Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

If you're expecting consistency from noodlers.....

[Ski guy from South Park]

Yer gunna have a bad time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lowness 72 posted:

I'm still mad that he changed the two Roses inks. My samples were markedly different from the bottles.

He claims it's intentional: if he's ever called in to authenticate a document, the different batches will look slightly different, so he could claim "this document uses batch 42 of Crankcase Crimson, which I didn't make until 2016."

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
He is the most full-of-poo poo person in the fountain pen world, which is a hell of a title

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

He claims it's intentional: if he's ever called in to authenticate a document, the different batches will look slightly different, so he could claim "this document uses batch 42 of Crankcase Crimson, which I didn't make until 2016."

Very helpful for the notorious "stabbed to death with a fountain pen" genre of murder.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

No clue how long this cart will last, but it seems to be going quick?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

iospace posted:

No clue how long this cart will last, but it seems to be going quick?

There's a big chunk of space filled with ink on the open cartridge that isn't filled on the unopened cartridge.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

grack posted:

There's a big chunk of space filled with ink on the open cartridge that isn't filled on the unopened cartridge.

Right, the feed and the tiny bit of the cart itself. Gonna check tomorrow after work.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I don't think they completely fill the carts either. You can put more in there than initially comes with it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, is it normal for the ink to be on the nib proper, not just the tip?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
That's called creep. Not all inks do it, but you just have to live with it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alright! Day one of using it was fun.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Googling for info about the Platinum Curidas led me to this Japanese page that has photos. Shows one of the pens in hand and how the clip remover works. Looks really cool! I might have to pick one up when they get released stateside.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 26, 2020

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
I must confess I have never owned a Pilot Metro. They are quite widespread in shops here, often it's the only fountain pen you'll find for sale on bookshops and similar. They look cool, are cheap and if everyone is to be believed, write like a charm. It's just that I started the hobby on old broken pens, so I don't own a wide range of new ones, and Metros weren't on my scope. I also think they look visually awesome when placed all together like a rainbow, but they lose a bit of charm when alone. Oh well... turns out there's a solution for that...

Those should soon be on their way to my house (seller's pic, apologies for the watermark):

I really wasn't planning to get them, and especially not 10 of them at once (I think there's just one missing for the full Animal Prints and Retro Pop series), but they were all under 35€ with shipping. And I just found a spanish online retailer that carries Diamine and other inks, so I think my class notes are about to become a bit more colorful.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Does anyone use Platinum inks? How is the stupid plastic thing in the bottle? I get that it's supposed to assist in filling, but I find it easier to fill with out it.
Also, their Citrus Black is fantastic in my TWSBI Go 1.1. It sucks in my Lamy EF. It seems to like surface area to oxidize. It goes on a faded mustard and dries like an OD when it has some area.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Chip McFuck posted:

Googling for info about the Platinum Curidas led me to this Japanese page that has photos. Shows one of the pens in hand and how the clip remover works. Looks really cool! I might have to pick one up when they get released stateside.

The page for the Curidas is up at Pen Chalet. Retails for $80, discounted at $64. I will get one, definitely, at that price.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh no... an adorable clicky. My wallet started crying.

E: how good are platinum converters. Asking for a friend.

iospace fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 27, 2020

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

They're fine. Only slightly larger than Pilot's CON-40 so the ink capacity is on the smaller side, but I've had no issues with them.

Edit:

atholbrose posted:

The page for the Curidas is up at Pen Chalet. Retails for $80, discounted at $64. I will get one, definitely, at that price.

Awesome! I didn't realize it was releasing so soon. I sent off an email to Jetpens asking if they were going to carry the Curidas before I read this, but I'm seriously considering placing a preorder at Pen Chalet now.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 27, 2020

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I've been out of the fountain pen collection and restoration game for a while because I can only keep up so many anachronistic money pits hobbies at one time. But I thought, hey, why not mix your old dumb hobby with your new dumb hobby.

These two are still my daily drivers, a Conway Stewart 58 and Mabie Todd Swan 200/60. Should have exposed this a bit longer as the chasing doesn't show up very well on the Swan.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jan 28, 2020

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Megabound posted:

I've been out of the fountain pen collection and restoration game for a while because I can only keep up so many anachronistic money pits hobbies at one time. But I thought, hey, why not mix your old dumb hobby with your new dumb hobby.

These two are still my daily drivers, a Conway Stewart 58 and Mabie Todd Swan 200/60. Should have exposed this a bit longer as the chasing doesn't show up very well on the Swan.

Those are some pretty pens... and a really nice camera, too.

I actually have the mid-50's counterfeit version of your Conway, complete with vaguely-Conway shaped, oxidized steel clip and trimmings (they weren't even trying to imitate gold, here), wrong shaped lever and a jewel that is way too big and clunky. It also mounts a no-name nib that actually writes kinda OK, but it really is nothing special.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

That's really awesome!

What back are you using?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Rudeboy Detective posted:

That's really awesome!

What back are you using?

120 6x7, this was taken on Fuji Pro 160NS.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 29, 2020

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Ah ha ha ha the topic for my next pen club meeting is "Multi-coloured and iridescent pens."

I might just bring half my collection

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Just got back into this hobby and already made another purchase: a Sailor Procolor 500 in Stardust. Haven't put ink in yet, but I'm excited to put some Fuyu-syogun that a friend gifted me in it. Gonna try it out in a notebook I recently finished pressing. The pen's color is really something and sometimes I catch myself turning it in my hand to look at all the little reflective bits.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 29, 2020

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
How's the TWSBI Eco? I've got a pen-shaped itch to scratch and that one looks like it might do a good scratching, but I remember reading something about quality issues with TWSBI pens? Something about cracked barrels? Or am I mistaken? A quick googling didn't turn up anything either way.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Mikl posted:

How's the TWSBI Eco? I've got a pen-shaped itch to scratch and that one looks like it might do a good scratching, but I remember reading something about quality issues with TWSBI pens? Something about cracked barrels? Or am I mistaken? A quick googling didn't turn up anything either way.

I think TWSBI had a bad run a few years ago that has dogged their reputation online even when their QC has gotten a lot better. I personally haven't had any trouble at will with my 580 even after loving around with it a lot and taking it apart unnecessarily, but that's very anecdotal obviously. I think most people here have had really good luck with 580s and ECOs though.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

RichterIX posted:

I think TWSBI had a bad run a few years ago that has dogged their reputation online even when their QC has gotten a lot better. I personally haven't had any trouble at will with my 580 even after loving around with it a lot and taking it apart unnecessarily, but that's very anecdotal obviously. I think most people here have had really good luck with 580s and ECOs though.

Yeah, and my Go is quite sturdy, even if I don't really like it all that much. No problems with the Classic, either.

The Vac 700s are cursed, though.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Mikl posted:

How's the TWSBI Eco?

My data point is that I have it and love it. It's probably my most used daily work pen. The Pilot Metro is maybe a little smoother, but in trade you get a demonstrator with a ton of ink.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Get an eco. 30 bucks for a piston filler! Got me back in the hobby after bouncing off the metro.

Also reaaallll excited about the new platinum.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have a Vac 700R(evision) and it's my main pen. I use a Nemosine Re-Entry stub nib and it's real pretty.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I keep dropping my ECOs and cracking the caps, but all my other TWBSI pens are doing fine.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Fun with colors :D

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Is the white one thicker or is it an illusion?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Illusion, I think. It is the only one that's shiny and not matte, so maybe the light makes it look different.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Lowness 72 posted:

Is the white one thicker or is it an illusion?

Honestly, when I had one, I always thought it was a little thicker.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I bought another Delta, and I didn't even really mean to do it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

grack posted:

I bought another Delta, and I didn't even really mean to do it.

And the Sharks are good, and I'm also the Queen of France :sparkles:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

iospace posted:

And the Sharks are good, and I'm also the Queen of France :sparkles:

Congratulations!

Also I bid $11 on a pen and won it. Really, it's the fault of other people for not outbidding me.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

grack posted:

Congratulations!

Also I bid $11 on a pen and won it. Really, it's the fault of other people for not outbidding me.

Maybe there's something to that Secret thing, if you surround yourself with thoughts of something they will gravitate to you.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have it on good authority that the Curidas will go out mid February.