Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

P much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Endorph posted:

'how am i supposed to remember what follows what'

just play

easiest answer, hardest solution for most people

no matter what they do to a game to make it easier you're still going to have to play it to get better at something, like matchups. most accessibility crybaby people online just want to win without actually playing the game (regardless of how they present their view) and nothing will ever actually make them happy enough to play the games they cry about.

Madmarker posted:

I really wonder why making fighting games "accessible" is such a holy grail for the devs; Any game where two people are trying to defeat each other with little to no variance is going to be inaccessible by its very nature.

If you want to make an accessible fighting game, make a good fighting game, with some fun finger puzzles and depth, with pretty graphics and some awesome cinematic moves that are easy to input (but easy to avoid with basic game knowledge like blocking) and base it all off a popular IP.

For extra points throw in some good, rock solid netcode, so that people can actually play the game.

first i want to just say that gg has zero accessibility problem stopping newbies from trying it out, it has a reputation problem. the tutorial modes in xrd could be presented easily as a rebuttal for anyone saying the game is impossible to learn or that the game doesnt give you tools to improve. these combined with replays mean there is nobody to blame but yourself for failing to improve. turns out that this is actually worse because the same people who present their argument as wanting accessibility just want free wins handed to them and with nobody left to blame but themselves they just reject the whole thing.

i think that fighting game devs and the big ppl at the top are delusional when it comes to attracting new players. a lot of them are just relics that were around during SF2 or after its decline and remember/saw the impact of arcades packed to the brim just to play SF2. I mean SF2 was so popular that they redid the sega genesis controller and launched a special edition of the console packed with 2 controllers and SF2. sf2 was really some lightning in a bottle poo poo tho. the new dev idea is so simple, "we know the player base is here why arent they playing anymore? maybe our games are too hard" while ignoring the fact you stated, that 1v1 competitive games are dead everywhere in every genre and its incredibly niche. Instead of leaning in to it and appealing to their niche market, a lot of devs try to cast the widest net to the lowest common denominator.

this development approach seems common across all genres now and even among former big brain online talkers turned devs

and I cant of course post about this without posting this image,

sirlin made this image, then he went on to make fantasy strike. god is dead.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
BBTAG has some success tbf. They actually redesigned their game appropriately to be casually fun (it's way too anime to get any bigger in the west tho)

It's a totally different animal though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

BBtag is probably a good example of a fun game that has all the accessibility buzzwords (universal special/super commands, one button DPs, auto combos) but is also filled to the brim with competitively hosed up bullshit that is hard to learn, and to top it all off the damage is insanely high. if it had better lobbies id play it a lot more, i love bbtag.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:

In Training posted:

BBtag is probably a good example of a fun game that has all the accessibility buzzwords (universal special/super commands, one button DPs, auto combos) but is also filled to the brim with competitively hosed up bullshit that is hard to learn, and to top it all off the damage is insanely high. if it had better lobbies id play it a lot more, i love bbtag.

Really the only thing holding it back is the character selection. They're not bad, just if they were from more popular franchises like, I don't know, Marvel, and Capcom, that's be a good pick, it'd probably be doing gangbusters.
Just, Capcom, please, oh please, hire the BBTag team to make MVC4, I beg of you, pick someone besides Dimps. PLEASE.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

chumbler posted:

Issues with the gameplay aside, Granblue at least does seem to be doing a lot of the right things external to the gameplay to hold or grow an audience.

None of that matters because the real reason it's gonna sell is you get more than the game's price worth of in-game currency for the mobile game, so if you're a whale the game's not just free, it's actually free money.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

In Training posted:

In my trying-to-get-my-friends-to-play-fighting-games-with-me experience, one of the most important things for a new player is the feeling that they’re doing cool poo poo. BBTAG makes it very easy to do cool flashy stuff, even if you’re still going to get ripped in half by a more experienced player. Perhaps more importantly, it does a good job encouraging players to do more than just mash one single autocombo button, which gets boring fast.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
I will buy almost every fighting game available in whatever system i have at the moment (right now that means pc only) and i'm completely poo poo at all of them. ´
One thing that devs don't realize is that people like me don't want a simplified game, i don't want games with less options, with 2 moves per character and with only a couple of playstyles. The guilty gear series is my favourite and all the insanity it allows in gameplay terms is a big part of why.
That said simplified inputs would be a bless, if, and only if, the gameplay is exactly the same. I understand that sometimes motions are used as a balancing mechanism but i'm sure there is some workaround ( granblue cooldowns may partially accomplish this?).´
I don't mind losing by missing a input, or even not being able to do optimal, flashy combos, but gating basic necessities for the game behind execution requirements (tekken movement i'm looking at you) feels awful.´
I respect the people who think execution is at the core of fighting games, and even agree partially , but it is a serious turn-off for most people i try to teach.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mr. Locke posted:

Every time I think I want to try and describe the plot of Guilty Gear to somebody, I think of the scene where Zappa explains to Leo how Magic works using intermediate music theory, a heaping helping of noun soup, and glossing over a bunch of incredibly dense ideas rooted in theoretical physics. All after establishing that this is all common knowledge most school children would know in the setting-

"You'll just have to see it for yourself, I guess."
My favorite plot point in the entirety of Guilty Gear is that Dr. Paradigm is a wizard that's also an aquatic reptile. So in Guilty Gear 2 he travels around using a floating bubble that he conjured with magic to be full of water.

Inbetween 2 and Xrd, Sin goes up to him and goes

"So you're a hyper powerful wizard, right?"
"Yes."
"And you can't breathe air, so you go around in a bubble."
"Yeah."
"So why don't you just use magic to make yourself breathe air?"
"That's stupid, it wouldn't possibly work, watch..."

and then Paradigm tries it and it works instantly and he realizes he's wasted the last three hundred years of his life being basically wheelchair bound when he didn't have to be.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

Endorph posted:

My favorite plot point in the entirety of Guilty Gear is that Dr. Paradigm is a wizard that's also an aquatic reptile. So in Guilty Gear 2 he travels around using a floating bubble that he conjured with magic to be full of water.

Inbetween 2 and Xrd, Sin goes up to him and goes

"So you're a hyper powerful wizard, right?"
"Yes."
"And you can't breathe air, so you go around in a bubble."
"Yeah."
"So why don't you just use magic to make yourself breathe air?"
"That's stupid, it wouldn't possibly work, watch..."

and then Paradigm tries it and it works instantly and he realizes he's wasted the last three hundred years of his life being basically wheelchair bound when he didn't have to be.

:allears:

guilty gear is love

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

HerniaFlange posted:

Really the only thing holding it back is the character selection. They're not bad, just if they were from more popular franchises like, I don't know, Marvel, and Capcom, that's be a good pick, it'd probably be doing gangbusters.
Just, Capcom, please, oh please, hire the BBTag team to make MVC4, I beg of you, pick someone besides Dimps. PLEASE.

for whatever it's worth dimps had nothing to do with MVCI, it was some kind of mysterious "in house team at capcom".

why they didn't get eighting, the people who made mvc3 and pretty much every licensed anime fighter with a bit of meat on its bones vs just being a cutscene simulator (including unlimited codes, a game so real capcom published it), to do it is the real question

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

eighting sometimes accidentally makes a good game, and 'a good game' wasnt part of the infinite vision

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUS/status/1219635765719838721?s=19

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Put it on PC, bamco.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
There are... definitely a lot of Leroy players in Tekken EVO Japan right now

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Evo Tekken loving suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

Edit: as I say that, a non Leroy match. Nice.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

EVO Japan's had some good SamSho and even though ugly wifebeater was regrettably let in at all, he got the boot in semis, which means I'm nothing but hyped for finals.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Soul Cal finals were hype. Right now the very last non-Leroy game of Tekken is being played, top 8 is: 6 Leroys, 1 Julia, and either Kazumi or Ganryu depending on the winner of Saint v Ulsan.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://twitter.com/soulcalibur/status/1220951029543342080

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

darealkooky posted:

why they didn't get eighting, the people who made mvc3 and pretty much every licensed anime fighter with a bit of meat on its bones vs just being a cutscene simulator (including unlimited codes, a game so real capcom published it), to do it is the real question

8ing got bought out by a VR conglomerate and they do far less contract work nowadays.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Jesus gently caress Shizumaru

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Some of those moves out of Wan Fu were so good.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Leroy is trending on twitter lmao

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

And here I thought Mitsurugi had been in Soul Calibur from the start. Better luck on the next one, bamco.

PS Put in KOS-MOS.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Unlucky7 posted:

Jesus gently caress Shizumaru

I hate playing against Shizumaru more than any other character in the game, and I say that as a Darli player who is bad at the Ukyo matchup.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Samsho season 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0s85J_CGXQ

Mina (SS5)
Sogetsu (SS3)
Iroha (SS6)
[MYSTERY]

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 25, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

EVO Japan's had some good SamSho and even though ugly wifebeater was regrettably let in at all, he got the boot in semis, which means I'm nothing but hyped for finals.

imo even letting him in taints the competition inherently and makes it impossible to enjoy. like we shouldnt have to rely on someone being better at a video game than a wifebeater in order to avoid having to see a wifebeater play

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Infiltration is in top 8 for SFV

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wasnt he supposed to be banned from that

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Only for a year, I thought.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jesus

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Noel Brown only got a year-long ban from CPT when he groped that girl in plain view of the camera, even the venue banned him longer than they did.

Most if not all the people with lifelong bans from Evo got them for leaking poo poo about Capcom games.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Way back when, Dark Prince did catch a lifetime EVO ban by threatening to stab someone, but if he showed up, I doubt anyone would stop him

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean, would you want to get stabbed

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
if youre gonna not watch any game with criminal scumbags in the running youre not gonna watch anything

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
gently caress Infiltration and gently caress everyone who defends him because he's good at pushing buttons. Also gently caress everyone else in the scene who acts like that.

Why does Mina have an eye patch now? Is her weird little dog buddy a homonculus that used the missing eye as a starter?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

dangerdoom volvo posted:

if youre gonna not watch any game with criminal scumbags in the running youre not gonna watch anything

the domestic abuser defender has logged on

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh hell yeah.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

All of my energy is going to that Julia player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

All the "haha top 8 is going to be nothing but leroy" jokes after he was first announced are a lot less funny now