Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

killing people in the name of god is morally fraught

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Yeah Cursed Arm Hassan in FGO is your butler by day and kills kidnappers by night. Been pretty impressed by how they flesh out some of the servants, especially the Apoc ones like Avicebron and even cardboard-kun.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Turns out when your pals aren't competing to be the last one standing in a fight without any real rules, they can be pretty expressive.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Remember that Jack in Apoc is a terrifying heart eating monster with Reika as her Master while Jack in FGO is a terrifying monster who gets to have fun as an actual child with the MC as her Master.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
she had plenty of fun in apoc and you feed her hearts in fgo, seems like the same deal to me

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Yeah but we feed her demon hearts so it's different, and she gets 3 other girls to play with. Wish I could give her pants though.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was under the impression that CAH's weird summoning circumstances in HF meant that he was kind of weird in the head (at least at first, with him stabilizing after a while).

I can't be bothered to do a wiki dive to see if I can find where I read this, though.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
yeah that is how it goes down, he basically crawls his way back up into being something resembling human by fighting, and eating from the servants he kills. once he regains his intelligence he has some convos with Zouken.

when you look at his wish for the grail it actually owns how Camelot resolves his character a decade later.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Btw is it ever explained why Cursed Arm is an rear end in a top hat in F/SN but a cool guy in FGO?

Generally speaking the assassin class is full people who will kill anyone because whatever, regardless of whatever personal beliefs when they're "off-duty".

About the only exception to this is Gray, I guess because she's supposed to be an anti-undead Assassin?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I do wonder if Cursed Arm actually knew the deal with Sakura beyond the broad strokes in HF.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I recall the creators of the grail war make it so that only Hassan(s) can be summon for assassin due to their absolutely loyalty, which is probably for the best considering how many psychopath qualify for the class. Anti-heroes was not supposed to be summonable too.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 25, 2020

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's because the class itself favors Hassans, on account of the word Assassin being derived from Hassan.

Other works show you can force the issue with the right catalyst, and in FGO all bets are off because anyone Guda meets gets a shiny record for the summon system to use.
(Although if you think about it the gacha represents how even with all things aligned it's gonna take a fair bit to get the guy you want)

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

Cursed arm was relatively compassionate in hf despite being in a battle royale. Shirou even had a dead end where Assassin kills him quickly instead of capturing him knowing what will happen to him if he is taken alive.

Zouken being a "loyal" partner is interesting to see to considering he's the one that made the command seals and the plan was to force everyone to commit suicide.

CAH not being in H/A is a shame.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be fair I get why Kotomine wasn't in it, Shinji only had a couple of scenes, and Zouken was reduced to a single mention. Even ignoring plot reasons, they're all characters with a decent amount of baggage that might distract from the goofy slice-of-life atmosphere. Hassan is probably in the same boat just by association.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Man, Babylonia is not shy about its influences. This is basically just an unofficial Fate/Muv-Luv crossover at this point, isn't it?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The Beta are at least kinda mechanical about how they do things, the grins and sadism remind me of the mass produced Evas more

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

The Beta are at least kinda mechanical about how they do things, the grins and sadism remind me of the mass produced Evas more

The big, freaky, humanlike grins on distinctly non-human bodies are the most iconic part of the BETA's look, though?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
There's also lots of Shin Godzilla mixed in later.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

The big, freaky, humanlike grins on distinctly non-human bodies are the most iconic part of the BETA's look, though?

those are also the most iconic part of the mass produced EVA's look

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

those are also the most iconic part of the mass produced EVA's look

The MP Evas aren't bizarre crab-monsters, though. They're humanoids with weird faces.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

If your options are "it's a reference to NGE" or "it's a reference to something else" it's usually NGE.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rody One Half posted:

If your options are "it's a reference to NGE" or "it's a reference to something else" it's usually NGE.

Muv-Luv is pretty influential, though, even if it does borrow a few bits and pieces from, yes, NGE. Hajime Isayama, for instance, openly acknowledged that Attack on Titan was basically just steampunk Muv-Luv.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean I'm sure FGO is probably riffing on Muv-Luv a bit too it's just a line of inspiration that starts from well before muv-luv. Muv-Luv was inspired by mass-produced EVAs, FGO is made by nerds so they were aware of both those things when they designed the Lahmu.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

If you think they're creepy to start with, try with subtitles!

(Late Babylonia Anime spoilers, obviously)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwjh7cqa0NQ

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Saying that Muv Luv borrowed "bits and pieces" from Eva is a bit of a fuckin understatement

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

its a good thing fate is wholly original *stuffing all utena works into the closet*

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Saying that Muv Luv borrowed "bits and pieces" from Eva is a bit of a fuckin understatement
Always seemed more Starship Troopers to me

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Always seemed more Starship Troopers to me

There’s an Eva in it. And the gunbuster march. They are big fans.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Darth Walrus posted:

The MP Evas aren't bizarre crab-monsters, though. They're humanoids with weird faces.

Bizarre crab monsters made from recycled humans.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Wish Fate ripped off A Once and Future King, I want to see Saber turn into an goose for the exciting crossover sequel to Untitled Goose Game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Goethe: If you see a great master, you will always find that he used what was good in his predecessors, and that it was this which made him great.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

incidentally, fate literally stole mephistopheles from goethe

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

nrook posted:

Wish Fate ripped off A Once and Future King, I want to see Saber turn into an goose for the exciting crossover sequel to Untitled Goose Game

Nothing in canon says Merlin did not turn Saber Lily into a squirrel.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Saber and Fou share a VA.

Just saying.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Merlin still ages backwards in Fate. Sure, we get to see hot Merlin popping across time with the Gudas, but back when he was with Saber he looked full on Higgidus Pigitus.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

No Merlin is eternally a snack

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Dr Pepper posted:

Nothing in canon says Merlin did not turn Saber Lily into a squirrel.

Indeed

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Archimedes the owl is the best part of that.

Why won’t they put him into FGO. He hasn’t suffered enough Liz and we’ve got so many of them for him to enjoy.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

If we get Archimedes before Morgan or Buddha someone's gonna catch hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014