Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I stumbled across the dumbest tv show on Discovery Channel: Man vs. Bear. The concept is dumb enough (can you out-bear a bear?) but what really pushes it over the edge is the contestants. It's all (male and female) bros who talks about how they are natural alphas who's hobbies are deadlifting cars and getting in barfights and they smack talks the bears for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Alhazred posted:

I stumbled across the dumbest tv show on Discovery Channel: Man vs. Bear. The concept is dumb enough (can you out-bear a bear?) but what really pushes it over the edge is the contestants. It's all (male and female) bros who talks about how they are natural alphas who's hobbies are deadlifting cars and getting in barfights and they smack talks the bears for some reason.

It's Discovery just doing bear pro wrestling then? I guess it was inevitable.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

All I knew about Man vs. Bear was the title and I thought it was some kind of survival competition show with contestants against Bear Grylls, now I want to see people dropped in survival situations while being chased by Grylls in a bear suit.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oh that bear. That's not as fun. Unless the vs part is him making them drink his piss and eat rotting animal carcasses for no reason.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Re: Hannibal Chat - :allears:

Alhazred posted:

McSpanky posted:

All I knew about Man vs. Bear was the title and I thought it was some kind of survival competition show with contestants against Bear Grylls, now I want to see people dropped in survival situations while being chased by Grylls in a bear suit.

Wait so do they fight a real bear or Bear the humanperson? Because one sounds needlessly cruel and the other just sounds dumb...

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

McSpanky posted:

I know I mention this every time someone Hannibal comes up but, Dolarhyde's faked suicide in season 3 is incredibly hosed up and I can't believe they got it to network uncensored. Like I was in legit open-mouthed shock. Few horror movies ever affected me like that.

The scene where the guy escapes from the color wheel body mural and peels his skin off his face is loving gruesome and I was also shocked that made it past the censors.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m not sure anything tops Katz’s death for me. It’s so cold and gruesome and the way it’s revealed is incredible. I genuinely dislike thinking about it because it’s right on the edge of my comfort level with gore in tv/movies. I’m not squeamish by any means, but Hannibal often skirted that line because it never shied away from it. A lot of shows do bloody stuff but it’s all quick flashes just to leave an impression. Hannibal would focus on stuff for solid minutes in horrifying detail.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Rarity posted:

Women aren't obligated to give men attention hth

that's not the point I was making. It doesn't matter that she's a woman, she could have been a guy and it wouldn't have changed the meaning of the scene I'm talking about. He was trying out different hairstyles for his avatar and was showing it to someone whose opinion he must have valued (seeing as he didn't show it to the scumbag next to him) and she brushes him off, doing exactly what Bing did to her.

Her gender doesn't matter in this instance, it just demonstrates that everyone is lovely and tunnel-visioned

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Hannibal was really, really, instantly gory in way I haven't seen on network TV since.

I associate the Lecter character more with Mads now than I do with Hopkins.

Mads played Hannibal like he was the loving devil.

And I have no idea how Fuller & Co. got away with a fraction of the gore that was presented on a network broadcast.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Lily Aldrin, worst human being ever or worst human being ever

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Gonz posted:

I associate the Lecter character more with Mads now than I do with Hopkins.

Mads played Hannibal like he was the loving devil.

And I have no idea how Fuller & Co. got away with a fraction of the gore that was presented on a network broadcast.

I listened to Blank Check's recent episode on Silence of the Lambs as part of their Jonathan Demme series and I liked their comparison that Mads is the devil while Hopkins is a vampire. Also that Silence of the Lambs isn't actually very gory but that we've had almost three decades of every big crime procedural on television copying it while trying to push the envelope and going big and lingering on ever detail of the aftermath of a crime (fancy CGI zoom-ins and cross-sections, fetishistic portrayals of traumatized victims, monologuing killers going on about how good it feels and how monstrous they are) so Hannibal was a product of reaction to that. Another point I really like was the way that Clarice's relationship with Hannibal is him as a mentor compared to him and Will Graham being partners.

The theoretical fourth season of Hannibal with Lee Pace playing Buffalo Bill could have been really good but at the same time it would be so different from everything the show had built up that I don't really lose sleep over what could have been, especially considering that Fuller himself was more interested in doing American Gods to the point where he actively declined immediately starting production on a fourth season with Amazon because he wanted to jump ship to his new show. Considering that Mikkelsen's film career has slowed down a bit and Fuller has been booted from every project he's started since then and everyone involved with the show speaks so highly of the experience I honestly wouldn't be surprised if sometime in the future they were able to make a one-season revival/miniseries to wrap it up.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Just realised that this thread had an entire discussion about recent good time travel shows and we completely neglected to mention Dark.

Dark rules. Watch Dark.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Just realised that this thread had an entire discussion about recent good time travel shows and we completely neglected to mention Dark.

Dark rules. Watch Dark.

I haven't watched it yet. If it's not filmed in Canada is it really a time travel show though?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Re: Hannibal Chat - :allears:

Wait so do they fight a real bear or Bear the humanperson? Because one sounds needlessly cruel and the other just sounds dumb...

I don't think they fight anybody. Its a dumb ancient warriors thing where they do competitions and compare the results.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Dark rules. Watch Dark.

I thought about mentioning it but I haven't finished it yet

GreenNight posted:

I haven't watched it yet. If it's not filmed in Canada is it really a time travel show though?

Yes

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dark is so good

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dark IS so good.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

gently caress. Ok. I just started the first episode.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Shrill season 2 came out the other day and it's just as funny and sweet as the first. Annie is smart and honest and insecure and vulnerable and I can't help but fall in love with Aidy Bryant.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also for Dark they've been up front about having everything planned out for 3 seasons (which it was renewed for) so there's no worries about it ending up unfinished.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Random trivia question for you keepers of knowledge. I'm looking for a Friends episode that had a scene involving Rachel and Chandler. Something happened in the office and Rachel basically said she'd lie and tell all the Friends that Chandler had a big dong. Next scene is at the coffee shop and Phoebe tells Joey the rumor, and he quickly shoots it down. Any idea what episode that is?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The One With The Cuffs.

e: it's s3 or s4 i believe

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

esperterra posted:

The One With The Cuffs.

e: it's s3 or s4 i believe

You're a wizard! Thanks!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

yw, my extensive Friends knowledge is my secret shame

And by shame I mean joy bc Friends owns.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Shrill season 2 came out the other day and it's just as funny and sweet as the first. Annie is smart and honest and insecure and vulnerable and I can't help but fall in love with Aidy Bryant.

Only seen the first episode so far but it was very enjoyable.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Hannibal was really, really, instantly gory in way I haven't seen on network TV since.

the first time i was like "holy poo poo how did that get on network TV" was the angels in the 3rd or 4th episode, but the single most horrifying thing I saw during that show was Hannibal making Mason Verger eat his own face in gruesome detail, and the most shocking moment is vivisected Beverly in glass.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

That last one made me think of The Cell in the best way possible.

I wish Tarsem Singh would work on another TV show, he did that Emerald City one but I never watched it tbqh.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

esperterra posted:

I wish Tarsem Singh would work on another TV show, he did that Emerald City one but I never watched it tbqh.

The Cell and The Fall were both him largely just ripping off modern installation art, I think he ran out of things to plagiarize and between that and Eiko Ishioka dying he just went "welp I guess I'll just do edgy fairy tale retellings til I die"

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Hannibal owned so much. I really need to rewatch that. The real house they used for Hannibal's house is just a few blocks away from me and I go out of my way to walk by it whenever I can and gawk and remember how gorgeous they made it look in Mizumono :allears:

Dark is also very good but I'm just waiting until the final season is out to get back to it. There is way too much going on in that show to not watch it for an extended amount of time between seasons and actually remember everything you need to remember.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Dark is great but it took us 3 tries over a long time to really get into it but once we did we binged it all. The biggest barrier was being sober and/or pay attention enough to remember who was who. In the old thread someone posted a chart of the timeline and characters and it was helpful.

Yo Esperterra, do you know anything about Fran Drescher's upcoming Indebted series?

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Double post

el oso fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 26, 2020

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

pahuyuth posted:

Yo Esperterra, do you know anything about Fran Drescher's upcoming Indebted series?

Heck yes I do!

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Sleeveless posted:

The Cell and The Fall were both him largely just ripping off modern installation art, I think he ran out of things to plagiarize and between that and Eiko Ishioka dying he just went "welp I guess I'll just do edgy fairy tale retellings til I die"

You do know that cross-sectionals existed before Damien Hirst, right?

e: I didn't notice who I had quoted. I apologize for engaging.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

esperterra posted:

I watched it because of Singh, but couldn't make it through the second episode. It was just boring.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm watching some scenes from The Witcher to see if it's for me and, man, I far prefer the sort of fantasy where using magic requires spell-casting. When it looks like superpowers it's pretty lame. In one of these modern fantasy shows I'd love to see a good depiction of someone reading a spell off of a dang scroll for once.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

I'm watching some scenes from The Witcher to see if it's for me and, man, I far prefer the sort of fantasy where using magic requires spell-casting. When it looks like superpowers it's pretty lame. In one of these modern fantasy shows I'd love to see a good depiction of someone reading a spell off of a dang scroll for once.

Some day I'll get my Eternal Darkness miniseries off the ground

bigE
Nov 26, 2004

Oh, ye of little faith.

McSpanky posted:

Some day I'll get my Eternal Darkness miniseries off the ground

Make sure you do it on Amazon Prime, so Alexa can start turning the TV off in the middle and stuff like that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anyone else running into super long Youtube ads? Like I was just watching a video and when it went to an ad break it went into a 44 minute video that was just the first episode of that new Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist show. Who is going to stop watching the video they were watching to watch an entire episode of a TV show?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I had the same one a week or two ago.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's a marketing gimmick I've seen a couple of times now. Also by nature of the way YouTube ads work there's probably an actual YT video that it redirects to if you click on the ad. They just want a small percentage of viewers to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

Anyone else running into super long Youtube ads? Like I was just watching a video and when it went to an ad break it went into a 44 minute video that was just the first episode of that new Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist show. Who is going to stop watching the video they were watching to watch an entire episode of a TV show?

Very bored and very stoned people make up a decent percentage of YouTube viewers.

Also, turns out Witcher good. I really like the tone—it's way campier than I would have expected, though tastefully so. Just enough of that 90s Raimi TV attitude bubbling under the surface but without going too broad.