Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

skaianDestiny posted:

Any opinions on Tamen De Gushi/Their Story?
It's really good up until the very jarring and obvious point where it was no longer allowed to have gay characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Sindai posted:

It's really good up until the very jarring and obvious point where it was no longer allowed to have gay characters.

Where specifically?

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
not long after the two leads finally kiss it suddenly abandons having any real plot and becomes only the disconnected slice of life vignettes that were previously less of a focus. it's still gay though but not as directly. i've heard this was because they ran into trouble trying to publish physical copies specifically due to the kiss scene and china's media censorship rules.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
personally im very invested in their random basketball game that goes on for 50 chapters

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
it will have more basketball than tsubame tip off

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm reading Still Sick and this is a trainwreck waiting to happen.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Queer manga is still basically the only form of media where i've seen asexuality explored (even if from minor characters for works focused on other things) so that's neat. Not that I go looking for it but it's cool to be reminded I exist

Ever seen Bojack Horseman?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

I'm reading Still Sick and this is a trainwreck waiting to happen.

this would all be avoided if she just texted her fuckin gf

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

lih posted:

not long after the two leads finally kiss it suddenly abandons having any real plot and becomes only the disconnected slice of life vignettes that were previously less of a focus. it's still gay though but not as directly. i've heard this was because they ran into trouble trying to publish physical copies specifically due to the kiss scene and china's media censorship rules.

Is it after the Ferris wheel kiss or before that?

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Bi man over here anyone know any manga about male bisexuality?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

Bi man over here anyone know any manga about male bisexuality?

Love Me For What I Am, kind of.

https://mangadex.org/title/29840/fukakai-na-boku-no-subete-o

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Hi I am bi and like anime.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I've watched a lot of "here's 20-30 twinks and a plot about music success" stuff over the past five years, and I swear to god I wouldn't watch another, but I will probably watch Division Rap Battle because I am interested in watching handsome bros compete in a very different genre than idol pop.

As a bonus, they're not all high school aged.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the one who is a 38 y/o doctor owns

he's probably like 26 but i'm headcanoning this

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Bi guy (masc but okay with any pronouns). I'm also a massive nerd, so I bought an essay collection on Boy Love manga and gender representation.

As a Euro who watched Gundam Wing in 2000, can confirm.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
What I love about Gundam is how they realized the real target market is girls who wanna see angsty pretty boys fighting in giant robots.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Yeah, I remember hearing the original show was saved because of the overwhelming amount of letters they got, mostly from women. No idea if that's true, but it's a neat story.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yoshiyuki tomino's attributed gundam's enduring success and popularity to women so there's not a ton of reason to doubt any of it

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That one 00 ED where they all cut each other's hair on a beach should be proof enough.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
There was like three times in Wing where I thought they were gonna kiss for sure.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

In the gundam thread someone shared a girls magazine ranking chart of favourite/hottest anime characters from 1978 to the early 2000s

Lot of Gundam boys on here, and Wing dominates in the year it came out.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
That chart really drives home how far we have strayed from the righteous path in this past decade.

If you ask me, who was very online and talking about anime in the late 90s, the huge driver of American anime fans accepting non-conformity was Utena. It wasn't one of those things everyone watched, I never did, but the people who watched it pretty much could not shut up. There's a lot of other things I could name from 199-2005 that had basically little value except pushing the boundaries of ambigulously gay crushes, but is it really worth talking about every series where guys look at each other a little too long?

Christ, I've got old GIFs from circa-2005 ADTRW called 'sogay' and 'reallygay' from when we were dissing Cluster Edge.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Lol at all the boys from Gundam seed being up there and also beating Roy Mustang. But tbh I do think it's valid that soft boy Mc from Gundam seed is up there and as a wee child I always liked him and his rival boyfriend.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Baka-nin posted:

In the gundam thread someone shared a girls magazine ranking chart of favourite/hottest anime characters from 1978 to the early 2000s

Lot of Gundam boys on here, and Wing dominates in the year it came out.

lmao at osomatsu-san

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

That chart really drives home how far we have strayed from the righteous path in this past decade.

If you ask me, who was very online and talking about anime in the late 90s, the huge driver of American anime fans accepting non-conformity was Utena. It wasn't one of those things everyone watched, I never did, but the people who watched it pretty much could not shut up. There's a lot of other things I could name from 199-2005 that had basically little value except pushing the boundaries of ambigulously gay crushes, but is it really worth talking about every series where guys look at each other a little too long?

Christ, I've got old GIFs from circa-2005 ADTRW called 'sogay' and 'reallygay' from when we were dissing Cluster Edge.
What

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
gay is good

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Okay, let me restate it more plainly:
Utena was more LGBT-friendly and became fairly mainstream without being on cable TV. Whereas the number of properties involved in slash ship-teasing, ala Gundam, are simply too numerous to mention.

Also, more than half the Hottest Men list being occupied by those twins from that Showa manga reboot is proof that the 2010s were a mistake.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 28, 2020

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's true, only kara/ichi/jyushi should be in the list while the other matsus eat dirt

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Utena was more LGBT-friendly and became fairly mainstream without being on cable TV. Whereas the number of properties involved in slash ship-teasing, ala Gundam, are simply too numerous to mention.
utena sucks, lets talk about real progressive queer anime, like kannazuki no miko or the episode of diebuster ikuhara directed

also gotta say mocking stuff as 'slash ship teasing' and 'haha gay' sure isnt making me take your opinions on which anime are lgbt-friendly seriously

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
also back when utena was currentish in anime fandom i got driven off multiple forums for saying utena and anthy were gay so i dont think it actually made anime fandom more lgbt friendly

also lgbt-friendly anime existed well before utena

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
hi im gay, animes are cool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RottenK posted:

hi im gay, animes are cool

i agree

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
boy it sure sucks that hoshiai no sora got screwed over, i liked how it addressed a character being trans or possibly nonbinary and i was looking forward to seeing how their story will develop :(

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
the director said hell try and tell the rest of the story in some way so hopefully that comes to fruition. even just a novel or manga would be cool

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i've heard about that and im glad and wish him well

but i worry that it will not get a translation

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

the real problem with that chart is none of the g-reco guys are in it

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

2014 OL fanartist twitter strongly disagrees

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RottenK posted:

i've heard about that and im glad and wish him well

but i worry that it will not get a translation

if its a manga it probably will at least a fan translation, if its a novel uhhhh. hopefully!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

Also, more than half the Hottest Men list being occupied by those twins from that Showa manga reboot is proof that the 2010s were a mistake.

dota 2's elo system also did a lot for gay rights