Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I helped someone do a moonshine sell yesterday that let him pass through, and that poo poo was boring. At least moonshine sells always had "you can shoot bullets at people" over trader sells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Cage posted:

I helped someone do a moonshine sell yesterday that let him pass through, and that poo poo was boring. At least moonshine sells always had "you can shoot bullets at people" over trader sells.

To be fair... there’s always a gunfight if you shoot first.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Ygolonac posted:

One of today's dailies is "sell 5 feathers", and I've seen trader-specific one like "turn in x number of <size> carcasses", and yesterday IIRC was "turn in predator skins/carcasses". Otherwise, yeah, bust on the hooved rats. :clint:
but there's no additional benefit to do doing that besides the gold and xp. turning in 3 wolf carcasses that day doesn't provide any more materials for cripps than on any other day. i want to log in and have cripps send me after a particular animal because our customers just can't get enough of it or whatever. ideally the animal in question is random per player, rotating every 24 real-time hours to mix things up a bit.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Don't think I've ever had a 'shine run without a roadblock to deal with, one way or another. Might be boring to get waved through (with or without inspection), but rolling up on a bunch of heavily-armed dudes and not knowing what the result will be? That's the stress-inducer.

Trader runs, with *possible* gunfights at the end, are more exciting, if there's a fight. Of late, I've been running 50/50 on fight/peaceful delivery.

Could be Rockstar is going to add rival (NPC) crews at the delivery site, like the trader runs. Or the Feds will be waiting to bust you at the handoff or something. Put in Temperance Union flying squads going all direct-action against the bootleggers, yo.

I'd prefer they fix stuff first, though:

Cripps and His Magical Mystery Camp Movements
Invisible camps
Animal spawns
Random infinite loads or crashes mainly associated with moonshine ops
Patch that physically sets hackers on fire (will pay cash for this)

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
When I started moonshiner the tax men waved me through on every single run. I found this boring and now open fire on every single roadblock I find.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I've had the road block let me by once but I believe the higher you get in the job rank the more they let you buy.

edit. I take that back I've had them wave me by quite a few times but there was one time where they stopped me and the guy conducted a search and then let me go through.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

SplitSoul posted:

Bolger Glade, the Civil War battlefield south of Rhodes, also has some usually.

The meat processing place near Saint Denis is crawling with rats. I cant remember exactly where it is though.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

i dont understand not killing taxmen. even they may let me by they're all gonna die

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

There is a moonshiner rank unlock that reduces the chance of attacks, which I believe includes revenuer stops. As long as they don’t indicate that they’re looking for moonshine, you’re fine. The second that word escapes their lips, engage the paint.

Trader runs sometimes have bandit encounters, but they’re oddly placed at the destination of the route, where they’re already fighting for somebody. And, that’s usually only on long distance deliveries.

But, yeah, any instance of anything coming close to a cart I own is usually an open invitation to getting killed horribly, regardless of intent.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jeff Goldblum posted:

There is a moonshiner rank unlock that reduces the chance of attacks, which I believe includes revenuer stops. As long as they don’t indicate that they’re looking for moonshine, you’re fine. The second that word escapes their lips, engage the paint.

Trader runs sometimes have bandit encounters, but they’re oddly placed at the destination of the route, where they’re already fighting for somebody. And, that’s usually only on long distance deliveries.

But, yeah, any instance of anything coming close to a cart I own is usually an open invitation to getting killed horribly, regardless of intent.

I got headshot once for riding too close to someone else's wagon (wasn't trying to start anything, the GPS just took me there), and you know what? I deserved that

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
So, I was picking chantarelles down by Catfish Jackson's the other day...

Fucker came out of nowhere, jumped me and scared the living poo poo out of me. Turned out to be a three star. I threw him off, shot his head and now I only need a perfect cougar pelt to finish my collection of unique, handcrafted satchels.

Singleplayer is still good the second time around.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Still need another 3-Star Panther for the best saddle.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
:negative:

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Huh, dropped into a revenooer roadblock maybe 200 yards away from my camp (west of Blackwater) this morning. Followed by finding a random encounter about 350 yards out. And returning from a delivery to Thieve's Landing, I took the coastline to the little piers just north, and a kidnapped woman.

Hadn't run into jack for randoms in this area before, it's kind of nice.

Delivery to Wallace Station, and as I cross the Montana I have four NPC gang members spawn to try and ambush me - such a terrible choice. :black101: I think that's the first time that's ever happened, too - only other NPC hostiles I've run into on deliveries have been at the dropoff, or when I was horsing the partial load after wrecking the wagon.

Doesn't make up for there being so many people on the server that loving *trains* weren't spawning. :suicide: Riding back and forth along the tracks between Wallace Station and Bard's Leap, beginning at 2 AM game-time. Second time I got to Wallace I just kept going until I eventually left the tracks to take out a moonshine still at the firewatch tower up near the Roanoke border.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've been told you can sit on certain cliffs. I've never been able to find one.

You can sit on the cliff overlooking Manteca Falls near the spot where the Del Lobo camp hideout spawns (not the fishing shack hideout).

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Since it can't allow trains to collide, it won't spawn new trains if a player can see a train (note that there are two track loops independent of each other in the two halves of the map). So if you commandeer a train, no one else in your half of the map gets a train!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

FuturePastNow posted:

Since it can't allow trains to collide, it won't spawn new trains if a player can see a train (note that there are two track loops independent of each other in the two halves of the map). So if you commandeer a train, no one else in your half of the map gets a train!

I got on a train after a Trade Route event, but saw literally one bird (for the daily) for the ten minutes I rode it.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Weeee. One day short of my 28-day streak, and CenturyLink decides to poo poo up my DSL. Rockstar is really going all-out on Random Encounter fuckery. :smithicide:

I see (via Reddit posts) that one of today's dailies is "skin 20 animals"...

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Ygolonac posted:

I see (via Reddit posts) that one of today's dailies is "skin 20 animals"...

Yeah there weren't really any gimme's for today but there are a few simple ones. For shooting off hats on hostiles, get a wanted level and go for grazing headshots on police with a scoped rifle. If you "graze" a little too close to their actual heads there will be plenty more behind them for you to eventually get your 3 shots. Bounties are cheap online too so it was like 75c to pay off my murder spree.

For trampling enemies you can kill random NPCs horses that they're riding to turn them hostile. Work up some speed and charge them as they're getting up from the ground to get that one done relatively easily.

Then pet and feed your horse to get max honor again after brutally murdering 10+ people/horses in cold blood

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I did the 20 animal one earlier. The trick I found was to go near a body of water with ducks. They fly around in packs of 5 and are quick and easy to skin.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Grabbing five mints was easy enough, and paired up pretty well with cook three seasoned flaky fish.

It was nice for a while when animals spawned on the PC version, but now I see the same spawn problems I saw on the PS4 :(

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Hakarne posted:

shooting off hats

i have never gotten a headshot that wasn't immediately preceded by a hat shot

not even sure it's possible

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

p sure you can just kill a dude and then shoot the hat off of his corpse and it counts

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I had no trouble shooting hats off NPCs in Blackwater. I didn't even need to make them hostile first.

Tyler Whitney
Jan 21, 2020

Why don't you make it sing?

Ygolonac posted:

Ayup. Law of the West should be "Don't start nothin', won't be nothin'."

One of the random shooting contest stranger missions in single player is right outside Rhodes and I don't think I've ever been able to complete it without the sheriff arriving. For some reason it'll allow the farmers in the fields to trigger an alert on gunshots and they'll run for help.

Tyler Whitney fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 25, 2020

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If you get dailies to do things like lasso enemies, shoot off hats, etc and want a quick cheesy way to do them without starting some mission, go to Thieves' Landing. All the Del Lobos standing around are enemies instead of strangers.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I prefer to think of them as friends I haven't made yet

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

a hat shot is just a headshot BUT that teensy bit higher. i get lots of accidental ones where it would have scrambled their brains but they start running towards me at the last second. the lil double take touch their head thing they sometimes do is adorable

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

If you get dailies to do things like lasso enemies, shoot off hats, etc and want a quick cheesy way to do them without starting some mission, go to Thieves' Landing. All the Del Lobos standing around are enemies instead of strangers.

van horn as well. i swear that shithole exists just to singlehandedly massacre the whole town. its all setup like shooting alley 101 and that applies from almost anywhere in town.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Could be wrong, but I think maybe the chances of the revenue agents letting you pass is correlated with your honor. I say this because I've been doing some honor surfing, and as a bad guy I get stopped far more often.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

it takes real effort to maintain bad honour. no matter what poo poo i get up to I'm always way near max good guy

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Is trader really just “bring animals to camp”, “get supplies once a day” and “do extremely long wagon missions every once in a while for 50 bucks”

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Eventually you get a bigger wagon.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

yeah AND both the camp and the animals have lovely bugs too

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You’ll eventually get the option to spend several hundred dollars to increase the payout slightly.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Zesty posted:

You’ll eventually get the option to spend several hundred dollars to increase the payout slightly.

The large wagon pays for itself with two local deliveries, less with the Outlaw Pass voucher, and you can play Trade Route if you'd rather shoot bandits than animals. :shrug:

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
One positive of Trader is adding to the daily challenges. It’s nice to eat 3 camp stews and call it a day if I just want to keep my streak going.

(This assumes your camp isn’t bugged)

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Sleekly posted:

van horn as well. i swear that shithole exists just to singlehandedly massacre the whole town. its all setup like shooting alley 101 and that applies from almost anywhere in town.

For the NPC enemy quests like those I always just point a gun at the random travellers on the road, and as soon as it goes red do whatever it is you need to do. So today it was shoot their hat off, kill their horse and then run them over. And don't forget to loot them for the 8c they were holding.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Had this really weird glitch last night where animals actually spawned in Online.

Filled up the 20 Animals Skinned daily in no time and bagged me about 45 animals total in like 25 minutes tops. But it happened at the same time as another glitch where the entire menu of regions to pitch camp was grayed out so I couldn't donate all my stuff, I couldn't start any missions/activities to try and server hop, and there were supposedly other players but I didn't see them - only their horses standing around stock still like statues. I sat there haymakering one in the jaw for a while before selling all my 3 Star poo poo off at a butcher. I'm pretty sure I was in a strange limbo between Online and Disconnected. Maybe this is where the animals have been the whole time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Bloodcider posted:

Had this really weird glitch last night where animals actually spawned in Online.

Filled up the 20 Animals Skinned daily in no time and bagged me about 45 animals total in like 25 minutes tops. But it happened at the same time as another glitch where the entire menu of regions to pitch camp was grayed out so I couldn't donate all my stuff, I couldn't start any missions/activities to try and server hop, and there were supposedly other players but I didn't see them - only their horses standing around stock still like statues. I sat there haymakering one in the jaw for a while before selling all my 3 Star poo poo off at a butcher. I'm pretty sure I was in a strange limbo between Online and Disconnected. Maybe this is where the animals have been the whole time?

this happened to me too. a strange half dead world. there were a heap of skinner brothers frozen in position around Wallace station. Killable but they wouldn't react. I could just waltz up and do em gangland style. All of a sudden they all activated. Even the ones I'd killed got up and all needed to be put down again. never came across the player they were there for, i suspect he/she received a strangely quiet and easy mission.