Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

time to watch this again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

nine-gear crow posted:

Serious Post: If you bought X-Wing Alliance on Steam or GOG, then you should check out the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project or XWAUP. It's a still-ongoing total makeover of the game that takes all the janky 1990s models and replaces them with new highly detailed and textured ones and makes the game look great on modern systems.

Sad that it's only for XWA and not the original X-Wing/TIE Fighter/XvT, but it's better than nothing. Check it out. For your health.

There's been a couple of projects to remake TIE Fighter and X-Wing basically using the XWA mission building tools. I think they fizzled out and/or got C&D.

It's a shame these types of games aren't popular anymore. I bet a studio could make a loving GORGEOUS sci-fi flight sim today.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!
If anyone's looking to pick this up (and you should, it is the best) gog.com will give you three different versions if you buy it there. You want to play the 1995 version, NOT the 1998 one. No idea which of the three versions steam is selling.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I had a nice flight stick setup back in the day. IS XWing/TIE Fighter playable with mouse/keyboard?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Patiently awaiting for XWVM :vow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_XURopswY4

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

nine-gear crow posted:

Serious Post: If you bought X-Wing Alliance on Steam or GOG, then you should check out the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project or XWAUP. It's a still-ongoing total makeover of the game that takes all the janky 1990s models and replaces them with new highly detailed and textured ones and makes the game look great on modern systems.

Sad that it's only for XWA and not the original X-Wing/TIE Fighter/XvT, but it's better than nothing. Check it out. For your health.

I'm in my mid-30s and I remember looking at this project in high school. That's... something.

Also: X-Wing might be strictly inferior to TIE, but it was still really solid. It was the reason my dad upgraded our 286: the man from Babbage's said our computer wouldn't run it, and that was unacceptable.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tsed posted:

I'm in my mid-30s and I remember looking at this project in high school. That's... something.

Also: X-Wing might be strictly inferior to TIE, but it was still really solid. It was the reason my dad upgraded our 286: the man from Babbage's said our computer wouldn't run it, and that was unacceptable.

FWIW every couple of years they completely overhaul it with ever better versions of stuff. But yeah, it is kind of amazing that it's still updating with content in 2020.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Hook that poo poo directly into my veins.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV0VNDbqILY

The Rebel Galaxy devs pitched a modern Star Wars flight sim to EA in 2016 and were turned down. :(

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

It's wild to me that that genre now sits somewhere between "extremely niche" and "gently caress off", when back in the late 80s/early 90s it was a big one.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

sebzilla posted:

Looks like someone forgot about motherfuckin' Star Wars Episode I Racer

Hell yeah

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Ms Adequate posted:

It's wild to me that that genre now sits somewhere between "extremely niche" and "gently caress off", when back in the late 80s/early 90s it was a big one.

Video games became mainstream and if your game won't make all the money then don't even bother.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
This game was so much fun as a kid growing up with that Microsoft joystick. I remembered playing X-Wing vs Tie Fighter on the Zone too.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNUgfPwoskk

Eagerly waiting for both this and XWVM.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

OhFunny posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV0VNDbqILY

The Rebel Galaxy devs pitched a modern Star Wars flight sim to EA in 2016 and were turned down. :(

Huh, this looks like the same engine as Star Trek Legacy

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

I still prefer the older version that someone added music from KOTOR to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tBM2ZfncoU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

vmdvr posted:

If anyone's looking to pick this up (and you should, it is the best) gog.com will give you three different versions if you buy it there. You want to play the 1995 version, NOT the 1998 one. No idea which of the three versions steam is selling.

i think collector's cd-rom is the '95 version?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The Collectors one is the one to play.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I played the poo poo out of XW and TIE Fighter when I was a kid. There was a week I got sick in middle school and spent the whole time developing a 50 mission tour of duty in the XWing mission editor for a non-allied “Silver Squadron”. The first 10 missions had you ganking alliance and imperial tech in a Guerilla campaign before launching a mix of every unit in the game trying to take your own planet. :haw:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Ms Adequate posted:

It's not even that niche, something like No Man's Sky made a shitzillion dollars, and Chris Roberts has been bilking people for millions for like a decade at this point. There's certainly interest and desire for loving around in space and blowing poo poo up.

Developers just....don't make that game, by and large.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I always thought the logical follow-up to X-Wing and TIE Fighter would have been a Star Wars clone of Privateer. Let you play a gourad-shaded smuggler.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh this?

I guess you could say there's a story behind it

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei5b17A18jI

Says literally unplayable, but some parts look totally manageable really. Holy crap.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Mischievous Mink posted:

Says literally unplayable, but some parts look totally manageable really. Holy crap.

This looks like it could be a scene out of one of the JJ movies.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Casu Marzu posted:

I had a nice flight stick setup back in the day. IS XWing/TIE Fighter playable with mouse/keyboard?

I'm curious about this too. My first real game that I ever got into was X-Wing and when Tie Fighter came out I was just blown away. One of the first games to let you play the bad guy.

I mostly use my laptop so I don't want to hook up a joystick to it and I only ever played it with a mouse. I absolutely destroyed my mouse ball.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm curious about this too. My first real game that I ever got into was X-Wing and when Tie Fighter came out I was just blown away. One of the first games to let you play the bad guy.

I mostly use my laptop so I don't want to hook up a joystick to it and I only ever played it with a mouse. I absolutely destroyed my mouse ball.

Pretty sure this might be the best documented player out there, and they're using a mouse, or at least a combo, because it seems like turning quickly is hard with mouse. It's made worse by the fact that the joystick has a minimum input so you can't make very precise moves, even with a modern high-precision joystick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18AMNwKjPFI

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mischievous Mink posted:

Did they have to up the projectile limit? I remember that being relatively low.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

zoux posted:

Oh this?

I guess you could say there's a story behind it

It's funny because my tattoo is very similar but by my math it's missing an arm. (2/3)/(3/4) is 88%. Just saying. Maybe together we can find an extra 14%?

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Charles posted:

It's made worse by the fact that the joystick has a minimum input so you can't make very precise moves, even with a modern high-precision joystick.

That seems to explain a lot. Everytime I've gotten back into the X-wing series over recent years I've found it immensely difficult because of the major dead zones when I want to minutely adjust my target. It's the worst when your very far out and lining up an incoming target (who's also lining you up).

I always blamed my joystick, because I swear it was not like this back in the day.

Is this all X-wing series or just Tie Fighter?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Isometric Bacon posted:

That seems to explain a lot. Everytime I've gotten back into the X-wing series over recent years I've found it immensely difficult because of the major dead zones when I want to minutely adjust my target. It's the worst when your very far out and lining up an incoming target (who's also lining you up).

I always blamed my joystick, because I swear it was not like this back in the day.

Is this all X-wing series or just Tie Fighter?

At least XW and TF, I don't think the Windows games have this issue, but I haven't played in a while.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I still prefer the older version that someone added music from KOTOR to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tBM2ZfncoU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU

edit: Ah, missed that someone actually did post this...well, here's this, then: Project materials, including character dossiers and other amusing things.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I remember in the dos era it was near unplayable with mouse+kb because you'd need to run the mouse across your entire desk multiple times to say do a loop. Acceleration might fix that.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

ah, finally the best star wars

Excellent Work -- Alpha 1. The Emperor Will Be Pleased.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Mischievous Mink posted:

And I thought a Super Star Destroyer vs 5 Mon Cal Cruisers was ambitious in XWA's editor.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Kind of weird that the ultimate star fighter in TIE Fighter wasn’t a type of TIE Fighter.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Dr Christmas posted:

Kind of weird that the ultimate star fighter in TIE Fighter wasn’t a type of TIE Fighter.

Weird to call the TIE Interceptor not a type of TIE fighter.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Coolness Averted posted:

I remember in the dos era it was near unplayable with mouse+kb because you'd need to run the mouse across your entire desk multiple times to say do a loop. Acceleration might fix that.

drag slam drag slam drag slam

now back the other way

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah i remember running the mouse like crazy doing this as a wee lad and it's what motivated me to get (beg parents for) a joystick

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I beat the game on mouse and keyboard. Dogfighting TIE Defenders was hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
It was great up until the expansion pack that introduced the TIE Defender, which was overpowered and dumb. There, I said it. :colbert: