Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Vanderdeath posted:

You do know that cross-sectionals existed before Damien Hirst, right?

e: I didn't notice who I had quoted. I apologize for engaging.

Is that person known for being a jackass? I'm not much into internet drama, but that post irritated me and I'd like to respond

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

A bit late to this, but:

Open Source Idiom posted:

Hannibal was part of NBC's weird trend of trying to put at least one "prestige" show on the air, even if they had no place for it at all. I remember SouthLAnd and Emerald City being other attempts to bring big dick streaming energy to the channel, neither of them being much in the way of commerical success.

TVIV one-season darling Awake was another solid example of NBC's prestige experiments.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

yea, because uh, that scene was clearly a reference to a number of things, obviously the Hirst installation, but also including the Human Bodies exhibit and a scene in the Hannibal novel... I don't think it's supposed to be 'original' in any way?

also starting rewatching Hannibal, and its eery how well they present Hannibal as an inhuman devil-like force of evil with no motives beyond abstract curiosity (also the subtle vampire cues, i.e. always asking permission before he enters a room)

Seven Hundred Bee fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 27, 2020

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Chairman Capone posted:

A bit late to this, but:

TVIV one-season darling Awake was another solid example of NBC's prestige experiments.

Awake was really cool.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Am I the only one watching The Grammys? :ohdear:

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I am, Kobe dying definitely throwing a lot of people for a loop.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Episode 4 of The Outsider aired tonight.

This show is so dark and just oozing foreboding evil. Even when two people having a casual happy drink together it's just total and complete dread. This is like someone harnessed Lost Highway into a drug and they're mainlining it till they die.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

nah i'm watching too. Lil Nas X's performance was really fun but it's been a really serious show for the most part. That Nip/Kobe tribute was really good, Ariana was really good, but so far my MVP is Demi Lovato because she loving killed it.

edit: the Aerosmith/Run DMC performance was a train wreck but honestly i kinda expected it, but the Billie Eilish one was disappointing, i wish she had done something a little more energetic.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Speaking of unexpected deaths, I'm a few episodes from being all caught up with Curb Your Enthusiasm. I'm currently on S9E9, which means up to two more episodes with Bob Einstein. The show feels a little emptier without Marty Funkhouser.

Truly, his kids are orphans now.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:lol: wth is this train wreck??? :suspense:

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

:lol: wth is this train wreck??? :suspense:

The executive producer got five minutes to do whatever he wanted, thus a "tribute to musical education"

Hey, that song I don't like ran the table. At least it was a popular one?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I’m finally getting around to watching Parks and Rec.

Boy season 7 loving sucks.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Mordiceius posted:

I’m finally getting around to watching Parks and Rec.

Boy season 7 loving sucks.

It has it's moments unlike season 1. Season 1 is so bad that I watched the first couple of episodes when it was new and didn't give it a try for years afterward since I couldn't believe that it got any better.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

esperterra posted:

Awake was really cool.

Awake was an amazing experience, everyone should watch it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Djarum posted:

It has it's moments unlike season 1. Season 1 is so bad that I watched the first couple of episodes when it was new and didn't give it a try for years afterward since I couldn't believe that it got any better.

Season 1 is something I can forgive because they were feeling themselves out.

Season 6 was great and could have ended the series. I’m only four episodes in, but Season 7 loving sucks and ruins all the characters.

My Parks and Rec season ranking:

5 > 3 > 6 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 7

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Mordiceius posted:

Season 1 is something I can forgive because they were feeling themselves out.

Season 6 was great and could have ended the series. I’m only four episodes in, but Season 7 loving sucks and ruins all the characters.

My Parks and Rec season ranking:

5 > 3 > 6 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 7

It gets better if you are only 4 episodes in. Wait until you get to the mayor stuff.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Season 7 is good once Leslie and Ron make up and has a great ending. It'd definitely better than season 6 after Anne and Chris left.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah, I hope it'll get better because boy are these first few episodes some of the worst poo poo in the world.

But I just generally don't like the time skip to begin with.

(I still stand with that they should have ended the show at the end of Season 6.)

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

the first time i was like "holy poo poo how did that get on network TV" was the angels in the 3rd or 4th episode

IIRC that's the scene that gave us the infamous "pour more blood on it" network note.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That's the same episode with the shot of the severed penis, isn't it?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DC Murderverse posted:

it, but the Billie Eilish one was disappointing, i wish she had done something a little more energetic.

Energetic and Billie Eilish seem like polar opposites to me. I’ve only heard her stuff that’s on the radio but she sounds barely conscious in it.

S7 of P and R is indeed a step down, but it’s no worse than S2 and its biggest flaw is the same one the whole show had (Tom Haverford does not die in a gas main explosion at any point) so I can’t complain too much.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Season 7 had some good bits, like the fact that Jerry made one real friend at work in Ben, and it pays off in a big bad way.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The only thing I remember particularly liking about season 7 is the future stuff because I was already tired of the show and appreciated them throwing in something goofy like that. But I really should have stopped watching in like season 3.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I really disliked the beginning of season 7 but once they got over the beef between Leslie and Ron it got better and had a very sweet ending. Like a cross between the ending of The Office and Six Feet Under, in the best way possible.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

This isn't about TV but its vaguely TV adjacent so whatever.

I've been watching the Mission Impossible movies mainly just because I realized they were all available on different streaming services at the moment so sometimes that kind of kismet just motivates me to watch something I'm kind of indifferent to in those "I don't feel like watching anything in particular" binge holes. And I'm still mostly indifferent to them. Spy stuff isn't totally my thing, but its also not not my thing. Its alright and the films are alright for what they are but I was amused to discover that the first 3 films are directed by Brian De Palma, John Woo, and JJ Abrams and that they kind of reflect the three notable director's styles. De Palma's film feels stylish and old school but kinda dated. Woo's looks better but has a sloppier story and characters and just absurd action with all the Woo slow motion, standoffs, and pigeons. And Abrams is a loaded cast (many of whom don't have near enough to do) and more focus on characters and relationships but is also just kind of overly complicated and loaded with macguffins and secrets and tricks. It's just kind of funny to me. They're all Mission Impossible movies. Tom Cruise doing silly acrobatic stunts and shooting at people in weird spy stuff that don't really make sense but are just kind of there for action scenes. But each director kind of gives them his touch.

I'm curious to see how the films directed by the guy who did The Iron Giant/Incredibles/Ratoutille and the one who did The Usual Suspects go.

Aso to make it kind of TVish seeing Keri Russell and Maggie Q in the 3 has inspired me to bump The Americans and Nikita up on my lists again.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The latest Mission Impossible was super goddamn good

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The last couple were a ton of fun. Tom Cruise is a crazy man.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I really want a Tom Cruise vs Keanu Reeves action movie. Both those guys go so balls out on doing their own stunts. Not needing stunt doubles would let you pull off some stuff you don’t really see in a lot of modern action movies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really want a Tom Cruise vs Keanu Reeves action movie. Both those guys go so balls out on doing their own stunts. Not needing stunt doubles would let you pull off some stuff you don’t really see in a lot of modern action movies.

I can't believe this hasn't happened.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

And they both don't mind getting their rear end kicked on film. Not like the dickheads such as The Rock or Jason Statham who always need to win and look cool doing it.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

STAC Goat posted:

Aso to make it kind of TVish seeing Keri Russell and Maggie Q in the 3 has inspired me to bump The Americans and Nikita up on my lists again.

The party at Hunt's house also has Jessie Pinkman, Kate from NCIS, Mellie from Scandal and Babette from Boardwalk Empire just there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Philthy posted:

Episode 4 of The Outsider aired tonight.

This show is so dark and just oozing foreboding evil. Even when two people having a casual happy drink together it's just total and complete dread. This is like someone harnessed Lost Highway into a drug and they're mainlining it till they die.

So much mood, though the long camera shots or angles centered off the action can be a bit extra. I know it's in service of creating a feeling of unease and tension but once you start to notice them, well me anyway, you start to think about how and why they shot it this way and it can be distracting.

Still great show

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rhyno posted:

I can't believe this hasn't happened.

I could very easily serr Tom Cruise having insane little primadonna poo poo in his contract like all the goofy nonsense the Fast and Furious had to deal with with Vin Diesel (e: apparently i was thinking of Jason Statham) and the Rock where like they couldn't be shown kicking the other's rear end or whatever.

I don't know that much about Keanu but i feel like it's be less likely from his end.

I'd watch that though, they're both very good at that kind of movie.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 27, 2020

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

You haven't watched many MI movies then. Tom gets his rear end beat and sometimes only wins by sheer luck.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Cruise also repeatedly dies in stupid/embarrassing ways in Edge of Tomorrow, even if they don’t stick.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GreenNight posted:

And they both don't mind getting their rear end kicked on film. Not like the dickheads such as The Rock or Jason Statham who always need to win and look cool doing it.

they do seem like the type to do the "no no, you first, ohh me? noo no Noooooo sir, I insist, poo poo and bottleneck the entire film studio at the elevators.

Except its a movie, and they argue about who gets to win the fight scene

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

bring back old gbs posted:

they do seem like the type to do the "no no, you first, ohh me? noo no Noooooo sir, I insist, poo poo and bottleneck the entire film studio at the elevators. But its winning every fight scene

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/hobbs-and-shaw-jason-statham-the-rock-fight-scene-stipulations.html/

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

i meant cruise/reeves, not those two dummies

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

zoux posted:

So much mood, though the long camera shots or angles centered off the action can be a bit extra. I know it's in service of creating a feeling of unease and tension but once you start to notice them, well me anyway, you start to think about how and why they shot it this way and it can be distracting.

Still great show

Yah, this is mainly why I think whoever is shooting this was a fan of Lost Highway, and I guess to some extent Inland Empire as well. These kinds of low long shots of just rumbling bass and dark single color lighting is what made those movies pretty special from an artsy standpoint. They're fun to simply look at and provide that extra mood for the story. I happen to love that kind of stuff so much.

We're finally getting somewhere with what is causing the murders now, and it is a Stephen King story so it'll be interesting to see where this ends up. He's been all over the board with aliens, straight-up supernatural spirits, unexplainable monsters, old ones, gods, and just crazy-rear end people. Just hope it isn't stupid - so far I think whoever is translating this might be able to take a stupid and make it into something appropriate.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

You haven't watched many MI movies then. Tom gets his rear end beat and sometimes only wins by sheer luck.

Not by other action movie leads, that i remember anyway, several of those movies were terrible.

Also he's still a in a crazy money cult.