Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
That sucks :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does that Walking Dead game everyone is raving about have any jump scares? I'm vaguely interested in trying it but I'm too much of a pussy to play anything with jump scares in it.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I havent run into any scares that looked intentionally placed for that purpose yet; however, I have had the poo poo scared out of me a few times.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Jack Trades posted:

Does that Walking Dead game everyone is raving about have any jump scares? I'm vaguely interested in trying it but I'm too much of a pussy to play anything with jump scares in it.

From what I've seen it isn't a "jump" scare kinda game, but there are absolutely sudden frights when navigating houses by flashlight and turning around cramped hallways. And I've seen more than one person scan their surroundings before doing some inventory management, and then being attacked by a zombie from behind. This will spin your camera 180° to face the attacker which is by design (so you know why your dying) but it can be pretty jarring to be looking in your backpack and then it's nothing but a face full of zombie.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Yeah, I wouldn't classify it as jump scares at all, you can generally hear them before you see them if you're being careful.

I got the whole 'smash knife in head, go further, pull away with both hands' technique down and it feels real gud

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
God drat when that bell goes off and you start running down to your boat to scram and seeing 20 walkers turn towards you. Getting to the boat and pulling up the map and going "GOD DAMMIT WHY WONT IT SELECT" when you poke the HQ area. I don't understand the pushback at VR, this is crazy immersive.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Leal posted:

God drat when that bell goes off and you start running down to your boat to scram and seeing 20 walkers turn towards you. Getting to the boat and pulling up the map and going "GOD DAMMIT WHY WONT IT SELECT" when you poke the HQ area. I don't understand the pushback at VR, this is crazy immersive.

It's only recently that games have been doing physics based hand interactions and long-form narratives in VR are still pretty rare.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I was thinking along those lines, too. People had been clamoring for 'full fledged' VR games since the start. It's only now it's in the last months when they are starting to appear.
Like, compare Arizona Sunshine to Walking Dead. And ironically AZ was praised when it was released because the games before were even more limited and short.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Leal posted:

I don't understand the pushback at VR, this is crazy immersive.

Most of the people pushing back on VR are people who have never really gotten to try it. (The rest are people who get serious motion sickness or have accessibility issues, which is understandable)

They bought a Wii on the promise of motion controls and got burned hard and now it seems like an obvious "fool me twice, shame on me" situation, so they've learned. They know better. Motion controls and such are gimmicks, couch gaming is best gaming.

But that's the thing, the Wii DID suck. But that doesn't mean all motion controls forever will suck. Its just that much harder to sell them.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Most of the people pushing back on VR are people who have never really gotten to try it. (The rest are people who get serious motion sickness or have accessibility issues, which is understandable)

They bought a Wii on the promise of motion controls and got burned hard and now it seems like an obvious "fool me twice, shame on me" situation, so they've learned. They know better. Motion controls and such are gimmicks, couch gaming is best gaming.

But that's the thing, the Wii DID suck. But that doesn't mean all motion controls forever will suck. Its just that much harder to sell them.

I agree with the caveat that there still was great stuff on the Wii. Most stuff on the Wii sucked, but that's because most people did a bad job at using the motion controls. Using them in ways that were appropriate and enhanced the game was pretty great - stuff like Pikmin and Metroid Prime. As far as I'm concerned, it's the reason why I believed that VR had so much potential, because we were able to get glimpses of what could be incredible back then. But it's true that there was massive waggle garbage which drove that public perception.

I do agree we've been at a similar stage in VR, where people have been doing a lot of gimmicky stuff that is rooted pretty much in "whoah hey it's cool that you can see your hands!!" that was the basis of the throwaway Wii stuff. I think the difference is that the ceiling is absolutely higher with VR.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
A lot of people say they've tried VR and it wasn't for them, but most of them only tried the phone-versions which where all the rage a couple of years ago and that left a bad taste for them.

I was pretty sceptical myself but after I tried PSVR at a friends place a couple of years ago I was blown away and got it myself a short while ago, now that I have the Vive it's even better and I couldn't be happier.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Oh, re: jump scares in TWD; theres a music cue when a zombie spots you. That probably helps.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I think I might like S&S more than Boneworks...

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Are the v2 lighthouses that come with the Index kit markedly better than the v1 Vive stations? I'm familiar with the compatibility issues or lack thereof, but is there a legitimate reason to upgrade if I grab an Index?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That's the cool thing about the Quest, is that with minimal friction it can completely erase the bad taste left by phoneVR and instantly convert someone to the possibilities.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

How long is the wiring harness on the index? Thinking about it, but trying to figure out where/how. I have plenty of space, but my computer setup is a little nonconventional.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

That's the cool thing about the Quest, is that with minimal friction it can completely erase the bad taste left by phoneVR and instantly convert someone to the possibilities.

I sold two last weekend after I brought it to my gf's friend's house and showed it off. For one of them it was Beat Saber, for the other Space Pirate Trainer. It's just so easy to say "here you go try this awesome thing" and for people to immediately get blown away

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Re: goon multiplayer sessions, I really wish there were proper multiplayer/community features in Oculus Home. In SteamVR can you make a persistent communal room that's only available to certain people (passworded or whatever)? I would love it if either platform had a way for you to create a persistent community space, available only to people in your organisation + invited guests, which members could set as their default environment on entering VR and from which you could jump off into multiplayer games together.

SteamVR is part of the way there I think with communal rooms but I don't think they can be persistent? And I think it's only done via password and there's no way to default into a community space when you load VR. The latter element is important as a Rec Room-like way of having a space where people can chill and watch stuff/mess around whilst waiting to see if other players come online who might be interested in teaming up for multiplayer stuff.

Speaking of which, Rec Room should definitely have done the same within their own game. A persistent Goon custom Rec Room map could be a lot of fun now that they have their own in-game environment toolset - and Rec Room is exactly the sort of game where you need vaguely competent players to go do the Quests with, because if you try doing them with randoms you almost invariably die horribly.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Warbird posted:

Are the v2 lighthouses that come with the Index kit markedly better than the v1 Vive stations? I'm familiar with the compatibility issues or lack thereof, but is there a legitimate reason to upgrade if I grab an Index?

Improved performance, increased range, scalability beyond two (see previous two)
It’s more for high end stuff where very high speeds (beat saber) or very high precision (onward/contractors) are important for optimal gameplay.
If you haven’t noticed the tracking deficiencies with 2x LH1 they may not be important aspects for you. If you have this is how you fix it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Just tried Until You Fall because its on sale. It reminds me a lot of Thrill of the Fight (which I like). Unfortunately, the weapons felt floaty. The abstracted guard and combo system are very "gamey" and I found it frustrating that even if I got my sword up in the general area, unless it was in the exact right place it didn't count. From a verisimilitude perspective, some of the block angles the game asks you to use are terrible. Pretty sure if I tried to block even a rapier with some of those angles the other fencer would be able to smash through my block without any trouble.

Took about half an hour before I started sweating. Thrill of the Fight leaves me wrung out and sore the next day in half that time.

I can see why people like it, but I think Thrill of the Fight is better at simulating fighting and better exercise.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

LLSix posted:

I can see why people like it, but I think Thrill of the Fight is better at simulating fighting.

Real fighting sucks rear end though.

Especially boxing.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

El Grillo posted:

In SteamVR can you make a persistent communal room that's only available to certain people (passworded or whatever)?

Nope. The only feature available is being able to create an invite-only session, and even then it's just a locally hosted listen server that is terminated when you start another application.

Valve has done barely anything with SteamVR Home after releasing it, and noone has worked on it for the last year hand half. I wouldn't hold my breath for any more social features.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
I've got 300+ hours in VR and love smooth locomotion games. Boneworks is the one of the few games that can still make me feel like poo poo if I'm not careful.

Then again, any game that has constant FPS dips below 90fps gets me sick in a god drat hurry. If a game can sit at 120 consistently (like Walking Dead) I can play for *hours*. I tried playing Walking Dead at higher graphics settings at 80fps and only got 30 minutes in before I felt like I needed to lay down for an hour.

So yeah, FPS is very important to VR comfort. Something we've known for a while but devs and hardware makers seem to forget sometimes. The Oculus Quest running at 72hz keeps me from recommending it to people who have a history with motion sickness, which is pretty much 80% of everyone I know. Boneworks' rapid bouncing framerate coupled with the amount of rope it gives players to make themselves sick makes that "VR Pros only" warning really necessary. I hope whatever game they do next manages to find the right balance between interactivity and stability.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Valve's work on VR comfort in HLA. I feel like there's just a treasure trove of design learning to be extracted there for everyone in the industry.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lemming posted:

I agree with the caveat that there still was great stuff on the Wii. Most stuff on the Wii sucked, but that's because most people did a bad job at using the motion controls. Using them in ways that were appropriate and enhanced the game was pretty great - stuff like Pikmin and Metroid Prime. As far as I'm concerned, it's the reason why I believed that VR had so much potential, because we were able to get glimpses of what could be incredible back then. But it's true that there was massive waggle garbage which drove that public perception.

I do agree we've been at a similar stage in VR, where people have been doing a lot of gimmicky stuff that is rooted pretty much in "whoah hey it's cool that you can see your hands!!" that was the basis of the throwaway Wii stuff. I think the difference is that the ceiling is absolutely higher with VR.

Pikmin and Metroid Prime mostly used light-gun tech that was old and worked well though, with motion controls only used for the occasional waggle. Wii light-gun games worked fantastic. But the motion controls themselves weren't accurate so couldn't be used for gameplay beyond shake-weight style motions.

Even if VR stuff is throwaway "you can see your hand" demos, its not the same. Someone sees a trailer of playing as a Jedi on the Kinect and they get REAL excited. Then they see this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIiN0Tdzgsc

And the whole thing is poo poo.

But at least from my friends and people I've shown VR to, just having them be able to cook things in Job Simulator is extremely compelling by comparison to Kinect Star Wars being this inaccurate, wavey mess. Yes, Job Simulator is a very simple demo game compared to something like Boneworks, but they don't care. The fact that everything "just works" and they don't have to learn controls but can just pick up eggs and start cracking them on a pan blows people's minds.

That's what the wii wanted to be, to get away from a complex controller with 30 buttons that only nerd gamers are used to, and instead use more natural motions that people who aren't traditionally gamers already understand. And VR loving nails that. But the Wii tried it and failed and so the very people who would love that thing are wary of it.

But just like how Wii Bowling sold a ton of Wiis, Beat Saber sells a ton of Quests.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

How long is the wiring harness on the index? Thinking about it, but trying to figure out where/how. I have plenty of space, but my computer setup is a little nonconventional.

The 3-piece cable that goes to your computer is about 1 meter, the main cable that connects from that to the HMD is 5 meters. There's a breakaway connector between them.

Or what are you asking if not that?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Anyone here use Oculus Medium? I have a little bit of a background with LightWave and a "natural" sculpting method seems like it might be a way to unleash my creative side and get some more use out of my 3d printers making little dolls for tabletop games.

Does it let you place reference photos in the environment to follow? Would it be suitable to making ~32mm war dolls to print on a resin printer?

E: Also, how is it at importing meshes, say if I want to use a default T-pose to work from?

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 27, 2020

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Pikmin and Metroid Prime mostly used light-gun tech that was old and worked well though, with motion controls only used for the occasional waggle. Wii light-gun games worked fantastic. But the motion controls themselves weren't accurate so couldn't be used for gameplay beyond shake-weight style motions.

Even if VR stuff is throwaway "you can see your hand" demos, its not the same. Someone sees a trailer of playing as a Jedi on the Kinect and they get REAL excited. Then they see this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIiN0Tdzgsc

And the whole thing is poo poo.

But at least from my friends and people I've shown VR to, just having them be able to cook things in Job Simulator is extremely compelling by comparison to Kinect Star Wars being this inaccurate, wavey mess. Yes, Job Simulator is a very simple demo game compared to something like Boneworks, but they don't care. The fact that everything "just works" and they don't have to learn controls but can just pick up eggs and start cracking them on a pan blows people's minds.

That's what the wii wanted to be, to get away from a complex controller with 30 buttons that only nerd gamers are used to, and instead use more natural motions that people who aren't traditionally gamers already understand. And VR loving nails that. But the Wii tried it and failed and so the very people who would love that thing are wary of it.

But just like how Wii Bowling sold a ton of Wiis, Beat Saber sells a ton of Quests.

I mean... it was still motion controls, though? Because it depended on where and how you physically moved the controller. Combine that with things that were "waggle" in Metroid Prime, like using the Wiimote to open doors where you had to push, turn, and pull the controller, as well as the grapple beam where you'd throw the nunchuck forward to shoot a beam at something, and then wrench it back to pull/break something on the enemy, were cases the motions were grounded in what the character was doing, and not like randomly wave the Wiimote to make something happen. There's also the Gyro aiming, that while it started with the Wiiu, used your physical movements to aim in stuff like Splatoon, which was accurate enough that it was better than the traditional twin stick.

I absolutely agree that most stuff was garbage, but the distinction I'm trying to make is that the capabilities of the specific hardware are not the most important thing. You could make legitimately good and fun uses of the motion controls with Wii level garbage hardware, but you had to actually do a good job of incorporating it into your design in an interesting way. Similarly, VR hardware is a billion times better, but that *still* applies, and just because you can shove VR into something, doesn't mean it's automatically going to be good. I agree there's a ton of benefit to the novelty, but just like how Wii Sports wasn't enough to satisfy everyone forever, stuff like Job Sim is only really interesting for that short initial period where everything's still fresh and new.

I agree that Beat Saber is the kind of thing that does a much better job of taking advantage of the hardware, and I think that's a big part of the reason why it's so successful, it's something that does play to the strengths of VR and takes advantage of the hardware to do something interesting, rather than just being "wow isn't it neat that you can move your hands?!" which is what people got bored of fast with Wii tier hardware.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Zaphod42 posted:

The 3-piece cable that goes to your computer is about 1 meter, the main cable that connects from that to the HMD is 5 meters. There's a breakaway connector between them.

Or what are you asking if not that?

Just that, like “how far from my computer can I be”

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

LLSix posted:

I found it frustrating that even if I got my sword up in the general area, unless it was in the exact right place it didn't count. From a verisimilitude perspective, some of the block angles the game asks you to use are terrible. Pretty sure if I tried to block even a rapier with some of those angles the other fencer would be able to smash through my block without any trouble.

This is by far my largest complaint with the game: the rigidity and angles of blocks doesn't feel quite right.

The rest owns though.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

Anyone here use Oculus Medium? I have a little bit of a background with LightWave and a "natural" sculpting method seems like it might be a way to unleash my creative side and get some more use out of my 3d printers making little dolls for tabletop games.

Does it let you place reference photos in the environment to follow? Would it be suitable to making ~32mm war dolls to print on a resin printer?

E: Also, how is it at importing meshes, say if I want to use a default T-pose to work from?

I wanna say yeah you can do both of those things, but I haven't used it much personally besides dicking around with it a few times a few years ago. I think there are some big boys using it in their actual production pipeline for some VR games, so it's pretty powerful

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Owlbear Camus posted:

Not used it in a while so I booted it up to check:

You can place reference photos and import FBX/OBJs which will be converted to sculpts. You can likewise export FBX/OBJs, and it claims to be able to do so in ways that are suitable for 3D printing but cynically I suspect they'll probably need some cleanup in a real modeling app to work well.

It's very much a clay sculpting tool rather than a posing tool, though, so starting from a T-pose might not be very helpful; the only way to change the relative position of parts of the sculpt is to cut them apart completely and reposition one of them.

Note that it needs quite a lot of memory; that's probably only a serious problem if you're using an old 3GB video card like me, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lemming posted:

I absolutely agree that most stuff was garbage, but the distinction I'm trying to make is that the capabilities of the specific hardware are not the most important thing. You could make legitimately good and fun uses of the motion controls with Wii level garbage hardware, but you had to actually do a good job of incorporating it into your design in an interesting way. Similarly, VR hardware is a billion times better, but that *still* applies, and just because you can shove VR into something, doesn't mean it's automatically going to be good. I agree there's a ton of benefit to the novelty, but just like how Wii Sports wasn't enough to satisfy everyone forever, stuff like Job Sim is only really interesting for that short initial period where everything's still fresh and new.

I disagree. I think VR motion controls are inherently massively compelling in a way that wii and kinect motion controls wanted to be but never really were. But agree to disagree on that one.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Was looting a house in Walking Dead, dark as hell. Utterly pitch black if I had no light on, so I'm already paranoid. Now I make sure to close doors when I go into houses, so I'm heading down the stairs and the stairwell leads to the front door. I get about halfway down the stairs... then the front door opens and 2 zombies rush me :tviv:

I think I'm done for the night. Now I know zombies can open doors.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
How close is TWD compared to, like, Return of the Rottenweiners?

Doorselfin
Dec 18, 2004

You broke my sitar, motherfucker.
About to grab an Oculus Quest--but are there certain titles on the Quest Store that I would be much better off purchasing in SteamVR or the regular Oculus store for Link play for whatever reason?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Doorselfin posted:

About to grab an Oculus Quest--but are there certain titles on the Quest Store that I would be much better off purchasing in SteamVR or the regular Oculus store for Link play for whatever reason?

Some people prefer the SteamVR environment to the Oculus environment, so that'd be a reason to get one or the other. But you just as may likely enjoy the Oculus Home environment :shrug:

Thing is, I believe lots of Oculus games are cross-buy so you'll want to get them on Quest Store and then you'll also get them on Oculus Store for tether Link play.

So mostly I'd say just the games that are SteamVR exclusive.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
The Technician just got an update, nothing major, but apparently it's the start of the developer ramping up development again. I really like it, my favourite VR puzzle game, feels a lot like a single player Keep talking and noone explodes.

Also joining the crowd of people enjoying Saints and Sinners, though I might be retarded because I can't work out how found crafted items work, got the recipe for the .44 and .44 ammo from the safe on the first level, can't work out how to craft it though. I assume i'm missing something very obvious.

Shoefish fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 28, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Doorselfin posted:

Sales are deeper and more frequent in Steam than in the Quest store. Hell,even without sales sometimes things are just more expensive in Quest. 😭

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Shoefish posted:

The Technician just got an update, nothing major, but apparently it's the start of the developer ramping up development again. I really like it, my favourite VR puzzle game, feels a lot like a single player Keep talking and noone explodes.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, it looks extremely my poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

LLSix posted:

Just tried Until You Fall because its on sale. It reminds me a lot of Thrill of the Fight (which I like). Unfortunately, the weapons felt floaty. The abstracted guard and combo system are very "gamey" and I found it frustrating that even if I got my sword up in the general area, unless it was in the exact right place it didn't count. From a verisimilitude perspective, some of the block angles the game asks you to use are terrible. Pretty sure if I tried to block even a rapier with some of those angles the other fencer would be able to smash through my block without any trouble.

Took about half an hour before I started sweating. Thrill of the Fight leaves me wrung out and sore the next day in half that time.

I can see why people like it, but I think Thrill of the Fight is better at simulating fighting and better exercise.

The more realistic combat games like Blade and Sorcery didn't really click for me precisely because of their focus on realism. The weapons feel really awful to me because they simulate weapon weight by making ingame motion not 1:1 with reality. I think the intent was that for heavier weapons you would physically swing them slower to kind of mimic how its weight would be in real life but it'll just never feel good to me. And whenever your weapon gets caught on a shield or wall or something and your ingame hand is no longer synced with your real hand it's a huge immersion breaker. These are issues that I don't see being possible to ever solve.

Gorn goes in the other direction and makes your weapons have no weight so motion is always 1:1, but then you get the problem of combat devolving into waggling furiously because you're swinging a weapon faster than humanly possible. This wasn't so great for me either.

Until You Fall is the only melee combat game that's clicked for me so far. It's an arcadey/gamey take and I love what it's trying to do. It's a very classic gameplay style that's based off of pattern recognition in enemies. Their attacks have set patterns and you always block them the same way, you just have to recognize which attack they're using and remember what sequence to block in. I never really had a problem with the block angles in the game, but maybe it does help knowing that the animations are canned and memorizing which way to block. Once you get past that, you can then start to squeeze in extra attacks in between blocking an enemy's combos.