Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Abongination posted:

The prequel monstrosity is not how the original y-wing looked factory fresh.

That’s this fella here with all its cowling still on.

You know, they could have had the Y-wings in TRoS look like that. That would have been a nice reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

General Grievous' fighter thing was neat, like a 1920s/30s race plane

I forgot how cool that was.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

They used this thing as the CIS bomber in Classic Battlefront 2. It's a rad design.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Fair Hallion posted:

Can these fighters actually accommodate an astromech droid, they don't look deep enough.
Is it just a built in head?

There was originally a plan for a scene in Attack of the Clones where Obi-Wan's droid to come out of its hole and get attacked by dogs or something, where it would be like a much flatter droid than normal, but that was scrubbed.

I like to think that's still true though.

I kinda like how Anakin's first Jedi Starfighter was ridiculously modded because of course Anakin would want to have a bunch of extra performance beyond the base model and would do a bunch of tinkering.

I don't know if it's a sign of maturity or a sign of just boring design that later he'd just have a Jedi Starfighter like all the others but yellow. It wouldn't even surprise me if the later one wasn't even Anakin's specifically and he just never got the chance to mod it.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

There was originally a plan for a scene in Attack of the Clones where Obi-Wan's droid to come out of its hole and get attacked by dogs or something, where it would be like a much flatter droid than normal, but that was scrubbed.

I like to think that's still true though.

I kinda like how Anakin's first Jedi Starfighter was ridiculously modded because of course Anakin would want to have a bunch of extra performance beyond the base model and would do a bunch of tinkering.

I don't know if it's a sign of maturity or a sign of just boring design that later he'd just have a Jedi Starfighter like all the others but yellow. It wouldn't even surprise me if the later one wasn't even Anakin's specifically and he just never got the chance to mod it.

They kept him busy. One of the ongoing things in Clone Wars is Anakin being EXTREMELY possessive of his ships, even random garbage freighters he picked up for one mission.

Something that there's more than a little fandom consensus about is that Anakin's slave background and interest in tinkering means he hoards whatever scrap he thinks might be useful or cool, and he overengineers the hell out of literally everything he gets the chance to work with.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Abongination posted:

The prequel monstrosity is not how the original y-wing looked factory fresh.

That’s this fella here with all its cowling still on.

"Custom turbo modifications"

So the Y-Wing is actually even slower stock? :psyduck:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Polaron posted:

"Custom turbo modifications"

So the Y-Wing is actually even slower stock? :psyduck:

the pilot has to get out and push it

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Dooku’s Space Sail was classy as hell too. Palpatine knew how to pick them.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Triple laser cannon

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PinheadSlim posted:

If that counts then say hello to my favorite starfighter, the RB-79 Ball

The Core Fighter is a pretty cool starfighter too

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Is Boba Fett's ship a fighter? It seemed aerobatic and small-ish enough to count.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Is Boba Fett's ship a fighter? It seemed aerobatic and small-ish enough to count.

I'd call it a starfighter since it did pretty well in a dogfight with a Jedi starfighter. It was originally designed as a "patrol ship" and it's job would be to patrol (duh) and guard stuff like prison moons or whatever. It was heavily armed and had a lot of internal room for a combat ship, it could even take on passengers and had cots to sleep on.

When Jango Fett stole his I think he blew up the factory that made them, making his the only one left. Then he modified it to have even more weapons/sensors and replaced some of the living space with a small brig for prisoners.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

pwe pwe pwe pwe pwe pwe pwe pwe pwe pwe pwe

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

It can starfight, but considering what it's used for, I wouldn't really say it's a "starfighter." The Falcon is considered a "Light Freighter," and the Slave 1 is a step down from that. I'd consider it an Assault Shuttle or a Gunboat, if we wanted to get technical about it - but Wookiepedia has it listed as an "Interceptor."

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 26, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

It's about the size of Han Solo's light freighter, so I think not. It handles like a cow in Rogue Squadron too.

I'm not exactly sure how good the Millennium Falcon actually is at hauling freight either, but I guess it's about the size of a small house with some extensive living quarters, so there's probably room for a lot of boxes.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm not exactly sure how good the Millennium Falcon actually is at hauling freight either, but I guess it's about the size of a small house with some extensive living quarters, so there's probably room for a lot of boxes.

I always really liked the idea from this image

Space freight train!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's about the size of Han Solo's light freighter, so I think not. It handles like a cow in Rogue Squadron too.

I'd say Slave I is a borderline case because Jango was able to go 1 vs. 1 with a Jedi in a starfighter designed specifically for Jedi, which clearly puts its maneuverability and the designers' intent in a starfighter category despite its size and larger living space.

Guttlesswonder
Mar 17, 2006

I'll take two adult and two kids tickets for "Alien Erection" please
It's all about the HWK-290 Kyle Katarn flew around while turning into a Sith Lord.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Guttlesswonder posted:

It's all about the HWK-290 Kyle Katarn flew around while turning into a Sith Lord.

For a moment I thought that there was a cross-sections book of EU ships that I had missed, but apparently it's some well done fanart.

Man, I used to love those cross-sections books (and the ones that were the same idea with locations instead of ships), did they even make any for the new movies?

(Edit: Apparently yes.)

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 26, 2020

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

SlothfulCobra posted:

it holds one locker-full of hutt cocaine, cuz chewie doesn't wear clothes.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

For a moment I thought that there was a cross-sections book of EU ships that I had missed, but apparently it's some well done fanart.

Man, I used to love those cross-sections books (and the ones that were the same idea with locations instead of ships), did they even make any for the new movies?

(Edit: Apparently yes.)

I was hoping the artist had some more EU cross-sections like that and uh...

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

pwe pwe pwe pwe pwe pwe pwe pwe pwe pwe pwe

between the seismic charges and these lasers, the slave 1 makes some really good sounds

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

El Burbo posted:

between the seismic charges and these lasers, the slave 1 makes some really good sounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ME5jhsgmB4

a fine starfight imo

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

The millennium falcon is the space equivalent of a kick rear end van with a dragon and wizard airbrushed on the side.

An xwing is the space equivalent of a gen 2 Camaro.

A-wings are one of those fast and the furious import racers.

Y-wings are el caminos.

B-wings are one of those chevy ssr's, or weird concept cars that make sense when you tilt your head and squint.

Tie fighters are cop cars.

e: The naboo starfighter is a 1965 aston martin

Queen-Of-Hearts fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 27, 2020

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Lawman 0 posted:

This guy has good taste

As do you, mon ami.

I lived and breathed these games for years. I wish the Star Wars mod would hurry up and release.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

sits kinda like a bat

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
More like a praying mantis, given those designs on the wing.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu1mErAxKf4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXkW-zrnqwM

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

B-wings are one of those chevy ssr's, or weird concept cars that make sense when you tilt your head and squint.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Does that cockpit rotate?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I wouldn't call the B-wing my favorite exactly but this sequence rules hard because it's a direct reference to the opening of The Rocketeer, and that movie was directed by the guy who designed the B-wing. Rebels has a bunch of super deep cuts like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NELo74udR7A

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Oh cool, even the music borrows from The Rocketeer. God i loved that movie as a kid.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
My favorite of the Wings has to be the Sch.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Moon Slayer posted:

I wouldn't call the B-wing my favorite exactly but this sequence rules hard because it's a direct reference to the opening of The Rocketeer, and that movie was directed by the guy who designed the B-wing. Rebels has a bunch of super deep cuts like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NELo74udR7A

wait what

was that combined laser thing ever mentioned before this cartoon?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Flavius Aetass posted:

wait what

was that combined laser thing ever mentioned before this cartoon?

I don't think so. They were just all standard laser cannons.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

They don't end up using that void-ray combo after, think something is said about it being impractical and expensive on a craft that still needs to have high production numbers

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Hello can I post my original starfighters in this thread?

I made them 15 years ago I humbly request you do NOT steal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Mooey Cow posted:

Hello can I post my original starfighters in this thread?

I made them 15 years ago I humbly request you do NOT steal.

those are rad. i always wished i had the patience for model building so that i couldve gotten into kitbashing to make up space nonsense