Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

Is there an obvious technical reason why The Terminator hasn't had a UHD release yet? Or is it just something to do with the rights?

Ideally, they’re working on the transfer super hard so it doesn’t turn out like T2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

dorium posted:

Ideally, they’re working on the transfer super hard so it doesn’t turn out like T2

I assumed there was some specific issue preventing them from doing it because Dark Fate comes out this month and typically that's a time when you'd see a UHD release for a film from earlier in a series.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I would guess a combination of lack of interest in the franchise and Cameron loving around with Avatar 2/3. The Abyss still hasn’t received a Blu-Ray!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

I assumed there was some specific issue preventing them from doing it because Dark Fate comes out this month and typically that's a time when you'd see a UHD release for a film from earlier in a series.

yea i dunno what the exact legalities are from keeping that movie from joining the UHD family. It's a FOX franchise so maybe there's a backlog of films that are still receiving the 4k treatment and the disney stuff aint helping and by disney stuff I mean, who the gently caress knows what their process is for restoring and treating films and where exactly their minds are for physical releases beyond Marvel and disney animated films.

dorium fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 24, 2020

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
https://twitter.com/NetflixFilm/status/1220828780245073920

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

American Factory Criterion Collection? I guess they found something worse than Tiny Furniture.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Smart of Netflix to let Criterion handle the physicals for their prestige stuff.

American Factory was well liked and the trailer makes me want to see it...

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

what a shame. i want none of those.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
No Buster Scruggs? Bullshit

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Homeybeef posted:

No Buster Scruggs? Bullshit

Seriously, how is there still not a blu for this yet?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
The Irishman wasn't terrible or anything, but it's just so-so. So out of everything Scorsese ever made (aside from The Last Temptation of Christ) it's a little odd that this is which of his films is in The Criterion Collection. I hope they dumping a bunch of Netflix poo poo onto Criterion doesn't become a gradual process of the label being ruined.

But the reali tragedy is that Disney's ownership of Freddy Got Fingered means it will never be in the Criterion Collection.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

The only Criterions I own are all the Wes Anderson ones. I would buy a Criterion of Buster Scruggs in a fuckin second.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

The Irishman wasn't terrible or anything, but it's just so-so. So out of everything Scorsese ever made (aside from The Last Temptation of Christ) it's a little odd that this is which of his films is in The Criterion Collection. I hope they dumping a bunch of Netflix poo poo onto Criterion doesn't become a gradual process of the label being ruined.

But the reali tragedy is that Disney's ownership of Freddy Got Fingered means it will never be in the Criterion Collection.

Actually - The Age of Innocence is also on Criterion. So they have two Scorsese films.

And I hate to be this person who gets upset about something someone said on the internet, but I really get annoyed when people look at the Criterion Collection as some sort of film canon, and that if its a good film, then Criterion will release it. They're a really good home video label. And they release a lot of great films, and they also release a lot of films that nobody cares about. I mention this all the time, but their last laserdisc release was loving Michael Bay's Armageddon. They were never above releasing popular schlock. I think it's just the reality of the DVD era turned them into a place where you could find all those foreign and arthouse films since studios weren't going to license their big properties out to them. But now, I wouldn't be surprised to see Criterion return to the laserdisc days where they are releasing both the foreign and arthouse films as well as the big popular stuff.

Look at their upcoming releases. They've got a Wes Anderson film, Fail Safe, a boxset of a Czechoslovakian director's films, a few documentaries. Even recently, they've done silent films, the 5 hour "Until the End of the World," and a whole slew of other films. This is a company broadening their horizons.

I remember being in Barnes and Noble and someone was flipping through the Criterion racks with their friend, and they came across "Tootsie," and they were like "Wow, why is this in the collection?" It just feels elitist as poo poo when people say that. So what? They're releasing movies that people enjoy.

Except Tiny Furniture. gently caress that film.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion is also supposedly working on a release of Scorsese's early works that at least includes his short films and might also have Who's That Knocking at My Door and Mean Streets. A lot of his films have excellent releases from the major studios and even feature Criterion laserdisc content. Sony and MGM made special deals to use his commentary tracks for Taxi Driver and Raging Bull.

Also, looks like someone let it out that The Other Side of the Wind will be among the Netflix-Criterion releases, as well.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
I'm hoping criterion picks up dolemite is my name. That was my favorite 2019 release

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I'm just patiently waiting for Criterion to jump on the UHD train. CHOO CHOO

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dorium posted:

I'm just patiently waiting for Criterion to jump on the UHD train. CHOO CHOO

I was expecting VinSyn to jump on the UHD train, I just figured Criterion would be the first boutique.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Criterion dies with Blu

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
It's a shame since I doubt anyone will do a 4k release for films like Brazil and videodrome

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The problem with doing 4K releases is that anything from major studios would have to be re-licensed. That's how Arrow was able to release Waterworld on Blu-ray, while Universal released a UHD from the same restoration a few months later.

Criterion wouldn't have to do as much for anything from Janus Films and possibly Sony (who distributes their US/UK releases), but it's still a niche.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

We still need that Hard Eight on Blu-ray, god drat it. A 4K would be great but it's a PTA film and those don't get 4K releases for some reason

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Untrustable posted:

The only Criterions I own are all the Wes Anderson ones. I would buy a Criterion of Buster Scruggs in a fuckin second.

I just have fifty seven copies of Tiny Furniture.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Actually - The Age of Innocence is also on Criterion. So they have two Scorsese films.

And I hate to be this person who gets upset about something someone said on the internet, but I really get annoyed when people look at the Criterion Collection as some sort of film canon, and that if its a good film, then Criterion will release it. They're a really good home video label. And they release a lot of great films, and they also release a lot of films that nobody cares about. I mention this all the time, but their last laserdisc release was loving Michael Bay's Armageddon. They were never above releasing popular schlock. I think it's just the reality of the DVD era turned them into a place where you could find all those foreign and arthouse films since studios weren't going to license their big properties out to them. But now, I wouldn't be surprised to see Criterion return to the laserdisc days where they are releasing both the foreign and arthouse films as well as the big popular stuff.

Look at their upcoming releases. They've got a Wes Anderson film, Fail Safe, a boxset of a Czechoslovakian director's films, a few documentaries. Even recently, they've done silent films, the 5 hour "Until the End of the World," and a whole slew of other films. This is a company broadening their horizons.

I remember being in Barnes and Noble and someone was flipping through the Criterion racks with their friend, and they came across "Tootsie," and they were like "Wow, why is this in the collection?" It just feels elitist as poo poo when people say that. So what? They're releasing movies that people enjoy.

Except Tiny Furniture. gently caress that film.

I get how I came off but that's not where I'm coming from. I wasn't one of those people that was like "How dare they release the Breakfast Club!". I just mean that I hope they don't stop their focus on digging up previously unknown gems like House, finally giving Night of the Living Dead the video release it deserves, or putting Multiple Maniacs out to the public after decades of being unavailable. I know the crowd pleaser stuff probably pays for the type of poo poo I just listed, I just don't want to see that become all they ever do.

fake edit: The Criterion Collection should release an edition of Blacula.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
The very name "Criterion" implies a *Criteria* in play for the titles they release, so it's not unusual to expect that their catalogue is typically well vetted films of some level of significance.

Of course you can't please everyone, though. Glad to have them out there doing what they do, but I'll never be one of those "Gotta collect every criterion disc" people either.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion has never been THAT ultra high-brow. Don't forget they were releasing films like The Blob, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and King Kong really early on.

Stuff like The Rock, Armageddon, and even Chasing Amy were from a time when Disney released almost everything bare bones. I remember getting the original DVD of Pinocchio, which had no extras and used the mid-90s laserdisc transfer (though, still high quality for the time). One of the best comparisons would be Rushmore. Disney put out a bare-bones 4x3 letterbox disc while Criterion's is 16x9, has the commentary, Charlie Rose show, MTV segments, galleries, and the trailer. Not to mention the printed stuff inside.

Of course, within a few years, all the major studios were doing special editions. But people probably forget how shaky a lot of early DVDs were. Paramount literally didn't do any special editions for home video until the 2001 DVD of Forrest Gump. Universal ported a ton of their special edition laserdiscs to DVD, but without remastering. Don't get me started on flippers and snappers...

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

who still has their original goodfellas flipper, because I sure do.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Sniep posted:

The very name "Criterion" implies a *Criteria* in play for the titles they release, so it's not unusual to expect that their catalogue is typically well vetted films of some level of significance.

Of course you can't please everyone, though. Glad to have them out there doing what they do, but I'll never be one of those "Gotta collect every criterion disc" people either.

The thing that gets me is that a lot of people think that if a film they don't like gets released by Criterion then it is some massive affront to them as a cinemaphile. When the Godzilla boxset was announced, a lot of people were upset that it was spine 1000.

I saw someone comment on a story about the Netflix releases that "they are doing these films when there are David Lynch films and Eyes Wide Shut don't have a Criterion release?"

I think it's mainly people looking for validation in their tastes. And I get wanting to have your favorite films released in a great version, but do these people think that there's someone at Criterion saying "don't work on Eyes Wide Shut, I need you to do the Irishman instead?"

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

dorium posted:

who still has their original goodfellas flipper, because I sure do.

Still have my Amadeus flipper for the theatrical cut.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I always viewed something getting a Criterion release as something important. Whether that means highlighting film as art, the use of film as a universal language, a culturally significant film, something that permeates pop culture, or in the Netflix deal’s case, a historical milestone. These films may not have been made or as widely distributed without the unique benefits of streaming. Plus, most of the Criterion stuff is just plain good. If I see it has that little “c” on the case, I know it will probably be worth watching at least once.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The people who gatekeep what should or should not be a Criterion are insufferable anyway (not really a problem here, mostly a reddit and Blu-Ray.com thing), so my personal opinion is “gently caress yeah, I absolutely will take a complete Criterion-quality set of Showa era man-in-suit goofiness”.

Give me more goofy “low-brow” genre stuff in the Criterion Collection, if I’m being totally honest. I don’t care about Criterion as a standard of excellence for the movies themselves, I view the label as an assurance that the total package will be done with a certain level of care and attention to detail. There’s a lot of “lesser” films that aren’t art house darlings, that could really use a release that isn’t just some barebones Mill Creek offering.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I remember there being some good fake criterion cover entries in that photoshop friday years and years ago.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Give me more goofy “low-brow” genre stuff in the Criterion Collection, if I’m being totally honest. I don’t care about Criterion as a standard of excellence for the movies themselves, I view the label as an assurance that the total package will be done with a certain level of care and attention to detail. There’s a lot of “lesser” films that aren’t art house darlings, that could really use a release that isn’t just some barebones Mill Creek offering.

This 100%

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If you buy every Criterion release no matter what then you don't have a superior taste in movies anyways. You just have a shopping list.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I've never considered criterion the arbiters of good film. I always considered them the people who sold movies with the coolest covers and sometimes tiny posters.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Of course, within a few years, all the major studios were doing special editions. But people probably forget how shaky a lot of early DVDs were. Paramount literally didn't do any special editions for home video until the 2001 DVD of Forrest Gump. Universal ported a ton of their special edition laserdiscs to DVD, but without remastering. Don't get me started on flippers and snappers...

My original snappers of Blade and The Matrix are honored possessions that I will be buried with.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I think the only snapper I've upgraded was Beetlejuice. But my roommate somehow lost my Blu-ray, so technically I'm back to the snapper until it reappears, or there's a UHD.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What is a snapper

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Old dvd cases that mainly Warner would use, cardboard fronts that would click into a plastic clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq93zpqUNxY

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Aren’t they called “DigiPaks?”

Someone at the video store buys them (begrudgingly), copies the cover and slips the cover and disc into a plastic case, discarding the DigiPak.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Digipak is the official name for the square cardboard CD case with the inner plastic disc tray, and they have no snap lock. The snap case DVD concept is owned by Warner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Warner, New Line, and Image were the only ones using snappers. Technically, some very early Kino releases that were released through Image were also in snappers, but they switched to their own distribution after a year or two. Warner was the last to switch to keep cases in 2004. In the interim, they were particularly well-known for introducing digipaks for multi-disc releases. The first editions of the 2-disc SEs of Citizen Kane, Casablanca, Yankee Doodle Dandy, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Adventures of Robin Hood, and of course, the first few Harry Potter films were all in digipaks.

The snappers were only ever made as single-disc cases and that resulted in some weird stuff. Image released a 2-disc edition of Dances with Wolves that required two separate snappers in a slipcover. I remember Any Given Sunday and JFK Director's Cut having the second disc contained in an envelope folded into the snapper.

And that's actually a large reason why DVD-10s, DVD-14s, and DVD-18s were so quickly adopted (over plain DVD-5s and DVD-9s) so that only one disc would be needed for 5-6 hours of content.