Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Just drive everything and be a picky bastard. Also don’t forget about the veloster n if you can deal with it’s goofiness.

I bought the N last month and I absolutely love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The clutch on the Focus ST is pretty light, if a bit vague like every other clutch working with a dual mass flywheel. It's a bit heavier than something like a Miata, '14+ Mazda 3 or a Civic, but it's also pretty forgiving.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

angryrobots posted:

The new Corolla hatchback has a 6 speed that is apparently really nice. I guess not that long ago 168 hp would have been a hot hatch but... It's really difficult for me to give up my XRS Matrix for something with similar-ish power with 400lbs more to lug around.

Please Toyota put a hairdryer on it. :pray: Or let Yamaha wave their magic wand in that direction again.

I wonder if I can swap that gearbox into my vibe gt

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Dunno if you're serious but from reading reviews, a lot of what makes it good is the downshift rev-matching. I really doubt it will play Toyota Lego across several generations.

Do you dislike the C60? It's not the worst crash-box for an economy car.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

angryrobots posted:

The new Corolla hatchback has a 6 speed that is apparently really nice. I guess not that long ago 168 hp would have been a hot hatch but... It's really difficult for me to give up my XRS Matrix for something with similar-ish power with 400lbs more to lug around.

Please Toyota put a hairdryer on it. :pray: Or let Yamaha wave their magic wand in that direction again.

The shifter and clutch are nice but the engine is so gutless it’s not even worth it. From what I understand the CVT that Toyota has in it is pretty good with a real first gear that goes into CVT mode after that. Kinda want to drive one just to see how it feels, savagegeese seemed to really like it.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Just drive everything and be a picky bastard. Also don’t forget about the veloster n if you can deal with it’s goofiness.

local Hyundai dealership wanted me to fill out a credit application to drive a $30,000 Veloster N

I promptly walked the gently caress off

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MunchE posted:

local Hyundai dealership wanted me to fill out a credit application to drive a $30,000 Veloster N

Yeah, our local Hyundai dealer wanted a credit app to test drive a $14K used Genesis. The salesman was a total cocksucker about it but the GM attends our cars & coffee events and we're pretty friendly so I went over cocksucker's head and got to drive it anyways.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MunchE posted:

That's when you tell them you're paying cash then there's no excuse for it at all.

I always say I'm paying cash with no trade in whether I am or not, that way there's no discussion about financing or trade ins until you know for sure it's the car you want.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Applebees Appetizer posted:

That's when you tell them you're paying cash then there's no excuse for it at all.

I always say I'm paying cash with no trade in whether I am or not, that way there's no discussion about financing or trade ins until you know for sure it's the car you want.

I wasn't that excited about the car in the first place. Last thing I'm going to do is jump through hoops to prove to them I can afford $30,000. It's their job to make me want to give them money, not my job to make them want to sell me poo poo.

Hilariously Kia had no such scruples letting me drive a $50,000 Stinger GT, nor Ford with a Mustang GT, nor Audi with an S4. Eat poo poo Hyundai dealer!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

oh weird maybe living in buffalo actually sucks

If big cities were so great, people living there wouldn't feel the need to take potshots like this. :c00lbert:

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
The blend door actuator in my FiST is clicking again. I've had it replaced 3 times now with less than 60k on the car... Is there an easy way to just disconnect it? becuase gently caress that thing.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
youd think there would be an aftermarket or revised part for that car. is it the outer ones or the one you gotta pull the whole dash for?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
earlier conversation re: gti and si - does the new si still require a tune to get rid of rev hang? that would piss me off a lot

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sneakyfrog posted:

youd think there would be an aftermarket or revised part for that car. is it the outer ones or the one you gotta pull the whole dash for?

When I replaced mine the new unit was significantly thicker, like almost twice the width, so I assume there is some kind of new part out there. Only had the car for another 5k miles past that though so no idea if it would have lasted any longer.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I tried that with another attempt to test an N, and the sales manager told me he’d allow it if I handed over my credit card to him while I was on a test drive with another salesman.

:wtc:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Bentai posted:

I tried that with another attempt to test an N, and the sales manager told me he’d allow it if I handed over my credit card to him while I was on a test drive with another salesman.

:wtc:

It took me four dealerships to find one that would let me test-drive the N without agreeing to terms or a credit check first. For whatever reason they’re really weird about that car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

korean brand dealerships are universally poo poo in whatever ways it's possible to be poo poo

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice
This is actually a big issue for Hyundai. The cars have vastly improved but the dealer network is still lagging years behind. They treat a lot of customers like a scummy but-here/pay-here used lot. My wife and I bought two new Hyundai’s a few months back and the shopping experience was a little gross.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

MourningGlory posted:

This is actually a big issue for Hyundai. The cars have vastly improved but the dealer network is still lagging years behind. They treat a lot of customers like a scummy but-here/pay-here used lot. My wife and I bought two new Hyundai’s a few months back and the shopping experience was a little gross.

Yup I had an Elantra and gf had an Accent and service was always a headache. Tried 3 different dealers in our area.

At the end of the day the Veloster N didn't seem cool enough that I'd want to pay that price for it anyhow, blue and red color scheme be damned.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

MourningGlory posted:

I 95% agree. I’ve had one good experience (the dealer I bought my car at), the rest have been scummy as gently caress.

After moving to Ohio, I got an oil change done and it took two tries before I concluded they couldn’t not way overfill the oil and I went elsewhere.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

genesis dealer rollout has been... exciting, for that reason

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

SEGA rear end Fisting posted:

The blend door actuator in my FiST is clicking again. I've had it replaced 3 times now with less than 60k on the car... Is there an easy way to just disconnect it? becuase gently caress that thing.

off topic but I owned a 2nd gen Taurus SHO and the blend door actuators on those were almost always hosed up. lmao ford

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

genesis dealer rollout has been... exciting, for that reason

One of the only genesis dealers in the broader metro area is the same dealer than can’t do an oil change to save their lives. Worries me deeply...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've been super impressed with Lexus dealers since we started owning them. Makes me want to buy another one.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How many Lexus dealers do you own now!?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

How many Lexus dealers do you own now!?

AA is rich as gently caress, them things print money

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol I wish

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I drove 30 minutes right after work to check out a super cheap 2015 FiST and it was a loving SMOKERS CAR GODDAMN IT

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Rhyno posted:

I drove 30 minutes right after work to check out a super cheap 2015 FiST and it was a loving SMOKERS CAR GODDAMN IT

did it have burns all over? Would not ozone take care of it?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I thought you bought a truck

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KakerMix posted:

did it have burns all over? Would not ozone take care of it?

I saw three burns and the plastics were all hazy and felt gross to touch. The stench was overpowering when I opened the door. I should have know the price was too good to be true. And after the truck kerfuffle I even asked ahead of time if it had been smoked in and was told no.

There's a 2014 with reasonably low miles for $8400 about an hour and a half away. I shot them an email and a friend of mine is going to stop by and look at it for me tomorrow.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I saw three burns and the plastics were all hazy and felt gross to touch. The stench was overpowering when I opened the door. I should have know the price was too good to be true. And after the truck kerfuffle I even asked ahead of time if it had been smoked in and was told no.

There's a 2014 with reasonably low miles for $8400 about an hour and a half away. I shot them an email and a friend of mine is going to stop by and look at it for me tomorrow.

Yeah gently caress every bit of that. I would not mess around with trying to get out that stink and filth.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah I will never waste time on a smoked car again. There's two FiSTs in town but neither has the Recaros and that's a deal breaker for me.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The xB I have now was a smokers car, but I just bought it because i needed a car (the rental car was taken back) it had low miles and I was sick of looking at cars.

The ozone machine worked well but didn't completely remove the smell, I can still smell it especially on hot days which in Florida is a lot lol. Burns in the seats and on the door panels, and the silver plastic trim had a weird dirty film on it that took hours of scrubbing with a magic eraser to get off.

I'm currently looking for another xB to replace it, after having it for awhile now it's pretty clear the PO didn't take very good care of it even tho it has very low miles.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Yeah I will never waste time on a smoked car again. There's two FiSTs in town but neither has the Recaros and that's a deal breaker for me.

I love the FiST/FoST Recaros- definitely divisive but they feel snug and comfortable to me

The xB I have now was a smokers car, but I just bought it because i needed a car (the rental car was taken back) it had low miles and I was sick of looking at cars.

The ozone machine worked well but didn't completely remove the smell, I can still smell it especially on hot days which in Florida is a lot lol. Burns in the seats and on the door panels, and the silver plastic trim had a weird dirty film on it that took hours of scrubbing with a magic eraser to get off.

I'm currently looking for another xB to replace it, after having it for awhile now it's pretty clear the PO didn't take very good care of it even tho it has very low miles.

Like what's the optimal-interior-volume-to-size boxmobile now that the Element and xB are gone? The Kia Soul?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Monkey Fracas posted:

I love the FiST/FoST Recaros- definitely divisive but they feel snug and comfortable to me

I've driven cars with both seat options now, the recaros fit me perfectly so I can't go without them now. I've very suddenly gotten over being attached to cars so my requirement of a super low miles FiSt went out the window.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

Like what's the optimal-interior-volume-to-size boxmobile now that the Element and xB are gone? The Kia Soul?

Yeah the Soul is it, although I think it's a bit smaller, my friend has one and it just doesn't seem as roomy to me. There's really no way for me to get the utility I have with an xB unless I get an SUV which I really don't want to do. I'm trying to find the newest, lowest mileage xB I can find right now and it's not easy, even the 15's (last year made) tend to have a lot of miles on them. I had a bead on one with 11k miles on it but it got sold out from under me.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Yeah the Soul is it, although I think it's a bit smaller, my friend has one and it just doesn't seem as roomy to me. There's really no way for me to get the utility I have with an xB unless I get an SUV which I really don't want to do. I'm trying to find the newest, lowest mileage xB I can find right now and it's not easy, even the 15's (last year made) tend to have a lot of miles on them. I had a bead on one with 11k miles on it but it got sold out from under me.

I keep thinking about getting a Mazda 5 and taking the middle seats out of it for a tiny cargo van. It even has little adorable sliding doors! Came with a manual for a while as well but that was disco'd a few years before they actually stopped selling it in the US.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Mazda5 is cool too but those are all way up there in mileage now.

I kinda gave up on the hot hatch idea, none of them impressed me enough to spend the money, so I'll just have an xB for my daily and get a Miata to have fun in for less money than it would cost me for a used GTI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

as an ex smoker i did not understand people who fuckin smoked in their cars