Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Arist posted:

I mean....

that's clearly the joke

Well... it's not a good joke.

And I'm finding that I feel like a lot of the jokes in this show probably played really well at the time when it first aired but really don't age well at all.

I don't want to make it seem like I hate the show, because I really really enjoy it. But there were just these handful of things that stood out as really awkward when watching it for the first time in the present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't watch The Office, 30 Rock, or P&R until a few years ago and of them, The Office was unwatcheable, P&R was alright to good, and 30 Rock was great.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't watch The Office, 30 Rock, or P&R until a few years ago and of them, The Office was unwatcheable, P&R was alright to good, and 30 Rock was great.

Yeah, I never watched any of them when they were out. The Good Place was actually my first Mike Schur show (I started right after season 2 aired). I remember trying Parks and Rec when its first season was airing but never got back to it. P&R has some really really great moments and it definitely has way more highs than lows but I feel like what I feel like are the low points in the show when watching it today are different than how people would have felt when it first aired.

I can't even imagine trying to watch The Office. It seems like such a place and time show.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Mordiceius posted:

Well... it's not a good joke.

And I'm finding that I feel like a lot of the jokes in this show probably played really well at the time when it first aired but really don't age well at all.

I don't want to make it seem like I hate the show, because I really really enjoy it. But there were just these handful of things that stood out as really awkward when watching it for the first time in the present.

The joke wouldn't work if Jerry wasn't also set up as the happiest, healthiest person in the world with a beautiful loving wife, caring family, and the largest penis anyone has ever seen.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I like The Outsider a lot, Holly rules so hard, but I also spent the last five minutes of the most recent episode laughing loving uproariously at the Google search sequence. There are only so many ways you can shoot a computer screen in an ominous way, and I suspect that number is maybe zero. And it. Just. Kept. Going.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah Jerry having his poo poo way more together than anyone else there and has an amazing home life really changes the joke for the better. But iirc they didn't do that until a few seasons of being dicks to Jerry had happened.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

IRQ posted:

Yeah Jerry having his poo poo way more together than anyone else there and has an amazing home life really changes the joke for the better. But iirc they didn't do that until a few seasons of being dicks to Jerry had happened.

Yeah, that came way, way after the fact, I don't think it kicked in until the phone bank episode when Leslie was running for city council.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was on Hulu and man, ABC sure crapped out a Kobe tribute thing pretty quick, huh?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Jerry joke always felt like an artifact of that first season that they were just too stubborn to get rid of for some reason. It just never made sense that Leslie in particular would be so cruel to this harmless guy. The show was always trying to make it ok with making his life awesome or having him give a pep talk or selling that the office needs one punching bag or just having the characters realize they're being assholes. But like, it just kept going and it never really made sense.

Except Tom. It always made sense that Tom was an rear end in a top hat to Jerry. Because Tom is a terrible person.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Confession time. I discovered Bob Hearts Abishola and love it. Yes I KNOW it's a Chuck Lorre show stfu.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

The Jerry joke always felt like an artifact of that first season that they were just too stubborn to get rid of for some reason. It just never made sense that Leslie in particular would be so cruel to this harmless guy. The show was always trying to make it ok with making his life awesome or having him give a pep talk or selling that the office needs one punching bag or just having the characters realize they're being assholes. But like, it just kept going and it never really made sense.

Except Tom. It always made sense that Tom was an rear end in a top hat to Jerry. Because Tom is a terrible person.

The thing that really stood out to me was in season 6 when Jerry has a talking head segment and directly addresses that he knows everyone is making fun of him constantly and he's the butt of everyone's joke. It was an odd moment of self-awareness for the show and I wish that it had happened in like season 4. It made the Jerry character far more tragic imo because up until that point it's played as if he's unaware how mean everyone is to him.

But then it's also never touched on again?

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

The entire make up of the town of Pawnee is that every one of its citizens are childish, puerile, and asinine in one way or another.

Except Sewage Joe. That guy is a class act.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The climax of parks and rec was them convincing googamazacebook to build their campus in the inner city possibly pricing out a ton of people out of their homes

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

I was on Hulu and man, ABC sure crapped out a Kobe tribute thing pretty quick, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKmzUypbNNU

Can't believe this is the only clip I found of this.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Calaveron posted:

The climax of parks and rec was them convincing googamazacebook to build their campus in the inner city possibly pricing out a ton of people out of their homes

While I think giant corporations moving into areas and pricing out middle and lower class people and families is horrendous, it was pointed out many times that Councilman Dexhart's district is mostly abandoned factories and shipping containers that is overrun by raccoons. So like most issues in Parks and Rec there's a sensible solution to the problem and any real world consequences are downplayed or ignored.

This is kind of a reoccurring thing in Michael Schur shows that take place in a real world workplace. No one would work at Dunder Mifflin for more than six months. The police are not your friends. Real government doesn't involve finding the perfect solution to every problem. But they're lightweight workplace sitcoms with lovable characters who try to do the right thing and we enjoy them because the real world kinda sucks and they make us laugh.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Mike Schur ain't writing stuff to speak to the greater truth of the world. He's writing charming idealist escapism to make you smile at the end of a lovely day.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Yeah Schur shows are all about adorable people working together then falling in love and making babies
And Tom Haverford, history's worst monster

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Schur loves weddings and happy endings.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I basically know he's gonna drag out the Good Place ending until there's a quirky wedding.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I just think it's funny imagining what Parks and Rec would look like if it started in 2018 and not 2009. There's such a political optimism (and Clinton-style liberal jerking off) that just doesn't play well post-2016.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Any scene where Leslie professes her love for Biden is pretty rough to watch now.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Any scene where Leslie professes her love for Biden is pretty rough to watch now.

It's a really fascinating time capsule of people and their beliefs during the Obama administration. And pretty fascinating to see how delusional people became.

You can look at stuff like Parks and Rec and see "Oh yeah, poo poo like this is why Trump won."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think it bothers me because I always interpreted it as weird and creepy. Like Leslie also idolized Janet Reno and Condeleezza Rice so her national politics never really made sense or fit. She was an idealist who assumed everyone was Mr Smith and wanted to make her part of the world better.

The show probably wouldn't exist today since Schur would probably recognize it was too touchy a setting to do his thing with, but if it did there'd just be less real politician mentions and more chud extras to be the butt of jokes and hurdles for Leslie.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I really wanted to like Avenue 5 because of the creator and cast, but drat that show just isn't working for me. Besides Billie all the characters are too dumb in a way that isn't funny. The performances seem out of synch too especially Josh Gad and Suzy Nakamura.

The concept works, but every little thing seems wrong so far.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 28, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't know, them screwing up the funeral and launching dead bodies into orbit around the ship got a lot of laughs out of me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Can you imagine if Brooklyn 99 was examining the reality of the NYPD while also retaining the exact same characters and tone?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I basically know he's gonna drag out the Good Place ending until there's a quirky wedding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-yzfjvu-n4

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

One of my absolute, hands down, favorite scenes of the show but far too much played for laughs, not near enough super sweetness. Hasn't fulfilled the Schur quota.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

I like The Outsider a lot, Holly rules so hard, but I also spent the last five minutes of the most recent episode laughing loving uproariously at the Google search sequence. There are only so many ways you can shoot a computer screen in an ominous way, and I suspect that number is maybe zero. And it. Just. Kept. Going.

Also good job on Gorgle Images nailing a search of nothing but Extremely Portentous and Scary Plot Relevant Folk Monsters

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I haven’t been able to pay attention to the last two episodes of The Outsider at all. I don’t know what’s up with me. Events just bounce right off me

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I'm sure they have a bunch of those for most mid to high profile celebrities, just spend a couple hours updating it with only the most recent of events, and it's ready to go.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm sure they have a bunch of those for most mid to high profile celebrities, just spend a couple hours updating it with only the most recent of events, and it's ready to go.

President Gerald Ford was eaten by wolves today

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crm4EpEsuiA

Lol this commercial kicks rear end

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
those kids are boomers

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crm4EpEsuiA

Lol this commercial kicks rear end

Fun fact, Sid and Marty Krofft were able to successfully sue McDonalds for ripping off HR Pufnstuf with McDonaldland. Not just because of the similarities but because the guy in charge of advertising for McDonaldland had been in talks with the Kroffts to use their stuff for a potential McDonaldland but then lied and said the deal fell through after he poached some talent and designs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fun fact, Sid and Marty Krofft were able to successfully sue McDonalds for ripping off HR Pufnstuf with McDonaldland. Not just because of the similarities but because the guy in charge of advertising for McDonaldland had been in talks with the Kroffts to use their stuff for a potential McDonaldland but then lied and said the deal fell through after he poached some talent and designs.

Oh they didn't just play an 8mm film of that commercial in the court room?

Weren't they making an HR Puffnstuf movie that was basically a ripoff of Five Nights at Freddies

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That was the Banana Splits.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Are we to infer that humanoid hamburger people develop from talking plant-based hamburger blooms

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who's the pirate guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

zoux posted:

Who's the pirate guy

I’m assuming he’s the Hamburglar’s brother but he exclusively burgles Filet-o-Fishes