Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Daala was basically kaitlin bennett in the star wars universe, dont @ me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

You could fill a whole thread just from the crazy poo poo in Tales of the Jedi. Like the Sith Lord that was just a severed head:

Or the dinosaur Jedi:

Or the tree Jedi:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lord Hydronium posted:

You could fill a whole thread just from the crazy poo poo in Tales of the Jedi. Like the Sith Lord that was just a severed head:

Or the dinosaur Jedi:

Or the tree Jedi:

i love the old republic poo poo. even that dumb MMO has some ok stuff in it.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

somewhere on the internet i have an account where the password is corran. if you can successfully hack into that account please let me know what it was for

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Wedge Antilles, Tycho Celchu, Hobbie Klivian and Wes Jason once got stranded on a planet of people who were obsessed with dueling using rapiers with blasters instead of a sharp tip.

It was inspired by The Three Musketeers, and the planet was called Adumar after Alexandre Dumas.

In a separate book, a group of Chiss (Thrawn's race) successfully managed to keep a bunch of hostile aliens in the dark as to what a Jedi can actually do by being assholes to Luke and Mara.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Polaron posted:

Wedge Antilles, Tycho Celchu, Hobbie Klivian and Wes Jason once got stranded on a planet of people who were obsessed with dueling using rapiers with blasters instead of a sharp tip.

It was inspired by The Three Musketeers, and the planet was called Adumar after Alexandre Dumas.

This book also contains the best pun of all time.

refresher course

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

this is such bullshit. unless there's a giant moth around, there's no way a dinosaur loses a fight to anything.

stick with the laser sword, humanoid, for he is a false master.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Don't forget this goatman Jedi

Lord Farfalla led the Army of Light against the evil Sith forces, from the deck of his space ship.

(This comic, Jedi vs Sith, is also filled with Child Soldiers and genocide. Star Wars is fuckin weird.)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Polaron posted:

In a separate book, a group of Chiss (Thrawn's race) successfully managed to keep a bunch of hostile aliens in the dark as to what a Jedi can actually do by being assholes to Luke and Mara.

that second one ruled, havent read xwing though

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Polaron posted:

Oh wow, is that what Starfighters of Adumar is about? That sounds kind of awesome.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Chicks dig Sith eyes

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Polaron posted:

That's literally taken from Galaxy Express 999. Captain Harlock uses that exact weapon.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Hazo posted:

Oh wow, is that what Starfighters of Adumar is about? That sounds kind of awesome.

Starfighters of Adumar is a legitimately fun space opera book that just happens to take place in the Star Wars universe, and has some really funny writing to boot. It's not going to go down in the pantheon of Great Sci-Fi Literature or anything but there are some really fun action sequences, they give a sort of less-advanced outsider's view of X-Wings and TIE Fighters and, as Zoran said, it has the best pun in the entire history of the franchise.

Gulping Again posted:

That's literally taken from Galaxy Express 999. Captain Harlock uses that exact weapon.

I've not seen that but does he still have to poke someone in order for the shooty part to work? Because the ones in Starfighters are literally described as "a gun that you have to stab someone with in order to shoot them", which is so stupid it wraps back around to awesome (and this is 100% deliberate on the author's part, based on the pilots' reactions to the things).

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Polaron posted:

Starfighters of Adumar is a legitimately fun space opera book that just happens to take place in the Star Wars universe, and has some really funny writing to boot. It's not going to go down in the pantheon of Great Sci-Fi Literature or anything but there are some really fun action sequences, they give a sort of less-advanced outsider's view of X-Wings and TIE Fighters and, as Zoran said, it has the best pun in the entire history of the franchise.

I've not seen that but does he still have to poke someone in order for the shooty part to work? Because the ones in Starfighters are literally described as "a gun that you have to stab someone with in order to shoot them", which is so stupid it wraps back around to awesome (and this is 100% deliberate on the author's part, based on the pilots' reactions to the things).

The Gravity Saber is fully functional as a sword or a blaster, despite not having an edge or even a visible energy field. Somehow it uses a gravitational field to cut things, which sounds Not Pleasant.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This is Voolvif Monn, the wolfman jedi.

Genndy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars miniseries had an online vote on which of 3 Jedi to put into an upcoming episode, and he was what the internet chose, probably because of furries. When the episode came out, his scene was boring and ultimately pointless and would be entirely forgettable if you didn't know that he was the result of some internet thing. He also got trapped in a bubble in a later montage of Anakin being cool.

The two runner-up Jedi, the Talz Foul Moudama and the Ithorian Roron Corobb, would join Shaak Ti in defending Supreme Chancellor Palpatine in a much longer and cooler sequence where each of them showcased their unique skills and powers before ultimately being brutally slaughtered by General Grievous, which is what would happen to most Jedi soon anyways.

Suck it, internet.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Why do writers feel the need to create new (and horrible) species? Like, there are already 1,000 different types. There is more than enough material to have 10+ different species in every book ever made.

This is just ridiculous.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Why do writers feel the need to create new (and horrible) species? Like, there are already 1,000 different types. There is more than enough material to have 10+ different species in every book ever made.

This is just ridiculous.

There was a wolfman in A New Hope.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

This is just ridiculous.

mostly because they don't read each others' work. most star wars authors, historically, started writing based on what they knew from the movies and a few plot points that lucasfilm wanted them to hit. having even a passing familiarity with the prominent species in the galaxy (according to the EU, because the movies avoid putting anything like that into context) was generally not a requirement.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

This is just ridiculous.

creating new things is good imo. the more wacky aliens the better

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Polaron posted:

There was a wolfman in A New Hope.

Yeah I know that but come on, a rabbit alien?

cuntman.net posted:

creating new things is good imo. the more wacky aliens the better

More isn't always better.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

its an entire galaxy. yes it is

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jazerus posted:

mostly because they don't read each others' work. most star wars authors, historically, started writing based on what they knew from the movies and a few plot points that lucasfilm wanted them to hit. having even a passing familiarity with the prominent species in the galaxy (according to the EU, because the movies avoid putting anything like that into context) was generally not a requirement.

Star Wars does/did have a continuity team in charge of tracking on all this stuff and making sure no one got too out of line. Rest assured that someone approved everything in this thread.

SlothfulCobra posted:

This is Voolvif Monn, the wolfman jedi.

Genndy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars miniseries had an online vote on which of 3 Jedi to put into an upcoming episode, and he was what the internet chose, probably because of furries. When the episode came out, his scene was boring and ultimately pointless and would be entirely forgettable if you didn't know that he was the result of some internet thing. He also got trapped in a bubble in a later montage of Anakin being cool.

The two runner-up Jedi, the Talz Foul Moudama and the Ithorian Roron Corobb, would join Shaak Ti in defending Supreme Chancellor Palpatine in a much longer and cooler sequence where each of them showcased their unique skills and powers before ultimately being brutally slaughtered by General Grievous, which is what would happen to most Jedi soon anyways.

Suck it, internet.

At a fairly tight two hours, the Tartakovsky Clone Wars series is still the best Clone Wars thing we've ever gotten, although not even he can make Anakin or Padme any good.

Vernii posted:

That was afterwards actually. She got together a meeting of a bunch of admirals and was like "i'm in charge now" and when they laughed at her she nerve gassed them all. Then she used her fleet to nuke a bunch of civilian targets before picking a fighting with those trainees and uselessly squandering her fleet once again.

Also the original designer of the Death Star was some guy named Bevel Lemelisk who kept getting executed and cloned by Palpatine every time he hosed up or the emperor just felt like it. This includes being eaten by piranha beetles and thrown into a pool of molten copper. Eventually the New Republic arrested and killed him too.

Yeah, and his final project is building a superlaser for a Hutt (Darksaber) that doesn't work because they fast-tracked the production with incompetent nanobots. If the New Republic hadn't shown up to stop them, it wouldn't have made any difference, as the Darksaber blows up when they try to fire it.

This card game sucks super balls but it was all me and my friends were playing in high school in the 90's. At no point was it ever balanced or fun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Customizable_Card_Game

quote:

While Decipher oversaw the game, no card was ever banned from tournament play. Instead, when a card or strategy was deemed abusive or too powerful, Decipher chose to release "magic bullets," new cards which were specifically designed to counter the offending strategy. In some cases, Decipher also used errata, modifications to game text of a card that supersede the actual printed version. The use of errata also contributes to a steep learning curve, since players need to be aware of the current meta-game at all times.

This is insanely terrible design, but of course there's an entire cult of people playing this game 19 years after it went out of print.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
I played the terrible star wars CCG as a kid. The "best" games were the ones where one player had a deck focused on ground battles and the other had a deck focused on ships and you spent the whole game not interacting with each other at all.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Agnostalgia posted:

I played the terrible star wars CCG as a kid. The "best" games were the ones where one player had a deck focused on ground battles and the other had a deck focused on ships and you spent the whole game not interacting with each other at all.

You could also play a deck intended to never interact with your opponent, where you just force drained their territories and skipped town before the much slower Imperial ships could do anything.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004
All this time I thought Selonians were cat people. Huh.

The Corellian trilogy was a fun series of books about Han Solo's cousin Hitler sal Solo cutting off the internet and Lando using Luke Skywalker to convince prospective wives to talk to him.

Dash Rendar posted:

oh god i remember reading that one. the frog was called Moruth Doole or something like that and he forced Han to mine for spice in a pitch black underground tunnel.

Didn't his right hand man have some kind of lovely double barreled blaster where the shots would meet a foot away from the gun and merge into some kind of lovely laser birdshot or something.

Doloen fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 27, 2020

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the best star wars ancillary matter is the marvel comics from the 1970s-80s, and the tartakovsky clone wars

i will not be taking questions

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Sodomy Hussein posted:

At a fairly tight two hours, the Tartakovsky Clone Wars series is still the best Clone Wars thing we've ever gotten, although not even he can make Anakin or Padme any good.

Don’t do this. It was fun but don’t act like it was in any way “good”. Threepio striptease? Dooku’s only line being “Indeed”? Anakin and mutant mole people? Cmon.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Tartakovsky Clone Wars is really fun, but all it really is is cool, and it's over the top in such a way that it makes not jive with the rest of the series with how much damage Mace Windu can do but in the movies all he can do is some basic sword fighting.

The Clone Wars doesn't have crazy fights, but it's an all around stronger show that does a lot to better communicate the points of the prequels than the prequel movies do.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Squizzle posted:

the best star wars ancillary matter is the marvel comics from the 1970s-80s, and the tartakovsky clone wars

i will not be taking questions

that's a really weird spelling for the rogue/wraith squadron books. minus corran horn, of course.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Brute Squad posted:

that's a really weird spelling for the rogue/wraith squadron books. minus corran horn, of course.

guards

seize this miscreant

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
reading your posts

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

greedo's corpse was juiced for whiskey flavoring by the bartender in mos eisley, due to his incredibly intoxicating aroma

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 27, 2020

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hazo posted:

Don’t do this. It was fun but don’t act like it was in any way “good”. Threepio striptease? Dooku’s only line being “Indeed”? Anakin and mutant mole people? Cmon.

Nothing's perfect! Anakin and the Mole People is the worst episode, followed up by any episode following Padme and C-3P0.

Notably the Clone Wars TV series does a lot more to follow up on this depiction of the Clone Wars than what we ended up with in Episode III. The failure of the prequels is epitomized in Lucas somehow wasting Christopher Lee as a bad guy.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Revenge of the Sith was probably an extremely happy place for Lee compared to Charlie of the Chocolate Factory.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Jazerus posted:

greedo's corpse was juiced for whiskey flavoring by the bartender in mos eisley, due to his incredibly intoxicating aroma

the goat dude was extorting an alien refugee lady for sex but it turns out that those aliens eat their mates

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Two of the planets in the Corellian system are locked in a binary orbit around eachother with a space station in the middle where millions of people lived. It turned out that the space station was actually a giant hyperdrive and the entire Corellian system was moved to the galaxy from somewhere else, and some guy figured out how to use the hyperdrive as a giant space laser, frying the entire population of the space station in the process.

At least I think that's how it worked. That's one of those books that's real blurry to me.

Jazerus posted:

Using this droid.

Built by Squibs.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 27, 2020

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Don't forget that after the whole "BDSM Aliens From Outside The Galaxy But Not Really" were defeated, Jaina Solo's sometimes-boyfriend who was also Wedge Antilles' nephew and an adopted member of Thrawn's race came to the Jedi about a problem the Chiss were having with some telepathic bugs. The new Jedi went to investigate and because of force powers and telepathic bugs they would up becoming part of the bug hive mind and having a big giant Jedi and bug orgy including Jaina Solo, Chewbacca's Nephew, a Bad Boy Former Sith Who Is Also Jaina's Sometimes-Boyfriend, and Corran Horn's Kids (I think).

Then in the next book series Jacen Solo turned evil, kidnapped Luke's son, and had his dead brother's ex-girlfriend statutory rape him.

If you think, "none of that made sense, but I must be missing some context" no, the books were that bad by that point, and even Aaron Allison (of Wraith Squadron fame) couldn't save them.

Fun note: Aaron Allison wrote the final book of the old EU, now-non cannon "Legends" books. It was about Wraith Squadron pilots and it was called Mercy Kill.

Yoda was obviously referring to the Legends books in Last Jedi when he burned down the library and said "Read them, have you? Page turners they were not."

I have read them. This is my shame.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Star Wars was born out of pulp influence and then later it became pulp, which was only fitting. One day it will be pulp again, unless Disney elects to lock it up in a vault rather than risk being cheap and stupid.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

cheap and stupid.

too late

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's very expensively stupid right now.