Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
First thoughts are that it seems like a slightly more complicated version of hearthstone or a less complicated version of mtg:a, both of which are good. The interface feels a little clunkier than HS as a result but the general sound and video design is super polished and stylised in a way that feels like it’s own game from what little I know of LoL.

I haven’t gone past the tutorials so I haven’t tried pvp or expeditions but it feels good so far. I’ve been a bit off hs lately so I’m glad this is coming out now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Worth noting that Expedition failure is 2 consecutive losses. So if you lose a game and win the next one, you get your loss back.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If you want a good expedition draft I'd recommend grabbing buffs or anything that can ruin someones plan, being able to trick someone into a bad trade by suddenly changing stats around or having a big boy deter attacks is so huge in this game it seems.

I think this is a pretty good summery of how to succeed, and it's also kind of the game's mission statement. It's a game about proposing a trade, and then playing combat tricks to turn things drastically in your favor.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Just added Reddit xp spreadsheet.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

First thoughts are that it seems like a slightly more complicated version of hearthstone or a less complicated version of mtg:a, both of which are good. The interface feels a little clunkier than HS as a result but the general sound and video design is super polished and stylised in a way that feels like it’s own game from what little I know of LoL.

I haven’t gone past the tutorials so I haven’t tried pvp or expeditions but it feels good so far. I’ve been a bit off hs lately so I’m glad this is coming out now

I think it's much more complicated to play than HS because of the lack of summoning sickness, the fact that your minions can both block and attack in the same round, and the fact that at the start of your attack turn, (assuming you have minions on the board) you have to decide if you want to attack with those minions and stop the opponent from playing minions or play minions and then be surprised by the opponent. It's hard to compare it to MtGA because it has way less cards and less ways of playing but Kibler noted that MtGA drafts are a pain because you can have to wait so long to actually play and then wait a long time for your turn. Runeterra solves this nicely.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I like the emotes. Seems like it would be hard to do much BM with the current ones, and I'm sure they'll have more unlocks for customization ala Eternal in the future.

Some of the attack animations are a little bit extra though, and I can foresee them getting a little old. I have to admit watching some huge extravagant lovingly rendered axe animation wipe my entire board made me pretty salty.

Really though I just want ANY card game that ISN'T Hearthstone, Magic, or anime/kiddy bullshit (Pokemon, Yu-gi-oh, Shadowverse) to actually catch on and really thrive. I've been willing to try all the contenders! So far Eternal was my favorite, but I can tell that it's not getting any bigger and is on a slow decline. You know what my old favorite was? Might and Magic: Duel of Champions. :rip:

I would LOVE if this were the game that finally made a bunch of people quit Hearthstone. It might be a little weird and complicated for those folks, though, but Riot has the talent and the deep pockets and the fan base to have a better chance than most.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 25, 2020

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Question, in the shop the prices are listed in Euro's not in dollars. My account should be in the US. How do I change this?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Imagined posted:

I like the emotes. Seems like it would be hard to do much BM with the current ones, and I'm sure they'll have more unlocks for customization ala Eternal in the future.

Some of the attack animations are a little bit extra though, and I can foresee them getting a little old. I have to admit watching some huge extravagant lovingly rendered axe animation wipe my entire board made me pretty salty.

Really though I just want ANY card game that ISN'T Hearthstone, Magic, or anime/kiddy bullshit (Pokemon, Yu-gi-oh, Shadowverse) to actually catch on and really thrive. I've been willing to try all the contenders! So far Eternal was my favorite, but I can tell that it's not getting any bigger and is on a slow decline. You know what my old favorite was? Might and Magic: Duel of Champions. :rip:

I would LOVE if this were the game that finally made a bunch of people quit Hearthstone. It might be a little weird and complicated for those folks, though, but Riot has the talent and the deep pockets and the fan base to have a better chance than most.

i love anime, and kiddy bullshit, but i agree with this. i really like the presentation of legends of runeterra, even from the very start just in the main menu seeing the incredible artwork. as a long time league player and someone who was on hearthstone for a hot minute, this is very promising to me and i hope this really takes off

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

If we are lamenting digital ccgs that never got serious legs the runescape game was friggin good as hell gameplay wise although the progression was a bit rough if you sucked at drafting

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

General Morden posted:

i tried to buy the starter pack but my store is based off of the turkish lira for some reason and i can't change it

Submit a ticket. I was assigned to the EU region (euro) instead of OCE (aud) because my account got hacked a few years back (and transferred) and I only recently noticed it and had it switched back. I submitted a ticket last night and it was fixed about 2 hours ago.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

good emotes imo. not sure how to go about upgrading the starter decks, anyone have recommendations?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

If we are lamenting digital ccgs that never got serious legs the runescape game was friggin good as hell gameplay wise although the progression was a bit rough if you sucked at drafting

I fuckin loved Chronicles and I wish it was still a real game.

The only problem I've run into with this game so far is that the progression feels a little hosed up. After you do your dailies you might as well just wait until the next day if you're looking to earn new stuff.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If you want a good expedition draft I'd recommend grabbing buffs or anything that can ruin someones plan, being able to trick someone into a bad trade by suddenly changing stats around or having a big boy deter attacks is so huge in this game it seems.

Not expedition just regular but I managed to turn a match around against someone that had a really stacked They Who Endure that was super buffed because I used the 2 mana spell that removes all text. Purify is great!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Anything that can delete a strong boy is very valuable and it's always sad to go against a ionia deck and they deny your game swinging 8+ mana spell.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Zotix posted:

Question, in the shop the prices are listed in Euro's not in dollars. My account should be in the US. How do I change this?

Go into your account settings, and you're able to see which region/shard you're assigned to. If they're not the right ones, send support a ticket and they can fix it up. Just be warned that apparently you lose all progress if you switch shards (regions are okay though) so you'll need to do everything again.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Phoix posted:

I fuckin loved Chronicles and I wish it was still a real game.

The counter-gameplay felt so complex within a really simple system so even though it had some really bad balance issues there was still a lot of reward in playing weird home brews that could seriously compete up to a certain point. I think I took a short break for whatever reason and when I got back it was just dead

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I had to rage quit the tutorials for this bc of the overkill mechanic (I can’t remember the name) tutorial with Darius where you can deal lethal damage but the game is scripted to only resolve the tutorial if you do it a certain way but I came back to it and figured it out after smoking some weed about it.

I’d say they should patch it out but it’s a good lesson in ordering and the way stacking and ordering works outside of the actual literal stack for spells, it was just delivered in the most annoying way possible and I wasn’t even noticing the subtle hints it was giving me about upgrading Darius bc I was mad that I failed it with lethal damage

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 25, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
This game is much more fun to play than I thought it would be. But I also had an op expedition deck (a dozen challengers in shadow isles and Demacia + warmother's call - challenger is just op, even moreso than elusive). I think the heavy algorithmic nature of expedition is going to become a huge problem soonish. My main complaint is that it's not at all clear which cards belong to which faction which will make learning to play around things take longer than it should.

As for constructed, why bother for now. You can do your quests vs AI!!!!

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

I hope this game takes off (seems like it will) because it's pretty fun to play. I like how snappy things feel.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Game is shockingly good and as a long time LoL fan I'm pleased.

Running a Spider based deck for the moment. It's doing pretty well for me so far, Elise just wins games once you level her.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I had to rage quit the tutorials for this bc of the overkill mechanic (I can’t remember the name) tutorial with Darius where you can deal lethal damage but the game is scripted to only resolve the tutorial if you do it a certain way but I came back to it and figured it out after smoking some weed about it.

I’d say they should patch it out but it’s a good lesson in ordering and the way stacking and ordering works outside of the actual literal stack for spells, it was just delivered in the most annoying way possible and I wasn’t even noticing the subtle hints it was giving me about upgrading Darius bc I was mad that I failed it with lethal damage

So... your mad at the tutorial for teaching you something you didn't know that you can apply in actual games via ordering so a unit gets buffed before it's turn comes?

I failed the final step on that too, but it sets you back on the exact same turn and tells you what you should do differently, it was a actually good tutorial and reminder for future games about order during combat.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I didn't realize there was an alternative solution. Was it to only attack with one unit?

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
If it's the one I'm thinking about you have to attack in a particular order, actions happen from left to right so you overkill to take the nexus down to 10, which levels up the guy and he attacks to finish it.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Tornhelm posted:

Go into your account settings, and you're able to see which region/shard you're assigned to. If they're not the right ones, send support a ticket and they can fix it up. Just be warned that apparently you lose all progress if you switch shards (regions are okay though) so you'll need to do everything again.

Hmm. Wish I knew about that before I played on my account.

Really makes me not want to play this game anymore!

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

dudeness posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking about you have to attack in a particular order, actions happen from left to right so you overkill to take the nexus down to 10, which levels up the guy and he attacks to finish it.

At no point prior to this in the tutorials does the game explain to you that attack order matters and triggered abilities can happen mid-combat before that ally has struck the enemy blocker/nexus, so I was stuck here for a bit too.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Yes, that tutorial is the only one that's a bit unintuitive because the game does not tell you (or if it does, I missed it), that the attack order resolves from left to right, instead of being simultaneous like Magic.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

General Morden posted:

Hmm. Wish I knew about that before I played on my account.

Really makes me not want to play this game anymore!

To be honest, apart from the regional pricing, it probably doesn't really make a difference which shard you're on. CCGs are a lot more forgiving when it comes to playing with a higher ping than most other games.

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 25, 2020

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Does Noxus have anything good people have found to abuse or are they considered sorta bottom tier since they are mostly just the overwhelm guys?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Are there ant good content creators you guys have found for LoT?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Does Noxus have anything good people have found to abuse or are they considered sorta bottom tier since they are mostly just the overwhelm guys?

I'm playing a noxus/p&z aggro deck, it seems ok, draven synergizes pretty well with jinx with the discards.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Zotix posted:

Are there ant good content creators you guys have found for LoT?

Swim is pretty good, has decent videos aimed for beginners, has guides for cheap meta decks and upgraded starter decks.

This video is pretty helpful for starters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_xeAB2gepo

Also Phreak (yes, that Phreak) is pretty popular as well, but I've not seen much from him.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

That 8 mana +8/+4 buff is a serious beast in expeditions. I won 4 of my 7 games due to playing it on something with overwhelm.

It's even more hilarious if you have a leveled up Karma though. Karma in general is my most wanted champion for the real game because I'm all about that RNG life.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Noxus has some of the best cheap champions in the game. Spiders+Elise are a solid low-cost aggro plan that will steal games; Draven on his own is a nasty 3 drop that wins on attack more often than not and gets good synergy with anything that makes champions strike or enjoys discarding; Katarina is almost impossible to kill if played right and constantly lets the person playing her attack twice and sometimes even three times a turn if they have mana to keep other things alive. The only Noxus champion who is actually odd here is Darius, who is in theory a tempo deck finisher that unfortunately just doesn't match up to many other cards for what he does. Keeping 5 health after transforming is awkward.

Vlad is also a bit of an odd duck, but he works will with Regenerators and he's got an entire set of followers who are specifically designed to work with him. Generally this is true of each champion, they'll have thematic followers in their faction but Vlad has a really obvious set that put in a lot of work on their own as far as synergy goes.

I'd actually say from memories of the initial testing phase, Demacia is the weakest faction, they don't have enough elites for an elite only deck to really work, Lux needs other factions to really function because Demacia's spells are not always fantastic for what she wants to do, Garen is an okay beef but doesn't really offer anything outside of an above average body that is hard to kill (which other factions either do better or with more synergy using basic units); Fiora and Lucian both did okay, with Fiora having one of the most obnoxious decks outside Teemo Shrooms and Lucian being really good paired with Shadow Isles.

The only faction with every champion having a proven functional home is Freljord from memory.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I bought the Starter Bundle because I've already gotten 5 bucks of enjoyment out of this game. Does it just automatically put the cards into your collection or do you have to open it somewhere?

quote:

Teemo Shrooms

Really looking forward to putting this deck together because it just screams "I'm a big loving rear end in a top hat here to waste your time."

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

1stGear posted:

Really looking forward to putting this deck together because it just screams "I'm a big loving rear end in a top hat here to waste your time."

This is also what playing Teemo in League is.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Does anyone know if the starter bundle is good value? I'm seeing some conflicting ideas online.

I decided to buy 1000 coins because I like the game and I tend to only buy stuff like this once so I need to make them last.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

njsykora posted:

This is also what playing Teemo in League is.

yes, there is some excellent ludic symmetry here

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

1stGear posted:

I bought the Starter Bundle because I've already gotten 5 bucks of enjoyment out of this game. Does it just automatically put the cards into your collection or do you have to open it somewhere?

Just throws the cards in there.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Eternal was and is an absolutely fantastic game that doesn't seem to have gained tons of traction. Elder Scrolls Legends was as well back when the same devs were making it.

Anyway I hope LoR takes off because it's a lot of fun and brings some new stuff to the formula and the polish/presentation are great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Tornhelm posted:

To be honest, apart from the regional pricing, it probably doesn't really make a difference which shard you're on. CCGs are a lot more forgiving when it comes to playing with a higher ping than most other games.

I can't play with my friends because they're on the NA shard.

Also I got pretty good rolls on the free rewards and now I'm going to lose all of that stuff!