Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Stuff from the pantry might be cool if you freeze all the cans and bisect them, then paint the cross-section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I've been doing daily 60m or less landscape studies. They're really hard and I suck at it, but that's how I know it's good practice.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you

This one's my favorite, I really like the softness of the grassy areas, in contrast of the hard rocky areas.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Nice landscape practices. I like the bright blue sky and big rock.

If people want to sub in fruit that aren't shiny orbs, consider the physalis or lychee

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Or the banana, cucumber, pear, strawberry, raspberry, peppers in all shapes and sizes, etc
Honest, the list was super low effort and now I feel bad for letting the internet randomizer decide. However, if I would have hand picked it would feel worse.
Also, it is just a list of words, you can draw whatever you want!

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Plus not a single one of us could even be arsed to use a randomizer. Low effort and we couldn't even climb up to that, so we got nothing to complain about.

This is Cradeon. He's not welcome anywhere.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Battle Grapes!

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Scoss posted:

I've been doing daily 60m or less landscape studies. They're really hard and I suck at it, but that's how I know it's good practice.

Definitely keep at it, I'm interested to see how you progress. 60 minute challenges are great because from what I've been studying, developing speed really hones your skills.

I for one am grateful for the randomizer list. Without it I might not have even decided to get back into art consistently. I'm a very goal-oriented person and even simple orbs are great practice for me at my level. Next month I might end up making a list for myself even if we do a single prompt. Otherwise I'm sure my output would be relegated to "here are the 20 terrible Loomis heads I've been drawing every day."

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Behold; the ugg-child, bringer of tears, ruin of proportions, death of dreams:

gently caress it, fourth attempt, it's done. :suicide:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Tomato!

The sketch was harder than the coloring, this is common.

The Halogens posted:

I for one am grateful for the randomizer list. Without it I might not have even decided to get back into art consistently. I'm a very goal-oriented person and even simple orbs are great practice for me at my level. Next month I might end up making a list for myself even if we do a single prompt. Otherwise I'm sure my output would be relegated to "here are the 20 terrible Loomis heads I've been drawing every day."
For next month I will do European countries, I will post a list over the weekend including what my plan is with it. I think having multiple lists would be awesome, as sometimes I have time for multiple drawings but I am eternal without inspiration.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 24, 2020

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Tomateon turned Beefeon.

lofi posted:

Behold; the ugg-child, bringer of tears, ruin of proportions, death of dreams:

gently caress it, fourth attempt, it's done. :suicide:

This turned out great! ...I mean, besides the fact that the kid's got FAS.

Sharpest Crayon fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 25, 2020

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Johnny-on-the-Spot posted:

This one's my favorite, I really like the softness of the grassy areas, in contrast of the hard rocky areas.

I really like this one too, especially since the big rock on the left kind of looks to me like the Zardoz head or maybe Darth Vader when it's in thumbnail . :v:

I really like the colors on this.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Tomateon turned Beefeon.

It doubles as Pumpkeon! :3:

To-mah-to

I bought some (very very cheap, crappy) gouache paints but don't really know what to do with them. I will have to conjure up some video tutorials. Are they basically like watercolor, but more opaque?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Tomateon turned Beefeon.

Incredibly Powerful.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Robots and spaceship sketch

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Ermmm....

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Got most of my equipment sorted in a way I am happy with so finally felt like painting. It's weird, unless the equipment feels "just so" it puts me off doing painting because I fiddle with the brushes, or paint, or palette instead of doing any painting. Only thing I have to do now is get a bigger water pot since I'm using a bigger than expected brush most of the time and cleaning it with smaller cups is a hassle. I've got some other stuff coming which I think will suit for on the go painting which will be good, and I'm more confident in what size paper I want to use. Any way here it is.

Daniel Smith watercolours on arches 9x12in 300gm cold pressed paper and some Windsor & Newton white gouache.

Sorry about the orientation, I don't know why it did that. Anyway this is one I've had on my mind for a long time but never really thought I'd be able to do. I see plenty of flaws but I'm happy with it for a few reasons. There's several layered washes going on there which I've never done before. I like the colour transition and there's reasonable depth. I made plenty of errors during the painting but I was able to fix a lot of them rather than having to scrap it which I'm pleased about. I spent more time doing the painting because I wasn't distracted by equipment irritations which is great. Things I'll probably do differently for the next time I try it; I'll probably orient it portrait instead of landscape and use masking liquid first rather than use gouache afterwards for sharper waves. I've also got a better idea of how to structure the white so it looks like it's receding and being viewed at a lower angle like I want.

Ultimately I think I hit the sweet spot Bob Ross talked about. I like it, but there's enough flaws for me to want to continue to get better.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I don't know how "okay" it is to mention here but speaking of Bob Ross there's an MSPaint thread in GBS I'd like to see more content in if anybody's interested. I'm a bit bummed because I have like zero time to do any myself right now. Just, you know, don't paint so well lol.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Maractus. She looks like she is jumping out of her pot and I am pleased about that.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I spent some days this week getting into drawing weapons and such for my game.

I'm currently working on some more animations for the sword attacks, and am having a real hard time doing so. You can find me floundering about on stream, if you're interested.

https://stream.shinmera.com

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Sharpest Crayon posted:

This turned out great! ...I mean, besides the fact that the kid's got FAS.

I think that may actually be true, tbh.

Decided to get my goth on as a palette cleanser

:skeltal:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

lofi posted:

:stare:

quote:

oh wow, really nice!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

lofi posted:

Decided to get my goth on as a palette cleanser

:skeltal:

That's a beautiful analogous color scheme

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Shinmera posted:

I spent some days this week getting into drawing weapons and such for my game.

I like that your weapons are all nice and clean, functional looking things.

Here's my drawnuary catchup

Water colour pencils with some paint for the foam.

Water colour. Photgraphs nicer than it looks.

Inktense pans.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Maracteon

sigma 6 posted:

Ermmm....

Ugly dog best dog!

Carth Dookie posted:

Only thing I have to do now is get a bigger water pot since I'm using a bigger than expected brush most of the time and cleaning it with smaller cups is a hassle.

This is nice and shiny! I like that you're actually listing the positives that you see in it, so many of us are prone to being our own worst critics.
I recommend getting a breakfast or soup bowl with a nice rim around the bowl for your watercolour reservoir. You can mix your colours on the rim if it's curved in and bowls hold a lot of water so you don't need to be changing it all the time. Plus, porcelain bowls don't tip over too easy if you're accident-prone like I am. I'm currently using this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alessi-1110304-Tavola-Porcelain-Dessert/dp/B00GCIBSYQ/ although it's not quite as big as I'd like, you'll notice the lip has a subtle curve, perfect for holding in colour, and my mom never let me forget that when I moved out I stole one of her difficult-to-replace antique bowls that was the best goddamn thing for watercolours so I had to get a replacement and return the best bowl I ever had.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Neat. I might go in that direction, but I'm happy mixing colour on my palette and I'm somewhat interested in this 3 segmented bucket I've seen Shibasaki use on YouTube. I'll experiment.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I just two of these and wash them once in a while:

If on the road, I use the mixing area of the tin holding the pans.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Pokéfruit.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Who lives in a pineapple?

My weekend project is done I think, leaving out the background as I am scared to gently caress it up and it is snow anyway.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Completed another animation.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Right now I feel equal parts discouraged and hopeful. I totalled up the hours and so far have logged a little over 20 hours on Procreate in the last week. A lot of it has been practice sheets not worth posting, but it's really fun seeing myself become slowly more proficient in anatomy. On the flipside, my Drawnuary submissions are kind of sucking. I redrew Maractus nine times (getting all the way into coloring and shading on four of them) before allowing myself to just give up. The theme for these last few days has definitely been "Halogens needs to learn time management."

Shinmera, that's a really fun loop to watch.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
I fell behind by alot. But I'm trying to get back into the swing of things and experiment more, with mixed results.

Mango

Grapefruit

Necterine

E: One more

Apircot

Johnny-on-the-Spot fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 26, 2020

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Angrymog posted:

I like that your weapons are all nice and clean, functional looking things.

I hadn't really drawn weapons in any capacity before this, and was quite surprised by how much fun it turned out being.

Drawing swords and guns: recommended!

The Halogens posted:

Shinmera, that's a really fun loop to watch.

Thanks! More coming soon, I hope.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Pinapleon!

For the longest time, I thought that raw pineapple was the only thing I was mildly allergic to since it made my lips and gums tingle. Imagine my surprise when I learned that it's just the fruit trying to destroy my flesh as I'm eating it! I got a newfound respect for pineapples after that.
The last time I tried to draw a pineapple-animal I ended up redrawing it thrice before accepting that I was never gonna get it the way I wanted it. Having said that..

The Halogens posted:

I redrew Maractus nine times (getting all the way into coloring and shading on four of them) before allowing myself to just give up.

Holy poo poo, there's just no need to flagellate yourself until there's no blood left. There's no art god worth penance like this. Sometimes things don't work out, it's ok to walk away.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Shinmera posted:

Completed another animation.

I'm going way outside my comfort zone here criticizing someone with a lot more skill than I possess, but here goes - I looked at this for a long time because I felt there was something off, and I think it's that her head, torso and waist all move perfectly together. If the second swing is supposed to be her attacking something behind her maybe her head moving to look that way makes sense, but I still feel like she looks a bit too rigid for this kind of action.

Anyway, here are my garbage drawings.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

A gift art and a commission I made for friends.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Medenmath posted:

I'm going way outside my comfort zone here criticizing someone with a lot more skill than I possess, but here goes - I looked at this for a long time because I felt there was something off, and I think it's that her head, torso and waist all move perfectly together. If the second swing is supposed to be her attacking something behind her maybe her head moving to look that way makes sense, but I still feel like she looks a bit too rigid for this kind of action.

Thanks for the critique! All the swings are ultimately forward attacks. I see what you mean about the movement, and I'll keep that in mind for when I do revisions.

For now, I completed the heavy ground attack.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

This little guy is a little flat...

There, better!

I know I said it already a few times this month, but man do I love the Daniel Smith watercolors. The brown is Piemontite Genuine and the really weird black brown granulation is just awesome.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I'm tempted to try Holbein for comparison, but I'm warming up to the Daniel Smith stuff I've already got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011