Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Propaganda Hour posted:

There's only so much VRAM a man can buy! I tried to max out Resident Evil 2 and found out that even 1080p will suck up 14 GB of VRAM if you let it. Absolutely bonkers. A 2080 TI has "only" 11 GB.

You couldn’t max out Crysis until around 2017. Some games have poo poo that’s there so future computers can brute force some graphics settings out of them.

Mind you, with Crysis some of that was processor development shifting from “MORE CLOCK SPEED FOREVER!” like it was when they were making Crysis, to increasing cores/threads. But still, it’s kind of nuts how future-proofed that game was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Scalding Coffee posted:

Time to upgrade.

Not a lot of appealing buys from a GTX1080

haldolium posted:

Turning up SSAA kills most GPUs in all engines supporting it though. It basically just multiplies your resolution and often has a predictable fps outcome.

Ah so that's how that works.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Artelier posted:

How's Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus? Still itching for a fast paced shooter with good gun feel, looking to charge in and shoot crazy things off. Loved The New Order but got tired of Old Blood pretty quickly, felt a bit too squishy there. But could just be because I played them back to back.

If you don’t want to feel squishy in TNC then just don’t put it on the harder difficulties and you’ll have a good time. There are some parts that can be quite aggravating if you want to play aggressively on the harder ones.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Do you expect much from a slate of Weeklong Deals coming on the heels of the fourth big sale of the season? You shouldn't, but there's a few cool things to pick up like The Painscreek Killings and Daily Chthonicle, and I've got a list of 'em.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Don't play the new Wolfensteins on anything higher than Easy if you want to have a good time.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Samuringa posted:

Don't play the new Wolfensteins on anything higher than Easy if you want to have a good time.

I had fun playing on one of the higher difficulties. :shrug:

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Givin posted:

Hack and slash Hexen type game. ELDERBORN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFnkKiXC1EQ

I've been on a classic FPS kick and I was interested until I saw the skeletons bleed and I don't know why that bothers me so much.

I'm completely loving bored of the :rock:METAL:rock: aesthetic, but this looks like they're taking the right things from Dark Messiah, so I'm on board.

Seriously, :rock:METAL:rock: in video games has gotten boring as poo poo because it hasn't evolved since the mid-90's. It's been the same gore, pointy bits, and boring wallpaper riffs since Doom.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mordja posted:

Huh, looks like Torchlight Frontiers is now Torchlight III and no longer a F2P MMO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo-KscmCsbk
I hope it's, uh, good. The first two games were a bit... bland.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I actually really enjoyed both Torchlight games. I can't say I'm upset that this has become just a straight up sequel now but uh this makes me assume that development has been tumultuous at best up until now.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

OutOfPrint posted:

I'm completely loving bored of the :rock:METAL:rock: aesthetic, but this looks like they're taking the right things from Dark Messiah, so I'm on board.

Seriously, :rock:METAL:rock: in video games has gotten boring as poo poo because it hasn't evolved since the mid-90's. It's been the same gore, pointy bits, and boring wallpaper riffs since Doom.

This seems silly to me, because e.g. DUSK and AMID EVIL are both metal as gently caress yet totally different from each other

e: okay if they actually say "Metal AF" then that gets old quick, yeah

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 27, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Nah, AE's more prog.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mordja posted:

Nah, AE's more prog.

As much as I don’t like listening to most prog (Rush, sure, Yes, if it’s one of their good albums) a trippy as hell prog-inspired shooter would own so insanely hard. Halls of mirrors and shootouts on two syncopated Newton’s cradles type stuff.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Ugly In The Morning posted:

As much as I don’t like listening to most prog (Rush, sure, Yes, if it’s one of their good albums) a trippy as hell prog-inspired shooter would own so insanely hard. Halls of mirrors and shootouts on two syncopated Newton’s cradles type stuff.

It's a tech demo, but check out Yedoma Globula. Trippiest game I've ever seen. https://bananaft.itch.io/yedomaglobula

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mordja posted:

Huh, looks like Torchlight Frontiers is now Torchlight III and no longer a F2P MMO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo-KscmCsbk

Hm. I tried out that copy of Torchlight I got on GOG for free a while ago and it was ok, but I didn't love it. I've realised that I'm not a Diablo fan, I'm just a fan of Diablo 1, so I've been trying to find something that's more D1 than D2 and Torchlight fell more on the D2 side. How's Grim Dawn, in that way?

Givin posted:

Hack and slash Hexen type game. ELDERBORN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFnkKiXC1EQ

I've been on a classic FPS kick and I was interested until I saw the skeletons bleed and I don't know why that bothers me so much.

I just wish we'd gotten Hellraid. I might give this a try at some point though.

And as for Wolfenstein: TNC, it's a really good game that's basically worse than TNO in almost every way. Especially since the entire first half you're way more fragile than you'd expect. You only have 50 health, and the 200 armour burns through really quickly.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

OzFactor posted:

My first run through the game was very similar to you, where I pretty much only got Kinetic Blast in the Typhon trees, but it is very strong. If you're still scanning the coral, the endgame timer hasn't started yet but you are close, yes. Did you get the neuromod upgrade for recycling? I felt like I was barely scraping by until then and after that I never had any resource issues--it's a subtle upgrade but it really counts. Also the Q-Gun is hard to use and is gigantic and if you've been collecting ammo for it all game, why not try to recycle that ammo and make something useful out of it?

turns out the answer was just backtrack and finish out all the side stuff, and by the time i went back to the main last few things i could easily clear sections again or just sprint through them with the trackstar max mod that makes you jump and run dumb fast. i must have engaged about 95% of the side quest stuff in terms of getting new branching side quests because I had a good 10 hours more then most people took to finish it, ending around the 40+ hour mark.

i even went back and did all the one or the other things via saves ( escape pod peace out bad ending, zap the station with/without killing alex, blow up the station and escape on the pod/shuttle annnd blow up with the station)

i really dug it, and agree that it kinda sucks in term of the ending, but outside of those 5 minutes the rest of it was fantastic

more games need to nail the balance of not saying HERES THE NEXT WEAPON YOU SHOULD USE but also being guided enough that you aren't totally lost due to bad design level or ui wise either...tricky stuff...

e: i think if i can put 40 hours into this one easily, i'm going to sink hundred of hours into CP2077..0451 games are supremely my poo poo

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 27, 2020

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
If you are ready to continue to be amazed at how great Prey is, play Mooncrash and stare in awe as you realize that Prey's gameplay systems are so well-designed that they could place them in a randomized gameworld and they'd work just as well if not better. And then watch how they go and build an incredibly strong narrative that manages to use that randomized gameworld just to show off.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You couldn’t max out Crysis until around 2017. Some games have poo poo that’s there so future computers can brute force some graphics settings out of them.

Mind you, with Crysis some of that was processor development shifting from “MORE CLOCK SPEED FOREVER!” like it was when they were making Crysis, to increasing cores/threads. But still, it’s kind of nuts how future-proofed that game was.

I think people give Crysis too much credit for “future proofing.” You can supersample an old game at 8k+ and bring a modern computer to its knees but that doesn’t mean a whole lot of talent went into creating the option, nor that it looks significantly better. People aren’t really getting much more out of Crysis today than it offered at release.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 27, 2020

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I liked picking up the animals in Crysis.

And throwing them.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Is Halo Reach still hosed?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

catlord posted:

Hm. I tried out that copy of Torchlight I got on GOG for free a while ago and it was ok, but I didn't love it. I've realised that I'm not a Diablo fan, I'm just a fan of Diablo 1, so I've been trying to find something that's more D1 than D2 and Torchlight fell more on the D2 side. How's Grim Dawn, in that way?

grim dawn is more d2, but book of demons sounds like what you're looking for

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

catlord posted:

More Titan Quest than either of the Diablo games. If that's what you want, you wouldn't like it a lot.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Book of Demons is weird and often kind of frustrating, but it is a lot like Diablo 1 in atmosphere. Just really not nearly as good.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Jamfrost posted:

And throwing them.

https://youtu.be/Qc6AHtM8qKM

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

catlord posted:

And as for Wolfenstein: TNC, it's a really good game that's basically worse than TNO in almost every way. Especially since the entire first half you're way more fragile than you'd expect. You only have 50 health, and the 200 armour burns through really quickly.
which is really weird because that suit was shown to be basically invulnerable to small-arms fire in the last game but as soon as you're wearing it in gameplay....

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Huh, is there a good video on it? To be honest, I'm not a fan of card mechanics/aesthetics, it seems to be the new thing to add but it does absolutely nothing for me, and the trailers don't do a great job of selling me on it beyond that. The art style is interesting, though.

Jamfrost posted:

And throwing them.

The chicken gun should have been your default weapon, always.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

catlord posted:

Huh, is there a good video on it? To be honest, I'm not a fan of card mechanics/aesthetics, it seems to be the new thing to add but it does absolutely nothing for me, and the trailers don't do a great job of selling me on it beyond that. The art style is interesting, though.
It's a real-time ARPG, the card aesthetic is really just for looks. It's actually your combined inventory and skill loadout, cards are just how it's represented visually. It doesn't run on any card-game rules and there's not really any collectible aspect to it, just crafting resources and drops as in any ARPG.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Cardiovorax posted:

It's a real-time ARPG, the card aesthetic is really just for looks. It's actually your combined inventory and skill loadout, cards are just how it's represented visually. It doesn't run on any card-game rules and there's not really any collectible aspect to it, just crafting resources and drops as in any ARPG.

Seconding this. I can't stand deckbuilding games, but I loved Book of Demons. The aesthetic is great, and it has some fun mouse mechanics.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, but it's not an aesthetic I like in the slightest. That plus the way they advertise simplified movement and fighting mechanics, which doesn't look good in the previews, makes me very wary. That said, they have a demo for it on their website, so I might as well try that out.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

quote:

ELDERBORN is a Metal Action Fantasy Slasher with brütal FPP melee combat and souls-like/RPG character progression.

They're trying just a bit too hard.

(bolding mine)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

catlord posted:

Yeah, but it's not an aesthetic I like in the slightest. That plus the way they advertise simplified movement and fighting mechanics, which doesn't look good in the previews, makes me very wary. That said, they have a demo for it on their website, so I might as well try that out.
Personally, I actually didn't even like the game all that much, but that's maybe being a bit superficial? It honestly doesn't really affect the gameplay at all, but I suppose if the presentation really matters that much to you, then playing the demo first would be a good idea. If I remember it correctly, it's basically a complete game with the only limitation being that you can only play as one of the available classes, so it'll give you a good idea of how well the full game would work for you.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 28, 2020

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Honestly Children of Morta feels more like Diablo 1 than any other game in recent history.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Played the demo for Book of Demons (I think I might have tried it before once, too) and I don't like it at all! :toot:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Personally, I actually didn't even like the game all that much, but that's maybe being a bit superficial? It honestly doesn't really affect the gameplay at all, but I suppose if the presentation really matters that much to you, then playing the demo first would be a good idea. If I remember it correctly, it's basically a complete game with the only limitation being that you can only play as one of the available classes, so it'll give you a good idea of how well the full game would work for you.

It's an awful aesthetic. There's no need to have the graphics be a symbolic representation of a sword when you can just have the graphic be a sword. In Magic the Gathering, cards represent actual things. In-universe (at least in-universe back when I played Magic, around the early 2000s, maybe they changed poo poo when they got rid of mana burn), planeswalkers aren't Yu-Gi-Oh slamming down cards for effects, that's just how it's represented to us as players without visuals. That's not an issue in video games, and using the card aesthetic adds a bizarre and unnecessary layer of abstraction between the player and the game that I find worse than just about any graphical style.

Anyway, I played the demo and I did not like it at all. The stripped down movement and combat made it feel like something I'd have played on Newgrounds back in 2003. Being unable to move beyond forward and back meant that your tactical options are limited, the bosses/legendary enemies are annoying rather than thrilling (to be fair, a theme that applies to several regular enemy types as well), and the card system making you choose between items and skills feels real bad. On the semi-plus side, it's got a nice art style, though I never felt like it was being used particularly well.

It's not the same gameplay, but I'm thinking Darkest Dungeon might be the best choice of a Diablo 1 successor, I might grab that while it's on sale.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, you seem to have pretty strong feelings about that. I don't really get it, but if it's not for you, then I guess that's that.

catlord posted:

It's not the same gameplay, but I'm thinking Darkest Dungeon might be the best choice of a Diablo 1 successor, I might grab that while it's on sale.
It really isn't anything like Diablo at all, fair warning there. Darkest Dungeon is a party-based dungeon crawler with turn-based combat, expendable characters and a heavy emphasis on resource management. I don't think it's going to be the kind of game you want.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

catlord posted:

i'm immensely curious how you reach this conclusion

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Yeah, of any games listed as similar, those two are about as far apart as you can get without throwing in a Dark Souls comparison.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you're comparing the tone of the games I guess.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Artelier posted:

How's Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus? Still itching for a fast paced shooter with good gun feel, looking to charge in and shoot crazy things off. Loved The New Order but got tired of Old Blood pretty quickly, felt a bit too squishy there. But could just be because I played them back to back.

wolf 2 is absolutely not fast paced

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

It really isn't anything like Diablo at all, fair warning there. Darkest Dungeon is a party-based dungeon crawler with turn-based combat, expendable characters and a heavy emphasis on resource management. I don't think it's going to be the kind of game you want.

Lone Goat posted:

i'm immensely curious how you reach this conclusion

Yeah, it's not an ARPG, but it is a slow, almost survival horror fantasy game like Diablo 1 was. It's got the feel, if not the gameplay, and the feel is one of the reasons I love Diablo 1 so much. That creeping dread, the sense that you got stronger and more powerful but you're still facing horrendous odds. Part of where I feel Diablo 2 stumbled is that you are far more competent, facing larger hordes and cleaving through them faster. Diablo 1 has a deliberateness to it, I assume a holdover from it's turn-based roots, and from what I've seen, Darkest Dungeon is similarly deliberate.

So, yeah, definitely tone and feel is a large part of my comparison.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Boy howdy is Warcraft 3 Reforged not even remotely ready for release tomorrow if the beta is any indication.

Man, I've got my finger on the refund button if there's no day one patch that miraculously makes it run at anything above 5 fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

is this frog fractions

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1194840/Frog_Fractions_Game_of_the_Decade_Edition/