Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The very first footage had the character moving super slow and modern FPS is mostly dogshit so that combo made everyone think it was going to be bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I like Doomguy more than Doom Slayer. Even if maybe they're the same guy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The new game goes back and forth between saying Doom Slayer and Doom Guy.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

MrBling posted:

There is supposedly a live-action remake of The Sword in the Stone being made for Disney+ because the world can never have too many movies about King Arthur.

At least this one will be Arthur as a kid and it will have a crazy talking owl. (It better have the owl)

edit: also, reading wikipedia apparently the english version of the cartoon had 3 different voice actors for Arthur. I only ever watched the danish dub so it struck me as a bit weird.

I know this will never happen, but I really wish someone would make the other two books of The Once and Future King.

Because the obvious context is that the moment Arthur pulls out the sword is the moment hes irrovocably ruined his life.

Just having The Sword in the Stone stand along is like playing Born on the Fourth of July because it's so patriotic

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Its actually a little of both! The UAC kicked open a door into hell so they could use it as a fuel source before splitting into competing Devil Worshipper and Turbo Capitalist factions, but the demons are also interdimensional colonists who invade universes to harvest their life energy. It's got a fun dynamic where the Doomguy is basically the only guy who realizes that they're both two sides of the same coin.

Antifa doomguy is in fact the real demon

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

MrBling posted:

There is supposedly a live-action remake of The Sword in the Stone being made for Disney+ because the world can never have too many movies about King Arthur.

At least this one will be Arthur as a kid and it will have a crazy talking owl. (It better have the owl)

edit: also, reading wikipedia apparently the english version of the cartoon had 3 different voice actors for Arthur. I only ever watched the danish dub so it struck me as a bit weird.

I hope they don't change the bit where they mercilessly toy with and break the heart of an innocent lady squirrel, and then abandon her in tears while the movie continues onward, throwing hijinks at a bend-neck pace

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

You could make a decent movie set in the Halo universe, but I don’t know if it could star Master Chief. The Chief is just a bizarre character - he’s almost a silent protagonist, but not quite. Silent protagonists like Gordon Freeman are supposed to allow the player to inhabit them, but Master Chief doesn’t quite allow that. He has a backstory, motivations and talks, even if sparsely.

So, he’s a character, but just an incredibly strange one. The only thing he appears to know or care about is war. His only friend is a computer he’s in love with. The beginning of Halo 2 to the end of Halo 4 is basically the same day for him, other than implied brief hanging around between missions and a nap in the middle. At the end of Halo 3 he’s just drifting lost in space and he just casually gets in a stasis pod to wait to drift into some new enemies to fight as that’s literally the only thing he lives for.

He’s basically what happens when you try to give a gun a personality.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

The new game goes back and forth between saying Doom Slayer and Doom Guy.

Demons call him "Doom Slayer" because they're super dramatic and don't want to admit they keep getting stomped by just a guy.

Comrade Fakename posted:

You could make a decent movie set in the Halo universe, but I don’t know if it could star Master Chief. The Chief is just a bizarre character - he’s almost a silent protagonist, but not quite. Silent protagonists like Gordon Freeman are supposed to allow the player to inhabit them, but Master Chief doesn’t quite allow that. He has a backstory, motivations and talks, even if sparsely.

So, he’s a character, but just an incredibly strange one. The only thing he appears to know or care about is war. His only friend is a computer he’s in love with. The beginning of Halo 2 to the end of Halo 4 is basically the same day for him, other than implied brief hanging around between missions and a nap in the middle. At the end of Halo 3 he’s just drifting lost in space and he just casually gets in a stasis pod to wait to drift into some new enemies to fight as that’s literally the only thing he lives for.

He’s basically what happens when you try to give a gun a personality.

You could focus on the Arbiter, who has an actual personality, story arc, and good voice acting. But he's a weird alien, so that won't happen.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Focus on Master Chief, have flashbacks to reach to fill in his character arc. Never take off his helmet when the character ages past 17 or something.

Not that hard.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

ALFbrot posted:

I hope they don't change the bit where they mercilessly toy with and break the heart of an innocent lady squirrel, and then abandon her in tears while the movie continues onward, throwing hijinks at a bend-neck pace

Yeah, even child me thought that was hosed-up.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Not interested in any Halo adaptation that doesn't make it explicit that his suit jerks him off.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Thundercracker posted:

I know this will never happen, but I really wish someone would make the other two books of The Once and Future King.

Because the obvious context is that the moment Arthur pulls out the sword is the moment hes irrovocably ruined his life.

Just having The Sword in the Stone stand along is like playing Born on the Fourth of July because it's so patriotic

I would agree with you but, in actuality, forcing people to adapt the other books would probably just lead to a million versions of Lerner and Loewe’s Camelot, which I would not wish on anyone.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Alhazred posted:

I honestly think it's kinda weird that a movie about killing demons were bad but a movie about how some people are genetically predisposed to be evil was good.

Calvinism for the 21st century!

Groovelord Neato posted:

In the novels the aliens originally visited us in the Middle Ages and thought we'd still think demons were actual flesh and blood beings but we advanced faster than any known species so they didn't expect us to be space-faring when they came back.

This is like Harry Turtledove's series about aliens invading during World War II, where they thought the earth would still be at the medieval level from when their probes visited.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Disney's more than welcome to keep making live-action adaptations of their animated films, as long as the queue finally gets around to Atlantis: The Lost Empire. :colbert:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Chairman Capone posted:

This is like Harry Turtledove's series about aliens invading during World War II, where they thought the earth would still be at the medieval level from when their probes visited.

The best part is the good aliens and the demon-producing bad aliens are waging an intergalactic war over the interpretation of a book (one side is literalists and one side is deconstructionists I think).

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Chairman Capone posted:

Calvinism for the 21st century!

I actually think that poster might be conflating the two because I read all 4 increasingly stupid novels and I don't remember any of that.

I do remember they're put in a simulation of Doom 1 again, and they just convert the first imp they see to their side and amass an army to take down the Spider Mastermind.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I am not conflating the two (never read the Turtledove books). The demon-producing aliens eventually get wiped out by a species called the Newbies that advanced even faster than humans.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 27, 2020

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
The Doom novels are loving weird. IIRC the first few are fairly faithful adaptations of the games (well, as faithful any adaptation of the < 10 paragraphs of plot the original DOOM had can be). The stuff Groovelord Neato's describing doesn't really kick in until after they ran out of games to adapt and they just started making up their own crazy poo poo from scratch.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Groovelord Neato posted:

I am not conflating the two (never read the Turtledove books). The demon-producing aliens eventually get wiped out by a species called the Newbies that advanced even faster than humans.

You are correct and I am wrong.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There were two Shadow Warrior novels. I didn't make it through the first one because it's batshit insane, and written by some guy who has pumped out hundreds of lovely books. If the original game had a racism problem it is only magnified in that book. Lo Wang eats sushi off the floor, kills people indiscriminately, and shouts all of the one liners from the game in contexts that sort of make sense.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I want a King Arthur movie series that's just the medieval parts of Transformers 5.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I'm just baffled they're going back to that well when the last kid Arthur movie bombed and apparently it was good?

It's just like the Robin Hood movies that keep coming out. How many have to bomb before they stop making them?

Non Compos Mentis
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Alehkhs posted:

Disney's more than welcome to keep making live-action adaptations of their animated films, as long as the queue finally gets around to Atlantis: The Lost Empire. :colbert:

Who would play Milo though? A CGI abomination of young Michael J Fox?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Thundercracker posted:

I'm just baffled they're going back to that well when the last kid Arthur movie bombed and apparently it was good?

A Disney film that's a remake of one of their well-known animated classics and cast presumably with several globally popular actors is not really the same thing as The Kid Who Would Be King.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Groovelord Neato posted:

(never read the Turtledove books)

I like the ambiguity here, you could be saying you have never read them (quite likely), or you could be instructing us to never read them ourselves (sage advice).

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
They're literary junk food. Sometimes you need to zone out and not challenge yourself. Iirc, they never glamorize the nazis.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Thundercracker posted:

It's just like the Robin Hood movies that keep coming out. How many have to bomb before they stop making them?

Robin Hood is antifa and wasting Hollywood money on spreading his message is praxis

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Beachcomber posted:

They're literary junk food. Sometimes you need to zone out and not challenge yourself. Iirc, they never glamorize the nazis.

There's totally some clean Wehrmacht nonsense in Worldwar.

I've read almost all Turtledove novels AND all the Doom novels.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

There were two Shadow Warrior novels. I didn't make it through the first one because it's batshit insane, and written by some guy who has pumped out hundreds of lovely books. If the original game had a racism problem it is only magnified in that book. Lo Wang eats sushi off the floor, kills people indiscriminately, and shouts all of the one liners from the game in contexts that sort of make sense.

I’m amazed they made novelizations

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

From what I remember, Otto Skorzeny was one of the most charismatic and likeable characters (right up until the main characters kill him in the last book). That being said it's good the series was written in the 90s because I think Turtledove is one of the many people whose brains were broken by 9/11. Even before then, he wrote a story where all elves are killed off because one visited our world and Gaëtan Dugas infected him with AIDS.

I think he also wrote some fantasy book where an SS officer is sent into a Middle Earth type place and helps the elves commit genocide against the dwarves?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I want a King Arthur movie where they go all in on the crazy magic and over-the-top anime power levels.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

From what I remember, Otto Skorzeny was one of the most charismatic and likeable characters (right up until the main characters kill him in the last book). That being said it's good the series was written in the 90s because I think Turtledove is one of the many people whose brains were broken by 9/11. Even before then, he wrote a story where all elves are killed off because one visited our world and Gaëtan Dugas infected him with AIDS.

I think he also wrote some fantasy book where an SS officer is sent into a Middle Earth type place and helps the elves commit genocide against the dwarves?

If Turtledove got his brain broke by 9/11, it sure as hell seems like it got fused back together with Trump. That dude is like one of the most ardent Trumpist-hater and will slug it out with Twitter Nazis and Confederate apologists who have misread him. It's one of the really surprising twists in this whole farce.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Young Freud posted:

If Turtledove got his brain broke by 9/11, it sure as hell seems like it got fused back together with Trump. That dude is like one of the most ardent Trumpist-hater and will slug it out with Twitter Nazis and Confederate apologists who have misread him. It's one of the really surprising twists in this whole farce.

Only book I read of him had a black communist rebellion in the Confederacy.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MonsieurChoc posted:

I want a King Arthur movie where they go all in on the crazy magic and over-the-top anime power levels.

I feel like I know exactly what you're thinking of here :v:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

MonsieurChoc posted:

The guy richie one sorta did

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm telling you people, Zack Snyder's Fate/Stay Night

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

I’m amazed they made novelizations
It wasn't even a novelization. It was a story about Lo Wang fighting a mad scientist who was trying to slam all the continents back into Pangaea.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Chairman Capone posted:

I think Turtledove is one of the many people whose brains were broken by 9/11. Even before then, he wrote a story where all elves are killed off because one visited our world and Gaëtan Dugas infected him with AIDS.

I don't remember any of this. He did do a pro-Iraq War analogue book that was pretty lovely. And the fantasy novel has the Wehrmacht dude get sick of murder for what that's worth (not much). Turtledove books suck but I've been reading them for 3/4 of my life and can't stop now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Road Not Taken seems to be the most famous Turtledove story probably because it's no longer than it needs to be to get the point across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I feel like I know exactly what you're thinking of here :v:

Well, yes, but I'd love to see a very different take that still went high magic instead of the usual more realistic version we usually get. Excalibur was loving great.

got any sevens posted:

The guy richie one sorta did

I have yet to watch it. It didn't seem very good.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I'm telling you people, Zack Snyder's Fate/Stay Night

I'd watch it. Good or bad, it would be entertaining.