drive, the GTI has a nicer interior and is nice being a hatch.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
might as well test drive the Honda too but both should be fine as long as you don't modify them.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
My experience with the GTI clutch is that it is fine and you will probably not have an issue, but also it isn't the greatest feeling clutch, I had a hard time really getting a good feel for it, you should drive one again. Also, I should note, I bought a 6 speed manual 2019 in July and there was a massive issue with the car stalling. To the point, I asked for a buyback. They gave the option for the DSG transmission and I took it, and I could not be happier. Not only because I really like the dual clutch transmission, it's great and you should also test drive one of those, but they ended up upgrading my car to the SE with several thousand in options. At this point, they claim to have an ECU update for the stalling issue, and it seems like there are good results, but worth mentioning. The people who say the clutch is weak are generally referring to a stage 1 tune.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 25, 2020

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Thank you for the information. I'll definitely test-drive the Si when I get the chance. Is Ford Focus ST comparable? They owned Mazda for a while, did they steal some tech? Did they make it as nice to drive as a mazda?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I haven't drivent a Focus ST but the Fiesta ST was incredibly light and easy enough to use. By comparison my MS3 clutch is significantly heavier. Since the Focus ST shares a very similar engine to the Mazda and everything is stamped FoMoCo I would wager the clutch is similar.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The new Corolla hatchback has a 6 speed that is apparently really nice. I guess not that long ago 168 hp would have been a hot hatch but... It's really difficult for me to give up my XRS Matrix for something with similar-ish power with 400lbs more to lug around.

Please Toyota put a hairdryer on it. :pray: Or let Yamaha wave their magic wand in that direction again.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Volguus posted:

Thank you for the information. I'll definitely test-drive the Si when I get the chance. Is Ford Focus ST comparable? They owned Mazda for a while, did they steal some tech? Did they make it as nice to drive as a mazda?

Just drive everything and be a picky bastard. Also don’t forget about the veloster n if you can deal with it’s goofiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

MetaJew posted:

I haven't drivent a Focus ST but the Fiesta ST was incredibly light and easy enough to use. By comparison my MS3 clutch is significantly heavier. Since the Focus ST shares a very similar engine to the Mazda and everything is stamped FoMoCo I would wager the clutch is similar.

These days I think a lot of what determines clutch feel (aside from whether there is a restrictor valve in the clutch line) is what clutch pedal spring arrangement is in place. Once upon a time there was just a spring to pull the pedal back up after it was depressed. Now, they use springs on pivoting mounts which change the spring force applied at points in the clutch travel and lead to the super light and non-linear clutch feel that seems to be a feature of modern cars.

The Focus ST and Fiesta ST both have such springs. People who have found a good way to replace this set up with a traditional return spring have reported a heavier, linear pedal.