Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

got any sevens posted:

Ive never played a metroid game but you could probably start with samus having a team and one new guy is the audience insert, and he has to hide in some tech room in the middle as she goes alone in her special armor and he talks her thru it on the radio, rhen he has to fight off somethjng on his own and loses the radio so they each have individual final fights

Well if there's one thing that always goes over well it's making a movie about something badass except you spend all your time following some generic white guy around instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I wonder what the guy who played Goku is up to

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Alan Smithee posted:

He was one of the mains in Shameless and was recently in that really really bad Netflix scifi show "Another Life" playing Katie Sackoffs husband.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Variety is reporting that Paramount is currently developing two competing reboots for the Transformers franchise. One from James Vanderbilt (Ready or Not, a bunch of bad movies) and one from Joby Harold (John Wick 3.)

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Make it visually true to G! and have the story revolve around Soundwave, cowards.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Variety is reporting that Paramount is currently developing two competing reboots for the Transformers franchise. One from James Vanderbilt (Ready or Not, a bunch of bad movies) and one from Joby Harold (John Wick 3.)

Here's hoping Hasbro actually let the movies crib from something not the 1980s cartoon for once.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

muscles like this! posted:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/wBDWCTV.jpg[/img

Edit: actually, if they have both and tell people to vote with their dollars, they might clean up.

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 28, 2020

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

The MSJ posted:

Here's hoping Hasbro actually let the movies crib from something not the 1980s cartoon for once.

You shut your whore mouth.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Beachcomber posted:

Edit: actually, if they have both and tell people to vote with their dollars, they might clean up.

I'd watch John Wick, but with robots.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Knowing Hasbro, they might actually make a fan poll.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

You shut your whore mouth.

Look, I just want a robot made out of trains punch a flying poet shark.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 28, 2020

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

He and Bulma were both in Shameless. I think he's supposed to be some kind of bad boy car thief that has an on-again off-again with her or something.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Everything after G1 is just Gobots. :colbert:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Beast Wars was actually interested in telling a story beyond being a toy commercial. The CG animation is crude as hell by today's standards, but the medium was new and they were pushing boundaries (Mainframe was the studio behind the Money For Nothing video.) Unlike G1 Transformers, which looked cheap because it was a toy commercial for idiot 80s kids trained to watch toy commercials.

What I'm saying is, make a Beast Wars movie. No human characters.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I saw Bumblebee last week and after four movies they finally got it right on the fifth time. Dunno if this two-competing-reboots business will mean they hew more towards Bumblebee or do something completely different.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
A sigh of disappointment of “of course” washes over the nation with the news that Robert Zemeckis is directing a live-action remake of Pinocchio.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

AccountSupervisor posted:

He was one of the mains in Shameless and was recently in that really really bad Netflix scifi show "Another Life" playing Katie Sackoffs husband.

Another Life is dope. It's like 8 different shows crammed in together. It's a rad kind of stupid.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://youtu.be/WoRe6usblA8

quote:

Tim Mahoney investigates one of the greatest miracles of the Bible. Did a mighty sea split? What secrets will be revealed? 

After leaving Egypt, the Bible describes the Israelites crossing a deep sea that was miraculously split with walls of water on their right and left. When the Egyptians and their chariot force pursued, the water came crashing back down to destroy the entire army. Are miracles of this kind even possible?

Skeptics contend that no evidence has ever been found for huge numbers of people crossing the wilderness or a mighty sea. Does the lack of evidence at the traditional sites mean the events didn’t happen, or might we have been looking in wrong places all along?

Join Timothy Mahoney in the next chapter of the series as he retraces the steps of Moses and the Israelites, looking for answers in Patterns of Evidence: The Red Sea Miracle Part 1 & 2.

Hear ideas from all sides of the debate as you journey back to the lands of the Bible in search of answers to one of the Bible’s biggest mysteries; where is the lost sea of the Exodus, and what really happened there? Can a patterns approach help to solve the problem?

"Thinking Man Studios"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

A sigh of disappointment of “of course” washes over the nation with the news that Robert Zemeckis is directing a live-action remake of Pinocchio.

I know Guillermo Del Toro has a billion projects in varying states of production, but wasn’t this one of them at one point?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
GDT directing a remake of Roberto Begnini's Pinocchio would be incredible.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Lobok posted:

I saw Bumblebee last week and after four movies they finally got it right on the fifth time. Dunno if this two-competing-reboots business will mean they hew more towards Bumblebee or do something completely different.

I really liked the short Cybertron segment in that movie. It just looked cool to have the original Transformers look like themselves, but also murdering each other.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While Bumblebee didn't make as much as some of the Bay movies it had a much smaller budget so it was easier for it to be profitable. Hopefully they learned their lesson of "keep Michael Bay away."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Alan Smithee posted:

That movie holds a special significance to me because while I had seen plenty of trailers and movies and thought they sucked, that was the first time I saw a trailer and though "who greenlighted this poo poo?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDBcF5i3bdM

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'd like a movie that is somehow able to convey the incredible damage an 8,000,000 year war did to the universe. It's no wonder Op Prime is crazy, it's ptsd.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Beachcomber posted:

I'd like a movie that is somehow able to convey the incredible damage an 8,000,000 year war did to the universe. It's no wonder Op Prime is crazy, it's ptsd.

i feel like TF media mostly squares this circle by having it be a brief war, followed by an 8,000,000 year stalemate/cold war, followed by poo poo popping off again at roughly the starting point of whatever series it is

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'Geewunners' are particularly mocked in TF fan circles because while quality has varied wildly over the years, they were generally at least acceptable for the time. G1 has aged like milk. Have you tried to watch an entire episode as an adult?

About the only series that could maybe be worse quality than G1 is maybe Transformers Energon, and that was mostly just boring and obviously low budget.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
This is the Megatron I want. Eventually.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

can you say what you do

Probably not. I'm there cheering on a fight. I may or may not have pushed my way to being in the centre of the mezzanine opposite the camera, so if you see a tall fat man with a beard and too much hair in the middle of the crowd, that's me.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Probably not. I'm there cheering on a fight. I may or may not have pushed my way to being in the centre of the mezzanine opposite the camera, so if you see a tall fat man with a beard and too much hair in the middle of the crowd, that's me.

Are you holding a fang tian hua ji

While dressed like a Lin Kuei Warrior

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

'Geewunners' are particularly mocked in TF fan circles because while quality has varied wildly over the years, they were generally at least acceptable for the time. G1 has aged like milk. Have you tried to watch an entire episode as an adult?

About the only series that could maybe be worse quality than G1 is maybe Transformers Energon, and that was mostly just boring and obviously low budget.

Yes, I have, it's a typical 80s cartoon with some high quality voice acting and terrific music for the time. It's whatever, when people champion G1 it's mostly because of the original movie which, although it has also aged poorly in many respects, is still highly entertaining and extremely creative visually.

I hated the first Bayformers and so I didn't watch any of the others until I decided to check out The Last Knight on Netflix one day, and god that is one of the most miserable movie experiences I've had in the past decade. I have no idea how this subforum became so enamored with them, but I also don't care to get into that discussion.

Either way, Bumblebee is basically G1 and is a totally fine movie?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Bumblebee is not all G1. The parts off Cybertron had less of a fanservice feel to them.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Hakkesshu posted:

I have no idea how this subforum became so enamored with them, but I also don't care to get into that discussion.

Either way, Bumblebee is basically G1 and is a totally fine movie?

Long story short, the director, deliberately or not, framed the Autobots as lying genocidal psychopaths. At least as far as I understand that argument.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The MSJ posted:

Bumblebee is not all G1. The parts off Cybertron had less of a fanservice feel to them.

I don't know that I agree with that, as someone who still likes those designs despite everything, I definitely got a fanservice-y kick out of that sequence. I think the main thing to point out re: Bumblebee is that the entire movie is not just fanservice.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Everything after G1 is just Gobots. :colbert:

I'm sure Shatter in the Bumblebee movie is supposed to be Crasher.

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't know that I agree with that, as someone who still likes those designs despite everything, I definitely got a fanservice-y kick out of that sequence. I think the main thing to point out re: Bumblebee is that the entire movie is not just fanservice.

That's why I said the parts that were not on Cybertron. Killing off Cliffjumper for example is something that originated outside of the cartoon, or making Blitzwing a member of of Starscream's Seeker army instead of the more unique cartoon version.

You can tell they limited the fanservice of even the Cybertron scenes because Shockwave and Soundwave never transformed. Hasbro does not want them to have G1 alt modes by default.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jan 28, 2020

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Oh, I totally misread you, and yeah we basically agree.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Beachcomber posted:

Long story short, the director, deliberately or not, framed the Autobots as lying genocidal psychopaths. At least as far as I understand that argument.

Basically while there's more layers of vintage internet irony poisoning involved than I care to count, yeah, and in general the movies are such a tonal and thematic complete mess that they're fun to overthink massively about.

The other Transformers series have their ups and downs but are fun. Beast Wars is one of the earlier cases of actually sneaking an ongoing story with character development and nuance into a toy commercial. (Partly because of the limitations of early CGI; when you can only create so many characters, turns out you might as well give them interesting personalities) Robots In Disguise (the original one) is a goofy anime series that has a lot of variety including the bullet trains, who adopt a non-sentient steam engine as an honorary grandpa, and that poor woman who appears in almost every single episode getting her vacations ruined by collateral damage, zany schemes and/or a confused horny Autobot. And Sky-Byte, who is like Starscream inverted in the very best ways.

The anime/CG trilogy after that is pretty forgettable, while Transformers Animated, short-lived as it sadly was, is really funny to watch in retrospect because it's like a gender-flipped Steven Universe at times. (Of course, the Gems are basically like an 80s toyline cartoon premise themselves)

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Metroid movie should have the Space Pirates be the viewpoint characters getting their poo poo steadily wrecked by Samus.

I'm ok with a Metroid movie only if Samus is played by Gwendoline Christie.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Beachcomber posted:

https://twitter.com/PaperPlaneTF/status/1148651148582227974

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Beachcomber posted:

This is the Megatron I want. Eventually.

A Megatron for ants?