Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Brother Entropy posted:

i wonder how much of it might be sony or naughty dog being too precious about how their very boring protagonist should and shouldn't be portrayed and that clashing with the rotating glass door of directors who want to do anything beyond what's been portrayed in the video games

in general, franchises like this or assassin's creed kinda have an uphill battle in actually making a good, novel movie when the stories and characters are real formulaic and the fun involved was that you get to interact with the setpiece action scenes

The majority of it is probably scheduling. The movie’s 6 directors go back 7-8 years. This one definitely is, the director had already threatened to walk if he couldn’t begin shooting soon. Then the Sony/Marvel deal went back into effect and Holland got tied up with the new Spider-Man. The delay in announcing is probably sorting out the legalese of Sony and the director coming a mutual agreement on terminating the contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Brother Entropy posted:

i wonder how much of it might be sony or naughty dog being too precious about how their very boring protagonist should and shouldn't be portrayed and that clashing with the rotating glass door of directors who want to do anything beyond what's been portrayed in the video games

in general, franchises like this or assassin's creed kinda have an uphill battle in actually making a good, novel movie when the stories and characters are real formulaic and the fun involved was that you get to interact with the setpiece action scenes

If I'm remembering correctly, this is why the Halo movie never happened. Microsoft was wanting a ridiculous amount of control over things and was trying to dictate the exact terms of the movie deal, and they basically got laughed out of Hollywood.

For the best, honestly.

FAKE EDIT: Yeah here's a good article about it: https://www.wired.com/2012/04/halo-movie-generation-xbox/

The story behind it is even more ridiculous than I had remembered it being. :allears:

Vandar fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 26, 2020

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Ok, so apparently the Internet Archive has Mortal Kombat just available to watch for free?

https://archive.org/details/MortalKombat1995

Enjoy!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Uncharted already had the original Drake instead get cast as Sully.

So I can't wait until this movie spends so long in Development Hell to where the same thing happens with Tom Holland.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Vandar posted:

If I'm remembering correctly, this is why the Halo movie never happened. Microsoft was wanting a ridiculous amount of control over things and was trying to dictate the exact terms of the movie deal, and they basically got laughed out of Hollywood.

For the best, honestly.

FAKE EDIT: Yeah here's a good article about it: https://www.wired.com/2012/04/halo-movie-generation-xbox/

The story behind it is even more ridiculous than I had remembered it being. :allears:

The funny thing is that District 9 ended up being made basically out of the leftover money.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Wouldn’t a live-action Disney Tarzan movie just be like a normal Tarzan movie?

Warner Bros made a live-action Tarzan movie a couple of years ago set in king Leopold's Congo. It was extremely yikes.

Brother Entropy posted:

It's not unusual for movies to get stuck in development hell. Douglas Adams one compared making a movie to roasting a steak by having a bunch of guys taking turns breathing on it.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jan 26, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Len posted:

Sleeping Beauty and Snow White are still on a poo poo load of merchandise though :psyduck:

The 90s still leaves us with Pocahontas, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, and if they're really desperate Tarzan.

They could probably do a live action Nightmare Before Christmas that could be just trash and still bring in a billion+

They also remade Pete's Dragon back in 2016, and they've been steadily recycling their old live actions movies like Flubber with Robin Williams in 1997, The Shaggy Dog with Tim Allen in 2006, Race to Witch Mountain with Dwayne Johnson in 2009, etc etc etc..

They've already remade Freaky Friday three times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Disney_film_remakes

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Barudak posted:

The Mortal Kombat movie succeeds because it is the thing its ripping off, a tournament of death between weird kung fu masters

I rewatched it recently, it's extremely straightforward and unashamed of what it is. The character are set up and get to where they need to be for the tournament to start with a minimum of fuss, it was quite refreshing to see.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kind of the other issue with video game movies is that game studios have learned the hard way if you leave Hollywood to their own devices you have no idea what the gently caress they'll do. Nintendo in particular is very leery of movies after the Super Mario Bros debacle, and only recently I heard Illumination is working on a Mario movie at some point. The Sonic movie seems to be a case where they had to get a universal reaction of 'what the gently caress? lol this movie is going to be so poo poo' as a wake up call that maybe they should have actually listened to Sega and used the design notes from a character who remains massively popular despite being in maybe four good games.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Also while I was looking that up I found out they're working on a new Mortal Kombat film for 2021.

I'm* an extra in it!

*No indication of quality.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

In which year will Disney produce a live-action Frozen remake?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Comrade Fakename posted:

The year the animated ones stops being profitable.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

They are planning to do Lilo & Stitch, so it might not be long.

They actually did sort of do a live action Frozen sequel in Once Upon A Time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30JMPiTRy18

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 26, 2020

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Disney could just do theatrical runs of their old animated movies and still make money but nah that makes too much sense.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Vandar posted:

For the best, honestly.

Halo is a classic example of the problem with adapting video games to movies because it's exactly the kind of massively popular video game you would want to adapt into a movie, but the plot of halo is only interesting if you're the one playing it as a shooting game. It's just a faceless man with zero personality or character growth being told to go from A to B to C, all on his own, to shoot ever-larger crowds of aliens. It would be easier to adapt it into an exibition of paintings than a movie, because if you take away the fun of playing the game the only thing left is the visual spectacle.

Almost all video game plots have this problem because enjoying things as a passive observer and as an active participant are two very different things that tend to rely on very different story elements :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Disney could just do theatrical runs of their old animated movies and still make money but nah that makes too much sense.

They used to re-release their classic animated films all the time - the 1967 animated Jungle Book film was re-released in 1984 ($23 million box office), 1990 ($45m BO) and has a limited overseas release in 2000 ($4.5m BO). They also attempted a live action remake with trained animals in 1994 ($43m BO) and a 2D animated sequel to the '67 film in 2003 ($135m BO) and various straight-to-DVD features plus animated TV series, all of which utterly pales into insignificance against the 2016 CGI "live action" remake ($966m BO).

Disney have spent many many decades trying every technique available to wring as much cash out of their back catalogue as possible.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Every studio used to constantly released their old movies. It's why Gone With the Wind has the highest adjusted box office, it was released something like 37 times. Before vhs became so ubiquitous in the 80s it was the only way for people to rewatch old movies.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Every studio used to constantly released their old movies. It's why Gone With the Wind has the highest adjusted box office, it was released something like 37 times. Before vhs became so ubiquitous in the 80s it was the only way for people to rewatch old movies.

And even after that Disney kept trying to get audiences to buy tickets to their classic films with 'special edition' releases, such as when they re-released the '94 animated Lion King in IMAX in 2002 and then in 3D wide release in 2011.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Red Bones posted:

Halo is a classic example of the problem with adapting video games to movies because it's exactly the kind of massively popular video game you would want to adapt into a movie, but the plot of halo is only interesting if you're the one playing it as a shooting game. It's just a faceless man with zero personality or character growth being told to go from A to B to C, all on his own, to shoot ever-larger crowds of aliens. It would be easier to adapt it into an exibition of paintings than a movie, because if you take away the fun of playing the game the only thing left is the visual spectacle.

Almost all video game plots have this problem because enjoying things as a passive observer and as an active participant are two very different things that tend to rely on very different story elements :shrug:

Fuckin Doom is a better sell for a movie than Halo, because it least has the hook of being Die Hard In Hell with a side of anticorporatism

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Halo does at least have a whole space opera backstory where a war with religious fanatic aliens is mixed in with a Niven ringworld, its robot defenders and off-brand Zerg, and a whole ancient aliens background, but a protagonist who literally never removes his helmet isn't something Hollywood plays well with. (see Judge Dredd)

Rampage is a funny case given it takes major liberties with what passes for the story of the franchise, but keeps the key points and absolutely maintains the spirit of the idea, and as a result is a serviceable B-Movie much like what the original game was clearly meant to evoke.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The thing is even though video games mostly have bad stories or no stories the movie adaptations are often dumber. The Doom movie has a dumber premise than "hell starts invading a Mars base".

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I know the novels (lol) explained this, but I forget if the games ever explicit state that the demons are actually interdimentional aliens that either psychology mined us for our fears and echoed that or if it was a childhood's end-esque thing where they inspired our demon imagery.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

What happened with the Doom movie was that the studio pussed out and didn't want to upset Christians by making a movie about demons.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Doom is the most Christian game ever

EDIT: While I was looking for that picture I found an unrelated pic of Doomslayer teaching Rapunzel how to use a gun

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

What happened with the Doom movie was that the studio pussed out and didn't want to upset Christians by making a movie about demons.

They released it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom:_Annihilation

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I was talking about the 2005 one. The power dumb Evangelicals had to mess with pop culture isn't what it was 15 years ago.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I honestly think it's kinda weird that a movie about killing demons were bad but a movie about how some people are genetically predisposed to be evil was good.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

EDIT: While I was looking for that picture I found an unrelated pic of Doomslayer teaching Rapunzel how to use a gun

There's an entire series of these, actually.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Baron von Eevl posted:

I know the novels (lol) explained this, but I forget if the games ever explicit state that the demons are actually interdimentional aliens that either psychology mined us for our fears and echoed that or if it was a childhood's end-esque thing where they inspired our demon imagery.

The recent games play it the other way where the evil idiot corporation tapping Hell for energy ends up gradually losing the pretence for being a demon cult sacrificing its employees for power

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

There's an entire series of these, actually.

Doom Slayer and Isabelle being friends is a whole genre of art from hopeful Smash Bros fans

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The recent games play it the other way where the evil idiot corporation tapping Hell for energy ends up gradually losing the pretence for being a demon cult sacrificing its employees for power
The flavortext from the game was really fun. poo poo like "we sent a group of pathfinders into the Bloodmines and they made it about 30 feet before being driven insane and subsequently turned into hideous zombie beasts. We recommend a Level-Cain psyonic shield before attempting re-entry" to "Praise Niergitol of the Hated Ire, the sacrifice of 20 Agrent-techs may yet inspire more madness in their ranks, we have etched the Silent Word into their computers in the hopes that they are revealed the truth"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Halo does at least have a whole space opera backstory where a war with religious fanatic aliens is mixed in with a Niven ringworld, its robot defenders and off-brand Zerg, and a whole ancient aliens background, but a protagonist who literally never removes his helmet isn't something Hollywood plays well with. (see Judge Dredd)

They're filming a Halo TV series right now with Pablo Schreiber as Master Chief.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Baron von Eevl posted:

In the original games they're actual demons from Hell.

In the novels the aliens originally visited us in the Middle Ages and thought we'd still think demons were actual flesh and blood beings but we advanced faster than any known species so they didn't expect us to be space-faring when they came back.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Baron von Eevl posted:

Pretty sure even the original games have the demons be actually from Hell. The books didn’t have much to do with the games beyond the first one: they later had the protagonist escape to Salt Lake City where he meets the leader of the resistance fighting the aliens, the president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
There is supposedly a live-action remake of The Sword in the Stone being made for Disney+ because the world can never have too many movies about King Arthur.

At least this one will be Arthur as a kid and it will have a crazy talking owl. (It better have the owl)

edit: also, reading wikipedia apparently the english version of the cartoon had 3 different voice actors for Arthur. I only ever watched the danish dub so it struck me as a bit weird.

quote:

Rickie Sorensen, Richard Reitherman, and Robert Reitherman as Arthur, also known as Wart, Disney's adaptation of legendary British leader King Arthur. Arthur was voiced by three actors, leading to noticeable changes in voice between scenes — and sometimes, within the same scene. Also, the three voices have American accents, sharply contrasting with the English setting and the accents spoken by most of the other characters in the film. Mari Ness of the online magazine Tor.com suggests that, "Given that the film is about growing up, this problem might have been overcome" with the three voices being interpreted as Arthur's character development both mentally and physically; however, she also notes that "the director inexplicably chose to leave all three voices in for some scenes, drawing attention to the problem that they were not the same actor." She notes even further that "Two [of the voice actors] were brothers, and sound somewhat similar; the third was not, and sounds distinctly different." Finally, she notes the issue of the American accents of the voices contrasting with the English setting and the accents spoken by most of the other characters in the film, noting that "The only positive: the vocal issues with Wart do help distract attention from the fact that the Brits aren’t particularly good here either."

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Legend of Tarzan was about as good as a modern day Tarzan movie is going to be. No point failing at something like that so soon.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Its actually a little of both! The UAC kicked open a door into hell so they could use it as a fuel source before splitting into competing Devil Worshipper and Turbo Capitalist factions, but the demons are also interdimensional colonists who invade universes to harvest their life energy. It's got a fun dynamic where the Doomguy is basically the only guy who realizes that they're both two sides of the same coin.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Doom 2016 was amazing and I don't get why prelaunch everyone said it was going to be garbage.

But yeah it's great because you start and the facility is full of regular signage and then turns into poo poo like "don't forget to sacrifice a cat this coming Friday!"

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Len posted:

Doom 2016 was amazing and I don't get why prelaunch everyone said it was going to be garbage.

It's because much of the advertising campaign was focused on multiplayer, not the singleplayer ripping and tearing

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Rampage is a funny case given it takes major liberties with what passes for the story of the franchise, but keeps the key points and absolutely maintains the spirit of the idea, and as a result is a serviceable B-Movie much like what the original game was clearly meant to evoke.

Hell yeah, Rampage ruled.

The best video game movies are the ones not actually based on specific games though: Wreck-It Ralph, Jumanji with the Rock, and the second Jumanji with the Rock. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

It's because much of the advertising campaign was focused on multiplayer, not the singleplayer ripping and tearing

Must be because I only saw trailers but they did a real good job showing off the ripping and tearing

https://youtu.be/SgSrpnW0EmU

https://youtu.be/omWEZI0cT1g

https://youtu.be/RO90omga8D4