Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

The Thread was destroyed,
but hey, what can you do?

Donkey Kong Country Returns was a big success, selling around 9 million units across the Nintendo Wii and the 3DS. Retro has been no stranger to creating sequels to their beloved games, so in 2014 they released the next gorilla-sized installment for Donkey Kong! Only there was one problem... it released on the Wii U. The Wii U was a commercial flop, especially following the juggernaut of the Wii, so Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze didn't stand a monkey's chance in a No Banana factory of ever matching Return's earnings. Despite this, Tropical Freeze became a fan favorite, earning tons of critical praise and selling around 2.5 million copies. It was everything people loved about Retro's previous outing, only featuring better graphics, more Kongs, and even more creative levels. Once the game was re-released on Switch, the game was hailed as one of the best side-scrolling platformers of all time, and it quickly eclipsed the Wii U original's sales. So get ready to add one more voice onto the pile of accolades as I (TheJayOfSpade) and my Funky Bunch of co-commentators (ChorpSaway, FutureFriend, and Taoc) ride out this tubular wave! In this LP, I'll be grabbing 100% of the game's collectables, and I'll even be showing off the time trials for every level in separate videos. Heck, I also played through all the stages on Hard mode, just to show you lovely viewers all the unlockable art! Get ready for a game to remember, this is just the frosted tip of the iceberg!

Thanks to HandDrawnSquare for the wonderful art and thanks to Jordan for the thread title!

TheJayOfSpade fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Who do you think would win in a fight, Jeff Kong or Doug Bowser?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Please ship Jay to FutureFriend's house, after this LP is over, so you guys can get him to a doctor.

6 strokes in one video is a bad sign.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

Who do you think would win in a fight, Jeff Kong or Doug Bowser?

The Kongo Bongo viewing public wins that one, my friend.

Also, while it's clearly ruined the natural order of the island, it's revealed in the expanded material that Donkey Kong gets a new favorite dessert thanks to this adventure: the banana frosters.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I love the illustrations

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Grasslands Groove has to be one of my favourite levels in the game, just because how everything is having such a good time.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

ChorpSaway posted:

So I appreciate this level because it specifies that Donkey Kong, not just a banana guy, he loves all the fruits, every single one

TheJayOfSpade posted:

I mean I haven't seen eat any of these fruit

Taoc posted:

I feel like we also very rarely see him actually eating the bananas considering how many of them he finds

This is Jungle Beat erasure

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

This is Jungle Beat erasure

I take full responsibility for this gross neglect of one of the best Donkey Kong games.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

You're doing all the time trials too?! Well, you are officially a mad lad.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Quackles posted:

You're doing all the time trials too?! Well, you are officially a mad lad.

I originally wasn't planning on it, but I started doing them and I had a real good time!

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I love Frantic Fields. It's really intense, and you just have to charge forward on Rambi - and you get better music with him.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

TheJayOfSpade fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 6, 2020

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Professor Layton was a professor of Archaeology, not English! None of you are true gentlemen.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

It was Donkey Kong, at the Improv Class, with the Hot Banana. :D

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
This may surprise you, but I'm still waiting eagerly for your next time trial video since you mentioned you really showed that fish-boss whatfor in it.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Same, this is a really fun LP and it's really rare to get good commentated ones where they get all the puzzle pieces and do the time trials.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Careful DK, that walrus is ice cold!

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I think this is the first time you've had a K level in the time trial vids, neat!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
When you put up the video it was already April 1st here so for a moment I was wondering if the whole video would be AC fishing.

Either way you certainly bagged a big puffer fish.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

ManlyGrunting posted:

I think this is the first time you've had a K level in the time trial vids, neat!

Oh, whoops, I think the plan was to do them all at the end. I guess that level will get a double dip

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Niiiice video! You mentioned Hard Mode. Some of the levels in Hard Mode gave me conniptions, though one that holds a special place of infamy in my head for Hard Mode purposes is Irate Eight. It's 10 times as hard when you only have one HP and no checkpoints, even being Dixie all the time.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Truly, the reward for winning the pie-eating contest is more pie.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you somehow managed to get the Crew to commentate with you over playing the whole thing on hard mode I'd still be watching :v:

Anywho, besides finishing up the time trial videos got any further plans?

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

If you somehow managed to get the Crew to commentate with you over playing the whole thing on hard mode I'd still be watching :v:

Anywho, besides finishing up the time trial videos got any further plans?

There's going to be short group commentary video where I show off hard mode and Funky Kong, then the rest is all time trials

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
You guys' knowledge of Leisure Suit Larry games is alarming

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

TwoPair posted:

You guys' knowledge of Leisure Suit Larry games is alarming

some of the leisure suit larry games were my childhood games, which is exactly how i became twisted enough to start a career in let's play

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Fair.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Funky having 5 hearts feels more like it should be the standard for the game. For a bunch of apes and gorillas, you sure are fragile in all these games. One or two hits and that's all you get.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
smh at not getting all shiny golds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Those time trials are (I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist) bananas.