Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Were you too busy talking during a movie to catch a crucial bit of information?

Did you slip off from the theater to take a piss and miss something critical?

Is the writing unclear and you're confused on a character's motivation?

Did you leave 15 minutes before the movie ended and miss Judy Dench Cat break the fourth wall and sing at the audience?

Post your questions! Get some answers! Politely thank those that provide answers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I just rewatched Blade Runner 2049 and I have a couple of questions. Why are Wallace and the army of replicants led by the one-eyed woman on different sides? They have the same goals. And how can you make a perfect clone of Rachael but still mess up her eye color, especially when you have video footage of her eyes?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wallace wants a slave race who can multiply and make him more slaves for his own glory and for humanity to spread to the stars as slavesters. The one-eyed lady wants replicants to be considered human beings because they are. The two do not have the same goals, despite both wanting replicants to be able to breed.

e: As for loving up Rachael, the point was it wasn't actually a clone, just a flawed lookalike. And her eye color was wrong because there's an eye theme going on.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 21, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea the only reason Wallace wants them to have the ability to breed is economics and time. He doesn't want to have to directly colonize every world, he wants to be able to send a few out there and let them take care of the rest through breeding. They'd still be slaves of course, he has no interest in giving them real freedom.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The eye color thing is fun because Rachael's eyes actually were brown in Blade Runner except when they're being shown on the Voight-Kampff machine. So it's not even clear that Wallace actually messed up.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i really need to see that dang movie already

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I've read stories about actors getting into fist fights on sets, but I don't think I've ever seen one about the cops being called. Why is that?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Studios have their own security?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd imagine there are a lot of people standing close by who have a vested interest in not allowing it to escalate to that place from an optics standpoint.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

I'd imagine there are a lot of people standing close by who have a vested interest in not allowing it to escalate to that place from an optics standpoint.

Just from an insurance standpoint studios really, really don't want cops and lawyers getting involved.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I guess I wasn't thinking about it like that. It's Hollywood. They're probably better at fending off the cops than if it happens in a Walgreens parking lot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, plus while you're shooting you probably have a bunch of huge rear end guys from the teamsters hanging around able to physically separate people before it escalates to the point cops would be warranted.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I think I might have asked it in the last thread but I cannot forget this line where someone asked a girl out for dinner and followed it up with this desperate look and "I just wanna feed you"

Must have been about fifteen years ago I saw this, and I can't remember the movie

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, plus while you're shooting you probably have a bunch of huge rear end guys from the teamsters hanging around able to physically separate people before it escalates to the point cops would be warranted.

Movie productions hire private security firms. That's how Terry Crews got discovered, he was working security on Training Day and the director was like, "drat, whip your shirt off and get in this shot as a gang enforcer", and then Ice Cube met him and recognised him and put him in Next Friday or whatever one it was and he crushed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9EVR7j9_fw

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 22, 2020

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

The Peccadillo posted:

I think I might have asked it in the last thread but I cannot forget this line where someone asked a girl out for dinner and followed it up with this desperate look and "I just wanna feed you"

Must have been about fifteen years ago I saw this, and I can't remember the movie

Down to Earth

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
Is Otto Preminger's Porgy and Bess still considered a lost film? I've been reading about the movie, and it is apparently one of the "holy grails" of lost films and is extremely difficult to watch.

However, just recently I got a super-low quality copy of it on DVD from my local library. From what I can tell the movie on the disc is the right movie, though I haven't watched it yet. Did my library just end up with a bootleg copy of a movie that has never gotten a home release and hasn't been shown on TV since the 70s?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Leavemywife posted:

I guess I wasn't thinking about it like that. It's Hollywood. They're probably better at fending off the cops than if it happens in a Walgreens parking lot.

There was the story of a bodyguard being hired for Sonny Landham during the filming of Predator. Not to protect him from people, but to protect people from him.

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

Is Otto Preminger's Porgy and Bess still considered a lost film? I've been reading about the movie, and it is apparently one of the "holy grails" of lost films and is extremely difficult to watch.

However, just recently I got a super-low quality copy of it on DVD from my local library. From what I can tell the movie on the disc is the right movie, though I haven't watched it yet. Did my library just end up with a bootleg copy of a movie that has never gotten a home release and hasn't been shown on TV since the 70s?

Looks like all that existed were dodgy prints that were incomplete until somewhat recently?

quote:

Prints of the film are "beyond rare" and the film has been called "the holy grail of missing movies." Though bootleg copies are available, it is not known if a complete, quality print exists. Michael Strunsky, the trustee and executor of the Ira Gershwin Musical Estate, told The Hollywood Reporter in 2017 that Ira Gershwin and his wife, Leonore, viewed the film as a "piece of poo poo" and directed Goldwyn to destroy all remaining films 20 years after release, as was their right. However, Michael Feinstein, who was Ira Gershwin's assistant, denies that this ever happened.

A faded 70mm print with faulty 6-track magnetic sound and German subtitles has been discovered and was screened for the opening of the 22. International Film Festival Innsbruck.

It wasn't until 2007 that it was given a theatrical showing again when, on September 26 and 27, the Ziegfeld Theatre in midtown-Manhattan presented it in its entirety, complete with overture, intermission and exit music, followed by a discussion with Preminger biographer Foster Hirsch.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 25, 2020

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Porgy and Bess has all sorts of issues that are likely. It's unlikely the camera negative and other prime elements are gone (just prints), but a 1959 65mm production will undoubtedly have severe fading issues (like Spartacus, One-Eyed Jacks, and North by Northwest), if it wasn't stored well it could have vinegar syndrome.

Library of Congress lists an archival copyright registration 35mm print in their holdings that seems complete, but it's probably faded (not listed as ib tech).

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Egbert Souse posted:

Porgy and Bess has all sorts of issues that are likely. It's unlikely the camera negative and other prime elements are gone (just prints), but a 1959 65mm production will undoubtedly have severe fading issues (like Spartacus, One-Eyed Jacks, and North by Northwest), if it wasn't stored well it could have vinegar syndrome.

Library of Congress lists an archival copyright registration 35mm print in their holdings that seems complete, but it's probably faded (not listed as ib tech).

I'm just surprised it is listed as an extremely rare lost film when there is a DVD of it that I was able to watch with little trouble. The version I watched is twenty minutes shorter than the running time listed on Wikipedia (and is low quality and has opening title credits in a different aspect ratio), so maybe it doesn't count as a "complete" version of the film.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

couldcareless posted:

Down to Earth

Oh, terrible

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

I'm just surprised it is listed as an extremely rare lost film when there is a DVD of it that I was able to watch with little trouble. The version I watched is twenty minutes shorter than the running time listed on Wikipedia (and is low quality and has opening title credits in a different aspect ratio), so maybe it doesn't count as a "complete" version of the film.

A lot of times, people refer to "lost films" that have extant film elements and prints, they just haven't been in circulation for a very long time.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Egbert Souse posted:

A lot of times, people refer to "lost films" that have extant film elements and prints, they just haven't been in circulation for a very long time.

Cool, thanks for the clarification.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What films have given away their ending/major plot points either purposely or not-purposely. Maybe through a trailer that contains super late scenes etc.

I’m watching the beginning of Talk Radio which I’ve seen a few times, and right in the opening credits it says in big letters ‘Based on the book “The Life and Murder of Alec Berg”’ which pretty much gives away the end.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Didn't the Terminator 2 marketing spoil the reveal that Arnold was the good guy for that movie?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I believe it did, as I asked previously how known that was (as I was young, hadn’t seen the first one etc) and apparently it was completely public knowledge. What a boneheaded move.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's been awhile since I've seen it, but it's revealed to the audience relatively quickly that he's good. Linda Hamilton's freak out when he shows up at her mental institution is great, but it's after we've already seen him save John Connor from the T 1000, so I don't think it's the same as the Talk Radio thing

Joke answer The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

Real answer, don't know when it's going to happen in the movie, so if it's relatively early it's not that bad, but I was a little annoyed at the Han's back reveal in the Fast 9 trailer.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Quarantine had the final scene of the movie in the trailer and it becomes pretty obvious early on that it was the final scene.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

EL BROMANCE posted:

What films have given away their ending/major plot points either purposely or not-purposely. Maybe through a trailer that contains super late scenes etc.

I’m watching the beginning of Talk Radio which I’ve seen a few times, and right in the opening credits it says in big letters ‘Based on the book “The Life and Murder of Alec Berg”’ which pretty much gives away the end.

The trailer for Star Trek III: The Search for Spock shows the Enterprise's destruction.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

The tagline on the poster of From Dusk Till Dawn.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Has any actor ever had a career that balanced fun movies and serious movies and good movies and bad movies more than Brad Dourif? He's got the best career, as a total tapestry, of anybody I can think of.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
A good number of the bigger character actors could be arguably up there, like Buscemi or Walken or whatnot. Though they haven't slummed it as much.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Has any actor ever had a career that balanced fun movies and serious movies and good movies and bad movies more than Brad Dourif? He's got the best career, as a total tapestry, of anybody I can think of.

Not to mention the voice acting for the Dishonored games!

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

I'm guessing you are kinda thinking more character actors but DeNiro actually fits this quite well.

Robin Williams is a really good choice too.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

coronavirus posted:

I'm guessing you are kinda thinking more character actors but DeNiro actually fits this quite well.

Robin Williams is a really good choice too.

I was thinking Jim Carrey.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Klungar posted:

I was thinking Jim Carrey.

I was gonna suggest this but I've not really seen his more serious films, only Eternal Sunshine years ago.

I randomly watched Dark Crimes not too long ago purely because Jim was in it but that's not a film I'd rush to recommend.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

John C Reilly has some insane range too. Doesn’t have too many bad movies from memory tho.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

EL BROMANCE posted:

John C Reilly has some insane range too. Doesn’t have too many bad movies from memory tho.

He's the best

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lots and lots of actors started out in low budget junk that's barely been seen and it's usually not talked about or considered to be in their oeuvre.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Clint Howard?
James Hong? (may not know the name, but I bet you saw him in a poo poo load)

Zogo posted:

Lots and lots of actors started out in low budget junk that's barely been seen and it's usually not talked about or considered to be in their oeuvre.

Or were in a hit, and then live out the rest of their careers going from low budget to low budget only getting it as they were in that hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Eric Roberts. He's got an Academy Awards nomination and multiple Golden Globes nominations. He was the voice of the cat in A Talking Cat!?!, then next year was in Inherent Vice, then the year after that appeared in Frank D'Angelo Sicilian Vampire.