Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Made a new friend today in the Everglades :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That’s a goddamn dinosaur

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It woke up and stretched out a little bit before going back to sleep, it was seriously :3:

:)

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I did A Thing earlier this month.

Winter in Yosemite was interesting. It was my first time to the park, so I'll have to go back to see it from a different perspective. I guess I had my first "Old man yells at clouds" moment here while watching people hike on the icy granite with just converses and running shoes and wondering wtf they're thinking.

Death Valley was cool as gently caress due to the multitude of things you could do and see there. I didn't realize how big the whole park is until actually driving around. I may also be biased because I grew up with the desert and love it. It was a full moon while we were there, so not much stargazing to do. However, walking the Mesquite Sand Dunes under the moonlight was pretty neat.

On the way home we drove through Mojave National Preserve and the Kelso Dunes are loving massive. Even from four miles away they dwarfed the Mesquite Dunes at DV.

Yosemite

Ranger-led snowshoeing

Hiking up to Nevada Falls on the winter route.

The last mile of switchbacks to the top was like this. Fun times!

Liberty Cap and the moon.

Death Valley

Badwater Basin

There was a gigantic puddle with about 1" of water one mile from the Badwater Basin parking lot which made for some cool photos.

Artist's Palette

Ubehebe Crater

Red Cathedral from Golden Canyon

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Man that's fuckin' awesome. Death Valley looks really cool, I'm just not sure it would be worth the drive to poke into the section that's in Nevada.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

The prodigal returns. Had it sent out to have the barrel chopped, front sight pushed back, threaded concentric to the bore and the Warcomp pinned/welded in place. Also had a KNS adjustable gas piston installed.

Apparently I accidentally have a thing for 14.x" AKs.

Zero and test fire of the KNS piston this weekend :q:

Hopefully a hike and some better glamor shots too.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Went on a hike today. Was quite chilly. Didn't go as far as planned due to the visibility conditions.

Overlook above Nymph

Tighter shot, not sure which of these two I prefer. This one gives more zoom and detail on Longs, but the previous one I feel gives more context of the overall scene.

Dream lake. First time I've gotten a Waldo shot here, because normally it's very crowded. Still had to clone stamp out a few people on the far side of the lake.

Waldo on the ice at Dream lake.

Another spot overlooking Longs, really wanted to get a few nice glamor shots.

Why yes, Waldo can now take a can!

Shortly after these shots, I was taking some with Waldo in a tree and it fell out and got dunked all in the snow. Truly it is now fully resanctified for field use.

The Rat fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 26, 2020

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That’s the good morning light right there

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

bloops posted:

That’s the good morning light right there

Yeah I was on the trail at 6:30AM or so, around blue hour. Thankfully I nixed my previous plan to go up in the dark by headlamp and catch blue hour on the lake. Given the visibility, I don't think it would have been worth it.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I can see how cold that is. That kind of frozen mist sucks the heat out of you like a Republican state senator in the back of a Lexus.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Does anyone know anything about Beyond Clothing? Its one of the only places I can find softshell pants in a tall size.

https://beyondclothing.com/products/k5-velox-light-softshell-pant?variant=13517645611070

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

DId a nice afternoon hike to Nymph, Emerald, and Dream Lakes this weekend.

Also tried messing around a little with Lightroom's pano merge tool.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea trick with merging photos in a pano is to overshoot coverage. Lightroom will crop the hell out of photos as it stitches them together into a seamless scene

There are some wild manual and electronic pano rigs out there. I just shoot them handheld and that works out OK.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bryce canyon is pretty dope, definitely worth waking up at 5 for. Should get some slighty better shots from my trusty GH2 when I get home and can tweak a little.

E: replaced pano with one with better stitching

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 7, 2020

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Dope, yeah looking forward to seeing what you can do when you get them processed a bit.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Washington's paid family leave kicked in on the first, so we're eligible for a month and a half off for making a baby. We're spending most of it checking out Western national parks and other cool poo poo between visiting friends and family. So I've got shots from the redwoods, the coast, the Grand canyon, Zion, and Bryce. Next up is capitol reef, arches, and canyonlands before we head home. No time for Colorado, unfortunately.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

gently caress yeah, Capitol Reef is my fave. Not sure what to recommend given that there might be precipitation and wet roads. The upper and lower Muley Twist canyons are my favorite trails anywhere, but you gotta roll on a dirt road to get there and that's a real bad idea if it's wet. They're also on the longer side.

The main part of the park is still gorgeous though.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Zion and Bryce are fantastic.

I’m out in Canyonlands, Arches, and Monument Valley next month

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

End of next month I'll be hitting Grand Staircase, South Coyote Buttes (woop woop advance permit), Natural Bridges and Arches.

Assuming no disasters happen, anyways.

Trying to talk the gf into a quick stop at the Black Canyon on the way back, just so she can see it.

You gonna hit the Druid Arch in Canyonlands? That's a fun hike.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Capitol Reef fucken owns. Most underrated National Park. The waterpocket fold is probably the most beautiful/coolest geology thing I can think of. Full monocline, baby

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

The Rat posted:

End of next month I'll be hitting Grand Staircase, South Coyote Buttes (woop woop advance permit), Natural Bridges and Arches.

Assuming no disasters happen, anyways.

Trying to talk the gf into a quick stop at the Black Canyon on the way back, just so she can see it.

You gonna hit the Druid Arch in Canyonlands? That's a fun hike.

Haven’t put together the itinerary quite yet but it’s on the list.

What I’m super pumped about is having a cabin at The View hotel, which is the only lodging on Navajo land immediately in front of Monument Valley. Don’t have to go farther than the porch for astro and panoramic shots.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Capitol reef was cool, but we only had time for the scenic drive and a walk through the canyon to the pioneer registry. Those narrow canyons were baller. Didn't hit up the waterpocket fold, really should have. Just the varied terrain in general in Utah is amazing, black mountains in the distance, red canyon walls and buttes spread across the plains, and then that moon dust gray area just outside of capitol reef was just unexpected and cool with those visible red rock stripes. Tomorrow and sunday is arches and canyonlands, if i do sunrise I'm thinking Sunday. It'll be freezing rear end cold so probably fewer people.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
nah, you did see the waterpocket fold and just didn't realize. It's about a hundred miles long, and the highway into the east side of the park runs right along the fold axis of it for miles

edit: the whole "reef" is a result of that deformation. The stretch of Utah 24 I have in mind is just a place where it's plainly obvious that the strata on both sides of the road are the same depositional unit, now displaced from each other as different legs of that monoclinal folding

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 8, 2020

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Slim Pickens posted:

Capitol reef was cool, but we only had time for the scenic drive and a walk through the canyon to the pioneer registry. Those narrow canyons were baller. Didn't hit up the waterpocket fold, really should have. Just the varied terrain in general in Utah is amazing, black mountains in the distance, red canyon walls and buttes spread across the plains, and then that moon dust gray area just outside of capitol reef was just unexpected and cool with those visible red rock stripes. Tomorrow and sunday is arches and canyonlands, if i do sunrise I'm thinking Sunday. It'll be freezing rear end cold so probably fewer people.

Hell yeah if it's cold you might not have to struggle with a crowd at the Mesa Arch for the classic sunrise shot. Depends on if the forecast is clear or not as well.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Might be a few clouds, or there might be snow. Oh boy!

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

nah, you did see the waterpocket fold and just didn't realize. It's about a hundred miles long, and the highway into the east side of the park runs right along the fold axis of it for miles

edit: the whole "reef" is a result of that deformation. The stretch of Utah 24 I have in mind is just a place where it's plainly obvious that the strata on both sides of the road are the same depositional unit, now displaced from each other as different legs of that monoclinal folding

Oh yeah, that pale green line running along the scenic route? I thought that was it. We just didn't take the detour to the lookout point right by the east entrance sign.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Even if there's clouds, you might get lucky. My Mesa Arch sunrise shot was on a cloudy morning and there was that nice five minute sun burst through the clouds.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Anybody have any opinions about North Face's poly base layers? Backcountry.com has a good sale going on them and I might pick a top and bottom set up

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Keep an eye (and maybe a camera) skyward, Betelgeuse is being weird.

facialimpediment posted:

Completely outside of my usual posting topic, the star Betelgeuse might blow up into a supernova sometime soon! Or not. Maybe. They're not really sure!

https://twitter.com/betelbot/status/1226583476222275584

From what I gather, Betelgeuse is a weird star that gets brighter/dimmer in cycles, which scientists have been tracking. But lately, it has been dimming below its previously observed lows. That could be a sign that all of its fuel is about to be used up, leading to a kaboomey supernova! But scientists have no idea how long that dim-to-supernova cycle actually takes. Could be hours, could be years! Who knows!?

If it does happen, we won't all be dead (unfortunately), but we'll have a second moon in the sky for a while.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Well that star is 600 something light years away, so whatever it’s doing happened during the Middle Ages.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Shameless plug, but I’m selling a couple of Kuhl hiking shirts over in Sa-Mart.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Had some pelicans come up and check us out while we were cleaning up a local canal.

My old job was focused on cleaning beaches and areas within a National Park on the ocean, and my volunteers and I pulled out nearly 14,000 lbs of garbage since December

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Any of you drive the Monument Valley scenic loop in a sedan? Pricing out rental cars and a sedan would save me several hundred dollars vs getting an SUV.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Went up to RMNP and was off on the trail before dawn.

Managed to get some of the dawn glow on Dream lake here.

Scurried on quickly to Emerald, but unfortunately, low clouds to the east prevented the dawn glow from keeping on.

Went on to Lake Haiyaha, which was a pain as the trail was not that well defined and very angular. Ankles definitely got a workout.

Under the ice shelf. It was more extensive than this, but I couldn't get my camera/tripod any further.

Above ground.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Lake Haiyaha has that short scrambling section yea?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Not exactly, it's just that the snow on the trail wasn't very well tramped down. So a good portion of it was very much slanted sideways. Snowshoes were necessary to stop from post holing, but they didn't help with the angle.

There are lots of rocks there if you wanted to scramble around. Tons of neat ice formations around the rocks too. I just didn't hang out long cause the wind was blasting and I was starting to feel it.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Just finished this upper up and got it zeroed. Third upper this gun has worn so far. And I'm still TECHNICALLY on track with last year's new year's resolution of no buying any new guns. (Which will probably continue for a while given the ridiculous feeding frenzy happening at gun stores all over.)

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Hold up when'd you get a MAWL

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I traded my two DBAL-A3's for this one last spring, and sold off my PredatOBR to fund another one a few months later.

Having used this one at last fall's night 3-gun match, it fuckin owns. Was illuminating better than a dude who had a full power PEQ-15.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

There are enough people with NVG and IR lasers to do a night match? Heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Flashlights work too