Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr Crustacean posted:

Not correct.

The deeper you go, the faster you can spin that prop without cavitating.

It's a play on words not a statement of fact.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_Silent,_Run_Deep_(film)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

That Works posted:

It's a play on words not a statement of fact.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_Silent,_Run_Deep_(film)

Sure, but it's also a pretty OK description of WW2-era anti-ASW tactics for subs. Run as silent as you can to avoid detection by hydrophones and run as deep as you can to try and get under the thermal layer to gently caress with enemy sonar.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
At least it’s not Comic Sans or Papyrus.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Q_res posted:

Because the reactor was cooled with molten lead, it couldn't be shut down and thus never refueled.

:psyduck: were the crews recruited solely from suicidal people?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Cooling a reactor with molten lead isn't a stupid idea, and has some significant safety advantages over ordinary pressurized water reactors.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

JcDent posted:

:psyduck: were the crews recruited solely from suicidal people?

Liquid metal coolant has a lot to recommend it from a safety perspective, especially on a submarine. Chiefly, that it's a liquid at high temperatures and ambient pressure so you don't have to pressurize your reactor to a level where the coolant will explode if there's a leak. If there is a leak, the coolant rapidly solidifies. In the case of lead, the coolant itself has a secondary function as gamma shielding. You can use electromagnetic pumps, which have no moving parts or shaft seals to leak, to move the coolant around. And you can't really overpressurize your reactor by letting it get too hot, because the boiling point of the coolant is so high. The US tried hard to make it work as well, but we were trying a liquid sodium alloy and Rickover was (for understandable reasons) vehemently opposed to having a coolant that ignites on contact with air and explodes on contact with water being used to cool the reactor on a submarine. The lead-bismuth alloy in the Alfa reactors doesn't have that problem. We put a sodium-cooled reactor on the Seawolf, but she had so many steam leaks in her superheaters that they were just bypassed, so the extra efficiency and power density of the reactor plant was more than made up for by the lack of superheaters, and the whole idea was scrapped at Rickover's insistence and Seawolf's reactor was cut out and replaced with a regular PWR.

And by design, the idea was that you *could* shut the reactors down, because when you were docked you'd hook the system up to a heater on shore and it would keep the system warm. Trouble was that the funding/training wasn't there for the maintenance of those systems, so the coolant heaters broke down, and the workaround was "just keep the reactor running."

And as for "the reactor could never be refueled," refueling a naval reactor is such an expensive proposition that modern naval plants are designed to last for the life of the ship from the outset. When the reactor's out of fuel, your ship's out of service life.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The reactor could be shut down, but required specialized shore power in the form of high pressure steam to keep the core liquid. This became an issue as the inevitable maintenance issues of “non-critical” shoreside equipment piled up, and Alfa boats sometimes were forced to spend their downtime tied up with a full reactor crew at an appreciable power setting, just to keep the core liquid. This lead to cascades of deferred maintenance on the boats themselves.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 27, 2020

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Phanatic posted:

And as for "the reactor could never be refueled," refueling a naval reactor is such an expensive proposition that modern naval plants are designed to last for the life of the ship from the outset. When the reactor's out of fuel, your ship's out of service life.

In the US, yes. In other navies, not necessarily. The K15 used by the French navy for its submarines and its aircraft carrier are designed to need refueling every 8-to-9 years, these are scheduled to correspond to planned major overhauls.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

In the US, yes. In other navies, not necessarily. The K15 used by the French navy for its submarines and its aircraft carrier are designed to need refueling every 8-to-9 years, these are scheduled to correspond to planned major overhauls.

Yeah, good point. They also use much lower-enriched uranium, so presumably they feel that the refueling expense is compensated for by not needing to enrich the fuel to 90%+.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

If you've got a bismuth-lead reactor, wouldn't it make more sense to simply design your sub for easy removal and substitution, instead of refueling? Get the core out, get another in, 15 more years.

Yeah, of course it is far more complicated than that, bit still. The Alphas were designed with no easy way to either re-fuel or remove the reactor.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
What's cool and Cold War-y in Huntsville?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

SimonCat posted:

Alabama? US Space and Rocket center is pretty neat IIRC.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

SimonCat posted:

A Saturn V hanging from the ceiling sure counts.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Im sure it probably deserves a full day, but I've got a couple of hours during business hours to kill.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Why are you doxxing mlmp08 like this

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
My favorite graphic from an air defense manual shows a Cobra helicopter unmasking from behind trees to engage a Tiger I tank.

Also this image. The manual is from 2016.

edit: ATP 3-01.18 "Techniques for Combined Arms for Air Defense " (how non-air defense can defend itself form air threats) has a bunch of funny graphics because it's obvious the doctrine writers were told to rapidly publish/update it because of drone or other aerial threats, so it's got a bunch of repurposed old images and copy-paste advice where someone just did a find and replace of M60 to M240, etc. It has unlimited distribution and is approved for public release, so you can find it online easily.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 27, 2020

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Dante80 posted:

If you've got a bismuth-lead reactor, wouldn't it make more sense to simply design your sub for easy removal and substitution, instead of refueling? Get the core out, get another in, 15 more years.

Yeah, of course it is far more complicated than that, bit still. The Alphas were designed with no easy way to either re-fuel or remove the reactor.

“Designed to go thousands of feet underwater” and “has a big removable plug in the hull” are extremely at odds with each other as design goals. Pretty sure titanium is one of those real hard to weld metals so making hull cuts and repairs probably doesn’t work well. A big enough difficulty on regular hulls made of steel that new US designs are supposed to never be refueled.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Rob Rockley posted:

“Designed to go thousands of feet underwater” and “has a big removable plug in the hull” are extremely at odds with each other as design goals. Pretty sure titanium is one of those real hard to weld metals so making hull cuts and repairs probably doesn’t work well. A big enough difficulty on regular hulls made of steel that new US designs are supposed to never be refueled.

Yeah I can get that. The thought originally came from our experience here in Greece with the 209 boats. We essentially cut one in half (S118 Oceanos), added a 6m AIP section in the middle and then re-assembled the sub.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

SimonCat posted:

Im sure it probably deserves a full day, but I've got a couple of hours during business hours to kill.

Keep in mind I moved from there 13 years ago, but the museum is a pretty quick trip. There's an A-12 right out front, btw. Can you get on base? There is a helicopter museum there.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Does increased depth and it's associated greater pressure have any effect on water friction and subsequent performance.

Like if you're running your engines at the exact same power and rpm at 150' and 1500' is there going to be a difference in speed?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Liquid metal coolant has a lot to recommend it from a safety perspective, especially on a submarine. Chiefly, that it's a liquid at high temperatures and ambient pressure so you don't have to pressurize your reactor to a level where the coolant will explode if there's a leak. If there is a leak, the coolant rapidly solidifies. In the case of lead, the coolant itself has a secondary function as gamma shielding. You can use electromagnetic pumps, which have no moving parts or shaft seals to leak, to move the coolant around. And you can't really overpressurize your reactor by letting it get too hot, because the boiling point of the coolant is so high. The US tried hard to make it work as well, but we were trying a liquid sodium alloy and Rickover was (for understandable reasons) vehemently opposed to having a coolant that ignites on contact with air and explodes on contact with water being used to cool the reactor on a submarine. The lead-bismuth alloy in the Alfa reactors doesn't have that problem. We put a sodium-cooled reactor on the Seawolf, but she had so many steam leaks in her superheaters that they were just bypassed, so the extra efficiency and power density of the reactor plant was more than made up for by the lack of superheaters, and the whole idea was scrapped at Rickover's insistence and Seawolf's reactor was cut out and replaced with a regular PWR.

And by design, the idea was that you *could* shut the reactors down, because when you were docked you'd hook the system up to a heater on shore and it would keep the system warm. Trouble was that the funding/training wasn't there for the maintenance of those systems, so the coolant heaters broke down, and the workaround was "just keep the reactor running."

Very cool post, thanks!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

aphid_licker posted:

Very cool post, thanks!
:dadjoke:

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

I mean, if you can successfully weld a Hip fuselage to a Kamaz, why can't you simply swap a bismuth lead reactor?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

It took me way too long to figure out what I was looking at.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

That's a picture from south Portland, right?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ok, I'm going to post a political horse race tweet but PLEASE IGNORE THAT PART.

https://twitter.com/TheAtlantic/status/1221827357276807169

When was the last time "a ruthless modern army armed with cluster bombs and napalm" beat partisans?

I'm really having trouble coming up with an example in the 20th century. Spanish civil war?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Basically every time.

the trick was the partisans usually were smart enough not to do this

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

When was the last time "a ruthless modern army armed with cluster bombs and napalm" beat partisans?

I'm really having trouble coming up with an example in the 20th century. Spanish civil war?

https://twitter.com/JugheadJinsoul/...genumber%3D1532

https://twitter.com/dinosaurthe3rd/...genumber%3D1532

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

2nd Chechen War? Other various Soviet uprisings like the Hungarian and Romanian ones were quashed too. If the partisans were supplied by wealthier states though, it's hard to come up with examples.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

Basically every time.

the trick was the partisans usually were smart enough not to do this

Actually yeah, that "on open ground" is actually important there. Thats how Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc all went.

Suicide Watch posted:

2nd Chechen War?

Thats probably the best answer.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Love lovingly detailed imagery of the military massacring people coming from some ageing fuckin chickenhawk

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
“Open field” being the operative words. That’s loving suicide for partisans vs regular troops/air force etc.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Is this photo of anyone in particular? I don't recognize them.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Shooting Blanks posted:

THOT

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

Ho Chi Minh.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Huh. Guess I'd never actually seen a photo of him then.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

E: Also that's a -real- bad ps of Ho smiling fyi
https://www.amazon.ca/Selected-Works-Ho-Chi-Minh/dp/1466482672

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 27, 2020

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

That's some Black Hole Sun poo poo going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

Examples of insurgents/partisans getting crushed pretty hard in recent history through a variety of modern army, weaponry, or other state technical/numerical superiority:

ISIS (not gone, but severely rolled back)
Muslim Brotherhood in Syria getting smashed by Hafez al-Assad (father of Bashar al-Assad president) in 1982 using artillery and air-power followed by a ground clearing operation (and massacre).
Hukbalahap Rebellion
Dhofar Rebellion
Xinjiang conflict
Mau Mau Uprising

We remember the successful insurgencies because they are notable and costly.