Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also forgot this was back on until now. From the first coffee shop scene on it was pretty great, I liked the last season well enough but this is clearly going better so far. It does feel a bit forced putting Larry into one random awkward position after another but I guess it's always been the case to some degree.

Basebf555 posted:

The Mocha Joe thing is even more of a Seinfeld storyline than you typically see in Curb, I can't wait to see where that goes. Larry running a coffee shop sounds completely absurd.
That Joe guy is like some kind of coffee authoritarian almost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Oh my god that painting.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Kind of a bleh episode but Larry exaggeratedly obtaining consent is funny.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

It was funny but went on way too long. I think the first episode set the bar too high for the season.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I thought that was still pretty great. That Susie painting was amazing.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I lost it when I saw the painting.

Spite store.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah it was a good episode. Not as good as last weeks but these things happen. I will say Larry being dumb as gently caress with the secretary was a little eye rolling but at this point it's pretty much the show so you can't complain too much

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
Imo these two eps are better than all of season 9 combined.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
That painting is giving me Ghostbusters 2 vibes.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Jeff's faces this week were amazing. Everything he did in the background of shots was hilarious.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Richard Lewis makes a face when he first sees the painting that just killed me

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I thought it was good! first ep had more consistent laughs for me but I thought this had some good stuff throughout.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Long "I am asking for your consent!" "I am giving you consent!" bit = unfunny, dated, tired, tonedeaf, and continuing to draw on the "women be caring about sexual assault" well which so far has been the source of very bad comic material in all of the two episodes of this season

Larry, with no foreshadowing, purchases a Viggo the Carpathian painting of Susie which she adores and naturally horrifies all other parties = hilarious, the good stuff

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ProManimalUnity/status/1219147882126667776?s=19

https://twitter.com/AgatCharim/status/1221833502892707840?s=09

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Jeff laughing at the destroyed painting killed me

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Another iconic Larry David painting.

https://twitter.com/VultureCL/status/1221650124113424389?s=19

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Only watched the first episode so far. It was pretty funny. Definitely some big laughs. I gotta say though it reminds me a bit of late season Seinfeld in that it's gotten a lot wackier and less grounded in reality compared to earlier Curb seasons. I feel like the comedy hit a little harder in the earlier seasons where it was less....silly?

Still way better than 99% of TV though.

Also really miss Bob Epstein :(

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

tin can made man posted:

Long "I am asking for your consent!" "I am giving you consent!" bit = unfunny, dated, tired, tonedeaf, and continuing to draw on the "women be caring about sexual assault" well which so far has been the source of very bad comic material in all of the two episodes of this season

Larry David, the show's 72 year old creator writer and star, wrote a script which in finest Woody Allen tradition, allowed him to grope and kiss a much younger actress...

...for comedy!

Yeah I could have done without all that. Not funny and not original at all.

What was funny: the pact about cutting all contact if any of them have cancer. Leon was enthusiastically in too, even though he lives at Larry's house.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don’t really read the #MeToo plot as “women be crazy about assault!” It’s very much about how someone with as little sense of boundaries or norms as Larry would bumble into a situation like this and how he’s handling it so far is very in character.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I definitely took it more as a Larry is a clueless moron. It was still not particularly original and the painting/cancer stuff was way funnier. Although the side-sitting bit was good if a bit close to home.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

explosivo posted:

I keep thinking about Leon talking about his uncle and his wobbly leg today and laughing.

"I got an uncle with a wobbly leg. I can't stand that motherfucker. Leaning on poo poo all the time.."

Loved that line. Leon is pretty much always a gem.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Leon is the best. I just started a rewatch at season 6 when he’s added to the cast & there’s a great bit where he and Larry accidentally swapped cell phones. Tim Meadows calls & thinks he’s talking to Larry doing a “black guy” voice, but it’s Leon just explaining to Meadows (who he thinks is someone else with the same name) that he can “have his wife back” because he’s “done with her” and I’ve been giggling about it all morning.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

beanieson posted:

Leon is the best. I just started a rewatch at season 6 when he’s added to the cast & there’s a great bit where he and Larry accidentally swapped cell phones. Tim Meadows calls & thinks he’s talking to Larry doing a “black guy” voice, but it’s Leon just explaining to Meadows (who he thinks is someone else with the same name) that he can “have his wife back” because he’s “done with her” and I’ve been giggling about it all morning.

Yeah...that is an amazing scene. Absurd in the best way possible. Pretty much every scene with Larry and Leon is great. They have a wonderful chemistry going where despite their differences....they have a bizarre understanding of one another.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I enjoyed Leon's gold "Lampin" necklace as well.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

lest we forget

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Yeah, the consent stuff was bad. It's not really a punchline. The episode didn't wrap up well either; I expected him to replace it with a prisoner's painting of Susie.

The woman from Meet the Parents has aged well. She looks the same as she did back then.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
That's the movie I was trying to place her from. Been bugging me all day.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I think the show is the same as it's ever been, and is still funny, but also my tolerance for Rich rear end in a top hat Accidentally Does A Sexual Assault, No Really This One Was A Genuine Misunderstanding might be waning

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I think the show is the same as it's ever been, and is still funny, but also my tolerance for Rich rear end in a top hat Accidentally Does A Sexual Assault, No Really This One Was A Genuine Misunderstanding might be waning

I've only seen the first episode and I thought most of it was really funny, I laughed out loud several times, but yeah I agree with this. Just don't really want a plotline to do with this and I was hoping it'd be over quickly but they didn't resolve it in ep 1 so I figure it will recur. The Jeff looking like Weinstein gag was funny as a throwaway, cos that's just really unfortunate and true, but the thing with the people who get pissed off at Larry is the design of the show is that everyone is extremely over sensitive and ridiculous, and Larry while being a dickhead, usually hasn't done anything to warrant the reaction (at least at the start of the incident). The two women who think Larry is harassing them in this episode are basically portrayed as idiots unable to read cues and desperate to interpret his behaviour as sexually forward, which isn't really any good, and there just isn't really any comedy to at least justify the attempt.

Curb works best when it sticks to the gleeful misanthropy. Which most of the episode was, and everything else was making me laugh.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't know that I agree that they were portrayed as idiots. Larry WAS being weird and creepy.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't know that I agree that they were portrayed as idiots. Larry WAS being weird and creepy.

Yeah, Larry grabbed his secretary's shirt and used it to clean his glasses.
Then Larry who is portrayed as being rich enough to open a "spite store", needed a pig-in-a-blanket so much that he grabbed the server's tit?!

The women aren't the idiot in these situations.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

If you need more Curb, check out the movie "Clear History" from 2013.
Should be on Prime.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

mcbexx posted:

Should be on Prime.

It’s an HBO movie so if you can watch Curb you can presumably watch it on HBO Go.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

mcbexx posted:

Should be on Prime.

Funny movie but it always felt like a reworked Curb season idea.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

People who think Curb is about Larry being right and the world being wrong are uh, insanely bad at watching tv, to say the least.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

People who think Curb is about Larry being right and the world being wrong are uh, insanely bad at watching tv, to say the least.

This, but I hope they have something positive they're trying to say beyond "wow this #metoo stuff is crazy huh." I don't have a ton of confidence that's going to be the case, though.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

grahm posted:

This, but I hope they have something positive they're trying to say beyond "wow this #metoo stuff is crazy huh." I don't have a ton of confidence that's going to be the case, though.

Oh yeah, its definitely not a very good well to pull from, but I also thought it was mostly handled decently in the first episode. The fabric situation for instance was funny and a good callback to The Sniffling Accountant. The groping incident felt much more forced to me (and also a little derivative of Homer Badman in the exact way the misbehavior came about), and was much less funny. But overall I really did enjoy that first episode, very funny. Definitely had a different directing style than earlier seasons though, I noticed more intricate camera work in the first half of the episode than in prior seasons (except nine a bit) and I think there's less reliance on improved dialog.

I still haven't seen the second episode quite yet, but "I consent" jokes usually fall in the same category to me as "I identify as an attack helicopter" jokes. That fruit hangs so low its rotting. But also I literally haven't seen the episode yet, so it could be one bad joke off a stack of good ones.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

It’s all in the eye of the beholder.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
S10E03 is up on HBO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
tbh scones are loving dry rear end muffins